PDA

View Full Version : LSU-Alabama Rematch

PalmBeachSooner
10/31/2011, 02:19 PM
What are the chances the BCS title game could end up being a rematch of these two teams? The loser in a close game isn't likely to fall very far in the polls. They could, in all likelihood, be the top ranked one loss team. It would only take a loss by OSU and Stanford and you're looking at a rematch in the BCS game.

That would suck.

soonercastor
10/31/2011, 02:21 PM
Only if Bama wins a close one, then the idea would be entertained...still not sure it happens. If LSU wins, even by 1, forget about a rematch.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 02:30 PM
This will be an interesting week, as the AP will put the loser ahead of all the other one-loss teams most likely, and the Coaches and Harris notsomuch.

The BCS formula will land the loser in an interesting place. The biggest obstacle for the loser is the loss of playing in their CCG, provided the winner wins out.

Boise is screwed.

If aggy continues to win, after we beat them we might...might fall into the game based on timing and beating ranked teams. Might. Oregon is worrisome, as we could see another LSU/Oregon game if they beat Stanford and go on to win their CCG.

Nobody outside the Willamette Valley wants that.

badger
10/31/2011, 02:38 PM
I don't think the pollsters would like the idea of voting in a #2 to play the nat'l title game at home turf, which is what LSU would be if they lost to Bammer.

This will be repeated often enough that it will stick in pollsters minds and impact the poll, much like Michigan's close loss to Ohio State didn't impact pollsters as much as people griping "They already had their chance at beating tOSU!" and voting Florida in.

I like Bammer fans better than LSU fans, so I hope they win the home game, but regardless, the victor must leave no doubt, no question at all that they are the superior team worthy of the national title game. That means not winning on a last-second field goal, but rather, have a win so assured in the closing minutes that Tebow starts crying:
http://images.quickblogcast.com/92833-85572/TebowCryingPoster_forblog.jpg

Seriously Bammers --- I realize you probably love your fellow SEC'ers more than your fellow historic program friends over here in the Big 12, but do the entire country a favor and make those corn doggers STFU about their honey badgers their grass eating mad hatter and the thought of a home game title game. Do it for AMERICA, Alabama!

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 02:43 PM
It could happen and I think this is more likely to happen than boise getting in. Still....don't think it's going to happen.

soonercastor
10/31/2011, 02:52 PM
Oregon is worrisome

No Oregon is OUT unless LSU loses twice. They already played and the game wasn't really close, NO ONE will want to see a rematch. If Bama wins, a one-loss LSU will always be ahead of one-loss Oregon so Oregon wouldn't make it in that scenario either.
Given Stanford loses, our biggest concern will be Boise State believe it or not.

1) Some people will just be ready to give the little guys a chance
2) Like it or not some people will be tired of us going to the MNC and losing
3) To our advantage though, some will not want to see Boise, or rematches. Plus some will be excited at the sound of an "LSU-OU" rematch, and most even had that preseason.

jkjsooner
10/31/2011, 02:55 PM
I think it will happen if OSU and Stanford lose.

What will be interesting is if the winner of the Bama/LSU game loses in the conference championship game. It's always a tricky situation when a team loses the conference championship game and the next team in line for the title game is a team that didn't qualify for that championship game.

Given, the SEC east is absolutely horrible so they're not winning that game but I'll give them as much of a chance as KSU had against us.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 02:57 PM
Castor, the computers don't GAS about what people want or care who they have already played, the numbers could put the Quacks back in it. The human pollsters would have to put them somewhere and that would likely be in the top 3, so the BCS formula could reward them greatly.

soonercastor
10/31/2011, 03:07 PM
Castor, the computers don't GAS about what people want or care who they have already played, the numbers could put the Quacks back in it. The human pollsters would have to put them somewhere and that would likely be in the top 3, so the BCS formula could reward them greatly.

We will definitely have the edge in the computers, and we will also have the edge in the human polls however slight it may be. Oregon would be playing ASU that weekend, while we will be playing OSU it will be a better statement game and will be considered a conference championship game by most.

soonervegas
10/31/2011, 03:13 PM
If LSU loses a tight one on the road (and Stanford loses).......the SEC better get ready for a month long bj from ESPN. They want this to happen....

Keller Sooner
10/31/2011, 03:25 PM
I can honestly say, if that happens, I will not watch it.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 04:03 PM
We will definitely have the edge in the computers, and we will also have the edge in the human polls however slight it may be. Oregon would be playing ASU that weekend, while we will be playing OSU it will be a better statement game and will be considered a conference championship game by most.

I would certainly hope you are right, because beating Stanford at #2 would give them a hefty boost.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 04:07 PM
Too bad Oregon plays in Palo Alto, then gets suc at home.

soonercoop1
10/31/2011, 04:35 PM
Honestly hope it happens because the BCS would finally be gone...

TXBOOMER
10/31/2011, 05:49 PM
I'm not real impressed by Bama's QB. I think LSU will prove they are the better team Saturday. No point in doing twice. I feel the same if LSU loses, no point in seeing the same two teams play twice. If OU runs the table and everyone being considered has one loss. Let's pack our bags for the toilet in LA.

ashley
10/31/2011, 07:57 PM
No way. This is not a round robin and a team should get only one chance.

tulsaoilerfan
10/31/2011, 08:00 PM
I'm not real impressed by Bama's QB. I think LSU will prove they are the better team Saturday. No point in doing twice. I feel the same if LSU loses, no point in seeing the same two teams play twice. If OU runs the table and everyone being considered has one loss. Let's pack our bags for the toilet in LA.

Im not impressed with the QB's on either team

IronHorseSooner
11/1/2011, 06:32 AM

I've said this a few times: if Stanford loses and we win out, we will play in the MNC. Oregon is two spots behind us now. If 'Bama wins, that would make LSU a nice buffer between us and Oregon. For all intents and purposes, unless a boat-load of things happen, Oregon is done, no matter what they do. A win over OSU at their place is better than their win over ASU. The Big XII SOS is what will keep us afloat. The question comes about BSU. One of the BCS gurus in ESPN (I think Brad Edwards) predicts that the 1-loss teams will start to pass BSU. There are still a lot of dyed-in-the-wool BCS Conference supporters out there who will not vote for BSU. Again, bottom line: Stanford loses, we win out, we're in.

Okie35
11/1/2011, 06:34 AM
Zero chance in hell. A team has never gone to the BCS title game w/o playing in their con ship game (if they have one).

Sinyeah12
11/1/2011, 09:19 AM
Nebraska played against Miami without going to the BigXII title game in 2001.

Sco
11/1/2011, 12:13 PM
No Oregon is OUT unless LSU loses twice. They already played and the game wasn't really close, NO ONE will want to see a rematch. If Bama wins, a one-loss LSU will always be ahead of one-loss Oregon so Oregon wouldn't make it in that scenario either.
Given Stanford loses, our biggest concern will be Boise State believe it or not.

1) Some people will just be ready to give the little guys a chance
2) Like it or not some people will be tired of us going to the MNC and losing
3) To our advantage though, some will not want to see Boise, or rematches. Plus some will be excited at the sound of an "LSU-OU" rematch, and most even had that preseason.

Doubt it. While the voters may love and want Boise, the computers recognize their schedule strength is weak. A one-loss Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon, even Clemson has a better chance of walking into that game than the Broncos. Boise needs everyone to lose twice to have a chance - and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed.

PalmBeachSooner
11/1/2011, 01:19 PM
Doubt it. While the voters may love and want Boise, the computers recognize their schedule strength is weak. A one-loss Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon, even Clemson has a better chance of walking into that game than the Broncos. Boise needs everyone to lose twice to have a chance - and even then it wouldn't be guaranteed.

You can't ignore the fact that in all likelihood the loser of the LSU-Alabama game will be the highest ranked one-loss team come Sunday night. Let's pretend then that OU, LSU or Bamma, Stanford, Oregon, OkieStateU and Arkansas end the season with one loss and Boise State goes undefeated as does the winner of the LSU-Bamma game. In this scenario who plays in the BCS?

I think it will be difficult for OU to get in. Because first, they lost to an unranked team at home and second, the rest of the Big XII is schmidting all over themselves.

cccasooner2
11/1/2011, 01:55 PM
If that happens, Nebraska and Washington should go at it again in a bowl game too.

badger
11/1/2011, 02:06 PM
If Bama wins, a one-loss LSU will always be ahead of one-loss Oregon so Oregon wouldn't make it in that scenario either.

One-loss Miami probably thought the same thing about one-loss Florida State in 2000 :D

SoonerFanInAustin
11/1/2011, 06:51 PM
To echo a lot of what has been already said. If we win out and Stanford loses, we will play for the NC. A loss hurts you in the computers. So the loser of the Ala/LSU will get hurt some. We will pass the loser in the computers. We may pass Boise in the computers this week, just based on who they play. Plus take a look at LSU's remaining schedule after Alabamba. W. Kentucky is 4-4, maybe 4-5 when they play LSU. Ole Miss is 2-6. Good chance of being 4-6 or 2-8. Neither will help LSU much in the computers. Arkansas will be helpful. They could be 10-1 or as bad as 7-4.
Now Alabama is in a little better shape. They have Miss St who is 4-4. Then Ga Southern who won't help them at all. Then Auburn is 6-3, could be 8-3 or will be 7-4 for sure. So their schedule is a little better.
Of course we know how our schedule. A&M is 5-3. If Baylor can beat Mizzu, they would be 5-3, Iowa St should be 5-5. Of course, we are looking at OSU being 12-0.

With that being said, I personally don't see anyway a 1 loss Big 12 Champ won't play for the NC vs a repeat match up with a team that didn't even play in their Conf Championship.

We just have to take care of our business and hope Stanford loses once. It would be nice for Wash to upend Oregon this weekend. Maybe the Ducks will be looking ahead. :)

CrimsonPirate
11/1/2011, 09:45 PM

First, let me say that I haven't been here in a while, but a sooner fan who showed up on rolltidebama.com reminded me that I was registered here so I thought I'd visit. Btw, I have a good friend here in Morgan City, LA who is from Tulsa and is a huge OU fan.

Regarding a rrepeat of the Bama-LSU game for the BCS title, I wouldn't want it. If Bama beats LSU this Saturday, I'd hate to have to play them again. I imagine they feel the same way. Also, don't sell AJ McCarron short. A redshirt sophomore, AJ has thrown for more yards than Jarrett Lee. He has a higher completion percentage and averages more yards per game than Lee. Lee's QB rating is 7 points higher that McCarron's and he has 3 more touchdowns and 2 fewer interceptions. Lee and McCarron are very similar statistically. I'm a Bama fan but I really like Jarrett Lee. My ideal game would be for Lee to have a great game, throwing 3 TD passes and losing to Bama by a point when the Tide defense stuffs Jordan Jefferson on a 2-point try.

picasso
11/1/2011, 09:57 PM
What's the point in beating them if you have to play them again?

StoopTroup
11/1/2011, 10:46 PM
Way to many folks around here think that Tech loss was a disaster for us. I still feel like this entire Season has proved that nobody is a lock. When there were so many undefeateds I just felt that heads would begin to roll. We were on top for quite awhile and even though we fell some...it's still true that it's better to lose early if your original position by the right polls were solid. In this case we didn't fall until the BCS Polls were out. We didn't fall the next week as we beat an undefeated on the road and not by one point either.....we gave them a beating they will remember for a long long time.

The whole people don't want OU in the Title Game might have a bit of weight but we still could be right in the middle of it at years end if oSu continues to give us weight and another mudhole stomping of another undefeated on the Road.

People might not like OU but OU has changed one thing so far this Season. We aren't losing on the road. We have cut throats in the 2nd half on our Road games.

That might inspire folks to vote our way should we destroy everyone left on our schedule and other Teams fall out.

I'm sure the "We need a Playoff!" bunch will come out of the woodwork but...IMO....this Team has somehow kept it together even though we've had some devastating injuries again.

SoonerSpock
11/2/2011, 06:31 AM

Should both OU and Oregon win out OU easily finishes ahead of the Ducks in the BCS computer polls which indirectly factor in SOS even though it is not a line item in their calculations.

Based on NCAA projections OU will finish with the 4th toughest schedule. Oregon will finish with the 21st toughest schedule. Other top schools SOS are LSU #5, OSU #7, Alabama #24, Boise State #55 and Stanford #61.

Given these numbers and OU winning out the top team in the BCS computers will be either OU or LSU as each computer ranking used by the BCS has a different formula for calculating their rankings which will impact the final standings. For certain however, Oregon, Boise, nor Alabama will rank higher in the computer portion of the BCS calculations with one loss (Boise with 0 losses). LSU perhaps.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/toughest%20schedule/tough.html

Sco
11/2/2011, 11:05 AM
You can't ignore the fact that in all likelihood the loser of the LSU-Alabama game will be the highest ranked one-loss team come Sunday night. Let's pretend then that OU, LSU or Bamma, Stanford, Oregon, OkieStateU and Arkansas end the season with one loss and Boise State goes undefeated as does the winner of the LSU-Bamma game. In this scenario who plays in the BCS?

I think it will be difficult for OU to get in. Because first, they lost to an unranked team at home and second, the rest of the Big XII is schmidting all over themselves.

I didn't say anything about the LSU/Bama loser. I was talking about Boise.

But let's consider our loss. 3-point loss to a decent team (I honestly don't know if computers take the home/away portion into consideration, but it can't have that heavy of a bias or else we wouldn't be #6 in the BCS right now). Now let's look at the other 1-loss teams' losses:

Arkansas: 24 point loss to Alabama
Oregon: 13 point loss to LSU
South Carolina: 3 point loss to Auburn
Nebraska: 31 point loss to Wisconsin
Clemson: 14 point loss to Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech: 20 point loss to Clemson
Kansas State: 41 point loss to Oklahoma

Our 3 point loss will be forgiven by the computers for one reason: the strength of the schedule and the Big 12. Obviously, this would forgive South Carolina as well in the SEC, but they have a pretty rough schedule to go (Arkansas, Florida, FCS, Clemson, possible SEC champ against LSU/Bama winner). The SEC champ game will all but take them out of consideration.

No way Oregon gets back into this - if there's any chance of a repeat game, it will be LSU/Bama part 2.

IF Oklahoma takes care of business and IF Stanford loses, Oklahoma's only real competition is with the LSU/Bama loser to get back in. We'll know more Saturday, folks.

Sco
11/2/2011, 11:06 AM
^Also, I know that it's not just about who lost to whom by how many.... I'm just making a point that a 3 point loss to Texas Tech isn't horrible. Would have been worse for us if we hadn't made the comeback.

76soonergrad
11/2/2011, 03:37 PM
I think it will happen if OSU and Stanford lose.

What will be interesting is if the winner of the Bama/LSU game loses in the conference championship game. It's always a tricky situation when a team loses the conference championship game and the next team in line for the title game is a team that didn't qualify for that championship game.

Given, the SEC east is absolutely horrible so they're not winning that game but I'll give them as much of a chance as KSU had against us.

Isn't the SEC championship game between the teams with the best records? like, a one loss team vs. an undefeated team? Seems that they will have a rematch once. Who else is undefeated or one loss in SEC right now?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2011, 03:37 PM
it's between the divisions...like the big 12 was

76soonergrad
11/2/2011, 03:43 PM

I thought the SEC championship was decided by the teams with the 2 best records. We used to do that. They changed it. Just sayin.'

76soonergrad
11/2/2011, 03:49 PM

I looked it up. I think you are right. I wanted it to be the 2 best ranked teams.

-sigh-

SoonerLaw09
11/2/2011, 03:49 PM
I thought the SEC championship was decided by the teams with the 2 best records. We used to do that. They changed it. Just sayin.'

That's inakrut. Both the Big 12 and SEC CCGs have always had the division champs playing each other.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, otherwise the big12 championship a lot of years would have been OU-texas again...

The championship game looks like it will be LSU or Alabama vs Georgia or SoCarolina

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 03:57 PM
It's all timing. A loss late in the year is impossible to overcome, and our loss to Tech was just about as late in the year as we could have a loss and still have a shot at the title game.

Oregon beating an undefeated, and #3 team would be impressive to both the computer and human polls, but OU beating an undefeated and #2 ranked OSU (#1 in the computers) would keep us ahead of them.

If Stanford wins out, none of it really matters unless LSU/Bama fall apart.

I don't think there is any chance of there being an LSU/Bama rematch in the title game. As Okie35 mentioned, there is no way the BCS will put a team in the title game that didn't win their conference. They'd have to put another undefeated or the PAC12/Big XII champion in over a one loss SEC team (no matter how much the SEC fans bitch and whine).

This is setting up to really **** someone off. Boise is the most likely candidate, but there are others. It may do just enough to force the NCAA to make a change in how a champion is determined. Can you imagine if there are 5 undefeated teams at the end of the year (LSU/Bama winner, Stanford, Okie State (I hope not), Boise and Houston)?! That would be epic meltdown in 3 fan bases (okay, Houston probably not so much).

jkjsooner
11/2/2011, 04:09 PM
You can't ignore the fact that in all likelihood the loser of the LSU-Alabama game will be the highest ranked one-loss team come Sunday night.

I agree if the score is remotely close. I also think this is the way it should be - especially if LSU loses considering the schedule they had to play this year.

The team that doesn't want a rematch will be the winner of Saturday's game. That's especially true if LSU goes to Tuscaloosa and wins. They would definitely feel that they've already proven themselves.

If Alabama wins they're not going to be happy to give LSU a rematch in New Orleans of all places.

jkjsooner
11/2/2011, 04:11 PM
It's all timing. A loss late in the year is impossible to overcome, and our loss to Tech was just about as late in the year as we could have a loss and still have a shot at the title game.

there is no way the BCS will put a team in the title game that didn't win their conference.

In 2003 we lost the last game of the year and did not win our conference. Yep, people complained and some formulas were tweaked but that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 04:15 PM
In 2003 we lost the last game of the year and did not win our conference. Yep, people complained and some formulas were tweaked but that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

That's exactly why it won't happen again. Not to mention the issue with it being the same conference members. I don't think the BCS can make an argument for putting two teams from the same conference, who have already played, in the title game.

After all the backlash from allowing OU into the 03 game (after the CCG loss), I doubt very seriously a non-conference champion would be allowed in.

Edit: I know that it's the "formula" that allows teams into the title game, not the BCS.

FtwTxSooner
11/2/2011, 04:21 PM
^Also, I know that it's not just about who lost to whom by how many.... I'm just making a point that a 3 point loss to Texas Tech isn't horrible. Would have been worse for us if we hadn't made the comeback.

A home loss against an unranked opponent is horrible. The computers don't take margin of victory in account. A 3 point loss versus a 33 point loss is one in the same.

delhalew
11/2/2011, 04:23 PM
I can't fathom why this thread has been at the top of the page for days. It's insulting.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2011, 04:25 PM
Yet somehow OU is 2 spots ahead of Oregon who only lost to the #1 team on the road

Sco
11/2/2011, 06:17 PM
A home loss against an unranked opponent is horrible. The computers don't take margin of victory in account. A 3 point loss versus a 33 point loss is one in the same.

Two reasons this is slightly inaccurate. First off, the BCS is compiled of the computers AND the coaches poll. The coaches do inherently look at margin of victory, so the BCS is impacted slightly by the margin of victory.

Second, a home loss against an unranked team? The strength of the conference is what is keeping us above everyone else right now. Oregon may have lost to LSU, but who else have they played at this point? Their most impressive win is Arizona State... everyone else is easily on the lower half of the conference (Colorado, Wazzu, Cal, Arizona, and non-con's FCS and Nevada).

A loss at home is forgivable if the overall strength of the opponent and schedule is high enough. In our case, Tech only has one bad loss to Iowa State. Losing to A&M and KSU is respectable.