PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs' Last words: Oh wow, Oh wow, Oh wow

AlboSooner
10/31/2011, 09:14 AM
Before embarking, he’d looked at his sister Patty, then for a long time at his children, then at his life’s partner, Laurene, and then over their shoulders past them.

Steve’s final words were:

OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opinion/mona-simpsons-eulogy-for-steve-jobs.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1)

rekamrettuB
10/31/2011, 09:52 AM
Oh wow.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 10:09 AM
I need to start thinking what I'm going to say for my last words so I can practice it to where it becomes almost second nature to say it. Because when I die I hope i say something more profound, or at least more humorous than this.

jk the sooner fan
10/31/2011, 10:15 AM
did he utter them in ALL CAPS?

MR2-Sooner86
10/31/2011, 11:03 AM
I thought he would've said something like "Steve Jobs is syncing with iCloud."

AlboSooner
10/31/2011, 11:33 AM
The beauty of all this is the fact that we will all experience what he did. Hopefully we can say what we practiced to say. I'm sure it will be impressive.

BTW, Jobs was a Buddhist, as many of you know is an atheistic religion.

ouflak
10/31/2011, 11:33 AM
He must have found out that God uses a Mac.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 11:37 AM
He must have found out that God uses a Mac.
Or found out he didn't.....

SicEmBaylor
10/31/2011, 11:44 AM
Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.

nighttrain12
10/31/2011, 12:06 PM
His last words were, 'Tim Tebow sucks'.

Penguin
10/31/2011, 12:28 PM
The most common last words found on cockpit voice recorders after an airliner crash are: "OH, S***!!!!!!!!!!"

KantoSooner
10/31/2011, 12:58 PM
BTW, Jobs was a Buddhist, as many of you know is an atheistic religion.

This is important/significant why? He seemed to go out relatively calmly and at peace for a guy with so much to live for at a young age. Whatever he had going on seemed like it was working for him.

Breadburner
10/31/2011, 01:43 PM
Mayor of Hiroshima....."What was that...?"

OhU1
10/31/2011, 01:53 PM
This is important/significant why? He seemed to go out relatively calmly and at peace for a guy with so much to live for at a young age. Whatever he had going on seemed like it was working for him.

I think the unwritten punch line to the post is "then God flung Jobs into everlasting buring hell fire".

ouflak
10/31/2011, 01:59 PM
Ok then, he found out Buddha uses an Ipod.

AlboSooner
10/31/2011, 01:59 PM
Personally, it makes me wonder when compared with many pre-death experiences, if people see the same thing regardless of their religion. For example, when the father of a famous preacher passed away, he said "amazing, just amazing." Now the skeptic in me says this guys had pre-conceived religious ideas, maybe he was hallucinating.

Now, if someone who does not follow the Christian faith, and his last words are "oh wow," it makes me wonder if he saw something amazing, something worth "oh wow" being your last uttered words. Maybe Jobs hallucinated too, or maybe he saw a reality he didn't think existed.

Does that explain any why his religion has significance, for me at least?

AlboSooner
10/31/2011, 02:00 PM
I think the unwritten punch line to the post is "then God flung Jobs into everlasting buring hell fire".

God doesn't give Christians the right to judge non-Christians. I didn't judge Jobs. I would appreciate it if the same kindness was shown to me.

JohnnyMack
10/31/2011, 02:04 PM
I figured his last words would be something akin to Shatner's "KHHAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!!", only it'd be "ANNNNDRROOOIIIDDDD!!!!""

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 02:10 PM
Oh wow could mean lots of things. Maybe he was disgusted by what he saw, or suprised. Or an 'oh wow' this is going to suck....

AlboSooner
10/31/2011, 02:18 PM
Oh wow could mean lots of things. Maybe he was disgusted by what he saw, or suprised. Or an 'oh wow' this is going to suck....

All fair points. In the brink of death, uttering the same words three times it attached those words a certain mystery, a certain spirituality, that when considered with other death bed experiences, and the strong arguments for the existence of God, it makes me think spiritually, of a reality beyond ours.

In this case, because he had already seen the iPhone 5, the "oh wow" takes a transcendent meaning.

JohnnyMack
10/31/2011, 02:43 PM
All fair points. In the brink of death, uttering the same words three times it attached those words a certain mystery, a certain spirituality, that when considered with other death bed experiences, and the strong arguments for the existence of God, it makes me think spiritually, of a reality beyond ours.

In this case, because he had already seen the iPhone 5, the "oh wow" takes a transcendent meaning.

Man. That is like, so deep.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/31/2011, 03:55 PM
Balls deep.

When I die I want to say, "VIVA LA DEAN"

C&CDean
10/31/2011, 08:42 PM
Balls deep.

When I die I want to say, "VIVA LA DEAN"

You, sir, are one self-actualized, top of the mother****ing pyramid, no doubt about it winning son of a mother. For realz.

8timechamps
10/31/2011, 09:03 PM
When I go out, I want to quote, line-for-line, what Samuel L. Jackson said in Pulp Fiction:

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!"

And I want to say it to the closest nurse...just so she'll be like "what the ****?!".

John Kochtoston
11/1/2011, 05:19 AM
"My God, it's full of stars!"

- Sent from my iMonolith.

cleller
11/1/2011, 08:19 AM
We need more detail. Was he smiling and happy, or sweating and scared?

OUDoc
11/1/2011, 09:29 AM
Did you die happy?
Does anyone?

cleller
11/1/2011, 10:44 AM
"Rosebud" would have left people snickering.

KantoSooner
11/1/2011, 10:47 AM
Personally, it makes me wonder when compared with many pre-death experiences, if people see the same thing regardless of their religion. For example, when the father of a famous preacher passed away, he said "amazing, just amazing." Now the skeptic in me says this guys had pre-conceived religious ideas, maybe he was hallucinating.

Now, if someone who does not follow the Christian faith, and his last words are "oh wow," it makes me wonder if he saw something amazing, something worth "oh wow" being your last uttered words. Maybe Jobs hallucinated too, or maybe he saw a reality he didn't think existed.

Does that explain any why his religion has significance, for me at least?

Well, there are a couple of possibilities. Certainly hallucination or a like mental phenomenon related to the shutting down of the bio-chemical-electrical system of the body is one possibility. and maybe if you're a mentally strong, balanced person, like Jobs, the 'light show' is not unpleasant.

After that, we would need to consider the possibility of an after life. One possible afterlife would be whatever it is, but the same for all. If it's a Christian God, and you were a Buddhist or Atheist, then, jokes on you, eternal fire (for the God of the Old Testament is not one to trifle with. In fact he strongly resembles a late bronze age despot, which is curious considering that the Old Testament was written in the late bronze age....damn, we may have something here.) And, vice versa. You spent your whole life listening to Falwell and rubbing knee holes in the carpet? And then face the eternal light of Buddhism? Off with you to a life as a turtle to think about it.

Or, maybe, you get an after life that's custom made. Buddhists do the Buddhist thing and hang out, then get reborn, hopefully with a little more self awareness. The Children of Abraham get to spend a LOT of time judging each other and toting up sins. Shinto's get to go be a tree. 'Sinners' get comdemned to spending eternity in a smokey bar, half lit, with heavily made up women of loose virtue and a pool table that never needs quarters.

Knowing how I feel when going under anesthesia, my guess would be that Jobs experienced that 'here we go' sensation in the pit of his stomach and was trying to 'maintain'. But then again, I subscribe to the 'lightswitch' theory and don't expect much more than oblivion.

Jobs left us with enough of a concrete legacy to keep us busy for a long time. We needn't make of him a mystic.

AlboSooner
11/1/2011, 11:34 AM
Knowing how I feel when going under anesthesia, my guess would be that Jobs experienced that 'here we go' sensation in the pit of his stomach and was trying to 'maintain'. But then again, I subscribe to the 'lightswitch' theory and don't expect much more than oblivion.

Jobs had been fighting cancer for a long time, and was not stranger to anesthesia. Anthony Flew subscribed to the "light-switch" theory as well, in fact he wished it. However he did say that among religions, Christianity was the one to beat. This was his way of saying, Christianity makes the most sense out of all world religions. Obviously I tend to favor that view, and I am not immune to bias (who among us is immune to bias?). However, this is a fact: no other world religion has received/tolerated/withstood as much criticism in philosophy, science, and the arts.

KantoSooner
11/1/2011, 12:04 PM
I didn't say Jobs was undergoing anesthesthia, just that when my lights start to go out (and that's a close to death as I'll be until the big one), that's the sensatioi I get. so, perhaps that's what he felt as well.

As to the image of Christianity being pilloried by a cruel, cruel world, frankly, I laugh. You had the majority of 2,000 years as absolute and total dictators of Western Europe. Christianity dictated music, art, science, philosophy and everything else. To now state that these puppets spent all that time attacking their puppet master is ludicrous.

And, outside of Western Europe, the majority of folks were either too busy being genocided by Christian conquerors or fighting their own internal kerfuffles to pay much attention. Oh, and drop the 'tolerance' card as well. Christianity has 'tolerated' dissent or opposition to precisely that degree that they were forced to at the point of a sword or muzzle of a gun. When the power rested with the church, the church was an arrogant and terrible tyrant. And, to judge from the facial expressions of churchmen I encounter today, given the power back again, folks like me would be back on the rack by tea time today.

OhU1
11/1/2011, 12:30 PM
However, this is a fact: no other world religion has received/tolerated/withstood as much criticism in philosophy, science, and the arts. Christianity has adapted and evolved much like a virus to survive in a changing world. As scientific knowledge advances and can no longer be denied (or suppressed) by the church for example the theology just gets a little fuzzier in some areas. The religion itself is non-falsifiable regardless of discovered errors in the bible. Being faith based no proof or evidence is required anyway so ultimately facts don't matter.

It is hardly surprising that an Englishman would consider the dominant religion of his home to be the "one to beat". Proclaiming Christianity to make the most sense out of the world religions is like trying to argue that out of all comic book superheroes Batman seems most real. If none of the religious choices around the world are any good, being the best of the lot doesn't account for much. Not that I grant the premise that anyone can rationally distinguish one set of supernatural claims versus another and claim his version of the supernatural to be superior.

the-rover
11/1/2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe he had an idea for iphone6......too late

ouflak
11/1/2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe Jobs was foreseeing the disturbing direction this thread is going, and rather astonished.

AlboSooner
11/1/2011, 06:13 PM
I didn't say Jobs was undergoing anesthesthia, just that when my lights start to go out (and that's a close to death as I'll be until the big one), that's the sensatioi I get. so, perhaps that's what he felt as well.
I didn't say Job was under anesthesia. I also didn't object to your point that he might have had that sensation, however he had been under anesthesia before, and I wonder if he said the same thing.

As to the image of Christianity being pilloried by a cruel, cruel world, frankly, I laugh. You had the majority of 2,000 years as absolute and total dictators of Western Europe. Christianity dictated music, art, science, philosophy and everything else. To now state that these puppets spent all that time attacking their puppet master is ludicrous. Now you're just blindly attacking. History shows that Christianity allowed for science to flourish, and the first scientist were Christian.

And, outside of Western Europe, the majority of folks were either too busy being genocided by Christian conquerors or fighting their own internal kerfuffles to pay much attention. Oh, and drop the 'tolerance' card as well. Christianity has 'tolerated' dissent or opposition to precisely that degree that they were forced to at the point of a sword or muzzle of a gun. When the power rested with the church, the church was an arrogant and terrible tyrant. And, to judge from the facial expressions of churchmen I encounter today, given the power back again, folks like me would be back on the rack by tea time today.
We cannot judge a philosophy by the abuse done in its name. The politicized Catholic Church has never represented the Christin faith. But I am sure you are just as appalled, and have properly rejected atheism for its victims which outnumber by a large factor the victims of politicized Christianity.

Christianity has adapted and evolved much like a virus to survive in a changing world. As scientific knowledge advances and can no longer be denied (or suppressed) by the church for example the theology just gets a little fuzzier in some areas. The religion itself is non-falsifiable regardless of discovered errors in the bible. Being faith based no proof or evidence is required anyway so ultimately facts don't matter.
I would like to read your arguments and facts of this evolution. Please list errors as well.

It is hardly surprising that an Englishman would consider the dominant religion of his home to be the "one to beat". Proclaiming Christianity to make the most sense out of the world religions is like trying to argue that out of all comic book superheroes Batman seems most real. If none of the religious choices around the world are any good, being the best of the lot doesn't account for much. Not that I grant the premise that anyone can rationally distinguish one set of supernatural claims versus another and claim his version of the supernatural to be superior.
You are basically accusing one of the pillars of modern atheism, as egocentric. Whatever makes you happy chap.

There is no evolution of the Christian faith and doctrine. None. You can't take abuses in its name, compare them to the proper use of the faith, and cry out "ah evolution."

This will be my final response here, as this took a predicted yet disturbing turn, which I foresaw. I would like to thank ALL for their thoughtful and on-topic contributions to this delightful thread.

OhU1
11/1/2011, 07:52 PM
I would like to read your arguments and facts of this evolution. Please list errors as well.

There is no evolution of the Christian faith and doctrine. None.

Humm, let's see. We have many hundreds of Christian denominations that have developed over the years which have radically different ideas regarding doctrine. These denominations themselves convene and vote regarding changes in their doctrine and practice which change over time. We have new age contemporary churches in shopping mall type structures conducting services that are more like rock concerts. Religious practice and accepted dogma have changed. Women are even allowed to speak in church now!

Biblical errors? Do we really have time to delve into the rib women, talking snakes, Noah's Ark, Jewish slaves in Egypt, the Earth being created before the stars, zombies walking into Jerusalem, stars falling to Earth? These are issues of credulity and faith, not fact and evidence. To each his own.

cleller
11/1/2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe he had an idea for iphone6......too late

IPhone6!
Wow. Oh.

KantoSooner
11/2/2011, 08:21 AM
I This will be my final response here, as this took a predicted yet disturbing turn, which I foresaw. I would like to thank ALL for their thoughtful and on-topic contributions to this delightful thread.

Promise, Skippy?

Did you really? You must be omniscient since I was scheduled to be out of town without internet access.

No, no, WE insist, Thank YOU.