PDA

View Full Version : Could Boren be doing this to get 12

Ashkill
10/27/2011, 07:44 PM
Texas only wants 10, so I wonder if Boren waited till after they announced WV to endorse Louisville to cause enough stink to force us taking both. In hopes that once we get to 11, it would be easy to persuade a 12th. I am sure Jerry Jones would like for us to have 12.

I may be thinking to much on this one.

jumperstop
10/27/2011, 07:48 PM
I don't see why we don't want to have 12 anyways....If they plan on sticking at 10, rename the damn conference. Second, you aren't going to be one of the elite conferences without a conference championship game. It works out OK this year with both bedlam teams being in the top 10 (/crosses fingers that we don't lose again), but in future years that'd kill us.

delhalew
10/27/2011, 08:34 PM
Yes. I think that's his angle, if it doesn't blow up in his face.

SoonerMarkVA
10/27/2011, 08:44 PM
Yes. I think that's his angle, if it doesn't blow up in his face.

Given the last few months, that seems like a serious concern. Maybe he should just step back for a while and let Joe C. represent us in the conference. Something seems to have gone askew with Boren.

prrriiide
10/27/2011, 08:49 PM
I don't GAF what texass wants. The sooner the conference tells them to suck a bagfull, the better the conference will be. Go to 12 and tell texass if they don't like it, they can try to go to the PAC.

8timechamps
10/27/2011, 08:49 PM
I read earlier today that Texas wanted WV and OU wanted Louisville. I thought that was odd, and kind of dismissed it as nonsense. I didn't (and still can't) understand what difference it makes, and why we don't take both.

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 03:00 AM
I've heard that OU that it's on hold due to fighting over the TV rights commitment. OU wants 10, UT wants 6.WVU is possibly being used as a bargaining chip in this. (sorry WVU). Basically OU wants some sort of assurance that UT isn't going to try and go indy anytime soon.

I've also heard both OU and UT want to stay at 10. Fox apparently prefers WVU.

Oddly, I recall that didn't the members agree to keep everything underwraps until it was done, but yet the ****ing news/rumors leak like a screen door in a hurricane.

lexred
10/28/2011, 07:51 AM
The whole Is realignment issue looks like it is being run by the three stooges or Beavis and Butthead. Is Mizzou in or out? The SEC doesn't plan on expanding beyond aTm, but maybe now they do. Is WVU in or out? Same for Louisville? Is Notre Dame just a Deloss Dodds erotic dream? T-Bone Pickens is "not sure" about WVU? Why don't they name ol T-Bone the actual head of OSwho and get Burns ( the puppet) Hargis out of the way? Do we want 10 teams or 12? If we want 10 do we change the name? Big 12-2-1+1? We have the "We look stupid award" in the bag.

kevpks
10/28/2011, 08:00 AM
The whole Is realignment issue looks like it is being run by the three stooges or Beavis and Butthead. Is Mizzou in or out? The SEC doesn't plan on expanding beyond aTm, but maybe now they do. Is WVU in or out? Same for Louisville? Is Notre Dame just a Deloss Dodds erotic dream? T-Bone Pickens is "not sure" about WVU? Why don't they name ol T-Bone the actual head of OSwho and get Burns ( the puppet) Hargis out of the way? Do we want 10 teams or 12? If we want 10 do we change the name? Big 12-2-1+1? We have the "We look stupid award" in the bag.

And it shows us how bad things have gotten in the Big East if teams are clamoring to join this cluster #@$& of a league.

badger
10/28/2011, 08:19 AM
Boren is really doing a lot of WTF stuff lately. I hope all of the treatments to make him healthier haven't had adverse effects :(

OklahomaTuba
10/28/2011, 08:45 AM
We should bolt for the SEC ASAP.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 09:59 AM

Not going to happen. Not even remotely an option at this point.

bluedogok
10/28/2011, 10:03 AM
Deloss Dodds erotic dream?
That is a disturbing thought......

soonercoop1
10/28/2011, 10:05 AM

^This...

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 10:12 AM
But if we would the SEC would throw out Mizzery like it was spoiled milk.

ouflak
10/28/2011, 10:13 AM
Keep in mind guys that teams that don't bring money into the conference, divide up everybody's share. And neither WVU or Louisville bring money (via TV markets for bigger TV contracts) into the conference. That's why we should really stick to ten if we can.

If Missouri doesn't bolt, we should take noone. If they do, get the larger of the two fish, WVU. And that's it. No more. In six years, after the LHN experiment has given us enough information about its feasability, bolt.

And there's no way we are going to the SEC as long as Boren is in the way. Get him out of this mess, and we might be able to clean it up.

OULenexaman
10/28/2011, 10:15 AM
Occupy Boren...

soonercoop1
10/28/2011, 10:24 AM
He has already blown it by allowing Texass to run off Colo, Neb, A&M and Mizzou...there are zero teams outside of ND that could be added that would equal the caliber of those teams...not Louisville, not WVU, not TCU, not Boise St....the Big12 is a joke....should've gone to the SEC when their position was much stronger...

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 10:27 AM
He has already blown it by allowing Texass to run off Colo, Neb, A&M and Mizzou...there are zero teams outside of ND that could be added that would equal the caliber of those teams...not Louisville, not WVU, not TCU, not Boise St....the Big12 is a joke....

Say whatever you want, but this joke of a conference will still be better top to bottom (in football at least) than any conference outside of the SEC and it may be almost as good as them.

soonercoop1
10/28/2011, 10:28 AM
Say whatever you want, but this joke of a conference will still be better top to bottom (in football at least) than any conference outside of the SEC and it may be almost as good as them.

Seriously?

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 10:33 AM
Seriously?

Tell me how the Pac 12 and BIG are better top to bottom than the Big 12 right now. And yes I'm completely serious...

Adding WV doesn't hurt that as far as I can see...

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 10:35 AM
Boren is really doing a lot of WTF stuff lately. I hope all of the treatments to make him healthier haven't had adverse effects :(

Hopefully they're not slipping him milk of the poppy at night.

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 10:39 AM
Keep in mind guys that teams that don't bring money into the conference, divide up everybody's share. And neither WVU or Louisville bring money (via TV markets for bigger TV contracts) into the conference. That's why we should really stick to ten if we can.

If Missouri doesn't bolt, we should take noone. If they do, get the larger of the two fish, WVU. And that's it. No more. In six years, after the LHN experiment has given us enough information about its feasability, bolt.

And there's no way we are going to the SEC as long as Boren is in the way. Get him out of this mess, and we might be able to clean it up.

True, but compelling match ups do draw interest. There's a reason the Big 12 has a bigger contract then the SS Big East, even though they're a largely east coast with several large markets in their territory (including NYC).

Rumor I read was that Fox had already expressed to the Big 12 that they were more interesting in WVU then L-Ville.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 10:41 AM
Pac 12

Oregon, Stanford are good
ASU meh
Washington, USC, WSU, OSU, Cal, UCLA, Zona, CU, Utah all suck....

BIG
Wisconson, MSU are good
Nebbish, Michigan meh
everyone else blows.....

Big 12
OU, OSU, KSU are good
Texas, Baylor, Mizzou, aTm Tech are meh
ISU, Kansas are the only suck dicks.....

I would say percentage wise, the Big 12 is a lot better than those other two.

Edit: And replace aTm and Mizzou with WVU and TCU. I'm pretty sure that those two teams can be meh teams in our league. TCU maybe less so than WVU, but still good enough to replace them. WV has more wins than aTm all time and both TCU and WVU have been to bcs bowl games. Something that neither Mizzou or aTm can say...

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 10:43 AM
Seriously?

You do realize that the Big 12 has been, at worst the 2nd best conference since 2000? All three teams that were leaving/left went through partial down cycles through that time also. KU won a BCS bowl, and it wasn't uncommon to send 2 Big 12 teams to the BCS.

soonercoop1
10/28/2011, 10:47 AM
Tell me how the Pac 12 and BIG are better top to bottom than the Big 12 right now. And yes I'm completely serious...

Adding WV doesn't hurt that as far as I can see...

Guess adding WVU for Mizzou would be a wash but the Big12 conference can never gain back the prestige/tradition lost...

2009 ESPN College Football presige/tradition ratings:

OU is #1

Neb-#5
A&M-#20
Colo-#22
Mizz-#36

TCU-#31
WVU-#35
Boise St- #54
Louisville-#59

soonercoop1
10/28/2011, 10:50 AM
You do realize that the Big 12 has been, at worst the 2nd best conference since 2000? All three teams that were leaving/left went through partial down cycles through that time also. KU won a BCS bowl, and it wasn't uncommon to send 2 Big 12 teams to the BCS.

"Has been" since the loss of the 4 teams...

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 10:54 AM
Guess adding WVU for Mizzou would be a wash but the Big12 conference can never gain back the prestige/tradition lost...

2009 ESPN College Football presige/tradition ratings:

OU is #1

Neb-#5
A&M-#20
Colo-#22
Mizz-#36

TCU-#31
WVU-#35
Boise St- #54
Louisville-#59

I was talking about best conference, not in terms of prestige. We are probably still better prestige wise than most conferences I would guess, and if not who cares. What's ND ranked in the prestige rankings? and they haven't done **** for almost 3 decades now.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 10:55 AM

Outside of the apperance by Nebbish in the title game, what have those other two done that was so great? CU sucked, aTm maybe upset OU or Texas every couple of seasons. Probably nothing that WVU and TCU won't be able to pick up where they left off...

delhalew
10/28/2011, 11:09 AM
TCU is an upgrade over ATM. WVU is at least equal to Mizzery. Nobody even noticed Colorado left. Nebraska is living off tradition because they have little else. The Huskers are the only team that can't be replaced, and, let's be honest, they were a little underwhelming in a soft Big12 north.

FriscoTXsooner
10/28/2011, 11:37 AM
When it's all said and done, the Big XII still needs to get to 12 teams and have a CC. Without it we become the old Big X, and those in power will question the strength of our conference. If every other conference has a CC game, it adds one more notch to their victory belts, and give increased strength to schedule. I don't think TCU and WV are bad adds, could be a lot worse, however we still need to add two teams, and when you look at the available teams (BYU, Louisville, SMU, Houston, etc) well pick your poison. I would add BYU and Houston, although the idea of another Texas team bothers me. One possibility which not many have talked about is Tulsa?

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 11:48 AM
When it's all said and done, the Big XII still needs to get to 12 teams and have a CC. Without it we become the old Big X, and those in power will question the strength of our conference. If every other conference has a CC game, it adds one more notch to their victory belts, and give increased strength to schedule. I don't think TCU and WV are bad adds, could be a lot worse, however we still need to add two teams, and when you look at the available teams (BYU, Louisville, SMU, Houston, etc) well pick your poison. I would add BYU and Houston, although the idea of another Texas team bothers me. One possibility which not many have talked about is Tulsa?

Tulsa is not near big enough. I do agree that we get to 12 but I either think they don't ever plan on it or they taking their time to make sure that Mizzou is for sure gone before they start inviting. They'll probably go next year with 10 teams as it takes a while to work out schedules and it's easier to replace a couple teams and go with ten then try and scramble to add two more and completely redo the schedule. At least that's what I hope.

As for which others to add I think Louisville would still be good as it provides a rival for WV and helps connect them more to us. And then maybe still a team away from another big conference like the ACC in a couple of years..

ouflak
10/28/2011, 11:49 AM

Not in money. And in the long run, that's going to start to make a difference. Let's just hope 6 years isn't the long run.

And considering that we've just lost 3, looking like 4, teams, and only added two... I think you should really have a think about whether we are really that much better than all of these other major conferences.

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 11:52 AM
Not in money. And in the long run, that's going to start to make a difference. Let's just hope 6 years isn't the long run.

I don't think that the money is going to be that much worse than other conferences. No it probably won't be the highest but OU makes pleanty of money anyways and already has some of the best facilities in the nation. I was talking strictly football wise.

FriscoTXsooner
10/28/2011, 11:55 AM
We can't wait several or even a couple years to get back to a CC game, I wouldn't be surprised if the Big XII presidents weren't secretly designing a 12 team conference for next year. All they would need to do is to use the shell left after NE and Col left, place the selected schools in their place, and print the schedule. I willing to wager this is happening now in their planning process!!!

jumperstop
10/28/2011, 11:57 AM
We can't wait several or even a couple years to get back to a CC game, I wouldn't be surprised if the Big XII presidents weren't secretly designing a 12 team conference for next year. All they would need to do is to use the shell left after NE and Col left, place the selected schools in their place, and print the schedule. I willing to wager this is happening now in their planning process!!!

Possibly, but if that's what they are doing then they'll probably wait a season. It's easier on such short notice to just replace aTm and Mizzou with TCU and Wv on the schedule.

Tear Down This Wall
10/28/2011, 12:51 PM
Look...there are no schools worth adding out there.

Notre Dame and BYU? Think Texas is a nightmare to deal with. Notre Dame has bigger entitlement issues than Texas. BYU has it's ridiculous "we don't play on Sundays" thing that doesn't even have anything to do with Jesus (if you go ahead and read the Bible...discussion on Mormonism and their misuse of the name Jesus can be discussed elsewhere...but it dings up conference realignment for them in the meantime).

West Virginia or anyone in the Big East? Okay, why is the Big East failing if these schools are worth having? Because - KA-POW - they add nothing in the way of media markets/money. No one cares about West Virginia, etc. outside of West Virginia, etc.

TCU, Houston, SMU...gamble that they can compete with a BCS league schedule based on what they do year in and year out against...New Mexico, UNLV, Tulane...come on. Get serious.

Boren's tunnel-vision has us stuck with this conference. If he actually thinks fatening the conference back up with schools that add nothing, he's lost his mind and need to be retired from the athletic realm and only be let out to deal with his smarmy academic colleagues.

The way up is out of the conference. But, these guys must have some OU Network plan they know won't fly with other conferences...such as the SEC. Although Longhorn Network is a joke doomed to fail, I fear Boren, and Joe C. as well, cling to the notion it can be like Longhorn Network.

After seeing the utter failure of Longhorn Network to take hold even in Texas, I can't imagine was kind of magic beans have been sold to Boren and Joe C. about a Sooner Network.

F*ck, we're stuck.

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 01:01 PM

sorry, I forgot, but can you remind me when the last time Mizzou or A$M went to a BCS bowl, or won the crown in Football?

I'll admit it, I never thought much of WVU, because in this area we aren't exposed to them. SS Big East plays games on Tues/Wed/Thur/Fri nights. They're not the primetime ABC game (unless it's something like LSU/WVU). They're not even 2:30, they're the 11 am league.

I wasn't against bringing BYU in, but WVU is a big big get. It's by far the best available team. Honestly, the SEC probably did screw up by deciding on it's bromance with the Zoo and expanding into St. Louis and tossing WVU aside.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_ia_wins.php

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 01:09 PM
TV markets do help with revenue. The big east is in better tv markets though and has a worse contract then the 12.

I'm sure someone can look up and find the TV ratings though, by conference. For example the PAC probably doesn't have the rating power of the SEC they may not even have the ratings power the current Big 12. If the Big 12 can generate better ratings, they will get better revenue. This is true especially if the conference is like the SEC and continues to draw national interest instead of just regional. Will the contract be for SEC money, nope, but done be suprised if it's better then the PAC.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/28/2011, 01:25 PM
Oh for pete's sake, I can't keep this stuff straight anymore.

badger
10/28/2011, 01:28 PM
Pitt to ACC though, right?

soonerboy_odanorth
10/28/2011, 01:31 PM
yes, omg... it truly has spun out of control. I can't keep it straight anymore.

Can't we just go independent and schedule Texas, NU, and (if we have to) the LoSuRs every year?

Ugh.

soonerboomer93
10/28/2011, 01:41 PM
TBH, I would expect any more news out of the Big 12 (other then the Zoo wankers leaving) for a bit now. I think we do scoop up two more SS big east teams. However this probably depends on the validity of the ND rumors and their 60 day final decision time frame. I think if they join for all sports but football then it's actually more likely as it would strengthen the regional affilation to put a couple more school between the original Big 12 area and the outlier in WV.