PDA

View Full Version : What needs to happen...

IronHorseSooner
10/28/2011, 08:12 AM
As per my policy of not listening to nor reading anything sports-related for five days after a loss, here's what needs to happen for us to get back to NO:

We have eight teams ahead of us, but we need pass only seven. Here's how that happens:

1. You have control over three teams ahead due to H2H and increase in schedule strength (KSU, OSU, BSU). (Down to four)
2. The LSU-'Bama loser will not get in. Despite what the SEC homers have stated, there won't be a rematch, the rest of the nation WON'T let that happen. (Down to three)
3. If Oregon beats Stanford, that eliminates both of them. Why? This is because voters will not put Oregon above LSU due to H2H, nor will they vote for a rematch. Sorry, Ducks, you had your shot. (Down to one)
4. If there is three definites in life, they are death, taxes, and Clemson throwing up on themselves when they experience success. They still have Ga Tech, @ Cocky, and the ACC Title Game. (Down to zero)

* Even if Stanford beats Oregon, they still have SUC, ND, and ASU (Pac-12 Title). They are Wisky-west; have not been tested on the road, nor against a team with the athletes to beat them.

** Finally, the Big XII is the #1 BCS-rated conference in the computers. This will put us in over a fellow 1-loss Pac-12, B1G, and/or ACC team, and an undefeated BSU.

Just for fun, here are Stanford's and Clemson closing stretches:

The Trees: @ SUC, Cal, ND, Pac-12 Title Game
Tiggers: @ Ga Tech, Wake, @ Cocky, ACC Title Game

If SUC and Ga Tech play like they can, they could be out this week as well.

Have faith my fellow Sooner brethren!!!

crackback
10/28/2011, 08:27 AM
We'll make it if we win out per past data.

<2 losses on the year: 4-0 making championship game

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2011, 09:49 AM
Implied but not stated:
-Play consistently up to capability
-Stop with the sickness/injury crap

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 09:54 AM
KSU and OSU will be tough, especially if we play the way we did last week. Bump this thread after next week if we win...If we can't dominate KSU then we have no chance of beating LSU or Bama

IronHorseSooner
10/28/2011, 01:25 PM
KSU and OSU will be tough, especially if we play the way we did last week. Bump this thread after next week if we win...If we can't dominate KSU then we have no chance of beating LSU or Bama

Of course, playing LIKE WE CAN is an implied, but we will get in over any other 1-loss or BSU based on SOS and/or H2H.

Vegas Sooner
10/28/2011, 01:32 PM
...just win and hope everybody loses!

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 01:35 PM
Of course, playing LIKE WE CAN is an implied, but we will get in over any other 1-loss or BSU based on SOS and/or H2H.

Agree, not concerned about BSU. How many years have they been almost going to the BCSNCG just to get jumped by another team. And I'm not too sure about the SEC rematch, but yes more undefeateds are going ot have to lose.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/28/2011, 01:38 PM
As per my policy of not listening to nor reading anything sports-related for five days after a loss, here's what needs to happen for us to get back to NO:

We have eight teams ahead of us, but we need pass only seven. Here's how that happens:

1. A

2. miracle.

Have faith my fellow Sooner brethren!!!

FIFY

htownsooner7
10/28/2011, 01:49 PM
I like the thought but don't agree with a few major points. I do think the BCS rankings will have a rematch of Bama LSU before OU gets a crack. I also am concerned if Oregon wins out and Bama wins out then we don't make it. What I think we have to be rooting for is for the winner of the Bama LSU game to lose to UGA in the SEC championship game and that Stanford loses to USC or Notre Dame but beats Oregon.

yermom
10/28/2011, 01:53 PM

this is my thought as well

still no picnic to get to that point though

Plexis22
10/28/2011, 10:46 PM
The biggest "if" of all is OU going undefeated down the stretch. After what I witnessed last Saturday in NORMAN I don't see it happening. This team is overrated.

yermom
10/28/2011, 11:11 PM
having 21, 32 and 8 back would certainly help

VA Sooner
10/29/2011, 07:13 AM
I'm good with the plan. Let's take care of business every week and see how it unfolds.

TahoeSOONER
10/29/2011, 08:45 AM
We need help but I don't know if a undefeated Boise team would get the nod even if lot's of teams fold.

It starts today with what we can take care of and the road is no cake walk.

kevpks
10/29/2011, 09:03 AM
Recipe for a perfect day: OU blowout win, Clemson loss, Stanford loss, OSU loss (I know it would be nice to beat an undefeated OSU but screw those guys).

cccasooner2
10/29/2011, 09:44 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/page/College-football-Fearless-Predictions-Week-9-102811?gt1=39002

"Even after the loss to Texas Tech, OU is still knee-deep in the national title hunt and will almost certainly be the top-ranked among the one-loss teams if it wins out. While it'll take losses by Clemson and Stanford for OU to have a real shot at getting into the BCS Championship, if the Sooners take care of business with wins over an unbeaten Kansas State, Texas A&M, and an unbeaten Oklahoma State, they'll be right on the doorstep."

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2011, 11:07 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/page/College-football-Fearless-Predictions-Week-9-102811?gt1=39002

"Even after the loss to Texas Tech, OU is still knee-deep in the national title hunt and will almost certainly be the top-ranked among the one-loss teams if it wins out. While it'll take losses by Clemson and Stanford for OU to have a real shot at getting into the BCS Championship, if the Sooners take care of business with wins over an unbeaten Kansas State, Texas A&M, and an unbeaten Oklahoma State, they'll be right on the doorstep."

There's always a catch...

IronHorseSooner
10/29/2011, 06:47 PM
Why in the world was McDonough saying that we were out or long shots? It really is simple- Clemson and Stanford lose, we control our own destiny. We will stay ahead of Oregon, and BSU doesn't have the juice to stay ahead. We will jump KSTATE and Oregon, at least, this week. In 2008, FLA was about here when they started their climb.

SunnySooner
10/29/2011, 07:10 PM
Go Tech!! Not the Taco variety!!!

jumperstop
10/29/2011, 07:18 PM
That's if Stanford loses...

sooner KB
10/29/2011, 07:43 PM
How many of these threads will we have? What's the over/under on this? Can we have a sticky or just have these threads deleted? This is getting ridiculous.

MI Sooner
10/29/2011, 08:22 PM
We need to root for LSU, In my opinion. First, I think they'll have the batter computer ranking. Second, it's much easier to push for a rematch if the road team lost, since they didn't get a "fair" chance. Worst case is an epic, compelling game won by Bama due to controversy.

Also, keep winning, FSU and Tulsa. 9-3 Fsu is big, especially if they handle Florida. Tulsa winning will probably only help in comps, and not national perception, unless they win CUSA. All of this assumes Stanford and Clemson lose.

sooner KB
10/29/2011, 09:19 PM
We need...

We need a national championship caliber team.

Fixed that for you.

Sabanball
10/29/2011, 10:08 PM
Looks like Clemson and Stanford are going down. You guys could be back in the top 5 tomorrow...

Sabanball
10/29/2011, 10:12 PM
We need to root for LSU, In my opinion. First, I think they'll have the batter computer ranking. Second, it's much easier to push for a rematch if the road team lost, since they didn't get a "fair" chance. Worst case is an epic, compelling game won by Bama due to controversy.

Also, keep winning, FSU and Tulsa. 9-3 Fsu is big, especially if they handle Florida. Tulsa winning will probably only help in comps, and not national perception, unless they win CUSA. All of this assumes Stanford and Clemson lose.

As long as you guys win out, there will be no LSU/Bama rematch in the the BCSCG.

BTW, Iowa St's thrashing of Texas Tech is not helping you guys.

IronHorseSooner
11/3/2011, 02:58 PM
Important games this Saturday:

A&M @ OU
LSU @ 'Bama
Tech @ *
NW @ Neb
Stanford @ Oregon State
Cocky @ Arky
K-State @ OSU
Oregon @ U-Dub

jumperstop
11/3/2011, 03:27 PM
My thoughts...

Important games this Saturday: (What needs to happen...)
A&M @ OU (OU win of course)
LSU @ 'Bama (Have one stomp the other leaving no doubt that one is clearly better than the other, some say that LSU would be better for our chances but I don't think anyone can really tell at this point just how the computers and pollsters will react. Just make sure it's not close)
Tech @ * (Don't think this matters too much...As long as Tech doesn't beat the **** out of Saxet I don't think the voters will base much on this game and I think it'll be a wash in the computers regardless of the outcome.)
NW @ Neb (Not jumping us so I don't care about think except to maybe see the traitors lose...)
Stanford @ Oregon State (Stanford must lose...duh)
Cocky @ Arky (Arkansas is the team sneaking up that nobody is talking about. If they beat an unbeaten/one loss LSU I think they have a chance to sneak back into the discussion because of their conference and who their loss would be to. Possibly creating a 3 way tie for the west and although a long shot because I think they would have to be ranked above lsu and bama, [same tie breaker rules as Big 12 I believe] they could back their way into a SEC title or NC title game quite easy)
K-State @ OSU (Again I don't think it matters too much and would like to see OSU win out so we can crush their title hopes and steal them all in the same game....But I do think if KSU could manage to upset OSU that would legitamize our butt stomping of them last week and maybe help us in the eyes of the human poles in a week dominated by Bama-LSU)
Oregon @ U-Dub (Need the quackers to lose as many as possible....And I think they have a possibility of looking past this game with Stanford on the horizon.)

IronHorseSooner
11/3/2011, 03:48 PM
I sure hope that 2011 Stanford doesn't = 2002 tOSU: Team that moonwalks their way into the Title Game because everybody else worth a darn is beating the heck out of each other. I may need to bathe after writing this, but I hope Oregon monkey stomps them. BTW, Oregon will not finish ahead of us for a few reasons (SOS, LSU factor, us beating (hopefully) the #2 team in the country on the road). As a matter of fact, even though the game is on The Farm, I pick Oregon by two TDs. They are just too fast and experienced in big games, even with OMG Andrew Luck and his NBA-sized TEs.

jumperstop
11/3/2011, 03:54 PM
I sure hope that 2011 Stanford doesn't = 2002 tOSU: Team that moonwalks their way into the Title Game because everybody else worth a darn is beating the heck out of each other. I may need to bathe after writing this, but I hope Oregon monkey stomps them. BTW, Oregon will not finish ahead of us for a few reasons (SOS, LSU factor, us beating (hopefully) the #2 team in the country on the road). As a matter of fact, even though the game is on The Farm, I pick Oregon by two TDs. They are just too fast and experienced in big games, even with OMG Andrew Luck and his NBA-sized TEs. I'm less concerned about BSU and Oregon, than I am about Bama, LSU, or Arky. Our SOS is so much better than the Pac 12 and whatever conference Boise is in.....I think the computers will put either SEC or Big 12 teams in the championship game. The only thing standing in the way is Stanford. I just have a feeling that things will work out to get us back into the NC hunt. It's just a gut feeling, and I'm normally a pessimist.

IronHorseSooner
11/3/2011, 04:06 PM
I'm less concerned about BSU and Oregon, than I am about Bama, LSU, or Arky. Our SOS is so much better than the Pac 12 and whatever conference Boise is in.....I think the computers will put either SEC or Big 12 teams in the championship game. The only thing standing in the way is Stanford. I just have a feeling that things will work out to get us back into the NC hunt. It's just a gut feeling, and I'm normally a pessimist.

My take as well JS. SUC is no where near as good as Oregon, and they should have pulled that one off. I am not as sure about what the tie-breakers would be for the SEC, but I believe that they take the highest two ranked teams in the BCS and do H2H. If that is the case, I bet Arky gets into the Title Game. There won't be an SEC rematch in the MNC because too many coaches and others in the sport are tired of the SEC drivel, and want to see if someone can beat them. We could end up like FLA 2008 where we get in by playing an undefeated team on the road/neutral at the end of the year and getting into the MNC.

jumperstop
11/3/2011, 05:48 PM
My take as well JS. SUC is no where near as good as Oregon, and they should have pulled that one off. I am not as sure about what the tie-breakers would be for the SEC, but I believe that they take the highest two ranked teams in the BCS and do H2H. If that is the case, I bet Arky gets into the Title Game. There won't be an SEC rematch in the MNC because too many coaches and others in the sport are tired of the SEC drivel, and want to see if someone can beat them. We could end up like FLA 2008 where we get in by playing an undefeated team on the road/neutral at the end of the year and getting into the MNC. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm foreseeing. "It's like I dreamed it in my head!"...thought I would throw in a 08 reference....That may have been the last relevant thing Crabtree has done/said....

I will say this, although I would rather us control our own destiny. It certainly makes watching the other games that will have an effect on us a lot more entertaining.