PDA

View Full Version : So, let's see what we've got, shall we?

the_ouskull
10/27/2011, 06:48 PM
There could be half a dozen different ways to go with this, but based off of what I've seen to date, this is my best estimation...

1 - Carl Blair. Yes, our likely starting point guard will be he of the 25% 3-pt percentage and the 1.5/1 assist/turnover ratio. But, good news, I hear that he's been working on his "don't suck" this summer, so there's a good chance for a breakthrough. And, being less of an *sshole, he's had an entire year with the team, getting acclimated to Big-12 caliber competition, and preparing himself for the same.

2 - Steven Pledger. Our only decent (35%) long-baller in the backcourt isn't actually that decent. Even more frustrating is the fact that he actually shot 46% on his 2-point attempts. But, when he gets hot, he gets REALLY hot. He's like Calvin Curry's full-grown midget brother.

- - - In addition to being turnover-prone, the two of them are a defensive liability, too. But, these are things than can, and likely, will, improve under Coach Kruger. Outside of the starting two, we'll also see Calvin Newell and newcomer Sam Grooms getting some playing time. In fact, if he's as good as advertised, then Grooms could be starting over Blair at some point. He's not much on defense either, but he's a lot better with the basketball than anybody else we have.

3 - Cam Clark. A bright spot. Weird. Considering the sh*tstorms swirling up all around him last season, I'd say he had a decent rookie campaign. Now he's got to become a senior. This team needs this guy to "get it" right out of the gate. He's the only player on the squad (as far as I know/can tell) with anything resembling an inside/outside game, and he's got to be/come a dual threat like that for us to be effective offensively. Otherwise, our players are too one-dimensional. (Hey, Fitz has the ball in the post. I wonder if he's going to... speaking of.)

4 - Andrew Fitzgerald. As of today, this team's best player. Sadly, it says a lot about his team that a 6'8", 243 (ahem) pound post led the team in steals. But, he was an honorable-mention All Big-12, and well-deserving of that. He was trying his hardest to carry a sinking ship last season while keeping on a smile for the young(er) faces. Now, he's got help. So, since he's got a bit of help in the frontcourt, I'd like to see him improve his rebounding average, draw more fouls, and post a more impressive shooting perccentage than he did last season (really, 48.6, for a post?) while committing fewer turnovers. (an impressive 76, good for second on the team despite rarely handling the ball..) He has got to be the anchor for this team, and it's got to start with rebounding. He's not going to intimidate anybody as a shot blocker, but he CAN kill for position and take up space. And, if he's gotten better at drawing the foul on the offensive end, he'll be better able to show off his solid (74%) free-throw shooting - with the added bonus of piling up fouls on opposing bigs for a change.

5 - ...and this is where I start drawing a blank. It's going to have to be either Romero Osby or Casey Arent. Arent averaged 19 and 11 last year; a tough feat at any level of basketball - as long as everybody's the same age, Danny Almonte. (sorry for the cross-sport reference...) But, Capel said that Osby was the best player on the team in practice last year. Well, last year's team wasn't very good, and Capel got fired. Point, Arent. However, if he was better than Fitz, and they're basically the same player anyway (same height, Osby weighs slightly less) then it stands to reason that they'd both start, and the JUCO player would be the backup. But, since there's a new coach, they're basically ALL new players, 'cause he's (please, GOD) bringing in a new system.

- - - But, either way, they're both going to see a lot of playing time, since our only other (eligible) players on the roster over 6'6" are Tyler Neal, and a couple of guys who aren't going to play much. (Okay, C.J. Washington could see some playing time, too...) We're going to need Neal to be tough-as-nails, Washington to prove to be a capable fouler and drop-off-dunker, and the three guys that will actually see some real burn to play much bigger than they are. Three bigs in the Big 12 is tough, and doing it with an undersized 3 is even tougher. Cam Clark is a potential all-conference guy, but he's still just 6'6". And, there's still not a good defender in our frontcourt either, unless Osby is a monster-in-hiding. His averages at MSU don't indicate a monster. And, Arent isn't going to adapt to D1 comp right away, and he's going to need to get stronger to defend effectively.

So, it could be a long season for the Sooners... but, as much as it pains me to say (admit?) it, sometimes those seasons are the most fun. I'm behind the guys, no matter what. But, frustration is a stinky cologne, and sometimes I splash it on a little thick.

I'm workin' on it...

the_ouskull

stoopified
10/28/2011, 10:28 AM
You may well be right to be so negative BUT I would like to voice(type) a few counterpoints-
1) Clarke lead the team in 3pt % so he is also a fair long baller
2) All outside analysts(tv-radio analysts,former coaches) who watched practice last year thought Osby was OUr best player.
3)Osby and Fitz are NOT the same player,Osby is an inside-outside guy,Fitz is not a factor on o or d outside 12-15 feet.
4) It is a great feat to average 19 & 11? Funny CJ put up the same kind of numbers against tougher juco competition and he didn't light up the woyld last year.Everything I've read about Arent says he played inferior talent and size in juco.

I have no idea how good we will be this year ,however I choose to hope for best case scenario and am thinking 17-13 regular season and an NIT bid.

Ton Loc
10/28/2011, 12:37 PM
Skull - WTF where have you been. Here's what I'm looking for this year (Not completly bball related)

Carl Blair - You have awesome hair. Hopefully, you've improved every other facet of your game besides looking good. Skull - even you have to admit you'd still rath have AJ at this point.

Stephen Pledger - This guy seems like he has been around forever, but has somehow gotten worse. Plus, he doesn't look like a basketball player. Maybe its just me.

Cam Clark - Hopefully found some muscle this year and hopefully Coach Lon found him a defined role. If so, he could be 2nd team all conferance this year.

Fitz Dog - Love this guy. Works harder than eveyone else and I imagine he was the guy Coach used as an example while yelling at other more "talented" kids telling them what they could accomplish if they had half his heart.

Ozby - The new guy who I would say has a lot of pressure on him from all the hype of last year, but since you need lots of fans and support to feel pressure he should be fine.

Tyler Neal - Every team needs a Tyler Neal to come off the bench for them. He should be the fan favorite, super energy, pace changer guy off the bench.

This should be a super interesting and fun year to watch. The fans should be able to form a real bond with this team. They just need to show up.

badger
10/28/2011, 01:00 PM
Can I con the few OU mens basketball fans left that post here into partaking in vBookie events for our beloved Fightin' Krugers? :)

Has there been any word on season ticket sales, student participating this upcoming season (I would LOVE a section of Freddy Krugers, hehe), etc?

Ton Loc
10/28/2011, 01:26 PM
I posted bets in all of the men's bball vbookie events.

Sooner95
10/28/2011, 06:32 PM
Why do i not feel any better now? lol

Thi sis going to be a long season, but honestly I would prefer a team battling every night for hard fought wins and trying to make something of what i think will be a losing season, than the garbage ego deva play we've had in the past.

the_ouskull
10/29/2011, 03:19 PM
I would prefer a team battling every night for hard fought wins and trying to make something of what i think will be a losing season, than the garbage ego deva play we've had in the past.

F'in' eh.

Vegas Sooner
10/30/2011, 03:50 PM
I have faith Lon!