PDA

View Full Version : Corey Nelson 3 Sacks Away!

OUVarsityXV
10/31/2011, 01:41 PM
Per Broyles Twitter Corey Nelson is 3 sacks away from the Oklahoma recordbook. He is currently at 5.5 sacks for the season and apparently the record is 8.5 sacks by an OU LB. Two things, first the record seems kind of low for a school with such a prestigious history of linebackers. Secondly Corey has been underwhelming to me. He had great games against K-State and Kansas to get 5 out of his 5.5 sacks. Anyone else think that Corey is VERY quietly on his way to a pretty significant record?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2011, 01:46 PM
A large number of years, this was a power running game conference..Can't get many sacks when teams aren't throwing the ball..Most college linebackers don't have high sack numbers anyway because they are accountable for so many other things...

JLEW1818
10/31/2011, 01:57 PM
Nelson will be fantastic at OU. He needs to improve on his angle tackling.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 02:15 PM
Along with STEP's infinite wisdom, I don't think the Sack became an official statistic until the mid '80s or some nonsense.

I'm not going to GIS it...just what I thinks.

fin

OUVarsityXV
10/31/2011, 02:17 PM
Just FYI I think he will be great too. I understand that things have changed schematically with LB's in college football, but take Sean Porter for example. The a&m LB would already have the OU LB sack record as he is already at 8.5. It is just hard to believe that 8.5 is the highmark.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2011, 02:27 PM
Per Broyles Twitter Corey Nelson is 3 sacks away from the Oklahoma recordbook. He is currently at 5.5 sacks for the season and apparently the record is 8.5 sacks by an OU LB. Two things, first the record seems kind of low for a school with such a prestigious history of linebackers. Secondly Corey has been underwhelming to me. He had great games against K-State and Kansas to get 5 out of his 5.5 sacks. Anyone else think that Corey is VERY quietly on his way to a pretty significant record?

Underwhelming?

He's a first year linebacker so he is going to make some mistakes. What I love about him is that he (and bird for that matter) play on our opponents side of the LOS instead of 10 yards deep on our side like our current LBs do.

NormanPride
10/31/2011, 03:16 PM
^^ YES

If we could get Wort to consistently play like he can (and stay healthy), we'll have a fantastic LB corps in a couple years when he's a senior.

OUVarsityXV
10/31/2011, 07:00 PM
Underwhelming?

He's a first year linebacker so he is going to make some mistakes. What I love about him is that he (and bird for that matter) play on our opponents side of the LOS instead of 10 yards deep on our side like our current LBs do.

Maybe I am exaggerating a bit. He certainly has looked really good in spots and I do understand he is a first year starter, but Stoops was awful high on him coming out of spring ball. Stoops said he was the best player on defense and that it "wasn't even close." After putting that into context I don't think he has been THAT good. I was more shocked at the school record for sacks which was set by Torrence Marshall. I think Terrell Suggs has the record at something like 27 in a season.

Jacie
10/31/2011, 07:11 PM
The single season INT record is only 7 and I hate to even say who still holds that one . . .

AlbqSooner
10/31/2011, 07:39 PM
^they named a stadium after him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2011, 08:30 PM
Maybe I am exaggerating a bit. He certainly has looked really good in spots and I do understand he is a first year starter, but Stoops was awful high on him coming out of spring ball. Stoops said he was the best player on defense and that it "wasn't even close." After putting that into context I don't think he has been THAT good. I was more shocked at the school record for sacks which was set by Torrence Marshall. I think Terrell Suggs has the record at something like 27 in a season.

Suggs wasn't a linebacker (unless ASU was running a 3-4) he was a DE. Watching him that year was entertaining because everyone ran right at him and he'd just OLE the fullback as they ran right past him.

At OU, the school record for most sacks in a career (any position) was only 12 pre-1990. The reason for this is simply that OU has historically been good every year. Good teams tend to have a bevy of playmakers that normalize out the stats compared with teams that have 1 great player around average talent. Its why if you look at the rushing totals for our running backs over the years, you see teams that set the NCAA mark in rushing with 3-4 guys barely at 1000 yards.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2011, 08:32 PM
The single season INT record is only 7 and I hate to even say who still holds that one . . .

Its 8 actually and there are like 5 guys tied for the record including http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/aa-jt-thatcher-2000.html

He does own the career mark with 17 and if you've ever watched some games while he was at OU, he could have EASILY had 60 (since no one punted they just knocked the ball down on 4th down).

8timechamps
10/31/2011, 10:47 PM
From the NCAA record book:

PASS SACKS
Game
6.0—Elvis Dumervil, Louisville vs. Kentucky, Sept. 4, 2005;
Ameer Ismail, Western Mich. vs. Ball St., Oct. 21, 2006

Season
24.0—Terrell Suggs, Arizona St., 2002 (23 solo, 2 assisted
in 14 games)
Also holds per-game record with 1.71 (24.0 in 14)

Career
44.0—Terrell Suggs, Arizona St., 2000-02 (43 solo, 2 assisted in 36 games)
Per-game record—1.61, Dwight Freeney, Syracuse, 2000-
01 (30.5 in 19)

I thought Suggs was a LB too, but maybe not. Nonetheless, 44 sacks in a college career probably isn't going to be broken for awhile.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2011, 11:37 PM
From the NCAA record book:

I thought Suggs was a LB too, but maybe not. Nonetheless, 44 sacks in a college career probably isn't going to be broken for awhile.

It is always interesting how players like Freeney/Suggs play at the same time. I don't think either team was that great, but both of them were just dominant on the edge. I caught a lot of Suggs' games and was just amazed at how the guy lived in the opponents backfield but couldn't stop the run to save his life.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/1/2011, 10:13 AM
Suggs was a DE that was drafted by a 3-4 team...The Ravens wanted to do similar things with Dan Cody also, just didn't work out.

StoopTroup
11/1/2011, 07:42 PM
^^ YES

If we could get Wort to consistently play like he can (and stay healthy), we'll have a fantastic LB corps in a couple years when he's a senior.

Crazy talk. Wort will take over and the name Travis Lewis will be forgotten soon. Tom is already the Leader....Travis's ego just can't take knowing it.