PDA

View Full Version : #6 in the BCS

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 07:29 PM
We're lucky to be ahead of Oregon. But, still in the hunt!!!

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:30 PM
1 stanford loss and we got this.

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 07:31 PM

Yep. I think a win over OSU would keep us ahead of Oregon (with a win over Stanford).

jumperstop
10/30/2011, 07:31 PM
Agree

stoops the eternal pimp
10/30/2011, 07:32 PM
If OSU handles business, they will be 2nd in the country when we go there to play...We beat them their place to close the season and we'll be in good shape

8timechamps
I'm really surprised we are ahead of Oregon. I think the computers are recognizing the Big XII as a very strong conference.

stoops the eternal pimp
and i said we...im not a "we fan"

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:33 PM
we need LSU to beat Bama. That's would be best.

BlownGP
10/30/2011, 07:35 PM
If OSU handles business, they will be 2nd in the country when we go there to play...We beat them their place to close the season and we'll be in good shape

That would be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:36 PM
who wants a bj?

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 07:37 PM

As much as I would hate to end up in the title game (should we get there) against LSU, I agree that LSU winning would help our case the most.

8timechamps
who wants a bj?

How'd that dude get on TV?!

Soonerus
I was hoping for #6 this week...

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:38 PM
who is this buttplug from cali on tv?

Sco
10/30/2011, 07:41 PM
Completely shocked we jumped Oregon after Tech dropped the ball this week. But I'll take it - it's still very possible we're playing for #8.

SunnySooner
10/30/2011, 07:41 PM
Why is LSU beating Bama better for us? I'm not doubting that's true, just curious as to why. I still get queasy when I think, if we DO get there, we have to play yet another home team for the MNC. It's getting a little ridiculous at this point, they need to make an Oklahoma rule or something, we've been screwed so many times on that deal.

And here's to second chances!! Buckle down and bring it, boys, there's butts to be kicked and hearts to be broken!!! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!! NOLA or bust!!!!!

Vegas Sooner
10/30/2011, 07:42 PM
or a loss to ASU...

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 07:45 PM
Why is LSU beating Bama better for us? I'm not doubting that's true, just curious as to why. I still get queasy when I think, if we DO get there, we have to play yet another home team for the MNC. It's getting a little ridiculous at this point, they need to make an Oklahoma rule or something, we've been screwed so many times on that deal.

And here's to second chances!! Buckle down and bring it, boys, there's butts to be kicked and hearts to be broken!!! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!! NOLA or bust!!!!!

I think the #2 team losing to #1 has a better chance of falling behind us. I think if the #1 team loses to the #2 team, they don't fall as far. Pure speculation, but in theory it makes sense.

fadada1
10/30/2011, 07:46 PM
stanford winning last night hurt. should oregon beat them, they jump up again. stanford is good, but beatable... but from whom, i don't know.

what also needs to happen, is a blowout win by lsu or bama.. followed by that winner losing in the SEC game. then, our boys clobbering the pokes in front of a national audience.

it can happen, but do we deserve it after the tech turd we put down??? tech losing to cyclone state didn't help either.

Sooner5030
10/30/2011, 07:51 PM
need UO to beat tree and then UO to have a shiaty game against a shiaty ASU.

dennis580
10/30/2011, 08:09 PM
Why is LSU beating Bama better for us? I'm not doubting that's true, just curious as to why

Several reasons. LSU will probably have a stonger computer rating then Bama at the end of the season making a rematch less likely if Bama loses. The game is also at Bama making a rematch less likely if Bama loses.

Finally LSU beat Oregon, and voters who don't want a rematch will then have good excuse to move OU ahead of Oregon in there poll.

I will certainly be cheering for LSU.

Iam4OUru
10/30/2011, 08:11 PM
Sorry fellows, but, I ain't pullin' for LSU to beat Bammer. Unless, of course, I am guaranteed that they will lose to Ar-Kansas. Now...that would be best. Stanford would not even come into play. Not that it matters, but, I ain't takin' no chances. I hope Saban beats 'em down.

UteSooner
10/30/2011, 08:13 PM
Would have to think that the KSU win will lose its luster after they lose the next 3 games. We were fortunate to get them first while they were highly ranked. If Oregon wins out it could spell trouble for us as long as we trail in the human polls. I hope Oregon can beat Stanford but USC beats Oregon.

Iam4OUru
10/30/2011, 08:16 PM
Several reasons. LSU will probably have a stonger computer rating then Bama at the end of the season making a rematch less likely if Bama loses. The game is also at Bama making a rematch less likely if Bama loses.

Finally LSU beat Oregon, and voters who don't want a rematch will then have good excuse to move OU ahead of Oregon in there poll.

I will certainly be cheering for LSU.

I doubt seriously you'll see any "rematch". I know all seasons are different, but, it didn't happen with tOSU and Michigan and I'll be shocked if it happens this year with Bammer and LSU. Even if Oregon runs the table, their woodshed beatdown by LSU would not deserve a "rematch".

UteSooner
10/30/2011, 08:20 PM
Also, how far does the Alabama-LSU loser fall in the polls? I hope Alabama can beat them in a blowout. I don't want any dumb talk of a rematch, something that would 1. potentially keep us out of the game (if things fall that way) and 2. not be fair to whoever wins Saturday---you shouldn't have to beat a team twice to prove you're better than them.

OSU being undefeated when we play them would be huge for us. I really hope they can pull it off.

oumartin
10/30/2011, 08:25 PM
There won't be no playing for number 8.. Boise should play for it before OU.. You lose to Tech and you aint got no business playing for the NC.

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2011, 08:32 PM
I say Alabama winning is better for us, because there's a chance Arkansas pulls off an upset of LSU and jumps us if LSU beats Alabama.

dennis580
10/30/2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry fellows, but, I ain't pullin' for LSU to beat Bammer. Unless, of course, I am guaranteed that they will lose to Ar-Kansas. Now...that would be best. Stanford would not even come into play. Not that it matters, but, I ain't takin' no chances. I hope Saban beats 'em down.

Are you crazy? If LSU losses to Arkansas, and wins the SEC championship they are still a lock to get in the NC game over us. No way we jump LSU if that happens. Your scenario does not help us at all.

OUHOMER
10/30/2011, 08:33 PM
There won't be no playing for number 8.. Boise should play for it before OU.. You lose to Tech and you aint got no business playing for the NC.

BS, tech is better any body on their schedule

Frozen Sooner
10/30/2011, 08:38 PM
Are you crazy? If LSU losses to Arkansas, and wins the SEC championship they are still a lock to get in the NC game over us. No way we jump LSU if that happens. Your scenario does not help us at all.

If LSU loses to Arkansas, it's no guarantee they'd go to the SEC title game at all. There'd be a three-way tie (assuming Alabama lost to LSU then beats Auburn and Arkansas wins out). Depends on how far they fell after the loss. I think the SEC uses the same tiebreaker Texas whined us into after 2008.

aj44mc
10/30/2011, 09:08 PM
I say Stanford should beat Oregon. I think ASU stands a better chance outscoring Stanford then Oregon in the Pac 12 championship. If this is the case OU should be well on their way after beating OSU.

cccasooner2
10/30/2011, 09:10 PM
I think the #2 team losing to #1 has a better chance of falling behind us. I think if the #1 team loses to the #2 team, they don't fall as far. Pure speculation, but in theory it makes sense.

What theory are you referring to?

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 09:18 PM

One of Einstein's lesser known theories.

BigTip
10/30/2011, 09:18 PM
sigh

Remember two weeks ago when we would say, "all we have to do is win out"

That was easier.

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 09:22 PM
sigh

Remember two weeks ago when we would say, "all we have to do is win out"

That was easier.

Saying it was easier. Actually doing it doesn't look that much easier - aTm and of course, OSU, still look tough. And it may not be enough.

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 09:29 PM

It was Einstein's theory of BCS rankings. Probably too advanced for the people on this board, so I'll just keep it to myself.

Okie35
10/30/2011, 10:36 PM
Yep. I think a win over OSU would keep us ahead of Oregon (with a win over Stanford).

Until Oregon plays a ranked team (probably Arizona State) in the Pac 12 championship game.

VA Sooner
10/30/2011, 10:40 PM
Making our way back up...

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 10:59 PM
Until Oregon plays a ranked team (probably Arizona State) in the Pac 12 championship game.

Could be. If they play ASU in the championship game (and win), it would be a quality win, but would it be enough of a quality win to jump us (if we beat OSU)? I still think that beating the #2 team would be enough to keep us ahead of UO, even with a win over ASU. At least that's my hope :)

FirstandGoal
10/30/2011, 11:25 PM
Provided we win out from here:
Best case scenario, we make it to the big game. Worst case, the Fiesta. Gosh it sure sucks to be a Sooner. :smile:

Iam4OUru
10/30/2011, 11:32 PM

No, I'm not "crazy", are you? Is it a given that LSU will even win the West Division with a win over Bammer and a loss to Ar-Kansas?

soonercastor
10/30/2011, 11:43 PM
No, I'm not "crazy", are you? Is it a given that LSU will even win the West Division with a win over Bammer and a loss to Ar-Kansas?

three way tie will come down to BCS, and that will be close. However if whoever wins that goes on to win the SECCG they will be in

soonercastor
10/30/2011, 11:46 PM
Another thing to note is that regardless of how far the loser drops (probably right in front of us) next week, that will change in the final when deciding which 2 teams get in.

Okie35
10/30/2011, 11:52 PM
Another thing to note is that regardless of how far the loser drops (probably right in front of us) next week, that will change in the final when deciding which 2 teams get in.

I think Bama is liable to get blown out. If that happens they'll fall further.

soonercastor
10/30/2011, 11:54 PM

Yeah any Bama loss would be good, blowout even better.

8timechamps
10/31/2011, 01:43 AM

I've watched both teams play several games, and unfortunately, I kinda think you're right. The one thing Bama has is that their offense looks more productive than LSU's. On the defensive side of the ball, they both look stout. LSU's secondary looks better than Bama, but Bama's front 7 look better than LSU. It's going to be a fun game to watch....but mostly because I like that one of them is going to lose.

Because I hate LSU so much, I'd love to see Bama win, but I'm thinking it's going to end up the other way around.

Okie35
10/31/2011, 03:53 AM
I've watched both teams play several games, and unfortunately, I kinda think you're right. The one thing Bama has is that their offense looks more productive than LSU's. On the defensive side of the ball, they both look stout. LSU's secondary looks better than Bama, but Bama's front 7 look better than LSU. It's going to be a fun game to watch....but mostly because I like that one of them is going to lose.

Because I hate LSU so much, I'd love to see Bama win, but I'm thinking it's going to end up the other way around.

I don't know about Bama's offense looking more productive. Alabama always starts slow offensively for some reason most notably against Tenn,Vandy, and Ole Miss. It if happens against LSU then it could end up ugly. LSU has more firepower on offense too and more trustworthy QBs. McCarron is the key to this game. If Richardson is getting contained early (like he did in the games I mentioned) then they'll have to start passing.

CBUS_SOONER
10/31/2011, 06:49 AM

It would be nice if LSU destroys bama

IronHorseSooner
10/31/2011, 07:20 AM
I see some flip-flopping between us and Oregon. If they beat Stanford, they might pass us. If we beat OSU, we will pass them. Even when they play ASU for the Pac-12 title, they won't get more SOS because they already beat them once. The tie-breaker would be our/the Big XII's SOS. Basically, if Stanford loses, we control our destiny to the BCS Title Game.

oumartin
10/31/2011, 07:34 AM
OU aint getting in over an undefeated Boise

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 07:40 AM

I suspect you're right, but only because I think the odds are against OU staying once defeated. Otherwise, we pass them. But Boise is no shoe in to stay undefeated; TCU seems to be getting their mojo back and Boise is not as good as the were last season.

oumartin
10/31/2011, 07:43 AM
Boise isn't losing until the NC game

NOVSooner
10/31/2011, 07:58 AM
i know we still have a shot but imo our best hope was for usc to beat stanford sat. night, then stanford to beat the ducks later down the road. we easily could've jumped to #5 in BCS had that happen, win out and we'd be good. voters won't put boise in when it comes down to crunch time. all that being said, lets dominate from here on out and let the chips fall where they may

Jacie
10/31/2011, 08:40 AM
The number of permutations are more than I can wrap my head around. However, we are only concerned with the ones that lead to Oklahoma in the title game. What it comes down then is what percentage of those send the Sooners to New Orleans?

Last week that number would have been low, say single digit stuff. Now with a #6 BCS standing, OU's chances got a big boost, somewhere in the range of 15 to 20 percent.

Remember in 2007 when things fell into place for Oregon only to have them lose their quarterback, which led to a season-ending 3-game losing streak? Not saying that will happen to any of the contenders but it is a reminder that quirky things can drastically alter the way it will play out. There are no guarantees any of the teams currently leading the BCS will make it to the final game. It is as conceivable for OU to be one of the two teams as it is any of the others (except Boise State), that we need not bother trying to follow all the scenarios until they thin down to something manageable.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 10:18 AM
Why are you so sure of this? Everyone on espn seems to think it won't be a problem at all. And while a lot of them have AP votes probably, it shows the mindset of the "voters" in the harris poll. People just don't think they are more deserving than a 1 loss team from a major conference. It hasn't happened yet so why would it be different this year, the BCS formula doesn't change from year to year. If you look at the number of points they have compared to the other undefeated they are significantly back in points. In fact I think we are closer to them than they are to OSU...if we win out BSU will not be a problem.....period....

Sooner1979
10/31/2011, 11:35 AM
Completely shocked we jumped Oregon after Tech dropped the ball this week. But I'll take it - it's still very possible we're playing for #8.

I am not at all surprised we jumped oregon, because it comes down to who you beat and so far we have beaten every ranked team we played. They havent.

SoonerAtKU
10/31/2011, 12:01 PM

I guess we'll see, but the next time a Non-AQ gets in over a 1-loss AQ team, it'll be the first time.

Polls are still 2/3 of the equation, and the computers are less than impressed with Boise anyhow. If they were playing a top-5 team to end the year, they might have a shot, but TCU is the best game the rest of the way, and there's nowhere to go but down.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 02:40 PM
I shudder at the thought of another Heisman winner going into another BCSCG and losing to an SEC team.

And you thought firing on Fort Sumter was bad...

8timechamps
10/31/2011, 08:37 PM
Why are you so sure of this? Everyone on espn seems to think it won't be a problem at all. And while a lot of them have AP votes probably, it shows the mindset of the "voters" in the harris poll. People just don't think they are more deserving than a 1 loss team from a major conference. It hasn't happened yet so why would it be different this year, the BCS formula doesn't change from year to year. If you look at the number of points they have compared to the other undefeated they are significantly back in points. In fact I think we are closer to them than they are to OSU...if we win out BSU will not be a problem.....period....

Most of the experts have said that an undefeated Boise would probably not get in over a one loss SEC or Big XII team. It boils down to the computers, and they don't like Boise's opponents. Sucks for Boise, but then again, play in a tougher conference.