PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia - Mountian Momma

soonersam
11/2/2011, 02:11 PM
If one of the main reasons to keep the Big12 together was Geographical.... Why is WV at 1,200 miles away such a good fit?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/2/2011, 02:31 PM
I very much agree with you on this. People were complaining about traveling to California and other states out west. Well, there are 49 other states I would much rather visit than WV.

jumperstop
11/2/2011, 02:33 PM
It mostly sucks for them...We would have been in the Pac-12 if we had been invited.

soonervegas
11/2/2011, 02:54 PM
Because it had 0 to do with travel....and never did.

badger
11/2/2011, 02:57 PM
West Virginia fits for many reasons, but the main one is they guaranteed that they could be in the Big 12 by the time Mizzou left, Big East wait clause be damned.

And it's not 1200 miles away from every Big 12 school :)

soonersam
11/2/2011, 03:10 PM
Ding Ding Ding.. We have a winner folks!!

Never had anything to do with travel!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/2/2011, 03:11 PM
More tv watchers, a new market. $$$

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/2/2011, 04:18 PM
They have a lot in common...with OSU. Both of them can't even spell their school's name!

Jacie
11/2/2011, 04:24 PM
Wait till the first time WV fans show up in Norman for a game. Hope the restaurants still have those "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" signs displayed . . .

Sooner_Tuf
11/2/2011, 04:25 PM
I'm stoked about adding West Virginia to the Big XII. Gorgeous state, full of hunters that actually hunt, full of Americans that speak English, better than adding another Texas team. Plus they have a number of good programs besides football.

West Virginia is a pretty cool place. Lots of things to do when you are there. People are great, it's win/win as far as I am concerned.

Sooner_Tuf
11/2/2011, 04:31 PM
Wait till the first time WV fans show up in Norman for a game. Hope the restaurants still have those "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" signs displayed . . .

Seriously Clark. I think the ones that travel will have shoes. Just like when we travel we don't take our meth addicts with us.

I am going to take a stab that Hannawa Falls, NY is as remote if not more remote than anywhere in West Virginia. I'll bet they can buy groceries without crossing an international border.

OU GENO
11/2/2011, 05:07 PM
Travel by car long way travel by air! OU fans will travel Oregon,Washington,all calif. schools, Ariz, Flor. you name it we go there. Unless you are a donor you won't get tickets from OU anyway. Another state to pull in tv viewers and keep the conference going for schedueling! I welcome West Virginia to the conference!

picasso
11/2/2011, 08:13 PM
I love that song.

C&CDean
11/2/2011, 08:19 PM

Sounds to me like you've been listening to Traber on the Animal. Meh.

West Virginia is a beautiful state full of very nice people. Not unlike Oklahoma. Do we have our tweakers in Shawnee and dildos in Tulsa? Sure. Just like them. Overall, great folks and a seriously gorgeous state. I look forward to having them join the conference.

11/2/2011, 08:33 PM
They are known for making good decisions. Robert Byrd and Jay Rockerfeller, for example. Perhaps this decision to join the Big 12 will work out as well.

Blue
11/2/2011, 08:50 PM
I'm stoked about adding West Virginia to the Big XII. Gorgeous state, full of hunters that actually hunt, full of Americans that speak English, better than adding another Texas team. Plus they have a number of good programs besides football.

West Virginia is a pretty cool place. Lots of things to do when you are there. People are great, it's win/win as far as I am concerned.

+1. Love West Virginia! Can't wait to hit a road game in late November and hit up Snowshoe or early Sept and do some canoeing on the New or Gauley rivers.

Plus the womenz aint bad either. I was pleasantly surprised at the women of Huntington.

btk108
11/2/2011, 08:53 PM
Sounds to me like you've been listening to Traber on the Animal. Meh.

West Virginia is a beautiful state full of very nice people. Not unlike Oklahoma. Do we have our tweakers in Shawnee and dildos in Tulsa? Sure. Just like them. Overall, great folks and a seriously gorgeous state. I look forward to having them join the conference.

Why we gotta pick on Tulsa? Wait, because it's Tulsa :nightmare:

BoomerJ
11/2/2011, 09:02 PM
This thread title is misleading.

sooneredaco
11/2/2011, 09:04 PM
I've only been to WV one time and it was really awesome! Beautiful country. I was there for a music festival, no complaints from me

CarolinaSoonerFan
11/2/2011, 09:06 PM
I'm excited about this, its now the closest conf. game I could realistically go to. Just about an 8 hour drive.

sooneron
11/2/2011, 09:16 PM
full of Americans that speak English,
Seriously, you didn't really engage in any conversation, did you? I've been through there countless times and they make Coal Miner's Daughter the movie look like a trip to Harvard.

DCsooner22
11/2/2011, 09:55 PM
I posted this in another thread about WV - it's so I can FINALLY attend an OU game out here! Only 4-5 hours from DC!

And yes, it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful; I go camping there at least once a summer. Salamander HEAVEN!

That John Denver was definitely NOT full of sh!t, man.... (altered quote, but name the movie anyway).

sooneron
11/2/2011, 10:05 PM
Dumb & Dumber. Fitting for Appalachian types...

Blue
11/2/2011, 10:41 PM
nm.

hornswaggled
11/2/2011, 11:12 PM
WV has oil and gas fields, too. In my career I have met several people from there. It's true they have a distinctive dialect, but all of the people I know from WV are honest, down-home folks.

On the Monday morning after the '08 Fiesta Bowl I stepped into the frac van and met a young engineer who graduated from WVU. He was nothing but respectful, gracious and humble. I came to consider him as one of the best frac engineers that the service company had.

I think the Mountaineers will add a lot to Big XII play.

ouduckhunter
11/2/2011, 11:19 PM
WV is a beautiful state with lots of nice people, and lots of good, fried food!! My brother, an OU grad, and his family live there so future games against WV will be a good excuse for a visit and a game! Boomer!

ouwasp
11/2/2011, 11:26 PM
First OU game I ever went to was against WVU, I think in '78. I had never been around anyone that was drunk.

There was a tanked WV fan back behind us, constantly yelling at their coach "Cignetti, you bum! You need your *** fired!"

Before the game I overheard a couple of WV band girls complaining to one another: "Gosh, the Oklahoma folks don't even know where we're from; a lady asked me if we had a good trip from Wake Forest!" I laughed at that remark.

Lott, King, Sims, etc had a big day. Back then they printed the future skeds in the program. As the game neared the end, the guy dressed as a mountain man pumped his musket in the air, grinned and said "We'll be back in '82!"

Little did we know...

11/3/2011, 12:29 AM
First OU game I ever went to was against WVU, I think in '78. I had never been around anyone that was drunk.

There was a tanked WV fan back behind us, constantly yelling at their coach "Cignetti, you bum! You need your *** fired!"

Before the game I overheard a couple of WV band girls complaining to one another: "Gosh, the Oklahoma folks don't even know where we're from; a lady asked me if we had a good trip from Wake Forest!" I laughed at that remark.

Lott, King, Sims, etc had a big day. Back then they printed the future skeds in the program. As the game neared the end, the guy dressed as a mountain man pumped his musket in the air, grinned and said "We'll be back in '82!"

Little did we know...Yeah, they thumped us REAL GOOD in '82. I was at the game, and I believe we were up 21-0, and Switzer started putting in subs. The Mt Mamas then proceeded to stun us with Jeff Hostetler's passing, and held down our offense, too. They smoked us, but not as badly as they did at the Fiesta Bowl of '08, Yeesh, what a nightmare that was.

Sooner95
11/3/2011, 06:12 AM
I'm pretty stoked about it as well. Living in Western PA, a trip to Morgantown is not only close but damned exciting considering the madhouse that it is during big time football games.

delhalew
11/3/2011, 09:00 AM
I'm gonna enjoy the hillbillies.

SoonerJack
11/3/2011, 09:09 AM
WV is gorgeous country. Low mountains superthick with trees. We drove through there on a trip to DC several years ago and that was the one place of which I wanted to see more. DC...not so much.

jkjsooner
11/3/2011, 09:34 AM
I very much agree with you on this. People were complaining about traveling to California and other states out west. Well, there are 49 other states I would much rather visit than WV.

We almost never play in the mid Atlantic. For someone who lives in NC, I look forward to seeing an OU game in Morgantown.

BTW, WV is a very pretty state.

Mississippi Sooner
11/3/2011, 09:54 AM
I'm also among those that think West Virginia is a beautiful state. However, back in my truck driving days I hated it. There are few places in that state where you aren't going up or downhill and on some very curvy roads. Made for a lot of fun if I was hauling something like 5,000 pound aluminum coils.

Jason Alexander
11/3/2011, 12:47 PM
Seriously Clark. I think the ones that travel will have shoes. Just like when we travel we don't take our meth addicts with us.

I'd be offended if I didn't sell my computer for more meth.

badger
11/3/2011, 12:59 PM
Even if it's a lengthy road trip, you east coast transplants have gotta be digging this move. Sooner football and basketball coming out there on a regular basis? Score one for you guys! :)

And yeah, I realize you west coasters must be uber bummed because of no Pac 12ish move. I am sure we'll still get some non-conference games out there.

oudivesherpa
11/3/2011, 02:02 PM
Morgantown is only 4 hours from DC and the grandkids, I see a football weekend and a trip to the grandkids. Plus it gives OU east coast exposure.

BoomerJ
11/3/2011, 03:55 PM
If only our away game with WV would coincide with Jescofest.

jkjsooner
11/3/2011, 04:22 PM
Even if it's a lengthy road trip, you east coast transplants have gotta be digging this move. Sooner football and basketball coming out there on a regular basis? Score one for you guys! :)

And yeah, I realize you west coasters must be uber bummed because of no Pac 12ish move. I am sure we'll still get some non-conference games out there.

It's about time. It seems we make 4 or more trips to the west coast for every one we take east. Prior to the Miami and FSU trips I can't think of any east coast regular season trips we've made since '94 Syracuse. (Not counting Alabama/Louisville/Cincy as east coast.)

Crimsonandcream
11/3/2011, 10:11 PM
I for one don't relish the idea of having to play WV on a regular basis. If anyone has forgotten, they have beaten us the last two times we've played them. For you other old folks like myself, do you remember WV and Jeff Hostetler coming to Norman, I think in the late 80's and he lit us up like a candle. Galen Hall was the Offensive Coordinator and failed to pick up two straight onsides kicks in the 2nd quarter. I can understand the first one, esp. in the first half, but there was no excuse not to have our "hands" guys up on the second one. I remember the whole stadium shouting, "Onsides! Onsides!"

Sooner_Tuf
11/3/2011, 11:08 PM
Seriously, you didn't really engage in any conversation, did you? I've been through there countless times and they make Coal Miner's Daughter the movie look like a trip to Harvard.

Yes I have spent a fair amount of time in Charleston, Beckley, and in the mountain town of Pineville. The Greenbrier is my favorite resort in North America. I love Oklahoma but we don't have as much here as the people of West Virginia have there.

Maybe next time you go through there you should do a little research first. There really is a lot going on there.

Sooner_Tuf
11/3/2011, 11:11 PM
I for one don't relish the idea of having to play WV on a regular basis. If anyone has forgotten, they have beaten us the last two times we've played them. For you other old folks like myself, do you remember WV and Jeff Hostetler coming to Norman, I think in the late 80's and he lit us up like a candle. Galen Hall was the Offensive Coordinator and failed to pick up two straight onsides kicks in the 2nd quarter. I can understand the first one, esp. in the first half, but there was no excuse not to have our "hands" guys up on the second one. I remember the whole stadium shouting, "Onsides! Onsides!"

Personally I think it is good that we are not adding patsy teams to the Big XII. TCU will come in pretty strong I think and West Virginia will quickly be one of the best teams in the Conference. Now if we can just get Missouri to actually leave ...

swardboy
11/4/2011, 06:53 AM
If only our away game with WV would coincide with Jescofest.

There are other sports to go over there for.....wait, I didn't say that......

soonersam
11/4/2011, 04:12 PM
I actuall travel to West Virginia for all my Dental cleanings and Arkansas for my Orthodontist.

PalmBeachSooner
11/4/2011, 04:32 PM
WVU has some seriously good lookin womens and they love to do the shout. At least that's been my experience.

BTW, it's a lot different travelling to one school 1200 miles away every oher year than it to travel to the left coas 3-4 times a year.

StoopTroup
11/4/2011, 09:37 PM
It's cool the Big East got them a New Suit. :D