PDA

View Full Version : How frustrating?

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 06:52 PM
Must it be to try to tackle Roy Finch? Last year, I gave him the nickname "waterbug". I love to watch him run.

Losing Whaley is bad, and I feel awful for the guy. However, if we were going to lose a player at any position, RB may have been the best position to lose one. Thank goodness (and good recruiting) that we are deep there.

Here's to waterbug and Clay having a great remainder of the season...and that Whaley recovers well.

picasso
10/30/2011, 06:53 PM
He looked good yesterday. We need someone catching the ball out of the backfield like that.

SoonerofAlabama
10/30/2011, 07:00 PM
Must it be to try to tackle Roy Finch? Last year, I gave him the nickname "waterbug". I love to watch him run.

Losing Whaley is bad, and I feel awful for the guy. However, if we were going to lose a player at any position, RB may have been the best position to lose one. Thank goodness (and good recruiting) that we are deep there.

Here's to waterbug and Clay, and Millard, of course having a great remainder of the season...and that Whaley recovers well.

fixed.

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 07:15 PM
fixed.

Thanks, how could I leave out the fastest FB on planet earth?!

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 09:01 PM
My one common complaint for the last 2 weeks is not taking the wraps off Brandon Williams. i was hoping he would see the field with Whaley sick last week and for sure now that Whaley is out the rest the way. Williams is the back with the size/power/slash like Whaley and I think we'll really need that the last few games. Stoops seems to be very tough on Williams and yanks him with any mistake. That fumble he had was after taking a helmet to helmet hit - not from poor ball protections. He got one carry yesterday before garbage time and he gave up on the designed hole too quickly and tried to go outside and lost a couple and that was it. I'd really like to see him get enough real carries to see how he'd do once the excitement wares off.

I fully admit I'm a Sunday, back-seat coach and I don't see Williams in practice and there are good reasons his leash is so short. It's great to see Finch have a good game, but we still need another productive back and so far, Clay hasn't been up to the task. Williams looks like a story waiting to happen.

Flame away.

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 09:39 PM
My one common complaint for the last 2 weeks is not taking the wraps off Brandon Williams. i was hoping he would see the field with Whaley sick last week and for sure now that Whaley is out the rest the way. Williams is the back with the size/power/slash like Whaley and I think we'll really need that the last few games. Stoops seems to be very tough on Williams and yanks him with any mistake. That fumble he had was after taking a helmet to helmet hit - not from poor ball protections. He got one carry yesterday before garbage time and he gave up on the designed hole too quickly and tried to go outside and lost a couple and that was it. I'd really like to see him get enough real carries to see how he'd do once the excitement wares off.

I fully admit I'm a Sunday, back-seat coach and I don't see Williams in practice and there are good reasons his leash is so short. It's great to see Finch have a good game, but we still need another productive back and so far, Clay hasn't been up to the task. Williams looks like a story waiting to happen.

Flame away.

I'd like to see more of Williams too. He seems explosive, and maybe it's some minor issues that he's working through, and not just in the doghouse for poor play.

I can't help but wonder if Clay is still playing injured. He just doesn't seem to have the speed he showed earlier in the season. As highly touted as he was, I'd think he will continue to contribute. The kid that was ranked ahead of him nationally (coming out of high school) left USC's team last week...not that it has anything to do with anything, but interesting.

AlbqSooner
10/31/2011, 07:36 AM
I REALLY like Finch and said so last year. Still like him a lot.

However, one of the announcers Saturday said he looks like Joe Washington. Sorry, that is over the top. He ain't there yet by a long shot. (Not necessarily a 1,000 yard shot, but you get my drift.)

cleller
10/31/2011, 08:14 AM
I'd like to see more of Williams too. He seems explosive, and maybe it's some minor issues that he's working through, and not just in the doghouse for poor play.

I can't help but wonder if Clay is still playing injured. He just doesn't seem to have the speed he showed earlier in the season. As highly touted as he was, I'd think he will continue to contribute. The kid that was ranked ahead of him nationally (coming out of high school) left USC's team last week...not that it has anything to do with anything, but interesting.

With all the talent at the position, I keep coming back to the idea that blocking ability must be absolutely paramount to the coaches. Either that, or they like to limit who gets in the game, to keep that guy in a rhythm.

VA Sooner
10/31/2011, 08:18 AM
Williams is making up for losing the fumble on our 20+ yard line against Texas. He's had flashes of brilliance/speed but needs more playing time at the college level to start seeing holes/gaps and shooting for them. He does look impressive though... just give him time and groom him in the meantime so he doesn't lose his mojo.

Finch has been outstanding... good running and receiving... look to see more of him.

Clay does look like he's lost a little elusiveness... hurt still?

Millard is a beast! Great blocker... and so fast for a beast.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 08:20 AM
With all the talent at the position, I keep coming back to the idea that blocking ability must be absolutely paramount to the coaches. Either that, or they like to limit who gets in the game, to keep that guy in a rhythm.

With Whaley out and Miller and Calhoun leaving the team, I see us being thin at RB now if Williams is not in the mix. I don't see any team relying on just 1 RB these days.

badger
10/31/2011, 11:49 AM
I have called him "Finchie" because he's so little and cute :)

(yes, I'm a girl, deal with it!)

hawaii 5-0
10/31/2011, 11:54 AM
I'm all for having Williams at RB. Use Finch in the slot or in motion and let him loose over the middle with the LBs trying to catch him.

How's Williams at picking up the blitz?

5-0

cvsooner
10/31/2011, 12:17 PM
Stoops said on his show yesterday, “Yeah, Brennan’s really about over the hump now. He’s [been] a little banged-up, but he’s starting to get back to full strength and we need him to.” So that would tend to confirm your suspicions.

boomersooner28
10/31/2011, 12:24 PM
It's pretty simple about Brandon Williams. Bob Stoops HATES fumbles. Period. If you fumble, you sit and watch. He had fumble issues in the spring and he fumbled on limited carries in game action.

delhalew
10/31/2011, 12:32 PM
When Finch gets that ball, he would sooner die than go down. I love that about him.

Consider how little we saw Finch after he fumbled. I think that's your answer on Williams.

delhalew
10/31/2011, 12:33 PM
When Finch gets that ball, he would sooner die than go down. I love that about him.

Consider how little we saw Finch after he fumbled. I think that's your answer on Williams.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 01:27 PM

Definitely a Stoops thing, but he didn't pull Whaley after his fumble and that was a ball protection issue. Obviously, Whaley has earned that respect and Williams hasn't. But that Williams fumble was due to the helmet to helmet hit; I can see Stoops using it as an example for a back that is not going to play much anyway, but I think we really need this guy in these last 4 games (IMO, of course).