PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Landry Jones

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2011, 06:10 PM
Huge passing day, made some good throws, trusted his line and set records...Even the throw that Reynolds had to tip to himself was in a great spot really because any lower and it's a pick. The pass that Stills caught downfield was one of the best throws I've seen him make

SoonerofAlabama
10/29/2011, 06:12 PM
All-time touchdown leader at OU. Also set the passing record for a game.

delhalew
10/29/2011, 06:13 PM
Some great passes today.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2011, 06:13 PM
Definitely not off today - and I'm sure it wasn't easy with that wind.

Blue
10/29/2011, 06:14 PM
But....he sucks

Way to go LJ!

8timechamps
10/29/2011, 06:15 PM
The last TD pass to Jaz was about as solid as a QB can be. The line gave him time, but when the edges broke down, he stepped up and threw a dart. It's weird, because I thought he was still a little off in the first half, but that's because I'm dumb I guess. Great day by Landry!

CowboyMRW
10/29/2011, 06:16 PM
Congrats to your quarterback on his outstanding day

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2011, 06:17 PM
I noticed also they gave him some more screens to get in rhythm and he didn't panic in the pocket....stood tall just stepped forward and made throws..

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2011, 06:19 PM
I thought he was just having a little trouble judging the wind in the 2nd. Many QBs complain it's harder to judge a tailwind than a headwind when it's strong. That 2nd pick was definitely that case since it was so under-throw. But he came back with a great 3rd qtr with the wind at his back.

salth2o
10/29/2011, 06:21 PM
It's all Whitney's fault. :rolleyes:

Congrats to Landry. He is ahead of some really great players.

AlbqSooner
10/29/2011, 06:21 PM
All of the naysayers from last week, about both Landry and this team, need to understand. Ya get on the bandwagon in August and ya hang on for the ride. If ya don't plan on hangin on till the end, don't get on.

That is to say - You must be a Sooner fan this tall to ride this ride!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2011, 06:22 PM
I dunno..I can't say anything negative about what he did today..I didn't even mind the INTs because he throwing the ball when he felt like he had it...last week, he had some matchup advantages and ran from the pocket or tucked the ball when he didn't have to...

Just made some great plays in key situations.

8timechamps
10/29/2011, 06:22 PM
I thought he was just having a little trouble judging the wind in the 2nd. Many QBs complain it's harder to judge a tailwind than a headwind when it's strong. That 2nd pick was definitely that case since it was so under-throw. But he came back with a great 3rd qtr with the wind at his back.

I think the wind had a part in both picks he threw. In the first half, I thought he was a little behind on some throws, but he sure settled in and played great. I think the wind was a lot stronger than the TV viewers realized early in the game.

AlbqSooner
10/29/2011, 06:23 PM

Generally, when the wind is at your back, it is considered a tailwind.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2011, 06:26 PM
Generally, when the wind is at your back, it is considered a tailwind.

Yes, that's what I meant - he struggled with it in the 2nd, but did great with it in the 3rd. As in, he made the adjustment.

hawaii 5-0
10/29/2011, 06:29 PM
Yes, that's what I meant - he struggled with it in the 2nd, but did great with it in the 3rd. As in, he made the adjustment.

I thought OU had the tailwind in the 2nd and 3rd quarters? Regardless, he played better.

5-0

Iam4OUru
10/29/2011, 06:37 PM
All of the naysayers from last week, about both Landry and this team, need to understand. Ya get on the bandwagon in August and ya hang on for the ride. If ya don't plan on hangin on till the end, don't get on.That is to say - You must be a Sooner fan this tall to ride this ride!

After last week...this needed to be said and I agree 100%. We sure seem to have alot of fair weather fans here.

Ground_Attack
10/29/2011, 06:37 PM
Broyles apparently became the all time leader in receiving yardage in the Big XII today (per ESPN story).

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2011, 06:39 PM
Let me say I have no problems with someone thinking a player didn't play well and expressing it just as long as you can recognize when they do..For the most part, I have no problem with anyone's reactions last week..The exception being the guys who made personal attacks..

OU GENO
10/29/2011, 06:51 PM
The offense put up points same as last week but it's the defense that stepped up. Offense has to score and defense has to stop the other team as they say defense wins championship!

3rdgensooner
10/29/2011, 06:53 PM
Game Notes - OU v. KSU (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/102911aaa.html)

•Jones finished with 505 yards passing, a school record and record by an opposing player at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. It surpassed the record held by Jones (468 versus Oklahoma State in 2010) and Sam Bradford (468 versus Kansas in 2008). It marked the fourth time this season and eighth in his career that he surpassed 400 yards passing, both marks are OU records.

• With five passing touchdowns today, Landry Jones has 90 in his career and broke Sam Bradford's (2007-09) school record of 88. Jones already owned the school marks for passing yards and completions in a career.

• Ryan Broyles broke the Big 12 record for career receiving yards with 171 yards today, passing the previous record of 4,414 yards set by Oklahoma State's Rashaun Woods (2000-03). Broyles has 4,499 yards in his career and he had previously set the Big 12 career records for receptions and receiving touchdowns along with his NCAA career receptions record. The total ranks third all-time in the FBS history behind Wyoming's Marcus Harris with 4,518 yards (1993-96) and the 5,005 yards by Nevada'sTrevor Insley (1996-99).

picasso
10/29/2011, 07:25 PM
Broyles broke that Woods record without pushing off.

Ground_Attack
10/29/2011, 08:15 PM
The offense put up points same as last week but it's the defense that stepped up. Offense has to score and defense has to stop the other team as they say defense wins championship!

the offense scored 38 points at home to TECH (who had a nearly dead last pass defense). Granted it should be enough to win but it shouldn't be compared to today's ***-whoopin' against a top 10 team (on the road).

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2011, 08:17 PM
Where's the love for Josh?

He made it possible for Landry to calm the [censored] down. And called a MASTERFUL game. Case in point, 1st Quarter (if I remember correctly). Cover 2 over, 10 yard pad with the SS over the top of the slot. Twins right, double posts, but Broyles hits the Post-and-Up, completely stripping the safety and leaving the CB on X with 2-3 steps to make up on the under post. Primary was the under, high percentage, snap, check, pop. Big gainer and an easy throw and catch by Jones.

That sh*t doesn't happen on accident. Half of what makes Landry look good is the package and beautiful execution on the part of his WR corps, even in the little things. Takes a lot of the thinking out of it. Just snap, check, pop.

StoopTroup
10/29/2011, 08:37 PM
Let me say I have no problems with someone thinking a player didn't play well and expressing it just as long as you can recognize when they do..For the most part, I have no problem with anyone's reactions last week..The exception being the guys who made personal attacks..

I kind of get tired of the folks that throw out "This kid sucks" or "He's not as good as some player that graduated......blah blah blah." These are all great quotes for Post-Season Threads for folks who are bored and just want to argue about the different shades of neutral.

If you don't like the way one of these players played fine, but start talking about what play you are talking about. There are DVRs and Posted YouTube Replays by plenty of folks who have the ability to cut and paste and edit.

Even the whole....."he really had a bad 1st half is getting old"

This is a Team game. QBs are always gonna get the blame but when a receiver drops a pass or doesn't make an effort it's always the QB Sucked. I do not believe that. Everybody makes mistakes. You can really see it more in person than on TV too. When a QB throws a pass to a guy and Brent Mushblerber says "He over threw that one!" and you later go Home and see Stoops chewing a WRs *** as he comes off the field....

I'm done.

If you can't figure out what I'm saying from the above....there is no reason to continue.....It's never helped to argue with the mentally challenged and STEP.....you know I ain't talking about you baby.

Nice thread

OU GENO
10/29/2011, 09:09 PM
StoopTroup you are right I may praise a player but will not say anything bad about a certain player. I will say that the offense or defense did not play well. They both played very well today!

yankee
10/29/2011, 09:33 PM
I don't know exactly when in the game it was, but LJ made a throw to Broyles over the middle of the field. Over the LB, ahead of the CB, and in front of the S. Everyone in the house just looked at each other and said "woah."

OUNASH
10/29/2011, 10:01 PM
Great game by Landry. He made some great throws today. Getting into Broyles with 4 guys on him is incredible. Great Job.

btb916
10/29/2011, 10:17 PM
500+ yards is impressive for an entire offense, much less one dude...congrats to Landry.

SunnySooner
10/29/2011, 10:20 PM
Yep, he had a couple bonehead moments, but overall, just a great game. That one throw to Broyles, I'll have to look it up, I think triple, maybe quadruple coverage--the window for that throw was smaller than the one over my sink in our old North Shore Oahu apt. Teensy, tiny, itty,bitty,window, it was a precision, surgical strike, beauteous. He didn't lose it when we got behind, spread the ball to a bunch of receivers, and wow 505 frickin yards!!!! 505 people!!!!! A-ma-zing. Great job, LJ, thanks for all you do for us!!!!!! Loved watching them all play tonight.

Redshirt
10/29/2011, 10:41 PM
Give it up Whitney!

3rdgensooner
10/29/2011, 10:50 PM
The 690 total yards today were the most by the Sooners since the 1978 OSU game when OU got 692. @Kenny_Mossman

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2011, 10:54 PM
OU actually did run a lot more spread offense with 4 WRs split out today than they have been and like I posted earlier, a few bubbles to get Landry in a flow...Like fireman said, they did a great job of attacking where people have picked our defense apart..over the middle of the field..

MyT Oklahoma
10/29/2011, 10:54 PM
Congratulations Landry on both of those records (TD's and yards).

soonerman4life
10/30/2011, 01:54 AM
Landry had a great game today but let's also not forget the great protection he got from the O-line. When you give LJ that much time, he'll generally pick a team apart with lethal accuracy. Over-all a great team effort over a very good Kstate team.

Vegas Sooner
10/30/2011, 05:54 AM
...waiting for the fatties at OSU to call the sports animal and act like they hate him.