PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal

Ton Loc
10/27/2011, 08:26 AM
for your neighbor to leave a note in your mailbox that says the following:

The next time your dogs are on my property they will be shot.
Thanks
Your Friendly Neighbor

Couple small facts-

The guy is crazy.
The property he is talking about is not his.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/27/2011, 08:32 AM
I always heard it is not legal to put non-mail in a mailbox. That Dean guy should know, unless early retirement mushed his memory..

Hot Rod
10/27/2011, 08:47 AM
http://pe.usps.com/Archive/PDF/DMMArchive0810/D041.pdf

"no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage"

olevetonahill
10/27/2011, 09:00 AM
Not only is it Illegal . That note could be cause for him to be arrested for making "Terrioristic" threats

jumperstop
10/27/2011, 09:20 AM
I would call the police. I would leave a note on his door that says "next time you **** with my mailbox I'll contact the authorities"

Partial Qualifier
10/27/2011, 09:34 AM
wouldn't hesitate to call the police

In the meantime, I'd keep my dogs outta his yard or whatever

NormanPride
10/27/2011, 09:53 AM
1. Teach dogs to attack neighbor
2. More dogs than bullets in magazine
3. ????
4. Profit!

cleller
10/27/2011, 10:04 AM
Technically, it should be reported to a postal inspector. Local police can enforce municipal ordinances, and state laws. This is a federal law, with no corresponding state or local law.

Plus, its just the postal inspector's territory. I'd imagine they get flooded with this kind of junk, and only have time to act on habitual nuisance offender. Given the fact that you think the guy is crazy, the most logical course (IMO) is to ignore him, and make sure you're keeping you butt covered in regard to your dogs' behavior.

If he persists "Better Call Saul!"

from Breaking Bad if you're not a fan.

KantoSooner
10/27/2011, 10:05 AM
Similar dispute involving a friend near Kerrville was resolved simply.

Neighbor: "I don't care if you have kids running around on your property! It's my right to shoot my guns on my property. You tell those kids to stay out of my way!"

Friend: "Fine. I understand your rights. Be advised that I am armed and hit what I shoot at. If your bullets are passing over my property, expect massive, highly accurate, return fire."

Never heard another word, or shot, from neighbor.

AlboSooner
10/27/2011, 10:21 AM
I would take it step by step.

1. If my dogs were in his property, I would make sure that never happens again.
2. I would go over to his house and offer to solve this thing like adults.
3. If that doesn't work, I would pull over a local cop and ask for advice on how to deal with this.
4. I would show the note to the cop, or even a lawyer.

I would hope that step one and two solved the situation. It is irrational for something like this to escalate over some dog poop. The problem between you and your neighbor is deeper than dog poop. He doesn't like you. Find out why.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2011, 10:59 AM
http://www.news.synavista.com/will-ferrell-dog-lawyer/3044/

OhU1
10/27/2011, 10:59 AM
The joy of having a nutcase gun guy next door. Sounds like he is itching for an excuse to use his power toys. Not good. Get your own gun if you don't have one and then do what Albo suggested.

At the very least talking to this guy face to face will show him that he does not intimidate you. Hopefully with a little discussion he will mellow out a bit. Slipping a note (like talking tough on the internet) is a passive act. That already tells me the guy is basically a coward, but cowards can be dangerous if cornered so I would try the calm assertive approach first rather than counter threats, ect.

Ton Loc
10/27/2011, 11:38 AM
I would take it step by step.

1. If my dogs were in his property, I would make sure that never happens again.
2. I would go over to his house and offer to solve this thing like adults.
3. If that doesn't work, I would pull over a local cop and ask for advice on how to deal with this.
4. I would show the note to the cop, or even a lawyer.

I would hope that step one and two solved the situation. It is irrational for something like this to escalate over some dog poop. The problem between you and your neighbor is deeper than dog poop. He doesn't like you. Find out why.

Good sound advice from everyone.
Good news is that it isn't me, but my co-worker. She showed up today with the note. The handwriting is one step from him cutting out letters from a magazine. She's had problems with him before, and other's have also had problems with him.
I guess she's going to go with just keeping the dogs out of his sight and hope that solves it as she would rather not deal with him again. So #1 and #2 are probably out. I told her to at least keep the note and document it.

Sooner Tri
10/27/2011, 11:59 AM
Speaking of this, how do you keep your neighbor's dogs from pooping in your yard, and them not cleaning it up (yes, they have been asked nicely)?
I 'm already tossing it back into their yard without success. Should I smear on their front window instead? I don't have a huge problem with them running around and coming into my yard, it's the mess they leave behind (from their behind!). Thanks!

olevetonahill
10/27/2011, 12:10 PM
Speaking of this, how do you keep your neighbor's dogs from pooping in your yard, and them not cleaning it up (yes, they have been asked nicely)?
I 'm already tossing it back into their yard without success. Should I smear on their front window instead? I don't have a huge problem with them running around and coming into my yard, it's the mess they leave behind (from their behind!). Thanks!
Move out in the country. No neighbor Probs at all.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2011, 12:14 PM
for your neighbor to leave a note in your mailbox that says the following:

Couple small facts-

The guy is crazy.
The property he is talking about is not his.

Quick note: What do you mean by the property is not his? Is he just squatting on it, or does he have a lease? If he has a lease, he has the same expectation to the quiet enjoyment of the parcel that a landowner would have.

Ton Loc
10/27/2011, 01:13 PM
Quick note: What do you mean by the property is not his? Is he just squatting on it, or does he have a lease? If he has a lease, he has the same expectation to the quiet enjoyment of the parcel that a landowner would have.

There is an empty field between their houses. It isn't his but for the past 9 years he has thought of it as his. I don't think there is a problem with keeping the dogs away from him, it's just the way he communicated that thought.

rekamrettuB
10/27/2011, 03:27 PM

I would start putting it on their driveway and/or sidewalk where it sticks out. Or, if you really want them to see it, put it in a paper bag, set it on fire, ring the door bell, and run like hell.

jumperstop
10/27/2011, 04:02 PM
I have the same problem at my new house. There is always dog poop on my front yard. I used to think that since we just moved in and the house was vacant for a year previous that they just didn't know we lived there. There is poop probably 20-30 feet from the sidewalk so someone is letting their dog run all over my yard and do whatever they want. I bet it's my next door neighbors dog but I haven't seen them. The minute I do I'm starting to toss it in their yard.

I can see if you're walking your dog and he can't make it home before he poops. But to have the amount of poop I see is no accidental walking the dog poop. It's more inconsiderate neighbor poop....I don't pick up my dogs poop either, but that's why I don't take them on walks. Well that and he just drags me the entire way.

8timechamps
10/27/2011, 04:02 PM
There is an empty field between their houses. It isn't his but for the past 9 years he has thought of it as his. I don't think there is a problem with keeping the dogs away from him, it's just the way he communicated that thought.

As mentioned above, I'd have a face-to-face conversation with him. I always thought it was cowardly to leave a note to a neighbor. However, if you think they guy is really crazy, then maybe just a call to the authorities.

3rdgensooner
10/27/2011, 04:23 PM
As mentioned above, I'd have a face-to-face conversation with him. I always thought it was cowardly to leave a note to a neighbor. However, if you think they guy is really crazy, then maybe just a call to the authorities.If she lives alone, I'm not sure I'd encourage her to have this conversation.

8timechamps
10/27/2011, 04:40 PM
If she lives alone, I'm not sure I'd encourage her to have this conversation.

Wait, Tone Loc is a she? In that case, nevermind.

3rdgensooner
10/27/2011, 04:41 PM
Wait, Tone Loc is a she? In that case, nevermind.I think you may have missed this post.

Good sound advice from everyone.
Good news is that it isn't me, but my co-worker. She showed up today with the note. The handwriting is one step from him cutting out letters from a magazine. She's had problems with him before, and other's have also had problems with him.
I guess she's going to go with just keeping the dogs out of his sight and hope that solves it as she would rather not deal with him again. So #1 and #2 are probably out. I told her to at least keep the note and document it.

8timechamps
10/27/2011, 04:45 PM
I think you may have missed this post.

Yep, I did. See what happens when I half-*** read things?

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2011, 04:55 PM

Ah. In that case, **** that guy. Subject to municipal ordinance and the wishes of the owner of the parcel, the dogs can **** on that field to their heart's delight. My considered advice: I'm not being paid to research this. ;)

DCSooner
10/27/2011, 05:00 PM
I was charged with a terroristic threat just by telling a dude I was going to blow up his car. So ya, I think you could take this one to the cops.

badger
10/27/2011, 05:01 PM
Advice on dog poop: Catch them in the act. Embarrass them publicly by asking them not to let their dogs go in your yard. Without catching them in the act, you have nothing.

I know that arseholes will purposely make their dogs poo in yards with "Please pick up after your dogs signs" posted, but since they're doing it anyway, it might deter those that you haven't caught yet.

True story: Was pulling my car outta the driveway en route to work, when a dumb faced guy waved slightly as his dog was obviously relieving himself on my lawn. I tried glaring... he didn't make his dog stop.

I was pulling out and about to just let it go, when I noticed that the dog is now squatting. I immediately 360'd in the neighborhood and pulled up next to him and said "I'd appreciate it if you didn't let your dogs go on my lawn!" and he said "OK," very embarrassed.

A blond chick 360'ing on a neighborhood street is apparently more intimidating than a glare.

Above all, don't let your dogs be the ones pooing and peeing in other yards. If it ever happens, scold them and clean up after them. Make sure than any old ladies or coots that spy through their windows know that you don't let your own dogs do it... or they might just be senile to squat Muffins or Fido in your yard next time.

En_Fuego
10/27/2011, 05:35 PM
Qtzk8HNPzHY

jumperstop
10/27/2011, 05:42 PM
Advice on dog poop: Catch them in the act. Embarrass them publicly by asking them not to let their dogs go in your yard. Without catching them in the act, you have nothing.

I know that arseholes will purposely make their dogs poo in yards with "Please pick up after your dogs signs" posted, but since they're doing it anyway, it might deter those that you haven't caught yet.

True story: Was pulling my car outta the driveway en route to work, when a dumb faced guy waved slightly as his dog was obviously relieving himself on my lawn. I tried glaring... he didn't make his dog stop.

I was pulling out and about to just let it go, when I noticed that the dog is now squatting. I immediately 360'd in the neighborhood and pulled up next to him and said "I'd appreciate it if you didn't let your dogs go on my lawn!" and he said "OK," very embarrassed.

A blond chick 360'ing on a neighborhood street is apparently more intimidating than a glare.

Above all, don't let your dogs be the ones pooing and peeing in other yards. If it ever happens, scold them and clean up after them. Make sure than any old ladies or coots that spy through their windows know that you don't let your own dogs do it... or they might just be senile to squat Muffins or Fido in your yard next time.

If you're bitching about a dog peeing....you're a bitch.....

If they are habitually doing it causing yellow spots then that's another thing....

badger
10/27/2011, 05:52 PM
If you're bitching about a dog peeing....you're a bitch.....

If they are habitually doing it causing yellow spots then that's another thing....

That's the problem. dog crapping begets more dog crapping. the dogs smell where it's already been done and repeat it in the same spot.

You don't have a dog, or live in a doggie neighborhood, do you? :)

jumperstop
10/27/2011, 06:08 PM
That's the problem. dog crapping begets more dog crapping. the dogs smell where it's already been done and repeat it in the same spot.

You don't have a dog, or live in a doggie neighborhood, do you? :)

My yard gets **** on constantly, I'm assuming by the neighbor. And yes I have the two stupidest dogs known to man. One saint, one chihuahua...And it seems like everyone has a dog in my neighborhood. I just don't walk my dogs anymore because I'm not picking up dog **** since I no longer live in a apartment and my dog's ****s are the size of some human ****s.

jumperstop
10/27/2011, 06:16 PM
Showing off my dog since we're talking about him...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/jumperstop/316208_10100271871499302_17127416_46226415_6614695 72_n.jpg

8timechamps
10/27/2011, 08:53 PM

I'm with you on the dog poop, but if I tried to keep my dog peeing in only my yard, he'd bust. I walk him every night, and I'd bet he pees 10 times along the route. Now, if a dog is consistently "yellow spotting" a lawn, I get it. But I really have no control on when or where he pees.

C&CDean
10/28/2011, 07:31 AM
City folk are a strange lot.

pphilfran
10/28/2011, 07:52 AM
City folk are a strange lot.

No chit....

badger
10/28/2011, 08:12 AM
I'm with you on the dog poop, but if I tried to keep my dog peeing in only my yard, he'd bust. I walk him every night, and I'd bet he pees 10 times along the route. Now, if a dog is consistently "yellow spotting" a lawn, I get it. But I really have no control on when or where he pees.

Take along a bottle of water. It doesn't have to be fancy purified Aquafina expensive crap, just a bottle with some tap water in it. Diluting the spots your dog leaves behind will make your neighbors less grumpy :)

cleller
10/28/2011, 08:42 AM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/GOODdiaper.jpg