PDA

View Full Version : QB that can run

winout
10/29/2011, 10:37 PM
I'm just thinking that having a qb that can pick up a first down with his feet once-in-awhile is fairly critical. Not a Randall Cunningham type but someone when flushed out of the pocket or when there is an opening can take advantage of it. Think Jason White pre knee injuries but with the post knee injuries passing game. Thoughts?

TMcGee86
10/29/2011, 10:44 PM
Totally agree. I'm amazed at how much Josh ran when I go back and watch clips of the 00 season.

Just ask Texas if they miss a guy who could run for a first down.

picasso
10/29/2011, 10:54 PM
I think he should also be able to quick kick or drop kick even. Ah heck, he should be able to tackle too!

Petro-Sooner
10/29/2011, 10:55 PM
Hell yes!! I don't want to hear about knee injuries. It's ok for running backs and receivers to have the ball. Dont they have the same risk? Let's get a qb that will step it up and run with it. Not knocking Landry at all. But a qb that would run would be nice to see.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/30/2011, 09:29 AM
Josh had positive rushing yards in the 2000 season and if I recall, between his subtle ability and Oklahoma's defense, he actually outrushed FSU in the BCS title game. If Bell does become the starter down the road, if he isn't allowed to run the ball, then it will never happen. My gut feeling is Stoops will be more receptive to it since Bell is carrying 240+ pounds on him. A truly mobile/running QB in Oklahoma's system with Coach Heupel coaching them would truly be deadly.

cleller
10/30/2011, 09:37 AM
Quote from Stoops on Bell:
“It's something we'll keep evolving with,” said coach Bob Stoops. “Blake is so physical and strong. He's about 255 pounds. It's another guy to defend. The beauty of it is he can throw the ball. We're going to keep developing that.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-notebook-offense-adds-bell-package/article/3618396#ixzz1cHCvJJ4V

255 pounds. Who would have thought QBs would like like that? That is, when thinking back to the wishbone days.

What do you think Kendal Thompson's future looks like? Battling for starting QB? Switch to WR? Wildcat QB?

Jacie
10/30/2011, 10:14 AM
Hell yes!! I don't want to hear about knee injuries. It's ok for running backs and receivers to have the ball. Dont they have the same risk?

Yes, but when the Sooners lose a running back, the coaches can insert a backup without too much drop off in offensive capability. What would be the result if OUr quarteback went down and the second stringer had to play?

Oh wait, we've been there, done that . . .

pphilfran
10/30/2011, 10:20 AM
This offense requires a premium arm...legs are secondary....very few runners meet the needed arm criteria...

BigTip
10/30/2011, 10:26 AM
I think he should also be able to quick kick or drop kick even. Ah heck, he should be able to tackle too!

AND sing the national anthem!

rekamrettuB
10/30/2011, 10:30 AM
I'm just thinking that having a qb that can pick up a first down with his feet once-in-awhile is fairly critical. Not a Randall Cunningham type but someone when flushed out of the pocket or when there is an opening can take advantage of it. Think Jason White pre knee injuries but with the post knee injuries passing game. Thoughts?

You would have a Steve Young and the perfect college QB.

dwarthog
10/30/2011, 10:41 AM
Quote from Stoops on Bell:
“It's something we'll keep evolving with,” said coach Bob Stoops. “Blake is so physical and strong. He's about 255 pounds. It's another guy to defend. The beauty of it is he can throw the ball. We're going to keep developing that.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-notebook-offense-adds-bell-package/article/3618396#ixzz1cHCvJJ4V

255 pounds. Who would have thought QBs would like like that? That is, when thinking back to the wishbone days.

What do you think Kendal Thompson's future looks like? Battling for starting QB? Switch to WR? Wildcat QB?

That is one big QB!

Move over "Little", formerly "Big", Ben.

Jacie
10/30/2011, 10:45 AM
Jack Mildren

BigTip
10/30/2011, 10:53 AM
Jack Mildren

Bell is bigger than Big Ben Roethlisberger by one inch and five pounds

cleller
10/31/2011, 07:21 AM
Bell is bigger than Big Ben Roethlisberger by one inch and five pounds

I want to see Bell knock down some people. If he gets past the D-line, he'll be bigger than the rest of the defense.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/31/2011, 09:38 AM
Hell yes!! I don't want to hear about knee injuries. It's ok for running backs and receivers to have the ball. Dont they have the same risk? Let's get a qb that will step it up and run with it. Not knocking Landry at all. But a qb that would run would be nice to see.

We tend to lose at least 1 RB and 1 WR per year. Would you like to add a QB to that list?

The biggest issue is that QBs tend to not know how to take a hit when they are running with the ball (especially avoiding head shots). That is why I'd prefer a deceptive runner at QB than someone who is big and strong. JW juked multiple horn defenders out of their jocks and rarely took hits. That (sans the glass knees) is what you should be looking for.

SoonerPride
10/31/2011, 10:14 AM
If you have two QBs you have none.

Didn't we see that sentiment over and over when we played texas?

I think it reeks of desperation.

Our red zone woes have been execution. Dropped passes and missed blocks. Not that Landry doesn't run it. Sorry. Not a fan of this new "wrinkle."

NormanPride
10/31/2011, 10:21 AM
Grumble grumble grumble! Get off my lawn you kids!

Sooners78
10/31/2011, 10:22 AM
This offense requires a premium arm...legs are secondary....very few runners meet the needed arm criteria...

Agreed, but Bell seems to meet both criteria. Maybe we've found our Tebow who can actually throw.

NormanPride
10/31/2011, 10:26 AM
We will never have that kind of offense, I don't think. Teams have limited practice time, so what do you work on with the QB? Reading coverage or defensive line reads? The more time you spend on reading the option stuff the less you have with reading the more complex coverages.

What we need Bell to do is to work on his accuracy. He's got the arm strength to make the throws, but I saw him take a TON off an out route so that he had to sail it a bit to get it there. I imagine that's because he's not confident with his accuracy at full strength.

C&CDean
10/31/2011, 10:29 AM
Our red zone woes have been execution. Dropped passes and missed blocks. Not that Landry doesn't run it. Sorry. Not a fan of this new "wrinkle."

Wha? **** that noise. Everybody knows it's Venables' fault we don't score in the red zone. Just watch any game day thread.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 11:48 AM

Tell this to Florida circa 2006...

JiminyChristmas
10/31/2011, 12:24 PM

This is not that kind of QB deal. This is just a situational package deal. I hope it keeps progressing.

freshchris05
10/31/2011, 01:50 PM
Everyone saw that touchdown right? Damn. WE.. SCORED.... A TOUUUUCH DOWN... In the redzone. This gives Bell experience and the defense something else to think about. It's not like they're splitting ****ing snaps.

SoonerPride
10/31/2011, 01:56 PM
Everyone saw that touchdown right? Damn. WE.. SCORED.... A TOUUUUCH DOWN... In the redzone. This gives Bell experience and the defense something else to think about. It's not like they're splitting ****ing snaps.

I also saw a fumble.
And a personnel mix-up.

Ou red zone production problems have been EXECUTION.

And the EXECUTION of our Plan B offense isn't exactly stellar.

Sorry.

You dance with who brung ya. Execute better in the red zone. Don't toss in some gimmicky package with the third team QB.

jumperstop
10/31/2011, 02:00 PM
I also saw a fumble.
And a personnel mix-up.

Ou red zone production problems have been EXECUTION.

And the EXECUTION of our Plan B offense isn't exactly stellar.

Sorry.

You dance with who brung ya. Execute better in the red zone. Don't toss in some gimmicky package with the third team QB.

Didn't work the first time....seemed to work well after that. They got a touchdown the second time and another first down the third time they ran it. Again, call it what you want but it's something else the opposing defenses have to think about. This is the same type of thing Florida did with leak and Tebow and it worked great for them. They put Tebow in a few times a game to keep the defense guessing. I don't see why you wouldn't like this. The only reason is because it seems 'gimicky'. What do you want them to do run the same damn play everytime. Was the diamond formation last year against osu too gimicky for you? Seemed to work out well for that team...

PalmBeachSooner
10/31/2011, 02:04 PM
Blake Bell is Tebow-esque.

EatLeadCommie
10/31/2011, 02:06 PM
We will never have that kind of offense, I don't think. Teams have limited practice time, so what do you work on with the QB? Reading coverage or defensive line reads? The more time you spend on reading the option stuff the less you have with reading the more complex coverages.

What we need Bell to do is to work on his accuracy. He's got the arm strength to make the throws, but I saw him take a TON off an out route so that he had to sail it a bit to get it there. I imagine that's because he's not confident with his accuracy at full strength.
I thought that was Drew Allen? Drew has not impressed much in limited action this year. He's had 2 passes out in the flat that were nearly pick sixes, and a quick slant that he threw behind the receiver by about 5 yards.

EatLeadCommie
10/31/2011, 02:07 PM
Blake Bell is Tebow-esque.
Blasphemy!

oudivesherpa
10/31/2011, 07:48 PM
We don't need a running QB, we need a QB that can run. For all you Aggie lukers out
There I,ll draw you a picture.

ashley
10/31/2011, 07:54 PM
We are a straight drop team. We recruit 6'4 or 5 guys. Not many of this type are real good runners. Plus, the coaches want to protect the starter.

winout
12/3/2011, 11:24 PM
Seems like we should use the qb that can run and pass, don't you?

GottaHavePride
12/4/2011, 01:05 AM
Sure. Go find us one. So far Bell's passes have gone to the other team, not our guys.

Johnny Utah
12/4/2011, 09:51 AM
... is going to be what it takes to play for it all in college football these days, imo.

SoonerMom2
12/4/2011, 11:07 AM
If you were at the Red and White game, you saw Bell air it out as he played for both Red and White teams in the 2nd half. He has an arm and can run -- looking forward to seeing him start next year.

LiveLaughLove
12/4/2011, 11:23 AM
Bell has a lot of maturing in his passing game to do to even be adequate as a passer in an actual game.

LJ runs like he is in mud covered cement layered quicksand. I went back and watched his HS videos and he appeared to run quite well. All I can say is New Mexico players must be freaking grandma slow, cause he actually looked fast.

If you want a running type QB you are giving up some passing ability and the chance he will get hurt. Cam Newtons are VERY rare.

I wish LJ could run 2 yards when needed and be able to actually scramble effectively but he cant. I dont want to give up the passing ability for the running. Thats what RBs are for.