PDA

View Full Version : USC is complaining about the PAC-12 officals, maybe he should have

Dan Thompson
10/30/2011, 05:57 PM
talked to OU and he would have learned what to expect.

Next time call time-out a little earlier.

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 06:03 PM
I love it when USC fans are unhappy.

PalmettoSooner
10/30/2011, 06:21 PM
Lane is a joke.

Breadburner
10/30/2011, 06:24 PM
Lame Kitten is a turd burglar......

delhalew
10/30/2011, 06:32 PM
Lane Kiffen...you stupid mother****er.

BigTip
10/30/2011, 06:37 PM
How stupid. I can't think of a single game where PAC-12 officials effected the outcome of a game.

(HUGE rolls-eyes)

Jacie
10/30/2011, 06:43 PM
How stupid. I can't think of a single game where PAC-12 officials effected the outcome of a game.

(HUGE rolls-eyes)

Well, I remember one where the actions of the officials effectively affected the outcome of a game . . .

BigTip
10/30/2011, 06:45 PM
the e is real close to the a on my keyboard.

grrrrrr

lol

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 06:47 PM
It seemed that USC had the superior athletes in that game, but Kiffen's game management was bad. Defensively, I thought they play pretty good. The more I watch Stanford, the more I see how without Andrew Luck, they are just a good team, not a great one.

On a side note, I had no idea that Luck called his own plays. I can't decide if that makes him extraordinary, or makes the head coach kinda weak.

MamaMia
10/30/2011, 06:52 PM
No calls and bad calls can make a huge difference in which team wins and which team loses. Officials performances should be critiqued and graded by a committee. Only the most accurate should remain.

C&CDean
10/30/2011, 06:53 PM
It seemed that USC had the superior athletes in that game, but Kiffen's game management was bad. Defensively, I thought they play pretty good. The more I watch Stanford, the more I see how without Andrew Luck, they are just a good team, not a great one.

On a side note, I had no idea that Luck called his own plays. I can't decide if that makes him extraordinary, or makes the head coach kinda weak.

The answer is "yes."

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 06:53 PM
The answer is "yes."

I KNEW IT!

Hot Rod
10/30/2011, 08:02 PM
Even if they got the timeout, they still wouldve had to make the FG, and their kicker almost missed an extra point in one of the OTs.

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 08:41 PM
USC lost and with the bonus that they are crying about the refs. This is a double happy occasion.

btb916
10/30/2011, 08:57 PM
Why doesn't he work on coaching his players not to try and sprint the entire length of the field, side to side, and instead go down in the center of the field and then immediately call a timeout with 5 seconds left. Then there would be nothing to gripe about at all, other than a missed FG...

THEE12NV
10/30/2011, 10:03 PM
Why doesn't he work on coaching his players not to try and sprint the entire length of the field, side to side, and instead go down in the center of the field and then immediately call a timeout with 5 seconds left. Then there would be nothing to gripe about at all, other than a missed FG...

OR why doesn't he understand that calling a wide receiver screen with 9 seconds left is stupid.........

8timechamps
10/30/2011, 10:24 PM
Lane Kiffin is the Les Miles of the the PAC, without the luck.

cyclonesooner
10/30/2011, 11:59 PM
Funny how the team with the chance to play for the national championship tends to get the benefit of the doubt versus the team who is on probation and going nowhere.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 07:53 AM
Funny how the team with the chance to play for the national championship tends to get the benefit of the doubt versus the team who is on probation and going nowhere.

USC blew it on that play when time ran out - not the refs. And it got a full booth review and the player clearly didn't get out of bounds and it takes more than .5 seconds for a ref to recognize a timeout request. The refs did blow it big time earlier on that drive when a USC lineman blatantly held a Stanford DE who was about to get to Barkley and no flag was thrown. The play was a big completion on the drive and the penalty at that point would likely have killed it and ensured OT. So you're claim isn't true for the play or drive you are referring to.

oudanny
10/31/2011, 07:59 AM
USC should have called timeout at midfied after the first play. Eventhough it was a first down, they lost 10 seconds getting lined up and calling the play. Kiffin totally mismanaged the clock.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 08:03 AM
USC should have called timeout at midfied after the first play. Eventhough it was a first down, they lost 10 seconds getting lined up and calling the play. Kiffin totally mismanaged the clock.

Agreed. But that game had OT/instant classic written all over it and would have been a shame to be ended by some wimpy kicker. The football gods were aware of this.

badger
10/31/2011, 08:06 AM
I would have to say that we had more of a reason to complain a few years ago, but this is the second time this year I can think of that USC has had screwy officiating near the end of the game that led to the Pac 12 office getting called/involved (the first being the TD that was negated during the game due to excessive celebrating, which the Pac 12 office overturned).

Lane was clearly calling for a timeout as his player was getting tackled. Clearly, the ref that saw him call for it wasn't fighting hard enough to get a timeout for USC called afterward... or perhaps he just let it go when speaking to the head ref. In any event, the head ref either overruled the Kiffin timeout, or the side judge ref didn't mention it.

People who think Bob runs up the score probably smirked "Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" when we lost to Oregon because of crap ref calls... even if we did have a chance to win it on a last-second field goal anyway. I am sure many, many more are saying "Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" seeing Lane Kiffin complain about reffing.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 08:16 AM
I don't know the exact rules on clock handling and requested timeouts, but I've never seen that reviewed or know if it's reviewable. But the refs on the sidelines did not start waving their arms to stop the clock until well after the play was over and a ref can't grant a timeout request until after that. The runners knee when down in-bounds with about .5 seconds remaining and a running clock. I've never seen a TO request granted that quickly as there is the human delay factor. Maybe someone else knows if that's reviewable and they could grant a timeout the instant the runner was down.

Regardless, it would have been a 50 yarder and 'SC doesn't have a great kicker. I think the football gods would have made that attempt doink off the crossbar for dramatic effect before OT.

tcrb
10/31/2011, 08:48 AM
The refs put the time back on the clock for Mack. Just sayin'.

Dan Thompson
10/31/2011, 09:44 AM
During one of the OTs, a USC WR lined up beyond the line of scrimmage. The ball was on the left hash mark, so WR was pretty close to the side judge. The guys foot was clearly beyond the line of scrimmage marker displayed by ABC. No call. So I guess the offical made up for it when time out was not called.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 09:51 AM
The refs put the time back on the clock for Mack. Just sayin'.

Very different situation. An incomplete pass stops the clock while a runner going down in bounds short of a first down does not. Just sayin'

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 10:12 AM
Very different situation. An incomplete pass stops the clock while a runner going down in bounds short of a first down does not. Just sayin'

I think what he was mad about though was he was sitting there next to the ref calling time out. And they did show the video. They could have gone back and looked at when he called timeout. I've seen them do reviews to get timeouts right before...so I can see him being upset..

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 10:33 AM
I think what he was mad about though was he was sitting there next to the ref calling time out. And they did show the video. They could have gone back and looked at when he called timeout. I've seen them do reviews to get timeouts right before...so I can see him being upset..

As I said, I don't know what the rule is concerning requested timesout. I have seen the refs adjust the clock when the timekeeper didn't see it, but I've never seen it reviewed to get an exact video snapshot. A ref cannot grant a TO until the whistle has blown marking the end of the current play and that takes some time. The clock had been on 1 for quite a few frames in the slow motion replay before the guys knee went down, so we're talking milliseconds here to blow the play dead *and* recognize a timeout. Not humanly possible and I doubt it's reviewable, but maybe the refs will make a conclusive statement on that. Sure the coach would want it, but pretty weak argument to actually complain publicly when he squandered many seconds on that possession. Better to save your chits when you have a real beef.

badger
10/31/2011, 10:33 AM
If USC wasn't a bunch of pansies and went for two in the first OT, they would have had a good chance of scoring and winning. But, pussie Kiffin went for one and couldn't keep matching Luck TD for TD. So, they lost. Tooooo baaaaaad

achiro
10/31/2011, 10:41 AM
There were a combination of things that got screwed up against USC at the end of the game. The "helmet to helmet" that wasn't that kept the trees drive alive. Then the clock kept running when USC was working down the field in the last drive. They put some time back on but I'm not sure it was enough to be right. Then the no time out thing. USC screwed up bad there but the refs did them no favors.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 11:25 AM
There were a combination of things that got screwed up against USC at the end of the game. The "helmet to helmet" that wasn't that kept the trees drive alive. Then the clock kept running when USC was working down the field in the last drive. They put some time back on but I'm not sure it was enough to be right. Then the no time out thing. USC screwed up bad there but the refs did them no favors.
That pretty much sums up my feelings about the end of the game.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 11:27 AM
That pretty much sums up my feelings about the end of the game.

I enjoyed the end of that game.

badger
10/31/2011, 11:30 AM
It was win-win for Sooner fans. Either hated USC gets embarrassed at home and a national audience sees how far this program has fallen, or Stanford falls and another unbeaten is outta the way.

It really doesn't matter though... I think this is the year that the pollsters simply can't ignore an undefeated Boise anymore if there aren't two unbeatens from the big boy conferences.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 11:35 AM
It was win-win for Sooner fans. Either hated USC gets embarrassed at home and a national audience sees how far this program has fallen, or Stanford falls and another unbeaten is outta the way.

It really doesn't matter though... I think this is the year that the pollsters simply can't ignore an undefeated Boise anymore if there aren't two unbeatens from the big boy conferences.

I think you're wrong about that. Most people are already ignoring boise and waiting for Standford to lose and determining which one-loss team they want to put in. I think there is a better chance for a SEC rematch than Boise in the title....

BigTip
10/31/2011, 12:07 PM

The direct consequences for us of a suc win trumped my long standing disdain for that program.

badger
10/31/2011, 12:14 PM
My oregano relatives are very much in tune with the UO/Satanford upcoming matchup. I'd have to say UO wins. Sorry, duck haters :)

When that happens, THEN we can see what the BCS is shaping up to be. Keep in mind that little sister schools also has yet to lose. You all should probably skip attending that game this year. It will be unbearable before during and after regardless of the game's outcome.