PDA

View Full Version : Wonder how Boren feels now

Sooner Cal
10/28/2011, 02:52 PM
I think Boren is out of his comfort level dealing with the conference and Joe C. obviously isn't up to the challenge either.

Boren made what appeared to be a bold and confident statement about demanding conference stability. He said we had options and we would act in our interest. Well, we don't have stability. His choice for Interim Commissioner doesn't keep him informed of conference plans for a Big XII network. Joe C. claims he's is also out of the loop. Missouri has until next September to decide whether to stay or leave. We didn't want to travel to the west coast for all sports, but now may have to travel to West Virginia. West friggin' Virginia isn't a popular destination and the cost to get there can't be much less. We're also talking with BYU and perhaps Boise, hardly next door either. Now we have politicians getting involved, the definition of instability.

I don't believe Boren. He mislead us because we aren't demanding conference stability. We aren't demanding that the interim commissioner have transparency. We will be traveling across country so travel costs will increase.

Boren won't address the reality that the Big XII can't go to 12 teams without disrupting the RRS or Bedlam. Any additions of teams to the north won't replace NU or Mizzou. With those teams we had a semblance of balance (though in reality not much) between the north and south divisions. Now the power is clearly in the south and adding WVU, Louisville, BYU and/or Boise to the north wont change that. OU and UT have to be split and that will not happen.

So we are stuck with 10 unless the tv contract negotiations for a change and that's a few years away. So instability will persist. Boren needs to admit it and we never should have agreed to the rights forfeiture. IMHO, Boren listened to the calls fro old farts who love traveling to Manhattan Ks., Lawrence, and Ames. Trying to make them happy instead of dealing with the reality of a changing world and the consequences of holding on to the old was a strategic blunder.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 02:59 PM
I think he did about as good as he could have done. What's your plan for conference realignment again? Go to the Pac....oh wait they didn't want us... Go to the SEC....oh wait they cheat and we would only be going to the CCG every few years, is that what you really want? We'll have the second best conference even though it took a lot of drama to get to this point. This isn't going to change for a couple years so you better get used to the new conference we're in.

badger
10/28/2011, 03:00 PM
I think Boren's goals are to milk donors for more money, not have the athletic side do anything but promote the image of the university in a positive way... more money... and finally, better academics.

Donors are still donating craploads of money even though we're not in the SEC or Pac 12.

There have been no Big Red Sports incidents recently and the Capel crap/Sampson calls are in our rear view mirror.

Tuition and fees rise and nobody bats an eye anymore (except for students, heh)

Boren is still focused on AAU status.

Partial Qualifier
10/28/2011, 03:19 PM
I think this is not something Boren (or anyone else) has ever had to deal with, it's fluid from every angle and the fact nobody's on the same page makes for some embarrassing press releases & press conferences.

Regardless of everything else, we're faced with the 2nd-worst-case scenario: patching together the Big 12 conference with band-aids & paper clips. Yes, it's a complete shambles. THe fact that we'd even CONSIDER inviting Boise & WVU speaks for itself: a shambles.

The 1st-worst-case scenario is a total dissolution of the conference. But even that would have a better ending for the fans: us taking that last spot in the SEC.

Partial Qualifier
10/28/2011, 03:29 PM
But at least now we have some insight why a FBS tournament would take years & years to materialize

BTW - thread starter is spot on. Nice post.

PDXsooner
10/28/2011, 03:40 PM
Maybe "in our best interests" was to continue having as ***-kicking football team. Yeah, the conference might be weaker and there might be less money but

a) OU doesn't have to worry about money and

b) OU still kicks *** in football

Partial Qualifier
10/28/2011, 03:59 PM
^ wouldn't you agree that neither of those would've changed had we gone to another conference, in fact a good case could be made for gaining strength in either aspect?

delhalew
10/28/2011, 04:01 PM
Bitch bitch bitch.

cleller
10/28/2011, 05:51 PM
Can't imagine who I'd rather have manning the helm in this storm other than Boren and Joe C.

Sooner_Tuf
10/28/2011, 08:47 PM
Wonder how Boren feels now

I would imagine he feels fine. Any reason he shouldn't?

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 09:18 PM

Must have caught it from Whaley

8timechamps
10/28/2011, 09:32 PM
Boren won't address the reality that the Big XII can't go to 12 teams without disrupting the RRS or Bedlam. Any additions of teams to the north won't replace NU or Mizzou. With those teams we had a semblance of balance (though in reality not much) between the north and south divisions. Now the power is clearly in the south and adding WVU, Louisville, BYU and/or Boise to the north wont change that. OU and UT have to be split and that will not happen.

I think that's a misconception, perpetrated by the media. The Big Ten found a way to make room for Michigan/Ohio State to play every year even though they aren't in the same division.

As has been the case with all of this realignment business, none of us really know what's happening. We know what the media tells us, and what we "think" may be happening. Otherwise, it's all speculation.

arcman46
10/28/2011, 09:50 PM
I think that's a misconception, perpetrated by the media. The Big Ten found a way to make room for Michigan/Ohio State to play every year even though they aren't in the same division.

As has been the case with all of this realignment business, none of us really know what's happening. We know what the media tells us, and what we "think" may be happening. Otherwise, it's all speculation.

One of the problems with the "old" Big 12 was that there was not a way to keep the OU-Nebraska rivalry going. OU-Texas is one of the biggest rivalries in college football if not the biggest. It would be a shame to lose it.

BASSooner
10/28/2011, 10:39 PM
stomach cramp perhaps. may've eaten a bean burrito too fast.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 10:50 PM
One of the problems with the "old" Big 12 was that there was not a way to keep the OU-Nebraska rivalry going. OU-Texas is one of the biggest rivalries in college football if not the biggest. It would be a shame to lose it.
They'd work out a way to keep all our rivalries if they ever decided to expand. We've stuck with Texas up to this point, I think they've made it pretty clear they are wanting to keep the RRS

StoopTroup
10/28/2011, 11:06 PM
The stuff going on is all on the NCAA. They act all tough on kids when they screw up and then sometimes take time that nobody understands to make decisions about School Penalties and then when Conferences and Teams start doing stuff that's bad for the entire 120 Schools....they act like they have no power to put a stop to it. IMHO....it's all on them. As much as I'd like to blame it all on fexas or TAMU or NU or CU for just moving their program closer to States that have better Weed Laws....I can only put it on the NCAA.

What's going on in College Football makes the BCS look like it's run by folks at the Hadron Collider in Europe.

StoopTroup
10/28/2011, 11:12 PM
Also....Boren is a Religious Man. He might feel bad about things but he's the kind of guy that always tries to make a decision that's best for everyone and that includes OU and everyone involved with our School and State. Thing is....he puts it in God's Hands at some point so once deals are done....I really doubt he's gonna have an ulcer about it. He's the kind of guy that realizes change is going to happen and even though things are changing now.....it doesn't mean things aren't going to change later. If things don't workout....more change will happen. Once the SEC and PAC 26 or whoever do to change their Conference also has affects. Schools there could be begging to leave and come to our Conference by next year. You just never know how things are going to be....

8timechamps
10/28/2011, 11:15 PM
They'd work out a way to keep all our rivalries if they ever decided to expand. We've stuck with Texas up to this point, I think they've made it pretty clear they are wanting to keep the RRS

Exactly. If I remember correctly, it was OU that didn't pursue the OU/NU annual game (one of the reason their fans cite for leaving the Big XII). Honestly, the OU/NU game was a great game, but not on the level of OU/TX.

I don't think the RRR has anything to do with expanding...I'm sure it's in the discussion, but not a deciding factor.

StoopTroup
10/28/2011, 11:23 PM
Exactly. If I remember correctly, it was OU that didn't pursue the OU/NU annual game (one of the reason their fans cite for leaving the Big XII). Honestly, the OU/NU game was a great game, but not on the level of OU/TX.

I don't think the RRR has anything to do with expanding...I'm sure it's in the discussion, but not a deciding factor.

--------------------------------------------

Also....having a Non Com every year with an organization like fexas would more than likely just make our stock as a contender really solid when they tally up Strength of Schedule points compared to other teams. I know folks hate Notre Dame but they are a perfect example of good Scheduling. They have fans that don't bail when they lose. When fans are educated....they know that tough Schedules can really break you....but if you win them....especially like we have been doing early in the Season.....you are going to be ranked high and be considered a contender if other teams are 1 or 2 loss teams at years end. Even though it sucked to lose last week....you just never know what can happen in Football. It looks dark just before the dawn sometimes.

Sooner Cal
10/28/2011, 11:42 PM
Guys, it's obvious that the conference is still unstable. Yes, Boren would do what he thinks is best for everyone. My point is that Boren claimed he wanted stability. He still doesn't have it. He claimed he was unhappy with the conference commissioner so he had him replaced and he now hs one who doesn't keep us informed. Sounds like he should be disappointed.

The problem with splitting OU and UT while still keeping the RRS is that often we would have a rematch in the championship game. That would devalue the RRS and screw both teams in the BCS. Michigan and Ohio State play late in the year. Wait until they play 2 weeks in a row some year and the bellyaching from the winner of the first game will be loud.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 11:53 PM
Guys, it's obvious that the conference is still unstable. Yes, Boren would do what he thinks is best for everyone. My point is that Boren claimed he wanted stability. He still doesn't have it. He claimed he was unhappy with the conference commissioner so he had him replaced and he now hs one who doesn't keep us informed. Sounds like he should be disappointed.

The problem with splitting OU and UT while still keeping the RRS is that often we would have a rematch in the championship game. That would devalue the RRS and screw both teams in the BCS. Michigan and Ohio State play late in the year. Wait until they play 2 weeks in a row some year and the bellyaching from the winner of the first game will be loud.

How's it unstable after Mizzou leaves? I think everyone else wants to get along...

Sooner_Tuf
10/29/2011, 12:55 AM

Not even God gets what he wants all of the time. That is reserved for nasty tempered, young, beautiful gold diggers. But even they lose that ability with age.

soonercoop1
10/29/2011, 07:52 AM
How's it unstable after Mizzou leaves? I think everyone else wants to get along...

The conference is unstable as long as Texass is in it...

soonercoop1
10/29/2011, 07:53 AM

Whats sad is the OU-Neb rivalry was bigger when it was still played every season...

soonercoop1
10/29/2011, 07:56 AM
All the spin in the world won't change the perception of this conference without Neb, Colo, A&M, and Mizz....all that spin won't change the fact the Boren allowed Texass to run them off...

Lott's Bandana
10/29/2011, 09:46 AM
Over 3000 posts in the other thread about this kerfuffle.

It's been awhile since someone started another.

stoopified
10/29/2011, 11:47 AM
I think Boren's goals are to milk donors for more money, not have the athletic side do anything but promote the image of the university in a positive way... more money... and finally, better academics.

So basically he is just doing his job?

picasso
10/29/2011, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna guess lumpy and soft.

FirstandGoal
10/29/2011, 11:41 PM
I'm just happy that I got to see the word kerfuffle in this thread.