PDA

View Full Version : How much did the AtM loss hurt?

achiro
10/31/2011, 12:44 PM
Did mizzu scarew OU? If OU does win out will AtM not being ranked hurt even though OU beat UM? Enough to be the difference of having another one loss team like oreegun jump us?

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 12:48 PM
Nobody can know for sure, but I was under the impression it doesn't matter who beats who in conference because we'd have wins over both supposing we win out. A loss by mizzou would have hurt our game against them. So it works itself out I think...

badger
10/31/2011, 12:58 PM
A&M's public relations should do a better job of promoing their team. Aside from Mizzou, the two opponents they lost to are top ten and one is undefeated.

However, it will take a LOT of PR spin to get the fact that they've had three second-half losses on national television IN TEXAS (two at home, one in Jerryworld) in embarrassing fashion.

I fully expect that if it comes down to one-loss teams in the nat'l title picture for us to remind everyone that we were missing four starters and only lost by 3 points.

A&M media relations must be sleeping.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 12:59 PM
A&M public relations are too busy changing letterheads with the SEC logo.

soonercastor
10/31/2011, 01:03 PM
It doesn't hurt OU at all. Conference losses doesn't affect much, especially in the computers.
Note that every computer used in the BCS has OU in the top 10 strength of schedule

Jaybound
10/31/2011, 01:16 PM
Did mizzu scarew OU? If OU does win out will AtM not being ranked hurt even though OU beat UM? Enough to be the difference of having another one loss team like oreegun jump us?

No, we took care of that ourselves by getting picked apart by Tortilla Tech at home.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2011, 01:29 PM
let me put it this way.

When playing your conference, especially in a round robin format, the wins and losses will not hurt you so much. This is the reason why the Big 12 will likely finish as the top conference this year...from top to bottom.

The reason? Every conference finishes with win percentage of 0.500.

That said, no, A&M losing does not hurt us. Nor does Missouri winning that game help us. Now had this been where we were in divisions and we didnt play Missouri this year, then yes, the A&M loss would have hurt us.

I hope this makes it a little more clear.

badger
10/31/2011, 01:32 PM
Our teams faring well against non-conference competition definitely helped. There were only a few teams that had conference losses. A lot of Big 12 teams started conference play undefeated... including little ISU with their crazy wins over the Big Ten and Big East (rival Iowa and UConn). Go Cyclones!

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2011, 01:33 PM
No, we took care of that ourselves by getting picked apart by Tortilla Tech at home.

And yet that loss appears didn't hurt us very much, seeing us ranked #6.

LSU or Bama will lose. This will drop them to at least #6, meaning OU will move up if we win this week.

If OSU does not lose, until bedlam, and OU beats them, then OU will move itself up into contention.

The thing we need help with is Stanford. Boise will not survive a 1 loss OU, LSU, or Bama. Meaning they can go undefeated all they want. But the only way they are making a BCS title game this year is if all but one team that currently has Zero or 1 loss finishes with 2 losses and Boise finishes with none.

Boise will hover the remainder of the season between #4-#6 in the BCS as long as they win.

Jaybound
10/31/2011, 01:48 PM
And yet that loss appears didn't hurt us very much, seeing us ranked #6.

LSU or Bama will lose. This will drop them to at least #6, meaning OU will move up if we win this week.

If OSU does not lose, until bedlam, and OU beats them, then OU will move itself up into contention.

The thing we need help with is Stanford. Boise will not survive a 1 loss OU, LSU, or Bama. Meaning they can go undefeated all they want. But the only way they are making a BCS title game this year is if all but one team that currently has Zero or 1 loss finishes with 2 losses and Boise finishes with none.

Boise will hover the remainder of the season between #4-#6 in the BCS as long as they win.

All good points, however I believe that our only chance of Stanford losing was SUC and they blew it!. I honestly believe that Stanford will roll Oregon. Speaking of Stanford, how do we get one of those 6'8 TEs? lol I miss Jermaine.

cvsooner
10/31/2011, 02:30 PM
Stanford does have to face Oregon, Notre Dame and Arizona State. There's more than a chance of an upset in those three. But, yeah, we've got to have some help. Losing a game to a team that then loses to a nobody doesn't help us at all. Our strength of schedule continues to take hits too....

meoveryouxinfinity
10/31/2011, 02:37 PM
The only conference foe we really need to win is Oklahoma State. We need to play them undefeated and ranked #2.
Others would be nice too:
2-loss K State (losses to us and OSU)
3-loss Texas (losses to us, OSU, and KSU)

again this will ONLY help us in the eyes of human voters.

nativesooner
10/31/2011, 03:31 PM
What might hurt more was Tech laying down at home to Iowa State. I've heard/read 4 different things saying "But OU lost at home to Tech, who is HORRIBLE because they lost to Iowa State this weekend!!" :miserable:

PhiDeltBeers
10/31/2011, 04:08 PM
I fear the LSU/Bama loser will slip in ahead of us. Let's assume Bama wins:

1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Stanford
4. Boise
5. LSU
6. OU

Just don't see us moving up after this week even if we blow out A&M.

dennis580
10/31/2011, 04:14 PM
It didn't hurt us at all because we played both Missouri, and Texas A&M, and it just isnt going to make much difference in the computers or even in the voters.

It will however be a big deal if OSU is undefeated when we play them. Beating a undefeated OSU at the end year will make a lot of difference in BOTH the computers, and the voters.

OSU is already a strong #1 in the computers despite having yet to play a 1 loss Kansas St, and a 1 loss OU. The computers have a aweful lot of respect for both the Big 12, and OSU(OU is actually #5 in the computers ahead of Stanford).

soonercoop1
10/31/2011, 04:34 PM
Not nearly as bad as the Tech losses....

meoveryouxinfinity
10/31/2011, 04:35 PM
I fear the LSU/Bama loser will slip in ahead of us. Let's assume Bama wins:

1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Stanford
4. Boise
5. LSU
6. OU

Just don't see us moving up after this week even if we blow out A&M.

Best chance to avoid this scenario is an LSU blowout. LSU has a stronger strength of schedule and will be playing on the road. If Bama is blown out at home it might be enough to drop them below us in the polls. Plus the general idea is that most people want to avoid a rematch. LSU has already played Oregon too.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/31/2011, 04:38 PM
Not nearly as bad as the Tech losses....We need voters to accept this as a complete fluke. Players were food poisoned, texcuses, etc. Texas Tech is ****ty so it's not that far of a stretch.

Think UF loss at home to an unranked Ole Miss team in 08. Except that ole miss team didn't finish too bad like Tech will.