PDA

View Full Version : We actually scored TDs, not FGs, from the Redzone yesterday!!

SunnySooner
10/30/2011, 09:02 AM
All the gnashing of teeth about it, just realized this. Our only FG was that 54 yarder (lol, that's hard to believe that's right!). Maybe the extra work in this area is paying off, hopefully it's the start of a trend, and I won't have to hear any more announcers pontificating about our "punch-in" problem. Good jorb, boys!! And coaches, whatever you did yesterday, lather, rinse, repeat next Saturday.:encouragement:

btb916
10/30/2011, 09:06 AM
It has undeniably been a problem...looked good today, hope we keep it up.

OUHOMER
10/30/2011, 09:06 AM
we did, I liked the new plays with Bell on short yardage plays.

SunnySooner
10/30/2011, 09:19 AM
I liked the one with Bell, too--if you need a QB sneak play for a yard or whatever, might as well use the biggest, strongest QB ya got to just power thru that line. It sure seems to make sense, anyway. As long as that big *** QB doesn't DROP THE BALL!!!!!

cleller
10/30/2011, 09:39 AM
Eventually he's going to have to either hand off that ball, or run it another direction to keep the opposing D honest.

kevpks
10/30/2011, 11:03 AM
Eventually he's going to have to either hand off that ball, or run it another direction to keep the opposing D honest.

Jump pass to Hanna!

Soonerus
10/30/2011, 11:28 AM
You know Bell will pass at some point...

tulsaoilerfan
10/30/2011, 12:00 PM
I like the Bell wrinkle because it gives the defense something else to gameplan for

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 12:07 PM
You know Bell will pass at some point...

Yep, maybe it was a pass on that play he dropped the ball. Maybe not :)

I like the Bell wrinkle because it gives the defense something else to gameplan for

I liked a lot of calls yesterday. Threw to Hanna a lot + 1 to Ratteree. Going to a tall guy, Miller, at the back of the endzone. Creative ways to get Finch into space. Using Millard as the main back on that 1 run (I know, garbage time). I'm sure the almost 700 yards was mostly due to execution along with the D shutting down KSU so they couldn't play keep away. But there was a lot of creativity in there as well. I suspect we'll need that a lot more next week when we host a more talented team.

Sooner5030
10/30/2011, 12:48 PM
another observation from this year:

Our vertical passing has increased. Making the defense scheme for the entire field.....not just 5 yards from the LOS.

SoonerofAlabama
10/30/2011, 12:50 PM
Was it 5 redzone TDs yesterday?

GreenSooner
10/30/2011, 12:52 PM
Though there have been quarters here and there when the playcalling has been stale this year (2nd Quarter of the Tech game, I'm lookin' at you!), overall Heupel has been much more willing to experiment with the offense that Kevin Wilson was. And that's a very good thing.

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2011, 12:55 PM
another observation from this year:

Our vertical passing has increased. Making the defense scheme for the entire field.....not just 5 yards from the LOS.

I think this could be critical next week. What I've seen of aTm, they are stupid aggressive on defense. They will challenge the run and the short passing game so much that they get burned down field for big plays. I would fear that KW would be stubborn to a fault trying to impose our will on those things and not wanting to go downfield. Heupel doesn't seem so inhibited.

hawaii 5-0
10/30/2011, 01:12 PM
You mean when we line up in the 'I' formation it's not automatically a handoff to the tailback like Wilson used to do?

That predictable formation drove me crazy.

I sought treatment and I'm a little better, thank you.

5-0

BigTip
10/30/2011, 01:36 PM
we did, I liked the new plays with Bell on short yardage plays.

Yes, it was great to score touchdowns, and it was great to see us trying something different.