PDA

View Full Version : Switzer to be honored Saturday

Jay C. Upchurch
11/1/2011, 08:41 AM
NORMAN – Oklahoma will unveil a statue of the man who set the record for most victories by a Sooner football coach when it honors Barry Switzer prior to the OU-Texas A&M game this Saturday. Switzer will be the third coach so recognized after statues of Bennie Owen and Bud Wilkinson were unveiled last season.

The ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m., east of the Barry Switzer Center and near the Owen and Wilkinson statues.

OU President David L. Boren and Vice President and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione are on the speaking program for the event. Several of Switzer’s former assistant coaches and players are expected to attend as well, and interim Big 12 Conference Commissioner Chuck Neinas will introduce Switzer.

Switzer led OU from 1973-88 and won more games than any other coach in school history at 157-29-4, including a mark of 100-11-1 in conference games. His Sooners captured three national championships (1974, 1975, 1985), 12 Big Eight Conference championships and eight bowl wins in 13 appearances.

Oklahoma players earned All-America recognition 51 times during his tenure.

For his efforts, Switzer was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2001.

OU SID Report

The sculptor for the statue was Jack Nortz, who has been head of the sculpture department at Oklahoma City’s MTM for the last 20 years. Some of his other projects include President Ronald Reagan, Bear Bryant, Brett Hull, Globe Trotter founder Gabe Saperstein, Eddie Robinson, sportscasters Jim McKay, Dick Schaap, Grantland Rice, and OU Heisman winner Sam Bradford.

Some of his national award sculptures include the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Trophy, the Bronko Nagurski collegiate Defensive Player of the Year, the John Mackey collegiate Tight End Award and the Ben Hogan collegiate Golfer of the Year.

SoonerTerry
11/1/2011, 09:00 AM
I'd love to take the kid to it.

Congrats to the king.

Jason Alexander
11/1/2011, 10:30 PM
Never heard of him

En_Fuego
11/2/2011, 01:07 AM
"LONG LIVE THE KING"

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/sooner_born86/BarrySwitzer.jpg

swardboy
11/2/2011, 06:24 AM
What an opportunity to see some Sooner Greats!

Bernie, Bud, and Barry. Unreal. No way they could come up with a fourth "B"......

AlbqSooner
11/2/2011, 06:58 AM
Who's Bernie??

virginiasooner
11/2/2011, 08:42 AM
And I thought I was flying 1000 miles for just a football game. Totally Awesome!

jkjsooner
11/2/2011, 10:08 AM
Who's Bernie??

Don't you remember that dead guy we propped up on the sidelines as our coach? Wait, his name was Howard...

Sooner_Tuf
11/2/2011, 04:42 PM
Weekend at Blake's. Man there is a movie I don't ever want to see again.

NCarolinaSooner
11/2/2011, 11:43 PM
Weekend at Blake's. Man there is a movie I don't ever want to see again.
We're getting the sequel here in Chapel Hill. But I think it's still better than the original.