PDA

View Full Version : It's a yes or no question

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 04:52 PM
If OU wins out and Stanford losses a game, do we go the national title?

cccasooner2
10/30/2011, 04:53 PM
Yes or no.

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 04:55 PM
YES

Dan Thompson
10/30/2011, 05:00 PM
Ask the question after the BCS standing. my quess is Oregon

SoonerKnight
10/30/2011, 05:12 PM
YES!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/30/2011, 05:12 PM
suck it, trabek

sooner KB
10/30/2011, 05:19 PM
I haven't really been following these debates. What is the rationale behind assuming that the Coaches poll and Harris poll puts us ahead of Boise if they are undefeated? I'm willing to believe you guys that the computers might put us ahead, though I have my doubts on that. Look at how much of a gap there is on computer rankings between undefeated teams and those with one loss. Win/loss record seems to be way more of a factor than strength of schedule. Boise State is way out ahead of 1 loss teams with tough schedules as it is now. But anyways, even if that's true, why would the coaches and harris poll put us ahead of an undefeated Boise State? I just don't see it.

Oh yeah, and why a team with a loss to a horrid Texas Tech team at home should get in over an LSU with a loss to Alabama or vice versa is totally beyond me, but I guess you guys have analyzed it...

Breadburner
10/30/2011, 05:19 PM
We either will or we won't......

Sooner in the Bluegrass
10/30/2011, 05:20 PM
Um . . . maybe? If Oregon beats Stanford, but somehow manages to lose another game (e.g., the Quackers go to the Pac-12 CCG based on the tie-breaker head-to-head win-- and proceed to lay an egg), then we don't have to worry about either of those two. But if UO wins out, they stay ahead of us, especially if their only loss is on a neutral field to an LSU team that turns out to be the winner next week.

But even so there's a chance we get the nod, if enough voters feel like it would be better for LSU to play a different one-loss team than one they've already beaten and we REALLY impress in Stoolwater. That's a lot of ifs, but fewer (by far) than there were a week ago. The ESPN types were far more complimentary of OU (and dismissive of the Taco Tech loss) than I was expecting them to be.

Sooner in the Bluegrass
10/30/2011, 05:37 PM
But anyways, even if that's true, why would the coaches and harris poll put us ahead of an undefeated Boise State? I just don't see it.

Well, as exhibit A there's last night's (lame-o, but still interesting) "Final Verdict" segment on College Football Final. It's not definitive of opinion across the college football landscape, but I found it telling that Lou Holtz and Mark May decided to throw Boise under the bus. Neither took their side, even for the sake of playing devil's advocate (last year, IIRC, Holtz made the case for them playing in the championship). If the majority of voters agree, I could see them coming to the same conclusion-- that Boise's schedule simply isn't good enough. Mark May used Utah as his counterargument, essentially saying that there's no reason to expect Boise to perform similarly if the Smurfs moved to a real conference.

As for the Tech loss-- I'm surprised it didn't have a greater negative effect, I won't lie. I really expected us to be behind just about every other one-loss team (I mean we lost, at home, against a team we were expected to beat by 28). But we wound up ahead of all but Oregon. And as I mentioned before, there's no lack of love from the likes of ESPN (at one point during the night watching other games, I heard Reece Davis [pretty sure it was him]-- possibly after the GT-Clemson game was final-- say something to the effect that everything was back to where it was before last week, with one of the CCG slots going to the winner of OU-oSu).

We could still do with some help, and naturally we have to take care of business. But after last week, I was convinced we were done. Now I'm not so sure.

dennis580
10/30/2011, 06:21 PM
If OU wins out and Stanford losses a game, do we go the national title?

Its not a yes or no question. There are many other varibles involved. I will be rooting for LSU to beat Bama by at least 2 TDs this week. That is one of the varibles that would help us, but there are many other varibles.

I Am Right
10/30/2011, 06:22 PM
suck it, trabek

Now that's funny!!!!!!!

I Am Right
10/30/2011, 06:23 PM
suck it, traber

FIXED

dennis580
10/30/2011, 06:27 PM
But after last week, I was convinced we were done. Now I'm not so sure.

You must have not watched college football for more then a couple years then. Several years back LSU got in the NC with TWO losses.

I remember feeling after the Texas Tech loss we still had a decent chance to get into the NC game. Of course I knew most other people would way overreact, and think we had slim or no chance.

People seem to act this way all the time with a loss. Even though many times teams have made it to the NC game with a loss, and in the case of LSU TWO losses. With a team making it to the NC game with 2 losses this should have tuaght people not to overreact to one loss, but sadly fans, and the media have not learned.

BigTip
10/30/2011, 06:28 PM
Let's hammer on the food poisoning angle until the national press picks it up!

BigTip
10/30/2011, 06:32 PM
Even though many times teams have made it to the NC game with a loss, and in the case of LSU TWO losses. .

Yes, but you must remember that LSU is in the SEC.

(again I call for us to have a throw up smilie as I would be inserting at least two of them here)

dennis580
10/30/2011, 06:32 PM
By the way if Stanford loses Boise is not the main threat to us. Its Oregon. I acutally not very concerned at all about Boise keeping us out. Its Oregon that concerns me.

SPuL
10/30/2011, 07:10 PM
I say yes.

Most likely the BCS standings will look like this: 1. LSU, 2. Alabama, 3. Oklahoma State, 4. Stanford, 5. Boise State, 6. Oklahoma, 7. Oregon, 8. Arkansas, 9. South Carolina, 10. Virginia Tech

If Stanford were to lose, I am pretty sure if we win out we would secure a spot in the national title game. With or without Boise St. losing. However, it would be nice to have a couple things happen.

I'd say we'd need to hope for a LSU-Alabama blow out or if close, a slopfest where neither team looks too impressive. Then we'd need to hope for OSU to be undefeated until our showdown. A victory over the undefeated #2 (or #1 possibly if LSU/Bama winner drops one) at their house? I'd say that would be a big enough push to hop over Boise St. and the LSU/Bama winner.

An Oregon and Arkansas loss would be nice too. As I believe both teams are still currently ahead of us in some computer rankings.

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:13 PM
but Oregon is gay

SPuL
10/30/2011, 07:14 PM
By the way if Stanford loses Boise is not the main threat to us. Its Oregon. I acutally not very concerned at all about Boise keeping us out. Its Oregon that concerns me.

Well, I'm pretty sure we will be ahead of Oregon in this week's standings. We were 7th in computers and Oregon were 12. KSU were 5th in computers. So that's going to help us. So we will be one spot ahead of Oregon.

If Oregon beats undefeated Stanford, they will hop us momentarily. However, we get the last laugh, as we play OSU (hopefully undefeated) at home. We win that against a top 2 team, we will definitely pull ahead of Oregon.

A LSU loss next week might also help the cause.

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:15 PM
pac12 championship will be big

Fraggle145
10/30/2011, 07:16 PM

They'd have beaten the likely #4 if Oregon wins, we'd have beaten the likely #2 if we win against OSU. And we would have done it right at the end of the season. Not to mention Stanford will still have to win the Pac12 championship game.

StoopTroup
10/30/2011, 07:18 PM
?

olevetonahill
10/30/2011, 07:23 PM
OU continues to Stomp mud holes and Stanford gets beat , The yes we will be there
As a Sooner Fan Ya got to believe

Keller Sooner
10/30/2011, 07:26 PM
A possible yes if OU runs the table and looks impressive in doing so. No, if Stanford wins out. I think we might edge out Boise and Oregon. I don't see two SEC teams in the NCG, although I guess it could happen.

SPuL
10/30/2011, 07:29 PM
wow 2 spot lead on Oregon. Nice

BeaSooner
10/30/2011, 07:32 PM
Why don't we just worry about the game that is next on our schedule.

JLEW1818
10/30/2011, 07:34 PM
b/c this is a message board you ******. We can worry about what we want.

i done whooped everybody's *** on this message board anyways...

dean, step, c11, st, vet... you name it.

BeaSooner
10/30/2011, 07:38 PM

i done whooped everybody's *** on this message board anyways...

You ARE impressive.

jumperstop
10/30/2011, 07:40 PM
Yes

stoops the eternal pimp
10/30/2011, 07:40 PM

i done licked everybody's ***on this message board anyways...

more than once

BeaSooner
10/30/2011, 07:41 PM
more than once

hahaha

Sco
10/30/2011, 07:43 PM
Yes or no.

It's a simple question, Doc! If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it? Just say yes and we'll move on.

oumartin
10/30/2011, 08:29 PM
NO

btb916
10/30/2011, 08:51 PM
You must have not watched college football for more then a couple years then. Several years back LSU got in the NC with TWO losses.

I remember feeling after the Texas Tech loss we still had a decent chance to get into the NC game. Of course I knew most other people would way overreact, and think we had slim or no chance.

People seem to act this way all the time with a loss. Even though many times teams have made it to the NC game with a loss, and in the case of LSU TWO losses. With a team making it to the NC game with 2 losses this should have tuaght people not to overreact to one loss, but sadly fans, and the media have not learned.

Quick summary: in 6 out of 12 BCS championships, at least one team has had one loss. Only LSU has had 2 losses and got in.

2010:

Auburn (undefeated) v. Oregon (undefeated)

2009:

'Bama (undefeated) v. Texas (undefeated)

2008:

OU (1 loss) v. Florida (1 loss)

2007:

LSU (2 losses) v. tOSU (1 loss)

2006:

Florida (1 loss) v. tOSU (undefeated)

2005:

Texas (undefeated) v. USC (undefeated)

2004:

OU (undefeated) v. USC (undefeated)

2003:

LSU (1 loss) v. OU (1 loss)

2002:

Miami (undefeated) v. tOSU (undefeated)

2001:

Miami (undefeated) v. Nebraska (1 loss--w/NU jumping 1 loss Oregon)

2000:

OU (undefeated) v. FSU (undefeated)

1999:

FSU (undefeated) v. VaTech (undefeated)

1998:

UTenn (undefeated) v. FSU (1 loss)

LSU in 2007 was an anomaly and almost certainly won't happen this year. The fact that people "overreacted" was prompted by a confusing loss to a team that is really not very good at home, where we have basically been invincible for years, in a season where three teams have a very good chance of going undefeated. So even if it was an overreaction, which I don't think it was at least insofar as people were reasonable and not clamoring to fire someone or whatever, it was understandable.

jumperstop
10/30/2011, 10:16 PM
Quick summary: in 6 out of 12 BCS championships, at least one team has had one loss. Only LSU has had 2 losses and got in.

2010:

Auburn (undefeated) v. Oregon (undefeated)

2009:

'Bama (undefeated) v. Texas (undefeated)

2008:

OU (1 loss) v. Florida (1 loss)

2007:

LSU (2 losses) v. tOSU (1 loss)

2006:

Florida (1 loss) v. tOSU (undefeated)

2005:

Texas (undefeated) v. USC (undefeated)

2004:

OU (undefeated) v. USC (undefeated)

2003:

LSU (1 loss) v. OU (1 loss)

2002:

Miami (undefeated) v. tOSU (undefeated)

2001:

Miami (undefeated) v. Nebraska (1 loss--w/NU jumping 1 loss Oregon)

2000:

OU (undefeated) v. FSU (undefeated)

1999:

FSU (undefeated) v. VaTech (undefeated)

1998:

UTenn (undefeated) v. FSU (1 loss)

LSU in 2007 was an anomaly and almost certainly won't happen this year. The fact that people "overreacted" was prompted by a confusing loss to a team that is really not very good at home, where we have basically been invincible for years, in a season where three teams have a very good chance of going undefeated. So even if it was an overreaction, which I don't think it was at least insofar as people were reasonable and not clamoring to fire someone or whatever, it was understandable.
I thought FSU lost to Miami in 2000....

btb916
10/30/2011, 10:23 PM
I thought FSU lost to Miami in 2000....

You're right.

King Barry's Back
10/30/2011, 10:35 PM
Well, as exhibit A there's last night's (lame-o, but still interesting) "Final Verdict" segment on College Football Final. It's not definitive of opinion across the college football landscape, but I found it telling that Lou Holtz and Mark May decided to throw Boise under the bus. Neither took their side, even for the sake of playing devil's advocate (last year, IIRC, Holtz made the case for them playing in the championship). If the majority of voters agree, I could see them coming to the same conclusion-- that Boise's schedule simply isn't good enough. Mark May used Utah as his counterargument, essentially saying that there's no reason to expect Boise to perform similarly if the Smurfs moved to a real conference.

As for the Tech loss-- I'm surprised it didn't have a greater negative effect, I won't lie. I really expected us to be behind just about every other one-loss team (I mean we lost, at home, against a team we were expected to beat by 28). But we wound up ahead of all but Oregon. And as I mentioned before, there's no lack of love from the likes of ESPN (at one point during the night watching other games, I heard Reece Davis [pretty sure it was him]-- possibly after the GT-Clemson game was final-- say something to the effect that everything was back to where it was before last week, with one of the CCG slots going to the winner of OU-oSu).

We could still do with some help, and naturally we have to take care of business. But after last week, I was convinced we were done. Now I'm not so sure.

I agree almost completely with this post. After last week I thought we were playing for, at best, another Fiesta Bowl trip, but i think we are a lot closer to the championship game than anybody dreamed possible.

I'll make some assumptions:

1. We will go ahead of any 1-loss teams from the ACC, Big East or non-AQ conferences.
2. We will go ahead of Boise State, because they are not a real national championship contender.
3. Both OU and OSU manage to win the rest of their games going into Bedlam.

Under this scenario, the SEC champion probably faces either the Bedlam winner or the Pac12 Champion. (If both Stanford and OSU go undefeated, it'll be interesting to see who gets in, no?)

My biggest problem right now is how does a one-loss OU get in over a one-loss Pac 12 Champ - either Stanford or Oregon? That's going to be hard to justify - and the only way to do so is based on a giant showdown in Bedlam.

So i guess we all actually have to cheer for PokeState to remain in the absolute elit of the polls.

VA Sooner
10/30/2011, 10:42 PM
Yes. But to insure it... need to blow out every team from here on out.

I say we do it anyway... just for fun.

soonercastor
10/30/2011, 11:42 PM
Here's the thing. If LSU loses a close game, i believe there will be a rematch for the first time ever.
However if LSU wins (I personally think this is what will happen), these will be the candidates

Oregon: People would not want to see a rematch of LSU-Oregon, you can bank on that. Not a concern at all.
Bama: Bama lost at HOME to LSU already, meaning LSU is clearly the better team. No rematch will happen with this scenario even if it's a close game.
Boise: This will be the biggest obstacle IMO, believe or not. Some people will not be willing to put a team that lost to T Tech at home, some people will love how a LSU-OU NCG sounds, some people hate Boise.

And I think the human polls will be very close on this one, with a very few people favoring Bama, and another very few faoring Oregon. We will have the edge over both Oregon and Boise in the computers, and possibly bama.

So to resume if LSU wins AND Stanford loses I think we'll be IN, barely. If Bama wins a close one then I think we might just have our first rematch ever.

Iam4OUru
10/30/2011, 11:57 PM

The 2007 season was a total abberation. The top 2 teams in the country lost on the final weekend, and, so did LSU. How the hell they got into the title game is still beyond me.

If we should lose to OSU on the final day.....I guess there's no need for worry. :distant:

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 07:56 AM
The 2007 season was a total abberation. The top 2 teams in the country lost on the final weekend, and, so did LSU. How the hell they got into the title game is still beyond me.

If we should lose to OSU on the final day.....I guess there's no need for worry. :distant:

Somebody had to get there and LSU never lost in regulation that year. :stupid:

jkjsooner
10/31/2011, 08:49 AM
If everyone (outside of Boise St.) loses at least one game, I think we're looking at a Bama/LSU rematch unless one of those teams blows the other out. I'm not so sure I'd argue against a rematch.

I was the first one to complain about all the talk about a rematch over an undefeated team but if everyone has one loss and you have a close game in Tuscaloosa a rematch might be the obvious choice.

LASooner
10/31/2011, 09:00 AM
Oregon could get a significant bump from beating Stanford especially if Stanford finishes the season with only that one loss. I say 'No' to the original question. It also doesn't take into account the late season poll shenanigans when the press becomes outraged that poor undefeated Boise is going to be passed over again.

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2011, 09:56 AM
Oregon could get a significant bump from beating Stanford especially if Stanford finishes the season with only that one loss. I say 'No' to the original question. It also doesn't take into account the late season poll shenanigans when the press becomes outraged that poor undefeated Boise is going to be passed over again.

Most the press I've seen has been talking the opposite way - citing BSU's schedule and the fact they should not be under consideration. I do think they want to talk about it though - makes a good story.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 10:05 AM
Somebody had to get there and LSU never lost in regulation that year. :stupid:

I was more like we have lost a game this year....

.....in regulation