PDA

View Full Version : Biggest game after a loss...this week?

The Maestro
10/26/2011, 01:46 PM
I was wondering what the biggest game OU had played after a devastating loss was in the Stoops era and beyond so did a little research. I know we can all agree this team had national championship aspirations and no one saw a home loss to a team that had just surrendered 40-plus in two straight home losses was going to be the knife in our chest, but it happened. And we have had other teams that have endured unexpected losses...but it doesn't seem many teams have been faced with putting the loss behind them, go on the road and face an unbeaten top ten team on the road the following week. That is what we face now. The season is now SERIOUSLY on the verge of getting real bad and disappointing...or the win could rally us to make a run for another Big 12 title and we start cheering for teams like Georgia Tech, USC, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina...and more.

Last year's both losses were, at least, bummers. Road losses, no doubt, to good teams with some stars...but the follow up games were home games vs. Colorado and, ironically, Texas Tech. Not exactly a road game in late October against an unbeaten team.

2009 was a rough year, but after our last loss we were on the verge of not going to a bowl game, it appeared...and 11th ranked OSU came into Norman...and got run over by OU.

2007 was probably Stoops biggest game after a tough, unexplained loss. After the debacle at Colorado OU played Texas...who was 3-1 at the time...and the Sooners won 28-21.

The 2003 title game is another one...but at least we were in the title game still after the loss to K-State and had a month or more to get past it. The goal was still attainable. Our own destiny was in control.

2002 we lost our last regular season game at OSU, but still found ourselves in the Big 12 title game the next week against Colorado...winning in Houston.

Looking back at the Switzer years, it was CRAZY how many times a loss was followed up by Iowa State, Kansas or Kansas State...he never seemed to have back to back big games, especially the second game coming after a loss.

Huge challenge for the Sooners this week...if we can't get over the loss just due to the respect we better pay K-State and their unbeaten record, their running game, the hard hitting defense and a crowd that could make it real hard for Landry to call out plays to every play on every play(ugh...that is when I HATE the no huddle), we will not be worrying about ways we can get back into the race for anything. Do or die with an incredibly tough challenge after a loss.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 01:54 PM
This is the biggest game we've had coming off of a loss (since the 03 title game). Playing a top 10 team, on the road, in conference.

Interestingly, I looked and discovered that other than the '03 CCG and title game, OU hasn't lost back-to-back games since Stoops first year (Notre Dame and Texas).

jumperstop
10/26/2011, 02:01 PM
This is the biggest game we've had coming off of a loss (since the 03 title game). Playing a top 10 team, on the road, in conference.

Interestingly, I looked and discovered that other than the '03 CCG and title game, OU hasn't lost back-to-back games since Stoops first year (Notre Dame and Texas).

Interesting fact that I did not know. So Stoops has never lost back to back conference games.

We should come and win if we play like we're supposed to. Maybe I'm being over confident because that's what I thought before the Tech game. I do like the fact that it's a 2:30 kickoff though.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 02:03 PM
Interesting fact that I did not know. So Stoops has never lost back to back conference games.

We should come and win if we play like we're supposed to. Maybe I'm being over confident because that's what I thought before the Tech game. I do like the fact that it's a 2:30 kickoff though.

I was actually surprised to learn that too. I also happen to think that we will come out pissed off, at least I hope so...and that doesn't bode well for the Cats.

Okie35
10/26/2011, 02:03 PM

Nope, I brought this up last year when the whorns were failing.

The Maestro
10/26/2011, 02:43 PM
I was actually surprised to learn that too. I also happen to think that we will come out pissed off, at least I hope so...and that doesn't bode well for the Cats.

I wish we came out pissed off every game...realizing the other team was trying to ruin our hopes and dreams of a national title.

More Torrance and Ontei...less thanking god for wins.

jumperstop
10/26/2011, 02:48 PM
I wish we came out pissed off every game...realizing the other team was trying to ruin our hopes and dreams of a national title.

They can thank god for the wins, just remember to curse him after the losses then :)

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 03:53 PM

Yeah, me too! I know it's hard to "get up" for every game, but if you can't, then you make it really hard to compete for a title.

rekamrettuB
10/26/2011, 04:00 PM

Well USC '04 and TCU '05 were back to back with an offseason in between.

jumperstop
10/26/2011, 04:03 PM

Doesn't count...and I don't remember a game in 04 against USC...

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2011, 04:12 PM

Across seasons are different teams. And in this case, VERY different teams.

VA Sooner
10/26/2011, 04:13 PM
Hoping that the loss pumps the team up and they play with a vengeance like they should. Looking forward to see what kind of team shows up on the field Saturday.

But I know that Stoops and Co. will have everyone ready to play this weekend.