PDA

View Full Version : GEORGE CUMBY - GREATNESS

PLaw
10/25/2011, 08:11 PM
George Cumby is SOONER GREATNESS and was one of my faves back in the day. He came to OU as a fullback from Clarendon, Texas. But after his first year, Switzer moved him to the other side of the ball and the rest, as they say, is history.

Also, Bob shows, yet again, that he is a class act in the likeness of Wilkinson.

BOOMER!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``

From The Oklahoman:

Former Sooner George Cumby rebuilding football program at Texas College
CATCHING UP — Former University of Oklahoma linebacker George Cumby has coached at the high school and college levels. He is in the early stages of a rebuilding project at Texas College.

BY SCOTT MUNN, Asst. Sports Editor, [email protected] Oklahoman 1
Published: October 25, 2011

George Cumby was a two-time All-America linebacker for Oklahoma. He remains third on the Sooners' all-time tackles chart with 437 over the 1977-79 seasons. The Green Bay Packers had two No. 1 picks in the 1980 NFL Draft; they first chose Penn State defensive end Bruce Clark and then Cumby. He started 66 of 92 games while playing six seasons with the Packers, one season with the Buffalo Bills and one year with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Former Sooner George Cumby rebuilding football program at Texas College At age 55 — and 24 years since he last suited up for an NFL team a— Cumby has coached at the high school and junior college levels in his native Texas. Last Saturday, Cumby was in Bethany with the Texas College football team. He is the Steers' head coach and in the first phase of a major rebuilding project. The NAIA school in Tyler fell to 0-8 after a 49-7 whipping from No. 21-ranked Southern Nazarene.

* Cumby said he has not attended an OU game in a couple of years. Although Saturday's game in Bethany ended a couple of hours before the Sooners' scheduled kickoff vs. Texas Tech on Owen Field, he helped load two charter buses for a trip home.

“I didn't think that one out,” Cumby said of making plans to watch OU play the Red Raiders in Norman. “That would've been nice to have some tickets to let these kids on my team watch the Sooners play.”

* Still, the Texas College entourage saw a sampling of the Sooner Nation's command post on Friday. Cumby and the team stopped in Norman and visited the Barry Switzer Center.

“We took a tour, and Coach Switzer came by and spoke to us. He talked to the kids about me when I played there. Then Coach Stoops, after they got off the practice field, he came over and shook the hand of every kid on my team. He talked to the kids — it was a good personal touch from him. Joe Washington came in right before we left and talked to some of the kids. It was just a really good experience for them.”

* Cumby said players often ask about his days as a Sooner or Packer.

“They've seen my pictures on the wall when I played, and they like to talk about that. You just live your life through them, let them see the type of person you are and what you stand for and what you expect. You treat them like young men, you respect them. In return, they'll do their best for you.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/former-sooner-george-cumby-rebuilding-football-program-at-texas-college/article/3616935#ixzz1bqTdWyXZ

MyT Oklahoma
10/25/2011, 08:37 PM
I love read about The King and Little Joe just being themselves. Thanks for sharing.

d.stOUgh
10/26/2011, 03:03 AM
The play that George Cumby made, that made him (to me) a Sooner Great, was...and i'm sorry I can't remember the game...he missed a tackle for loss of yards, missed another tackle further down field and finally made the tackle...he never gave up!

Anyone remember the game?

OUPadofski
10/26/2011, 09:11 AM
Just a little point of clarification, Cumby was from a small town near Tyler, TX, Kenny King was the fullback from Clarendon, TX.

pphilfran
10/26/2011, 09:32 AM
Just a little point of clarification, Cumby was from a small town near Tyler, TX, Kenny King was the fullback from Clarendon, TX.

Just another point of clarification...Cumby is said to have been born in Gorman, Tx which is WSW of DFW....he went to high school at TK Gorman High in Tyler...

A lot of different Gorman's involved...not sure if I am accurate...

btw Cumby is one of my all time favorite Sooners....

LePetomaine
10/26/2011, 12:31 PM
I'm looking at a football on my desk signed by three Heisman trophy winners, along with George Cumby, Coach Switzer, Joe Washington and a few others. For our scholarship fund in Houston we had many items signed to sell at auction. Coach Cumby could not have been more gracious or helpful to us, just a great guy. My only problem with him is, when I talk to him on the phone, he addresses me as "mister"; when he has every right to call me 'sonny' or 'sport' or something --he's George Cumby! Anyway, he really is a very good person.

CarolinaSoonerFan
10/26/2011, 12:34 PM
Dang, I wish I could have been around for that tour.

KantoSooner
10/26/2011, 01:01 PM
Those defenses were some of the toughest ever to don pads. Those and the ones of the mid-1980's were absolutely sick. Speed to burn and absolute maniacal hitting.

PLaw
10/26/2011, 01:02 PM

Correctomundo! At one time, I could almost name every starting line up from about '71 on. As the years have gone by, some of those facts get a little muddled. My bad and your very gracious clarification wins you the SOONER CLASS ACT of the Day award!

BOOMER