PDA

View Full Version : Texas Judge beats daughter, she records and uploads it

MR2-Sooner86
11/2/2011, 11:01 AM
Wl9y3SIPt7o

2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter.

Prodigal
11/2/2011, 11:14 AM
This should not be posted.

Three messed up people.

NormanPride
11/2/2011, 11:29 AM
Horrifying...

OULenexaman
11/2/2011, 11:35 AM
bastard....he should have just made her eat a McRib or something..

badger
11/2/2011, 01:07 PM
This video is highly disturbing. More info behind it here. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2011/11/02/texas_judge_william_adams_allegedly_beating_his_da ughter_is_inte.html)

I can understand being angry over illegal computer use... just take away the computer! Goodness...

sooner_born_1960
11/2/2011, 01:31 PM
I don't want to turn the volume up at work. What was her illegal computer use?

olevetonahill
11/2/2011, 01:33 PM
Beat Datass
Am I the only one who thinks this stinks because of the long delay in her posting it?

badger
11/2/2011, 01:46 PM
I don't want to turn the volume up at work. What was her illegal computer use?

It sounded like either downloading games or music via Kazaa. It's what a bunch of us college kids did before iTunes really caught on.

jumperstop
11/2/2011, 01:48 PM
Dude...there is a different between a spank and a beating....I'm ok with spanking maybe not the best punishment for a 16 y.o, but whipping them with a leather belt is beyond ****ed up...

cleller
11/2/2011, 01:58 PM
As a dad, and a believer in spanking when necessary, I thought this was sickening. He has completely misfired at any attempt to behave like a man.
To repeatedly whip a crying teenage girl like that is pathetic. There is something wrong inside him to think this is how you establish authority.

badger
11/2/2011, 02:01 PM
Apparently the judge has been getting punished by the Internet to the point that they had to disconnect his phone line. He has been getting pranked with pizza deliveries to the home address and he's been getting death threats, in addition to a lot of really, really bad publicity and nasty comments.

The judge has apparently said that he apologized and that the video isn't as bad as it looks. Ja, easy for the one holding the belt to say!

NormanPride
11/2/2011, 02:25 PM
How can that possibly be not as bad as it looks?

badger
11/2/2011, 02:32 PM

He probably means that this beating that his daughter captured was not as bad as other ones that she could have captured on video. :mad:

Breadburner
11/2/2011, 02:42 PM
Welll....Atleast she didn't have to sit in the bathroom with STEP....!!!

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 02:49 PM

That's my thought too. It's not like you can't see what's going on...or it's a blurry video. I would submit that it is, in fact, worse than it looks.

This guy needs to be removed from the bench. Spanking is one thing, abuse is another.

Tiptonsooner
11/2/2011, 02:52 PM
I'd like to have 7:35 alone with him. He can even have his belt. I can't imagine even talking to my daughter like that.

That infuriated the hell out of me. It's from 2004, hope he got his by now.

Tiptonsooner
11/2/2011, 02:58 PM
May he die in a fire....

KantoSooner
11/2/2011, 03:06 PM
In my mind's eye, I see this young woman bringing her new friends home with her. Miranda Lambert, Pink and Tina Turner. It would be an interesting weekend for Hizonner.

<and a video I'd pay good money to watch>

northspeter
11/2/2011, 05:05 PM
haven't seen anyone mention it yet... but the mom's a POS too...

badger
11/2/2011, 05:43 PM
That infuriated the hell out of me. It's from 2004, hope he got his by now.

If he hasn't, he's definitely getting it now. A Texas Ranger investigation, stories across every news organization and national TV showing you whipping your teen daughter with the "big" belt while using the F-word like a big tough guy.

Not to mention all of that stuff mentioned above -- the death threats, pizza delivery pranks, etc.

Funny thing is this guy is apparently not even up for re-election. Apparently she was just getting harassed by him to the point that she felt like releasing it to tell him to STFU.

Bet he REALLY feels like beating her now. She gets the last laugh. She's a hero to everyone who's ever been beaten and wishes they could get revenge for all those times they've been hit by an over aggressive "father."

OhU1
11/2/2011, 06:12 PM
I detest bullies. This guy needs his *** kicked IMO.

Does it strike anyone else as a little sick and perverted that he insists on whipping his 16 year old daughter on her butt?

cleller
11/2/2011, 06:15 PM
If he hasn't, he's definitely getting it now. A Texas Ranger investigation, stories across every news organization and national TV showing you whipping your teen daughter with the "big" belt while using the F-word like a big tough guy.

Not to mention all of that stuff mentioned above -- the death threats, pizza delivery pranks, etc.

Funny thing is this guy is apparently not even up for re-election. Apparently she was just getting harassed by him to the point that she felt like releasing it to tell him to STFU.

Bet he REALLY feels like beating her now. She gets the last laugh. She's a hero to everyone who's ever been beaten and wishes they could get revenge for all those times they've been hit by an over aggressive "father."

What goes around....

AlbqSooner
11/2/2011, 07:52 PM
Parents have gone to jail for less. Another article I read said that he presides over Family Court. I wonder who would get custody in a divorce proceeding in his court if this kind of video was put into evidence.

He needs to be beaten with a belt until he has blood blisters on his *** and legs. Sick Bastage!

booomer
11/2/2011, 08:57 PM
Here is a CNN story about the incident. Very weird story all the way around! :confusion:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/02/justice/texas-video-beating/

sooneron
11/2/2011, 10:22 PM
I feel not well after watching that. I would love afew minutes with that "man".

Vet, you are ****ed up for posting what you did. This POS needs to be taken down. BAD. It's one thing to spank, it's another to abuse and that is the power trip that this fcuck is on. **** him, may he burn . Prosecute him and stick him in gen pop. That is where he belongs. I don't usually hope death upon someone, but I hope his sucks until his last breath.

AlboSooner
11/2/2011, 11:35 PM
Just terrible. Messed up parents.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2011, 09:17 AM
I think the girl is in need of some professional help, saw her on TV and she seems as looney as a bat... I think all around the family is effed up. But I don't think this girl is a victim, she probably egged it on, and who has a "hidden" video camera set up to record this??? She new she was doing wrong, her Judge father repeatedly told her not to illegally download material (which probably means more if your parent is in law enforcement and a judge), she continued to do it and got the punishment. I never had a belt taken to me, but knew of friends who had.

NormanPride
11/3/2011, 09:29 AM
I think the girl is in need of some professional help, saw her on TV and she seems as looney as a bat... I think all around the family is effed up. But I don't think this girl is a victim, she probably egged it on, and who has a "hidden" video camera set up to record this??? She new she was doing wrong, her Judge father repeatedly told her not to illegally download material (which probably means more if your parent is in law enforcement and a judge), she continued to do it and got the punishment. I never had a belt taken to me, but knew of friends who had.

You have some serious ****ing issues if you don't think this girl is a victim. No matter how loony she is or how much she "egged him on" (WTF?), nobody deserves to be treated like that, especially not by their parents.

Partial Qualifier
11/3/2011, 09:50 AM
Lars Ulrich approves..

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/3/2011, 09:58 AM
There's a special place in hell for child abusers.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2011, 10:42 AM
I have no issues,

We don't have the full story or what actually all happened in the family.

MsProudSooner
11/3/2011, 10:46 AM
I have no issues,

We don't have the full story or what actually all happened in the family.

There is absolutely no justification for a parent abusing their offspring in that manner. I don't care what she did or said.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2011, 10:48 AM
I guess you would be against Singapore's punishment that allows the use of a rattan cane.

badger
11/3/2011, 10:49 AM

I have no doubt that kids know how to push their parents' buttons by the time they reach 16. That still doesn't justify a grown man whipping his teen daughter with a "big" belt.

If she appeared to be messed up or looney, it makes sense. I think any of us would be more messed or looney if we were subjected to that kind of "parenting" as a kid/teen.

MsProudSooner
11/3/2011, 10:52 AM
I have no doubt that kids know how to push their parents' buttons by the time they reach 16. That still doesn't justify a grown man whipping his teen daughter with a "big" belt.

If she appeared to be messed up or looney, it makes sense. I think any of us would be more messed or looney if we were subjected to that kind of "parenting" as a kid/teen.

I agree. To add to whatever 'issues' she might have, she has Cerebral Palsy.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2011, 10:55 AM
Okay, I understand everyone's opinion. I don't think use of a belt is correct, but we don't know what all happened. This family appears effed up in many cases. But why release the video 7 years after the act and now she says her father has been punished enough... WTH? You knew it would cause a fire storm when you put it on You Tube. So why are you backing away now? You were treated bad by your father, getting help? then file a complaint with the officials.

I wouldn't parent like that, I can see getting mad as all and doing it, but I wouldn't spank/beat like that, in full disclosure, I have no children. I will wait to judge more fully until I hear the whole story. Why is the wife in the video not protesting? Lots of questions, few answers.

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 11:15 AM
^this

KantoSooner
11/3/2011, 11:38 AM
I guess you would be against Singapore's punishment that allows the use of a rattan cane.

Singapore (and Malaysia and Indonesia) use the rotan (malay for 'rattan') only on adults and only after a legal proceeding. And their legal proceedings are based on British law and are quite familiar and comfortable feeling for Americans. They are not kangaroo courts. Further, a doctor is present during the caning with the authority to halt the punishment if permanent damage is risked (you have to go back to finish your 'strokes' after you heal up, but they don't beat people to death).
It's not the same as an enraged, power-tripping bully beating you until they decide you've had enough.
The little ****head American kid who'd vandalized the cars in Singapore should have manned up and taken his whacks.

MsProudSooner
11/3/2011, 11:42 AM
Okay, I understand everyone's opinion. I don't think use of a belt is correct, but we don't know what all happened. This family appears effed up in many cases. But why release the video 7 years after the act and now she says her father has been punished enough... WTH? You knew it would cause a fire storm when you put it on You Tube. So why are you backing away now? You were treated bad by your father, getting help? then file a complaint with the officials.

I wouldn't parent like that, I can see getting mad as all and doing it, but I wouldn't spank/beat like that, in full disclosure, I have no children. I will wait to judge more fully until I hear the whole story. Why is the wife in the video not protesting? Lots of questions, few answers.

Desperate people do desperate things. Posting the video is better than resorting to violence of their own, which is what some abused children have done.

I agree that not all the facts are known.

badger
11/3/2011, 11:45 AM
I will wait to judge more fully until I hear the whole story. Why is the wife in the video not protesting? Lots of questions, few answers.

More and more is emerging each day as the video gets more viral. Here's a link (http://newsok.com/dad-caught-on-video-beating-daughter-needs-help/article/feed/313704?custom_click=lead_story_title).

"In my mind, I haven't done anything wrong other than discipline my child after she was caught stealing," Adams said. "And I did lose my temper, but I've since apologized."

"it's a shining perfect example of his personality and he believes he can do no wrong. ... He will cover up rather than admit to what he did and try to come clean."

Hallie Adams said she was "completely brainwashed and controlled" by her ex-husband.

"I did every single thing that he did," she told NBC.

soonerbrat
11/3/2011, 12:17 PM
You have some serious ****ing issues if you don't think this girl is a victim. No matter how loony she is or how much she "egged him on" (WTF?), nobody deserves to be treated like that, especially not by their parents.

she's probably looney as a bat because she was abused. also the fact that she had cerebral palsy...she was physically weak too. she probably put the camera up because it was a pattern of abuse and knew she'd have a chance. That guy needs to be drawn and quartered

soonerbrat
11/3/2011, 12:20 PM

she didn't release it becuase she feared for her younger sister & mother's safety. until you've been abused like the mother has been - I'm sure she was abused too - you don't understand what happens to you. did you read the CNN story?

soonerbrat
11/3/2011, 12:21 PM
Oh, and I hope to God that you don't procreate if you think treating your child like that is OK

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 12:23 PM
Oh, and I hope to God that you don't procreate if you think treating your child like that is OK
I aint saying its OK by any means
Just questioning the timing and Motive at this late date .

soonerbrat
11/3/2011, 12:24 PM
I aint saying its OK by any means
Just questioning the timing and Motive at this late date .

did you read the part about fearing for the safety of her younger sister? no matter what the motivation, that man needed to be exposed.

SoonerProphet
11/3/2011, 12:33 PM
You are one f*cked up individual in you even remotely feel that this cat has any legit reason to beat his child like that.

NormanPride
11/3/2011, 12:41 PM
I have no idea what evidence or other part of any kind of story could possibly lead to that video as an acceptable outcome.

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 12:43 PM
did you read the part about fearing for the safety of her younger sister? no matter what the motivation, that man needed to be exposed.
Naw, Like I said I dont think its right at all

Midtowner
11/3/2011, 12:49 PM
Aside from this, I wonder how many more lives he ruined while on the bench? He needs to be removed and disbarred post haste. I don't think there could possibly be an explanation of that video which changes my mind. Res ipsa loquitur.

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 12:54 PM
Anyone who defends the dude is an idiot
Anyone who doesn't question the daughters Motives for waiting 7 years is also an idiot
So she says she was scared for her Mom an Sis?

Then why the hell not release it or at least take it to the PoPo ?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/3/2011, 01:04 PM

FU buster, I never said it was okay, that we just don't have full information.

OULenexaman
11/3/2011, 01:04 PM
because if you take it to the PoPo it will not get to go viral and CNN and NBC will not be giving you all this attention and pub??

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 01:20 PM
because if you take it to the PoPo it will not get to go viral and CNN and NBC will not be giving you all this attention and pub??

I see said the Blind man

MsProudSooner
11/3/2011, 02:59 PM
Anyone who doesn't question the daughters Motives for waiting 7 years is also an idiot

Since her father is a judge, she was probably worried that it would be swept under the rug and the beatings would escalate.

SoonerTerry
11/3/2011, 03:20 PM
Since her father is a judge, she was probably worried that it would be swept under the rug and the beatings would escalate.

truth

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 03:28 PM
Judge Daddy was out of control and what he did went beyond spanking. The mother is complicit for allowing it to happen, develop into a pattern (if it was a pattern), and doing nothing to protect the girl once things got out of control.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/3/2011, 04:31 PM

Cause daddy's a judge, and the law enforcement fraternity protects their own.

LePetomaine
11/3/2011, 04:32 PM
End of the line Judge Adams, end of the line. A small county judge in a small Texas county, caught on tape beating his child. As a lawyer I understand that there are usually 3 sides to every story, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. However, if I were to ever to beat my child in such a way, and threaten to "beat you in your f___ing head"; well there would be a special place down stairs for me. Good luck pal; you ain't gonna be working in this state any time soon.

badger
11/3/2011, 04:58 PM
Heh.

A Texas family law judge says his daughter posted a YouTube video of him beating her several years ago because he told her he was reducing her financial support and taking away her Mercedes.

Link (http://newsok.com/judge-daughter-posted-beating-video-out-of-spite/article/feed/313704?custom_click=headlines_widget)

This story started off bad but now it's kind of getting interesting. Perhaps this is why she is saying "Dad needs help" and is asking people not to torture him too much... so that she doesn't lose the Mercades or her financial support (?!?!!?!?!?!?!)

MsProudSooner
11/3/2011, 05:03 PM
Heh.

Link (http://newsok.com/judge-daughter-posted-beating-video-out-of-spite/article/feed/313704?custom_click=headlines_widget)

This story started off bad but now it's kind of getting interesting. Perhaps this is why she is saying "Dad needs help" and is asking people not to torture him too much... so that she doesn't lose the Mercades or her financial support (?!?!!?!?!?!?!)

If she can drive a Mercedes, she can probably support herself - and she should. However, none of that gives him the right to beat her.

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 05:04 PM
Heh.

Now yer starting to see the Paul Harvey version. Mom and Sis been out the house for 4 years shes been gone over 5

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 05:06 PM
If she can drive a Mercedes, she can probably support herself - and she should. However, none of that gives him the right to beat her.

I haven't seen anywhere here where anyone said he was in the right. Just been pointin out that she aint all the Victim here.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 05:07 PM
Heh.

It does not matter why she posted the video. What is at issue is Judge Daddy's behavior in the video. Daddy is attempting to divert attention away from his behavior by alleging the girl has financial motivations for posting the video. Well, so what if she has? Judge Daddy still waled on her in that video.

badger
11/3/2011, 05:11 PM
I think it was a form of control... something that he could take away or give as he ordered... but if she accepted it, she allowed him a certain measure of control and allowed herself to continue to be dependent on him, even as an adult.

I'm not sure about the extent of her physical limitations, but methinks that there would be some form of disability help from the state if it prevented her from working.

In any event --- give up the car and the money, girl (assuming he's not lying)

MsProudSooner
11/3/2011, 05:12 PM
I haven't seen anywhere here where anyone said he was in the right. Just been pointin out that she aint all the Victim here.

Her motives are irrelevant. She might be thoroughly obnoxious but that doesn't give him the right to do what he did.

marfacowboy
11/3/2011, 05:14 PM
Sickening. I caught a guy staying with our next door neighbor beating his daughter in the driveway one day. She was about four years old. I could see it from the kitchen window. I ran out the door and stopped it. It was disgusting. This is disgusting.
We never spanked any of our children. It's not necessary, and it's not effective, and it's abusive. Every time.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 05:16 PM
Sickening. I caught a guy staying with our next door neighbor beating his daughter in the driveway one day. She was about four years old. I could see it from the kitchen window. I ran out the door and stopped it. It was disgusting. This is disgusting.
We never spanked any of our children. It's not necessary, and it's not effective, and it's abusive. Every time.

Spanking is not a bad thing; and when administered properly spanking is effective. What happened in the video was way beyond spanking. It looked like psychological and physical abuse IMO.

OULenexaman
11/3/2011, 05:21 PM
not really......I had many a spankings just like that one.....but my sister never did.

badger
11/3/2011, 05:23 PM
Now yer starting to see the Paul Harvey version. Mom and Sis been out the house for 4 years shes been gone over 5

No, I'm seeing a guy continuing to make more and more interesting excuses. First it was that he had already apologized. Then it was that the video wasn't as bad as it looked. Then it was because he threatened to take the car away and drop the level of financial support.

What's he gonna say next --- that he knew the video tape existed and she was blackmailing him with it for five years and he finally said "Enough, I'm tired of being bullied by my own daughter" ??????

(you know... that's probably next now that I think about it)

marfacowboy
11/3/2011, 06:02 PM
Spanking is not a bad thing; and when administered properly spanking is effective.

I'm afraid the scientific evidence says exactly the opposite. A study conducted at Tulane and discussed in Time shows it makes children more aggressive.

achiro
11/3/2011, 06:02 PM
So you are saying that all spanking is abuse?

Spanking is not a bad thing; and when administered properly spanking is effective. What happened in the video was way beyond spanking. It looked like psychological and physical abuse IMO.
In your opinion when did it move beyond a normal spanking into abuse? After the first swing or the 5th? Was it that he hit her leg? Should he have waited until she turned around and just spanked her butt? Was it that he was using a belt? Was it the language? Was it that he was angry while spanking her?

marfacowboy
11/3/2011, 06:05 PM
So you are saying that all spanking is abuse?

yes

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 06:49 PM
In your opinion when did it move beyond a normal spanking into abuse? After the first swing or the 5th? Was it that he hit her leg? Should he have waited until she turned around and just spanked her butt? Was it that he was using a belt? Was it the language? Was it that he was angry while spanking her?

He was out of control. I think a definition of abuse is like a definition of pornography--you know it when you see it. I am fine with corporal punishment. I am fine with using belts, paddles, or the like. But, discipline is not a five minute tirade where the one administering the discipline comes back for seconds and thirds and uses f-bombs and intimidation to make his point.

If you cannot make your point in 12 licks or less and without using the abusive language, then you need to seek out alternative methods.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 06:50 PM
I'm afraid the scientific evidence says exactly the opposite. A study conducted at Tulane and discussed in Time shows it makes children more aggressive.

Since there are enough kids in my extended family to constitute a good sample size, I can tell you that the outcomes of those who were spanked as children are markedly better than those who were not.

C&CDean
11/3/2011, 07:01 PM

And I'm saying you're FOS. Tulane? The only good thing that came outta there is TUSooner.

I haven't watched the video, and probably won't. I took ***-whoopins as a child that were epic. I mean serious whoopins. This girl is getting beaten with a belt? Oh my. Meh. Not that I condone what the POS judge is doing (like I said, I ain't watched it), but I can't get too wound up over someone getting their butt beat. I can look back on every single ***-whoopin' I took and this is the first thing that comes to mind: "damn, I'm glad dad never found out about all the other **** I did or I probably wouldn't have survived." I was a rotten little **** who never took an ***-whoopin I didn't have coming. I got away with so much **** that when I took my ***-whoopins I thought "Yeah, you pretty much deserve this."

All that being said, kids need their butt beat on a fairly regular basis - up until the age of maybe 10-11 or so. After that, it's kind of too late. If you haven't instilled discipline/self control/knowing right from wrong by then it's way too late to try and beat it into a kid. In my case (raising 5 boys) I never had to administer a whoopin past the age of about 6-7. They learned that there were real consequences pretty early and they didn't dig getting their butt beat. I didn't dig whoopin them so it was win-win. I did have to knock one of my boys through a door when he was about 17, but that's fairly common when boys are feeling their oats.

Anyhow, you carry on with your mamby pamby horse**** and raise you up some little criminals. Me? I'll whoop that *** and raise up fine young men. Like their dad. And my dad.

olevetonahill
11/3/2011, 07:15 PM
I was hoping you would weigh in here Bro
I agree with every thing you said
I also had to put Both my boys on their Butts at 16 er 17 . Just sompun about that age that makes em think they have to try Ole Dad out

marfacowboy
11/3/2011, 07:50 PM
And I'm saying you're FOS. Tulane? The only good thing that came outta there is TUSooner.

I haven't watched the video, and probably won't. I took ***-whoopins as a child that were epic. I mean serious whoopins. This girl is getting beaten with a belt? Oh my. Meh. Not that I condone what the POS judge is doing (like I said, I ain't watched it), but I can't get too wound up over someone getting their butt beat. I can look back on every single ***-whoopin' I took and this is the first thing that comes to mind: "damn, I'm glad dad never found out about all the other **** I did or I probably wouldn't have survived." I was a rotten little **** who never took an ***-whoopin I didn't have coming. I got away with so much **** that when I took my ***-whoopins I thought "Yeah, you pretty much deserve this."

All that being said, kids need their butt beat on a fairly regular basis - up until the age of maybe 10-11 or so. After that, it's kind of too late. If you haven't instilled discipline/self control/knowing right from wrong by then it's way too late to try and beat it into a kid. In my case (raising 5 boys) I never had to administer a whoopin past the age of about 6-7. They learned that there were real consequences pretty early and they didn't dig getting their butt beat. I didn't dig whoopin them so it was win-win. I did have to knock one of my boys through a door when he was about 17, but that's fairly common when boys are feeling their oats.

Anyhow, you carry on with your mamby pamby horse**** and raise you up some little criminals. Me? I'll whoop that *** and raise up fine young men. Like their dad. And my dad.

I have three fine children that have degrees, are fine human beings and have never caused any trouble. One was a scholarship track athlete at a major D-1 program and is now finishing her PhD. Another is an artist and the youngest is Fulbright scholar. We have a very happy, peaceful family. Not a one was ever spanked.
Only a knuckle dragging lout would believe children "need their butts beat on a regular basis." There's not a modicum of truth in what you said.

marfacowboy
11/3/2011, 07:52 PM
Since there are enough kids in my extended family to constitute a good sample size, I can tell you that the outcomes of those who were spanked as children are markedly better than those who were not.

Well, in order to really know that, you'd have to judge their "outcomes" against every child that wasn't spanked. Impossible and subjective. That's not peer reviewed science.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 08:10 PM
Well, in order to really know that, you'd have to judge their "outcomes" against every child that wasn't spanked. Impossible and subjective. That's not peer reviewed science.

Not really interested in what peer-review science says on the subject. Peer-reviewed science has given us several hoaxes and is not responsible for raising me or my family.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 08:12 PM
Only a knuckle dragging lout would believe children "need their butts beat on a regular basis." There's not a modicum of truth in what you said.

I do not know whether to laugh or cry. You went from suggesting that peer-review science be a basis for child rearing to engaging in ad hominem fallacy in one post.

C&CDean
11/3/2011, 08:18 PM
I have three fine children that have degrees, are fine human beings and have never caused any trouble. One was a scholarship track athlete at a major D-1 program and is now finishing her PhD. Another is an artist and the youngest is Fulbright scholar. We have a very happy, peaceful family. Not a one was ever spanked.

Oh. You raised girls. Good on ya. Try raising a bunch of boys with your peacenik deal. I don't have any Fulbright scholars, but I have an electrician, a welder, a soldier, a computer geek, and a student. Also, I have a group of boys well equipped to deal with the real world, not the world of academia/birkenstocks. Yes, my knuckles may drag a bit, but there's much more than just a "modicum of truth" in what I say. Trust me.

A Sooner in Texas
11/3/2011, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure I saw the word "girls" in Marfacowboy's post about his kids. And I never realized until just now that a person with a PhD or a Fulbright scholarship somehow equates to wearing Birkenstocks. Sounds more like they're intelligent, productive human beings...who were never spanked. I gave my two boys (neither wears Birkenstocks) occasional swats on the butt when they deserved them, but I never had to beat them with a belt. My parents came awfully close to doing what the judge did in this video on a few occasions, and I swore I would never do it to my kids. And I never had to...they knew I respected and loved them, and they respect and love me.

marfacowboy
11/4/2011, 06:50 AM
Oh. You raised girls. Good on ya. Try raising a bunch of boys with your peacenik deal. I don't have any Fulbright scholars, but I have an electrician, a welder, a soldier, a computer geek, and a student. Also, I have a group of boys well equipped to deal with the real world, not the world of academia/birkenstocks. Yes, my knuckles may drag a bit, but there's much more than just a "modicum of truth" in what I say. Trust me.

Two boys, one girl. I'm sure you're proud of your kids, and you should be. We all choose our own paths.
My father wasn't one "to spare the rod." It wasn't a pleasant experience, and speaking for myself, it just caused me to rebel more. I refused to bullied and cajoled over ridiculous things, especially when I was doing most of the work around the house and supporting myself more or less by age 12. His own mother backhanded him out the kitchen door when he was a boy for "sassin' his mom." Said he landed on his *** in the backyard. He spoke of my grandmother lovingly, and like it was good for him. Maybe it was. So, I've seen this in my own family, and I know a lot of people firmly believe this.
All I'm saying is my own experience and scientific research show otherwise. I chose a different path, and my kids turned out fine. I'm happy yours did as well.

marfacowboy
11/4/2011, 06:56 AM
Not really interested in what peer-review science says on the subject. Peer-reviewed science has given us several hoaxes and is not responsible for raising me or my family.

It's also given you science that might save your children's lives one day.
The expected response to data that directly refutes something in our lives is perhaps to immediately reject it. I know I did for many years, while I was a happy, golf playing, corporate schmuck, blithely making my deposits and ignoring what was really happening around me. Then one day I stumbled upon an article, did more research, and more or less completely changed my approach to life.
It's not easy admitting you've been completely wrong, but I say it's better to face a cruel truth than live in comfortable state of delusion.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/4/2011, 07:16 AM
There's a big difference between spanking a child and beating the crap out of one.

C&CDean
11/4/2011, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure I saw the word "girls" in Marfacowboy's post about his kids. And I never realized until just now that a person with a PhD or a Fulbright scholarship somehow equates to wearing Birkenstocks. Sounds more like they're intelligent, productive human beings...who were never spanked. I gave my two boys (neither wears Birkenstocks) occasional swats on the butt when they deserved them, but I never had to beat them with a belt. My parents came awfully close to doing what the judge did in this video on a few occasions, and I swore I would never do it to my kids. And I never had to...they knew I respected and loved them, and they respect and love me.

a) I have advanced degrees myself.

b) Folks that spend their entire lives in the world of academia are birkenstockers. Whether they wear them or not.

c) I never said I condone beating a child. I said I condone spanking them when necessary.

d) If you discipline them firmly and consistently when young, you don't need to spank them when they're past the age of beginning school, etc.

e) All of the spankings I adminstered to my children together didn't add up to a single whoopin' I took from my pop. Then again, my kids weren't as rotten/incouragable as I was.

C&CDean
11/4/2011, 08:00 AM
Two boys, one girl. I'm sure you're proud of your kids, and you should be. We all choose our own paths.
My father wasn't one "to spare the rod." It wasn't a pleasant experience, and speaking for myself, it just caused me to rebel more. I refused to bullied and cajoled over ridiculous things, especially when I was doing most of the work around the house and supporting myself more or less by age 12. His own mother backhanded him out the kitchen door when he was a boy for "sassin' his mom." Said he landed on his *** in the backyard. He spoke of my grandmother lovingly, and like it was good for him. Maybe it was. So, I've seen this in my own family, and I know a lot of people firmly believe this.
All I'm saying is my own experience and scientific research show otherwise. I chose a different path, and my kids turned out fine. I'm happy yours did as well.

Reasonable well thought out post, but I ain't buying the "research shows otherwise" deal. I've been around 54 years. I've seen enough reality in my life to know that people who let their children run amok typically have children that run amok as adults. Do you think things like timeout or taking away the gameboy for a day really work? If your kids are climbing all over the back of the booth in a restaurant bothering other people what would you do to make them stop?

OULenexaman
11/4/2011, 08:44 AM
Looks like the Cleaver family is here....

IndySooner
11/4/2011, 08:44 AM
There's a big difference between spanking a child and beating the crap out of one.

This

OULenexaman
11/4/2011, 08:47 AM
you should watch part of the vid D......I was like....yep.....that's what I remember gettin.

badger
11/4/2011, 08:55 AM
Update:

If the public must know, just prior to the YouTube upload, a concerned father shared with his 23-year-old daughter that he was unwilling to continue to work hard and be her primary source of financial support, if she was going to simply 'drop out' and strive to achieve no more in life than to work part-time at a video game store," Adams said in the statement. "Hillary warned her father if he reduced her financial support, and took away her Mercedes automobile, which her father had provided, he would live to regret it. The post was then uploaded.

Link (http://www.chron.com/news/article/Judge-won-t-face-charges-after-beating-video-2251350.php)

Why is nobody surprised that after years of daddy needing to get his whipping fix in that daughter would want to revenge daddy cutting her off.

"It is regrettable that Hillary Adams, a bright and gifted person, would include in her post that she is or was a disabled or a special needs child. ... Hillary's condition was monitored as a child and her medical needs met," he said. "However, neither should a perfectly capable adult try to use an affliction as a device for media sympathy. It should now be apparent to the world that 'disabled' was mislabeled."

Judge Adams also expressed regret for the "interruption and inconvenience" the video has caused the Aransas County community. He said he is confident that when the "dust settles and international media attention has passed, and the work ahead, whether civil, criminal or administrative has taken its full course ... it will be concluded that Hillary Adams' actions in 2011 were misguided and misleading."

The article also states that there is a five-year statute of limitations so there will be no charges.

I really don't think something like this can have the dust settle... my guess is that they'll keep making the media rounds and worse stuff will be said about each other. My guess is that there are also other tapes.

IndySooner
11/4/2011, 08:55 AM
you should watch part of the vid D......I was like....yep.....that's what I remember gettin.

I was spanked as a kid. I thought it was good for me. My dad, on the other hand, regrets doing it, because we all resented him until we were in our 20's. He recommends we don't spank, and I don't unless it's a REALLY bad situation. Then they'll get a spanking.

I think there's a happy medium to be had. That video shows abuse, not a spanking. That's a 16-year-old girl getting beat with a belt. First of all, she's too old for a spanking to be effective. Second of all, he's throwing her around like a rag doll, cussing her out and looks like he's about to kill her if you look at his eyes.

I'm not one to say you shouldn't spank. I think it can be effective if used the right way. I agree with one poster who said it's no longer effective after about 6-7 years old. I also don't blame anyone for not using it as a punishment at all. I considered it, too.

OULenexaman
11/4/2011, 09:07 AM
I'd say Thanksgiving's and Christmas's are pretty much over for the Adams family...

marfacowboy
11/4/2011, 09:29 AM
Reasonable well thought out post, but I ain't buying the "research shows otherwise" deal. I've been around 54 years. I've seen enough reality in my life to know that people who let their children run amok typically have children that run amok as adults. Do you think things like timeout or taking away the gameboy for a day really work? If your kids are climbing all over the back of the booth in a restaurant bothering other people what would you do to make them stop?

I've been around 50. We used a variety of punishments, including "loss of privileges." Some were more effective than others. Frankly, about all we had to do most of them time was tell them how much we were disappointed. Maybe we were lucky, but they never wanted to let us down. We knew how to play the guilt card pretty well. For the boys, their sister set the standard, and I think they felt pressure to do as well as she did. Although our daughter actually presented more challenges than the boys. She's too much like her dad and was prone to "rebellion." Nothing bad, just stuff like skipping track practice, sneaking in an occasional beer. Stuff like that.
We did what worked for our kids.
I apologize for the abrasive, insulting nature of my previous post, btw. I was so angry about the film, didn't feel well last night and should have been more diplomatic. It was inappropriate for me to judge your parenting choices.

NormanPride
11/4/2011, 09:36 AM
As a guy without kids, I think it's pretty obvious that the decision to spank/not spank depends on the kid and on the parent. If you're the type to fly off the handle a bit, then perhaps its not the best solution as the kid will pick up the wrong message. If your kid is gentle or sensitive then perhaps pain is not the best negative reinforcement technique. However, if you're even-headed like Dean, and your kids are robust and full of vigor, then whup that ***. Some guys need to know there's a pecking order. It's instinctual.

C&CDean
11/4/2011, 09:47 AM
I've been around 50. We used a variety of punishments, including "loss of privileges." Some were more effective than others. Frankly, about all we had to do most of them time was tell them how much we were disappointed. Maybe we were lucky, but they never wanted to let us down. We knew how to play the guilt card pretty well. For the boys, their sister set the standard, and I think they felt pressure to do as well as she did. Although our daughter actually presented more challenges than the boys. She's too much like her dad and was prone to "rebellion." Nothing bad, just stuff like skipping track practice, sneaking in an occasional beer. Stuff like that.
We did what worked for our kids.
I apologize for the abrasive, insulting nature of my previous post, btw. I was so angry about the film, didn't feel well last night and should have been more diplomatic. It was inappropriate for me to judge your parenting choices.

No problem. I'm pretty much abrasive and insulting in every post - and I felt great last night.

To take the behavior deal a bit further let me tell you what I did when my boys were very young. One of my pet peeves was (and still is) misbehaving children in public places. Restaurants, grocery stores, etc. When my kids were high-chair age, and they would start flinging their food or making a big racket I would put the 4,000 psi grip on their little hand/arm and explain to them that that behavior wouldn't be tolerated. The pressure exerted was enough of a deterrent to keep them from doing it again. They got it.

Then, when they were booster seat aged and like all kids decided it would be fun to slide outta the booster under the table and go run amok in the restaurant or stand up and bother the people in the next booth they would get the 5,000 psi grip on their little arm, and a firm sit down - both physically and verbally. They didn't dare do it again.

By the time they were 4-5 and we'd go to the grocery store or mall or wherever the rule was "put your hands in your pockets and don't touch anything." When they pulled their hand out and started messing with stuff it was the 6,000 psi grip on their arm and a firm "boy, I said hands in your pockets and don't touch anything."

I think the 6,000 psi grip was probably enough. I never had to use a belt. I did spank them at home, but with my hand, and not very often because frankly, they knew and understood that when I said something I meant it. There were serious consequences and they knew they would be enforced EVERY SINGLE TIME. Which gets me to the bottom line here. Consistency. Parents kowtow to their bratty kids because it's just easier to give in than be firm and consistent. Kids learn that, and they know eventually, if they whine/bitch/cry/throw a fit long enough good ol' mom or dad is gonna waffle.

Anyhow, I'm very happy all my kids are grown. I didn't do everything right - or even close to right, but I don't have to visit my kids in prison, I don't pay any of their bills, the ones that go/went to college are completely paying their own way - including their car, insurance, etc., and if I ever need electrical work, swimming pool maintenance, help on the farm I've got strong, healthy men to rely on. Of course they do wear white pants when they come to Sunday dinner or Thanksgiving/Christmas. I always say "that's alright son, I've got coveralls in the garage..."

XingTheRubicon
11/4/2011, 10:08 AM
I'm assuming she didn't download music on the computer for a while.

BU BEAR
11/4/2011, 10:11 AM
It's also given you science that might save your children's lives one day.
The expected response to data that directly refutes something in our lives is perhaps to immediately reject it. I know I did for many years, while I was a happy, golf playing, corporate schmuck, blithely making my deposits and ignoring what was really happening around me. Then one day I stumbled upon an article, did more research, and more or less completely changed my approach to life.
It's not easy admitting you've been completely wrong, but I say it's better to face a cruel truth than live in comfortable state of delusion.

Listen, chief, I will take what has worked for humanity over the generations versus the latest Tulane research paper. If you want to hand your family over to Dr. Spock and Tulane, then that is your business. But, forgive the rest of us knuckledraggers if we know from personal experience and anecdotal evidence that spanking, when administered correctly, is effective.

But, I would like to hear more about your daughter. I also have a terminal degree; and because I was spanked as young boy, I am a gentleman today.

NormanPride
11/4/2011, 10:37 AM
I'm assuming she didn't download music on the computer for a while.

heh. Honestly? I would have done it just to spite them, and hidden my tracks better.

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 11:09 AM
I wear Birkenstocks, yet have two jobs lined up outside academia. I'm very confused by all of this.

Hey, they're comfortable and I'm too lazy to lace up shoes when I'm just running out to the mailbox.

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 11:10 AM
Also, we're missing the whole point here:

Illegally downloading music is a crime. He should have shot her to protect other people's property.

MsProudSooner
11/4/2011, 11:12 AM
A five year statute of limitations on child abuse is ludicrous.

If she's still depending on Daddy for support and her highest ambition is to work in a video game store, her parent's discipline choices obviously weren't effective.

badger
11/4/2011, 11:20 AM
heh. Honestly? I would have done it just to spite them, and hidden my tracks better.

Yeah, kids that got nothing but punishment tended to act out more in school. It was probably their way of getting attention from the teacher since they were never doing anything good to get attention, it seemed.

jumperstop
11/4/2011, 11:23 AM

If she's still depending on Daddy for support and her highest ambition is to work in a video game store, her parent's discipline choices obviously weren't effective.

I don't see how there can be a statute of limitations on something like that. Physical crimes shouldn't have any limitations....
Although the dad did beat his daughter and she seems like she may have deserved at least some sort of punishment, they are all ****ed up a little. The girl could be a lazy ***, or she could be unable to find another job. The fact that she drives a mercedes makes her seem like a spoiled bitch, but without the entire story I won't condem either side.

Edit: I'll condem the actions of the dad for going a bit overboard, but why do this as spite for being cut off instead of just presenting it to the authorities if you are really concerened about getting beat, not getting cut off....

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 11:39 AM
I don't see how there can be a statute of limitations on something like that. Physical crimes shouldn't have any limitations....

Eh. Physical evidence gets stale. Witness recollections get fuzzy. It becomes prohibitively expensive to adjudicate stale claims as a result. The rehabilitative and retributory functions of punishment are attenuated when justice is delayed to this extent.

While this case is a decent counter-example where the evidence isn't stale, the typical case isn't going to involve video evidence. Bad facts make bad law.

badger
11/4/2011, 11:44 AM

Assuming that there aren't a bunch of lying liars involved here, it seems that the video was released now because the daughter had nothing to lose anymore, whereas when she was still a teen, it would have gotten swept under the rug by law enforcement (good ol' Texas boys). If she released it after she had moved out but her parents were still married or her younger sister was around, it might have been detrimental to them to be around that monstrous behavior. And... it sounds like she's dependent on parental financial support anyway.

So daddies who beat their daughters, beware of cutting the kiddo off, even if they aren't kids anymore. If they have nothing left to lose and you do, you might end up losing more than you bargained for.

And of course, none of this ever justifies the type of beating we saw in the video clip.

jumperstop
11/4/2011, 11:47 AM
Eh. Physical evidence gets stale. Witness recollections get fuzzy. It becomes prohibitively expensive to adjudicate stale claims as a result. The rehabilitative and retributory functions of punishment are attenuated when justice is delayed to this extent.

While this case is a decent counter-example where the evidence isn't stale, the typical case isn't going to involve video evidence. Bad facts make bad law.

There is no statute of limitation on murder cases.....

I just think if there is clear evidence then there should be no reason to not punish the guy. I can understand in cases where there isn't a ****ing video, but to make a law saying that after so long it wouldn't be fair to punish them because there COULD be lack of evidence is retarded....

jumperstop
11/4/2011, 11:49 AM
Assuming that there aren't a bunch of lying liars involved here, it seems that the video was released now because the daughter had nothing to lose anymore, whereas when she was still a teen, it would have gotten swept under the rug by law enforcement (good ol' Texas boys). If she released it after she had moved out but her parents were still married or her younger sister was around, it might have been detrimental to them to be around that monstrous behavior. And... it sounds like she's dependent on parental financial support anyway.

So daddies who beat their daughters, beware of cutting the kiddo off, even if they aren't kids anymore. If they have nothing left to lose and you do, you might end up losing more than you bargained for.

And of course, none of this ever justifies the type of beating we saw in the video clip.

Maybe start by trading in her mercedes for a mazda....She may have freaked out a little less if he gradually cut her off.

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 11:52 AM
You've misread what I wrote.

The reason why there's no statute of limitations on murder is that even though the functions are attenuated, society still has sufficient interest in punishing murderers. Society considers murder a much more heinous crime than child abuse.

I brought nothing into it about fairness. Expense and judicial efficiency were the issues I brought up, not fairness. Fairness is a concern in statutes of limitation for civil matters, but not so much in criminal.

jumperstop
11/4/2011, 11:58 AM
You've misread what I wrote.

The reason why there's no statute of limitations on murder is that even though the functions are attenuated, society still has sufficient interest in punishing murderers. Society considers murder a much more heinous crime than child abuse.

I brought nothing into it about fairness. Expense and judicial efficiency were the issues I brought up, not fairness. Fairness is a concern in statutes of limitation for civil matters, but not so much in criminal.

You did use a lot of big words I just glanced over.....I was just going of the part where you were talking about suffcient evidence or stale evidence. I don't see how it'd be a waste to of resources to go back and punish this guy. Whatever though, he's been punished enough and this video probably ruined his life just as bad as any punishment handed down by the government, probably worse. Cause if she just reported it, it wouldn't have been youtube famous.

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 12:02 PM
I understand your confusion.

Again, I concede that this case would be easy to prosecute and wouldn't lead to much inefficiency. The problem is that legislation has to address the general case, not the specific case.

NormanPride
11/4/2011, 12:21 PM
Froz, you were a lot more accessible when you were just a banker. :D

C&CDean
11/4/2011, 12:47 PM
Plus he didn't wear fag shoes back then.

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 12:58 PM
I wore Crocs. Even worse.

NormanPride
11/4/2011, 01:17 PM
I have croc sandals. Are those okay? They don't look like your normal crocs.

Frozen Sooner
11/4/2011, 01:30 PM
I write like ****. I usually have to go through 3-4 drafts of anything to substitute out $10 words and break sentences up.

En_Fuego
11/5/2011, 12:37 AM
After further review;

This man was seriously abused as a child. Sexual abuse and extreme violence was the norm. He was cruel to animals, often killing small animals to rid his mind of the pain he suffered. The beating of his Daughter was sexually motivated as you can see by the personal joy in his torture of her. It wasnt good enough to leave brusies on her legs and back, he wanted to fullfill his sexual desire by "bending her over" I'm quite sure he is a classic narcissistic parent (Narcissistic parents demand certain behavior from their children because they see the children as extensions of themselves, and need the children to represent them in the world in ways that meet the parents’ emotional needs. This parenting 'style' most often results in estranged relationships with the children, coupled with feelings of resentment and self-destructive tendencies) The Man is a sexual deviant. This goes way beyond the traditional "spanking" This Man is a danger to society and needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice.