PDA

View Full Version : ESPN crawl: Landry compl % has dropped four straight games

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2011, 09:40 PM
Which brings up a discussion topic.... There isn't just one thing on this team that needs fixing right now, but MINUS THE INJURIES, is Landry #1 on the list for what needs correction?

I would argue that he is. The announcers continued to note during the game that he looked "off". I'm sorry, but I think he has looked off all year long. He did not look good against FSU, and this crawl tidbit certainly doesn't indicate improvement since.

Not only that, but this year's edition of the offense has suffered more 3 and outs than I can remember since probably 2005, if then even. In my estimation those have been more a product of Landry's errant throws than drops or running lanes that haven't been opened by the o-line.

And, I thought Landry would have looked settled down this year the way he played in the last 5 last year. But I swear he looks more jittery than ever. He gets the slightest amount of pressure and he goes Tweak (from South Park) on the bit.

I have no illusions that if Landry does not come back next year, QB play initially will be anywhere near as good. It won't... either Drew or Blake will need time in the position to get comfortable. But I must say that I'm leaning towards hoping he does leave, because there will be a lot of veteran talent to support Drew or Blake to allow them some time. And I just don't have faith, with his performances through the first half of this season, that Landry can improve on what he is providing. And IMO, what he is providing isn't enough to rally the team to a championship.

I hope I'm wrong... I would like to see him succeed. I just don't see it.

Try discussing without flame-throwers... that's not the intent of the post. (Or flame away if you must... I don't care.)

Blue
10/27/2011, 09:46 PM
If our defense had half a clue we could get by with a serviceable QB. Ala McCarron or McCelroy or Jarett Lee. Or Craig Krenzel or Matt Mauck or Josh Heupel...or..Chris Leak..or Tee Martin.

Defense is where its at in the BCS era.

OUinFLA
10/27/2011, 09:47 PM
I don't care either.
Im just trying to figure out who will be in our conference next year.
Seems to be the "most" important topic.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2011, 09:52 PM
Our team is an offense-first, QB oriented team. If the QB is off, the team is off - no escape from that fact. Folks may *want* us to be like Bama, but we're not. It would take a couple of seasons at least to convert the schemes as well as recruit players to fit the new scheme. It would probably require some coaching changes as well.

3rdgensooner
10/27/2011, 09:55 PM
And, I thought Landry would have looked settled down this year the way he played in the last 5 last year. So there's still hope this year!?!?!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2011, 10:04 PM
If our defense had half a clue we could get by with a serviceable QB. Ala McCarron or McCelroy or Jarett Lee. Or Craig Krenzel or Matt Mauck or Josh Heupel...or..Chris Leak..or Tee Martin.

Defense is where its at in the BCS era.

Well yes, but with fewer 3 and outs in the first half the d is on the field a lot less. I don't disagree entirely, but laying it all at the feet of the defenses really obscures the negative effects of 3 and outs on a team. In other words, had the offense traded scores with Tech drive for drive in the first half, the poor defensive performance doesn't stand out as much.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2011, 10:05 PM
So there's still hope this year!?!?!

Of course. But it's a subdued hope for now.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2011, 10:15 PM
BTW, I did bring up that crawl stat just as a conversation starter. Two more facts about Landry's performance so far this year:

His completion percentage YTD is 65.3% That's only a half % off last year's 65.8% cumulative.

And his efficiency rating? 7.5 points higher... 153.8 this year vs. 146.3 last year.

So go figure. But I think that's why stats lie sometimes. Landry's play doesn't pass the eye test for any improvement this year, IMO. But of course that could be because I'm a little :stupid: ...

Breadburner
10/27/2011, 10:16 PM
It's seems a dual threat QB is the blueprint for an NC......

BigTip
10/27/2011, 10:30 PM
soonerboy....good post.

I think we are compelled to talk about Landry because he is such a conundrum. Brilliant, almost flawless performance capability, to deer in the headlights cluelessness.
If the good Jones would show up all the time we wouldn't have anything to talk about. But he doesn't.

starclassic tama
10/27/2011, 10:33 PM
It's seems a dual threat QB is the blueprint for an NC......
how so?
1998 - tee martin sort of, mainly a passer though
1999 - weinke, no
2000 - heupel, no
2001 - dorsey, no
2002 - krenzel, no
2003 - mauck/leinart no
2004 - leinart no
2005 - vince, yes
2006 - leak/tebow... leak was a passer, so push
2007 - matt flynn, no. perrilloux was sort of dual threat but he didn't play a ton
2008 - tebow, yes
2009 - mcelroy, no
2010 - newton, yes

it also doesn't appear that there will be one this year either

TXBOOMER
10/27/2011, 10:51 PM
I don't care who the QB is, we won't have #8 until we have a consistent running game, a solid defense and solid special teams. LJ is a really good QB but when he struggles he struggles. We can't overcome three and out after three and out. I'm not sure our next great QB is on campus yet.

Jdog
10/27/2011, 11:59 PM
Is he injured. The ball seems to some times slipping out of his hand funny. Like he doesn't have a good grip on it.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2011, 12:33 AM
omg, people. Just STHU about Landry. I'm one of his biggest critics, but he has been light years better this year overall. Many fewer dumb decisions, better passes, more poise, etc... He was NOT the problem last week. The D-line SUCKED. The O-line SUCKED. The secondary SUCKED. Special teams SUCKED. The receivers SUCKED. The coaches SUCKED. Landry was not great, but he was much, much better than all those problems I just listed. Get off his back, at least for this particular loss. He may stink it up against KSU and deserve your ire, but he doesn't for Taco Tech.

En_Fuego
10/28/2011, 01:08 AM
Is he injured. The ball seems to some times slipping out of his hand funny. Like he doesn't have a good grip on it.

lol..........That's why he wears velcro shoes (see another thread).......:encouragement:

Spray
10/28/2011, 08:11 AM
I gotta agree with Commie. 98% of the teams in the country would rather have our QB "problems". I'm not sure what standard you guys are after (beginning to sound like anything less than a Peyton Manniningesque ability is unacceptable), but Landry has given this team the most important thing any QB can every week- a chance to win the game. So he throws a few more picks and errant balls than his predecessor- big whoop. I have no proof, just a gut feeling, but I think Landry throws the ball downfield more than his predecessor. Higher risk, higher reward.

oudanny
10/28/2011, 08:17 AM
I agree Landry has been erratic all season and especially so against Tech but to try and pin all of the 3 and outs on him is ludicrous. How many dropped balls on third down did the receivers have? I really think the loss falls on our defense. 38 points should be enough for us to win any game.

rock on sooner
10/28/2011, 08:50 AM
A point here about the 3 and outs...go back and look at how many missed O line blocks blew up runs and/or caused Landry to
move out of the pocket or throw before he was ready. As to the defense taking the blame for the loss, I think the team should
and does take the blame.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 09:24 AM
A lot of passes were off on Saturday, but most of them still catchable balls. I'd place more blame on the receivers than Landry in the first half. How many passes were the receivers in position to make the first, had the ball hit them in the hands, and then they just drop it. Maybe he was throwing to hard or something, but still receivers probably had 5 or so dropped balls that should easily been catches. I'm not going to sit here and say Landry is Bradford, but he's certainly not bad...

NormanPride
10/28/2011, 09:24 AM
Without reading a bit of this thread, and acknowledging that I am not a huge Landry fan, I still say he's not the problem. I attribute his lower completion percentage to the fact that our OL has not been as solid as it should be. He still averages about 350 and 3/1 td/int. That's pretty killer.

This past game he would have had at least nine more completions and probably over 500 yards (plus another td) if the WRs had just caught the dang ball.

OU GENO
10/28/2011, 10:08 AM
I agree with commie and oudanny. LJ threw for 412 yards and 5 tds the offense wasn't great but the defense lost the game.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2011, 10:58 AM
I agree with commie and oudanny. LJ threw for 412 yards and 5 tds the offense wasn't great but the defense lost the game.

wrong.

NormanPride
10/28/2011, 11:06 AM
Nuh uh.

Crimsontothecore
10/28/2011, 11:19 AM
Damn Landry for giving up 41 points!

hawaii 5-0
10/28/2011, 11:24 AM
Damn Landry for giving up 41 points!

This^^^^^

5-0

C&CDean
10/28/2011, 11:25 AM
I ain't gonna say Landry lost us anything. However, I will say that this year he has been throwing a ton of high passes. Many times our receivers are able to go up and get, but many they are not. Don't know why this is, but watch the games and you'll see that other than the shoe-top throw he threw to Finch, everything is sailing high.

The Maestro
10/28/2011, 11:34 AM
OU's defense gave up the most yards ever in school history...572 yards...to Texas Tech. In HISTORY.

Landry, along with every quarterback in history, has some droughts and can't be and won't be perfect. But his performance was enough to win if the defense had not given up the most yards in school HISTORY.

OU GENO
10/28/2011, 11:36 AM
Even with 412 yds and 5 tds Landry and the offense was off how many points does the defense give up to be thier fault?

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2011, 11:38 AM
Blaming any particular unit on the loss is just wrong. Total team effort, defense, offense, special teams. If the offense isn't inert for 2.5 quarters, the defense doesn't give up record yardage. If the D gets a few more stops earlier, the offense gets going earlier.

hawaii 5-0
10/28/2011, 11:38 AM
If Landry had thrown a coupla pick 6's I could blame him some. He didn't.

Landry coulda had a better game. So could the Defense, the Coaches, the Special Teams, the O-Line. etc. It was a team failure.

5-0

OU GENO
10/28/2011, 11:45 AM
OU's defense gave up the most yards ever in school history...572 yards...to Texas Tech. In HISTORY.

Landry, along with every quarterback in history, has some droughts and can't be and won't be perfect. But his performance was enough to win if the defense had not given up the most yards in school HISTORY. YES!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2011, 11:45 AM
You see when I look at the 2nd quarter when TT blew this game wide open, I see an offense and defense both severely responsible...I just have stayed off the defense they are the easy target...This offense has a whole is just as responsible as the defense..

little over 3 minutes of possession in the 2nd quarter, 0 first downs playing against a team like tech..
OU 1st O31 13:46 Kickoff T00 12:52 *TOUCHDOWN 3-69 0:54#
OU 1st O31 11:25 Punt O39 10:16 Punt 3-8 1:09
OU 1st O12 06:51 Punt O26 05:20 Punt 4-14 1:31
OU 1st O04 04:32 Punt T22 14:55 Missed FG 15-74 4:37
OU 2nd O42 11:08 Kickoff T29 10:57 Fumble 1-29 0:11
OU 2nd O31 08:49 Kickoff O37 07:42 Punt 3-6 1:07
OU 2nd O13 05:50 Punt O18 04:33 Punt 3-5 1:17
OU 2nd O35 01:18 Kickoff O35 00:55 Punt 3-0 0:23
OU 3rd O20 15:00 Kickoff O20 14:16 Punt 3-0 0:44

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2011, 11:48 AM
I think part of the problem is that OU has not ran as many of the bubble screens the last few weeks and

1. They build completion percentage
2. I think are used to get Jones in rhythm

NormanPride
10/28/2011, 11:48 AM
OL and WRs shat themselves in the second quarter. Landry wasn't perfect, but he wasn't at fault.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2011, 11:52 AM
Looking at it again, OL/WR/RB/QB were all off..Reynolds drops passes, Oline can't run block, quarterback running from the pocket when it's still clean and sailing passes...He was just as responsible as the rest

NormanPride
10/28/2011, 11:59 AM
He was trying too hard after a couple of three and outs and being down a ton. Our team freaked out when we were down because we've never been in that position before.

On that note, I hope the coaches are harping as much as possible on how close we were to pulling an atrocious game like that out. It would have done wonders for our confidence if we could have had a comeback like that. Just a little more concentration here, a little more effort there, etc.

OU GENO
10/28/2011, 12:02 PM
I think part of the problem is that OU has not ran as many of the bubble screens the last few weeks and

2. I think are used to get Jones in rhythm Didn't Jones throw 6 tds for his most in a game earlier this year so 5 is not bad!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2011, 12:07 PM
Case Keenum threw 9 TDs last night..He is also the leading career touchdown leader now.. Is he better than Jones?

Jones is a really good quarterback...The guy is going to get drafted high and make a lot of money. Typically has great delivery...I also know that his receivers dropped passes Saturday..But I also saw him not respond with his reads..I saw him force passes that weren't there, and I saw him running from the pocket before necessary..He sailed a few..

we are basically TT on offense now with a less than steller runninggame..I expect our quarterback to have super stats when he throws 50 passes..Graham Harrell had these kind of stat lines a lot..Kliff Kingsbury did..Taylor Potts had a few..The Cumbie kid had them..

BigTip
10/28/2011, 12:14 PM
Landry didn't lose the game for us.

He wasn't able to win it for us, but he didn't lose it.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2011, 12:17 PM
You are correct...If anyone thinks I am saying that, I'm coming across wrong...I just think he is just as much responsible as anyone else that stepped on the field..It takes a team effort to lose to a 29 point dog.

OU GENO
10/28/2011, 12:24 PM
OK tt defense wins 41-38 let's hope ks defense doesn't. Boomer Sooner!

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2011, 12:33 PM

2. I think are used to get Jones in rhythm

I've noticed this too, but I haven't checked the stats to see if it was just my imagination. Seems Heupel really prefers to go downfield to receivers - less bubble screens and passes to the TEs. With Whaley out, didn't seem to flare out to the backs much.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2011, 12:36 PM
You are correct...If anyone thinks I am saying that, I'm coming across wrong...I just think he is just as much responsible as anyone else that stepped on the field..It takes a team effort to lose to a 29 point dog.

+1 - I've never said LJ lost the game either. I've just pushed back on claims any one unit let down when they all did.

stoopified
10/28/2011, 12:38 PM
5-6 dropped balls in each of OUr last two games have a lot to do with % droppoff.

swardboy
10/28/2011, 01:02 PM
I ain't gonna say Landry lost us anything. However, I will say that this year he has been throwing a ton of high passes. Many times our receivers are able to go up and get, but many they are not. Don't know why this is, but watch the games and you'll see that other than the shoe-top throw he threw to Finch, everything is sailing high.

Overstriding.

AlboSooner
10/28/2011, 02:18 PM
lol @ the implication that VY's passing was a threat, thus that would make him a dual threat.

JiminyChristmas
10/28/2011, 03:56 PM
The pass completion % is dropping because opponents have lots of film on us now. Tighter windows, more scrambles, more throw aways.

Heupel's inexperience is showing in the offense not evolving enough as the season progresses.

oupride
10/29/2011, 07:28 AM
This is a good thread, Landry is not the only problem. Thanks for the thought provoking post.

achiro
10/29/2011, 08:01 AM
Case Keenum threw 9 TDs last night..He is also the leading career touchdown leader now.. Is he better than Jones?

Jones is a really good quarterback...The guy is going to get drafted high and make a lot of money. Typically has great delivery...I also know that his receivers dropped passes Saturday..But I also saw him not respond with his reads..I saw him force passes that weren't there, and I saw him running from the pocket before necessary..He sailed a few..

we are basically TT on offense now with a less than steller runninggame..I expect our quarterback to have super stats when he throws 50 passes..Graham Harrell had these kind of stat lines a lot..Kliff Kingsbury did..Taylor Potts had a few..The Cumbie kid had them..

This.
If you were at the game you saw several open receivers that he never looked at.