PDA

View Full Version : brent v top coordinator

lasooner123
10/26/2011, 09:01 AM
ready for a head coaching job....http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/blog?name=mcgee_ncf_ryan&id=7147745&_slug_=gus-malzahn-brent-venables-top-head-coaching-candidates-cfb&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcol lege-football%2fblog%3fname%3dmcgee_ncf_ryan%26id%3d714 7745%26_slug_%3dgus-malzahn-brent-venables-top-head-coaching-candidates-cfb

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2011, 11:11 AM
That would be great for him!

soonercastor
10/26/2011, 11:16 AM
That would be great for us!

:encouragement:

soonermix
10/26/2011, 11:19 AM
i for one am tired of all the fire brent venables threads and posts. mostly because they have not worked.
so i now propose a HIRE brent venables thread. lets get the guy a head coaching job (mostly to get rid of him) but this way seems nicer.

TUSooner
10/26/2011, 12:05 PM
HIRE BRENT VENABLES! (Just get him out of here!)

Is that what you had in mind?

TUSooner
10/26/2011, 12:08 PM
i for one am tired of all the fire brent venables threads and posts. mostly because they have not worked.
so i now propose a HIRE brent venables thread. lets get the guy a head coaching job (mostly to get rid of him) but this way seems nicer.

Well, there is that "principle" that you rise to your level of incomptence. That is, you keep getting promoted until you get into a job you don't do well, which is when people stop looking to hire or promote you. I was afraid BV had reached his level and that he would no longer move up but would stay here and run our "meh" defense forever.

Mississippi Sooner
10/26/2011, 12:20 PM
Well, there is that "principle" that you rise to your level of incomptence. That is, you keep getting promoted until you get into a job you don't do well, which is when people stop looking to hire or promote you. I was afraid BV had reached his level and that he would no longer move up but would stay here and run our "meh" defense forever.

And that "principle" is called what? :biggrin:

CarolinaSoonerFan
10/26/2011, 12:28 PM
I just posted his resume on Monster for Coaches

soonercoop1
10/26/2011, 03:32 PM
I agree he is ready and the sooner the better...

Curly Bill
10/27/2011, 07:31 AM
I approve of this thread. :encouragement:

cleller
10/27/2011, 08:06 AM
It worked for Chuck Long.

You know the old "careful what you wish for" routine. In the past, I've had the position that BV was better than an unknown.

Now, if he were to be hired away, I'd jump both feet into getting Mike Stoops back. Don't care what happened in Arizona, until he's back again most of us will be slowly dying with "what might have been" disease.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2011, 09:50 AM
Really? Again?

So some of you dummies got your wish and Wilson is gone and golden boy got elevated.

How's that working out for you?

soonerboy_odanorth
10/27/2011, 09:58 AM
And let me clarify... that's not to say Huepel is a bad OC, so far. But he is young, inexperienced (relatively), and it is foolish to have thought there wouldn't be growing pains.

Point being, this season it didn't help us, AT ALL, to have Wilson move on. And frankly, once again, OC of the all time modern scoring machine wasn't nearly as bad as some of you continue to want to paint. Sure, you keep pointing at the inability to pound the rock in the last couple of years. In 2008 you do remember we had two 1,000 yard rushers? Or no...

Before you assume Vanables to be an anathema, again you would be foolish to assume his replacement will remedy all the ills of the defense.

goingoneight
10/27/2011, 10:01 AM
Anybody here willing to acknowledge that Venables was maybe the biggest part of OUr "glory days" success when Mike was here? Those two complimented eachother extremely well. Even then, we were still frequently embarrassed once or twice a year. See: OU-OSU 2002.
I would think that if Mike was just bursting with this so-called swagger all by his lonesome, he might have done something in 8 years at UA.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2011, 10:03 AM
^

NormanPride
10/27/2011, 10:15 AM
Meh. Losing a DC right now would not be fun. We have lots of talent and youth that needs consistency.

AlboSooner
10/27/2011, 10:27 AM
Yes, consistency. Regardless of the quality of the consistency, we need it. Year in and year out as long as we consistently get beat by teams who should not beat us, I am OK with that.

btb916
10/27/2011, 12:43 PM
And let me clarify... that's not to say Huepel is a bad OC, so far. But he is young, inexperienced (relatively), and it is foolish to have thought there wouldn't be growing pains.

Point being, this season it didn't help us, AT ALL, to have Wilson move on. And frankly, once again, OC of the all time modern scoring machine wasn't nearly as bad as some of you continue to want to paint. Sure, you keep pointing at the inability to pound the rock in the last couple of years. In 2008 you do remember we had two 1,000 yard rushers? Or no...

Before you assume Vanables to be an anathema, again you would be foolish to assume his replacement will remedy all the ills of the defense.

I agree with you.

Remember in 2009, when our offense struggled...it was our defense that was ranked #7 in points per game...it was our defense (with a little help from Winchester) that shut out the (OSU) aggies in humiliating fashion...it was our defense that was the backbone of the team...

Coach V isn't perfect, neither is Coach Stoops, neither was Sam Bradford...but he is a damn fine defensive coordinator

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, consistency. Regardless of the quality of the consistency, we need it. Year in and year out as long as we consistently get beat by teams who should not beat us, I am OK with that.

Hey albo, I've always felt this way but then I thought about this and see what you think...What teams do we play year in and year out that should beat us? Isn't every game a top team loses lost against someone that shouldn't beat them unless the other team is also a top team?

soonermix
10/27/2011, 02:00 PM

well i guess all i can say is that i don't believe that venables is getting it done.
it may be foolish, and i may be wishing for his return after about 2 plays with some new unknown guy in there.
but in my opinion there should be a change.

C&CDean
10/28/2011, 07:49 AM
We have a lot of stupid fans.

Curly Bill
10/28/2011, 07:51 AM
I'm ready to roll the dice on a new DC as well. We know what we have with BV and that's a good, but not great DC, that in two or so games a year is going to roll out a defense that doesn't appear to have a damn clue, and where he doesn't appear to have a clue how to fix it until it's too late.

That being said: Bob is loyal to a fault, so as long as he's here BV will be here, because Bob won't get rid of him, and no major college is going to hire BV as it's head coach.

Curly Bill
10/28/2011, 07:51 AM
We have a lot of stupid fans.

...and a lot of Kool Aid drinkers.

pphilfran
10/28/2011, 07:58 AM
"It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmys and Joes”

Curly Bill
10/28/2011, 07:59 AM
"It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmys and Joes”

It's both!

lexred
10/28/2011, 08:01 AM
I think that Brent V will get a chance to be a HC. I also think he will have problems when that happens. I was suspect about the D going into this season, but had hope after the FSU and Texas games. Turns out neither team is very good. The interior D line does not get any push at all. I have heard that the D scheme is for the interior D line to keep the O lineman off of the linebackers so they can make plays. Is that true?? We seem to have the ability to make an average opposing QB look like Joe Montana at least once a year. Is that lack of talent or BV.. I don't know, but KSU seems to shut folks down with a bunch of no names. Since BV came from KSU maybe it is something in the Norman drinking water.

C&CDean
10/28/2011, 11:19 AM
...and a lot of Kool Aid drinkers.

Kool Aid beats Stupid Hater Aid.

Curly Bill
10/28/2011, 02:34 PM
Kool Aid beats Stupid Hater Aid.

You tried too hard - what a baseball person might call a big swing and a miss. But let me ask ya this: do you take your Kool Aid with, or without, ice?

C&CDean
10/28/2011, 05:58 PM
And you suck at understanding football. We'll call it even.

AlbqSooner
10/28/2011, 07:51 PM
And that "principle" is called what? :biggrin:

Peter Principle. ywia

CrimsonRez
10/29/2011, 06:53 AM
Who do you think we would get as a defensive coordinator?

C&CDean
10/29/2011, 07:31 AM
Who do you think we would get as a defensive coordinator?

This is what the V haters ain't thinking about. "Anybody but V galdangit!!" Like I said, people are stupid.