PDA

View Full Version : This says it all

SoonerNate
10/31/2011, 06:49 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382219_251821984867164_100001180946980_686281_3001 24379_n.jpg

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/31/2011, 06:54 PM
What about the disabled kids who can't go trick or treating for themselves ;_;

EDIT: But if we're using cartoons to sum up our political beliefs, I'll try too!

http://www.cagle.com/working/110324/rogers.jpg

soonercruiser
10/31/2011, 09:50 PM
A Fable Tells It All!

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Political/Fable%20of%20Peter%20&%20Paul.gif

AlboSooner
11/1/2011, 11:58 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382219_251821984867164_100001180946980_686281_3001 24379_n.jpg

The irony is that the candy is free, thus un-earned. The candy receivers didn't produce nor buy the candy. It's like saying "people who show up to get a welfare check earned it."

Political cartoons are the plight of imbecility, generally.

(See I qualified nicely in the end, now you can;t criticize me, because your case is not general, yours is a special case in this otherwise ubiquitous phenomenon)

soonercruiser
11/2/2011, 11:28 AM
Yet! Many times a picture is worth a thousand words by a liberal editorialist!
:stupid:

NormanPride
11/2/2011, 11:40 AM
ITT: Old people that don't realize school costs have skyrocketed recently.

Mississippi Sooner
11/2/2011, 12:15 PM

You mean, you don't think Peter the rabbit could make $100,000 for college by flipping burgers?

NormanPride
11/2/2011, 01:08 PM
If he did, he's guilty of selling something else WITH the burger...

badger
11/2/2011, 01:19 PM
I love political cartoons. Don't always agree with everyone I see, but I've always loved em:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20111102_Plante20111102.jpg

KantoSooner
11/2/2011, 02:06 PM

Here's the wild thing about college costs: they've increasing by waaaaaaaay more than inflation since the early 1960's. It ain't 'recent'. And the whole damn time it's been on the excuse of 'we have to catch up to increases in the rest of the economy'. You know, things like professorial salaries, protecting the endowment from increased physical plant operating costs and the like. I get that....but for 50 GD years?

Are the colleges providing a better education now than they did in 1960? To the GI's who flooded the campuses immediately after WWII?

I am about as ardent a supporter of higher ed as you're likely to find, but enough is enough; it's time to realize that our universities have hideously mismanaged themselves and to start mandating deep cuts in spending.

NormanPride
11/2/2011, 02:31 PM
But... but... footbaw!

badger
11/2/2011, 02:43 PM
I am about as ardent a supporter of higher ed as you're likely to find, but enough is enough; it's time to realize that our universities have hideously mismanaged themselves and to start mandating deep cuts in spending.

A few things will have to happen for college costs to drop:

1- Pressure from lack of demand. If costs are determined by supply and demand, then look directly at demand as a large culprit of high college costs. Everyone wants to go these days and there's no changing that, even with higher prices.

2- Pressure from elected officials and the voters. Voters don't vote for tuition and fee increases, not do legislators. If the power was no longer in the regents and university officials' hands to determine the cost of attending college, the costs might be lower. Might?!

3- A decrease in costs for the university. Universities often argue that they need the extra tuition money to stay competitive with facilities, top faculty and research. Alas, there seems to be an arms race for universities, as new buildings are popping up at places like OU... and all of the costs associated with new buildings.

4- Decreases in unnecessary spending: How necessary is it to host dinners with guest speakers that serve three-course meals? How about those Arts and Sciences majors that often don't yield that many job opportunities, anyway? Why do universities have so many six-figure vice presidents of such-and-so?

5- Drastic increases in funding from other areas besides tuition and fees. Notice the academic enhancement fee on your football ticket stub? Notice how the ones that donate money seem to be the ones always getting OU-Texas and prime bowl tickets? Hey look! Even Old Science Hall has a donor's name on it!

6- An end to cutting state funding to higher ed: States may never fund the same percentage of higher education costs that they used to, but if they tried, universities might scale back tuition and fee increases as a goodwill gesture. And if they didn't, those universities would probably be hounded mercilessly by the general public.

soonercruiser
11/2/2011, 09:46 PM
Here's the wild thing about college costs: they've increasing by waaaaaaaay more than inflation since the early 1960's. It ain't 'recent'. And the whole damn time it's been on the excuse of 'we have to catch up to increases in the rest of the economy'. You know, things like professorial salaries, protecting the endowment from increased physical plant operating costs and the like. I get that....but for 50 GD years?

Are the colleges providing a better education now than they did in 1960? To the GI's who flooded the campuses immediately after WWII?

Take a glimpse at the OU campuses!
I can speak for the Health Science Center....
How much $$$$$ is OU wasting on tress, replanting flowers every 3 months, beautification, building new buildings when the old ones were still in working order....etc.??? No money for pay raises for 3 years, or capital improvements on existing facilities, BTW.
I can't even get a simple agreement finalized and signed.....with all the lawyers worrying and wanting their input!
(Where legal review was never needed in the past! Where the agreement never changes from year to year! Legal busy work!)
Sure......they are protecting the University! :pig:

SicEmBaylor
11/2/2011, 09:49 PM
A Fable Tells It All!

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Political/Fable%20of%20Peter%20&%20Paul.gif
So, people who take out student loans are public sloths and liberals?

How does one work their way through a 40k a year college? I've always said that if you can put yourself through a school that costs that much then you probably don't need to go to school in the first place.

I know this is just a cartoon but what an asinine and stupid load of bull****.

SicEmBaylor
11/2/2011, 09:51 PM

Public universities ought to be eliminated entirely. Hell, all public education should be eliminated.

Serge Ibaka
11/2/2011, 11:03 PM
Public universities ought to be eliminated entirely. Hell, all public education should be eliminated.

I suppose you also believe in spreading the privatization of prisons and jails?

Yawn.

The collective is a good thing. As a whole, we believe that things should be good, and we take care of each other; it's what good and civilized people do. Sure, there is waste and inefficiency, but the system isn't bad. We just have to keep driving towards increased efficiency.

AlboSooner
11/2/2011, 11:40 PM

http://images.wikia.com/familyguy/images/3/33/Buzz_Killington.jpgIndeed.

Overpriced religious schools are the place to be, imo.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2011, 01:12 AM
The collective is a good thing. As a whole, we believe that things should be good, and we take care of each other; it's what good and civilized people do. Sure, there is waste and inefficiency, but the system isn't bad. We just have to keep driving towards increased efficiency.
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/3/3a/Borg_cube,_2366.jpg

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2011, 01:12 AM
Overpriced religious schools are the place to be, imo.
Yep, that's my opinion as well.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2011, 05:53 AM
There are a lot of things you could do by eliminating public education.

Personally, I think the best "middle-ground" between total privatization and what we have today is the elimination of public schools and the creation of private education savings accounts. Taxes for public schools would go into individual savings accounts for each family to use at a private school of their choice. Other city/county/state school taxes would be divided up among the residents of that particular district, county, etc. At the very least, this would certainly cut down on the administration bloat plaguing most public schools today.

SoonerLaw09
11/3/2011, 05:57 AM
Good grief, SicEm. You and I actually agree.

NormanPride
11/3/2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah, the public school system suffers from bloat because there is no impact on demand if they increase their costs. Same with universities. Since student loans are default-proof they are given out to everyone, and thus everyone can "afford" college. To the college, no matter how much they increase costs the students will pay. It is a terrible and dangerous system. Fairly soon in the future our economy will be faced with people that have no disposable income because they had to mortgage their future in order to get a degree and thus a job.

The only way this stops is from government intervention, but you're never going to get that, because it would be "keeping kids from getting an education". Hopefully you'll see cheaper vocational schools pop up to take care of those who just want to get a job and not worry about killing themselves with debt. I'd say that would be enough to drive down costs of major universities, but there will always be enough stupid people to fill their coffers at whatever price they place on their services.

soonerhubs
11/3/2011, 10:05 AM
I'm curious to see the cartoon that says, "I need to take your candy to buy weapons and amass armies to force our ideals on other cultures and nations." That pretty much sums up the big government republicans, which basically take amounts similar to big government democrats; they only use that money to fill different coffers.

Does that really say it all? Not even close, but I suppose simplistic thinking is fun for some folks who don't want to hurt their brains. *rant over*

SanJoaquinSooner
11/3/2011, 10:14 AM

First Bubble: Before I give you candy, I'll need your social security number, a gov't issued photo ID, and proof that your parents are not illegally present!

Second Bubble: oh crap, a republican.

BU BEAR
11/3/2011, 10:15 AM
I'm curious to see the cartoon that says, "I need to take your candy to buy weapons and amass armies to force our ideals on other cultures and nations." That pretty much sums up the big government republicans....

An approach adopted by Democrats as well. Clinton had his Bosnia. Obama had his Libya; and he will also likely have his Iran in the first part of 2012.

soonerhubs
11/3/2011, 10:45 AM
An approach adopted by Democrats as well. Clinton had his Bosnia. Obama had his Libya; and he will also likely have his Iran in the first part of 2012.

You'll hear no argument from me. You're correct. All sorts of fail from Dems and Pubs.

Jason Alexander
11/3/2011, 12:58 PM
Take a glimpse at the OU campuses!
How much $$$$$ is OU wasting on tress, replanting flowers every 3 months, beautification, building new buildings when the old ones were still in working order....etc.??? :pig:
We kinda need trees

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2011, 01:09 PM
I'm curious to see the cartoon that says, "I need to take your candy to buy weapons and amass armies to force our ideals on other cultures and nations." That pretty much sums up the big government republicans, which basically take amounts similar to big government democrats; they only use that money to fill different coffers.

Does that really say it all? Not even close, but I suppose simplistic thinking is fun for some folks who don't want to hurt their brains. *rant over*

I think I love you. Spek to you my friend.

CrimsonCream
11/3/2011, 03:21 PM
How much $$$$$ is OU wasting on tress

I don't think Stoops would overpay for a kicker.

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think Stoops would overpay for a kicker.

Whatever he is paying now is too much.

Trophy Husband
11/9/2011, 05:49 PM
I love political cartoons. Don't always agree with everyone I see, but I've always loved em:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/20111102_Plante20111102.jpg

Bill Clinton is a confessed sexual harasser, Cain is an accused sexual harasser, big difference.

soonercruiser
11/9/2011, 08:42 PM

Did you hurt yourself?
:D

soonercruiser
11/9/2011, 08:43 PM
First Bubble: Before I give you candy, I'll need your social security number, a gov't issued photo ID, and proof that your parents are not illegally present!

Second Bubble: oh crap, a republican.

Almost all of my Trick or Treaters were Hispanic. By 9:1!
So, even illegals like a nice neighborhood!

soonercruiser
11/9/2011, 08:44 PM
Soooo many that you can't see the building next door?

The kids need lower tuition!

Serge Ibaka
11/9/2011, 08:56 PM
Almost all of my Trick or Treaters were Hispanic. By 9:1!
So, even illegals like a nice neighborhood!

Hispanic = Illegal?

And quit bragging about your neighborhood. You're lame.

soonercruiser
11/9/2011, 09:52 PM
Hispanic = Illegal?

And quit bragging about your neighborhood. You're lame.

You're jealous? (Just a good "Middle Class" neighborhood. My kids & grandkids get most of my leftover$.)

But, you are correct, in that I should have repeated the word "Hispanic".
(At least most of them did say "Trick or Treat" in good English. Parents just waived.)

soonerhubs
11/9/2011, 09:58 PM
Did you hurt yourself?

No, part of complex thinking includes the recognition of the uneven proportion of intellects in our populations. It's how I tolerate wunderkinds like you. I learn to accept simple-mindedness for what it is.

soonercruiser
11/10/2011, 11:56 AM
No, part of complex thinking includes the recognition of the uneven proportion of intellects in our populations. It's how I tolerate wunderkinds like you. I learn to accept simple-mindedness for what it is.

Sounds like something Obama would say to Joe the plumber!
Thank you for the compliment, Oh Elitist One.
:hopelessness:

soonerhubs
11/11/2011, 09:59 PM
I don't understand how a conservative doesn't drink all the Koolaide spewed by FoxNews, Rush, Hannity et al., so I will resort to insults and saying something distracting. I don't even know the meaning of False Dichotomies, and I'm too busy to Google the term because I have to find more articles from News Max to plagiarize.

Good for you man! Good for you!