PDA

View Full Version : I just don't know what to say

landrun
10/25/2011, 06:32 PM
I was really upset about the loss Saturday. I've stayed away from the board for the most part.
Tonight I sit down to read some posts and I'm sort of shocked by all the Landry bashing.

If you blame the defense's performance on Landry, its about as logical as blaming Landry's pick on the defense. Not being so polite about it, that's pretty stupid.

This guy throws for 400+ yards and 5 TDs in an off night and you want to blame him for this loss???

I tell ya what, if OU had a decent defense this wouldn't have been close. I assure you if Bama or LSU score 38 points in any game this year, its a given win. Period.

The problem is on the other side of the ball and has been for a long time.

I remember when Stoops came here he mocked Blake and said something like, "If our defense is ranked #26 in the country, you won't see us bragging about it". Meaning the D before he arrived was pretty bad. Since that time we've landed a LOT better recurits and often our D can't break the top FIFTY!! Think about that.

Yet some people still want to blame the offense for our semi-annual defensive choke jobs!

I don't understand why the D keeps getting a pass by what seems to be the majority of OU fans. Landy? You really blame Landry!!???

Our D hasn't been able to defend the pass, especially over the middle, for a long time now. And yet, its these guys who give themself a nick-name, shave their heads, trash talk with no just reason. None.

The defense lost this game for us Saturday. They were totally exposed. They're really not that great. And no player on the defense is as good at their job as Landry is at his. Not one.

agoo758
10/25/2011, 06:42 PM
The problem me and a bunch of other people have with posts like this is that you imply that anyone who criticizes an aspect of the game only blames that aspect for the loss on saturday. No one criticizing the kicking blames only the kicking, no one criticizing landry blames just landry, and no one criticizing the defense blames just the defense, but that doesn't mean that they arn't problems in their own light. Why is that so difficult to understand?

BlownGP
10/25/2011, 06:57 PM
Stats wise, yeah Jones played great.

But like its been said before the past couple days.. The whole team played bad, O, D and special teams. Just all around bad.

Yeah, guys had drops, but jones throw passes to high, too god damn fast(whoa) and look at all the low pass. Hell finch is 4 ft tall and barley caught that one pass...

Everyone just seemed off and I know jones was panicking when we were down by 14 points fast, which I understand. Im not blaming nobody but just like its a whole team effort when they win. This was a whole team no effort, lol and they did it against the wrong team.

85sooners
10/25/2011, 07:31 PM
:stupid:

SoonerMarkVA
10/25/2011, 07:37 PM

But like its been said before the past couple days.. The whole team played bad, O, D and special teams. Just all around bad.

Yeah, guys had drops, but jones throw passes to high, too god damn fast(whoa) and look at all the low pass. Hell finch is 4 ft tall and barley caught that one pass...

Everyone just seemed off and I know jones was panicking when we were down by 14 points fast, which I understand. Im not blaming nobody but just like its a whole team effort when they win. This was a whole team no effort, lol and they did it against the wrong team.

Yup. That's it in a nutshell. Every last thing about that game stunk; there were no bright spots.

cleller
10/25/2011, 07:41 PM
No denying it was an off night all around. Hit a kick here, score there, it would all be different. The thing that can't be rationalized is the play of the defense. The worst performance of a defense since Stoops arrived (per KFOR).

It gets to me after all the "shark" stuff that was going on. It was all in fun, but a little less fun and more concentration might have averted the loss. Until they get back to forcing some 3 and outs, I'll think of them as The No Punt Defense.

Don't like the name? Make a play and get off the field.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 07:48 PM
To say LJ had an off night is not bashing. I highly suspect LJ would say he had an off night.

Only putting 7 on the board by the middle of the 3rd qtr. means the offense was not clicking - QB included. Putting up good stats after the deficit is 24 is too late.

The defense played poorly, but would have looked a lot better w/o all the 3 and outs by the offense.

It's a team game and this was a team loss any way you look at it.

We don't have Bama or LSU's defense even when they are playing well (and they have at times). So that's irrelevant for this season.

OUmillenium
10/25/2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah. It was fail in these areas...
Defense
FG kicking
Passing
Receiving
Ball Control
Coaching - Yes, coaching. When things are not going your way, it's time to shake something up before it gets to 31-7. In-game-adjustments matter...timely in-game-adjustments. Shouldn't take a whole half or 3 qtrs to figure things out.

lexred
10/25/2011, 07:59 PM
Landry Jones is a very good college QB. He had an "off night" as did the whole team. I really think having Whaley healthy would have helped. Even with Whaley our running game is suspect, but the "munchkin" backs cannot run inside consistantly. The D just took the night off so they should be well rested for KSU.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 08:11 PM
Landry Jones is a very good college QB. He had an "off night" as did the whole team. I really think having Whaley healthy would have helped. Even with Whaley our running game is suspect, but the "munchkin" backs cannot run inside consistantly. The D just took the night off so they should be well rested for KSU.

That's the spirit! Spek.

picasso
10/25/2011, 08:22 PM
I wonder how many games we would not have won had Landry Jones not been on campus the last few seasons.

AlboSooner
10/25/2011, 08:38 PM
On Thursday we will be on "we can win NC" mode again.
5 stages of grief....

btb916
10/25/2011, 11:26 PM
Who cares. Time to move on.

achiro
10/26/2011, 08:27 AM
I wonder how many games we would not have won had Landry Jones not been on campus the last few seasons.
Depends on who was playing QB if he weren't.

soonermix
10/26/2011, 08:34 AM

i can say with 100% certainty that we would have not have won as many games with me under center compared to Landry.

Mississippi Sooner
10/26/2011, 08:37 AM

That made me chuckle a little.

jkjsooner
10/26/2011, 08:40 AM
The problem me and a bunch of other people have with posts like this is that you imply that anyone who criticizes an aspect of the game only blames that aspect for the loss on saturday. No one criticizing the kicking blames only the kicking, no one criticizing landry blames just landry, and no one criticizing the defense blames just the defense, but that doesn't mean that they arn't problems in their own light. Why is that so difficult to understand?

^ This

soonervegas
10/26/2011, 08:51 AM
I blame myself for actually caring what 18-21 yr old kids do. If I take it for anymore than idol entertainment going forward.....then shame on me.

BigTip
10/26/2011, 09:16 AM
I blame myself for actually caring what 18-21 yr old kids do. If I take it for anymore than idol entertainment going forward.....then shame on me.
gawd damn, ain't that the truth!

Easier said than done though.

soonervegas
10/26/2011, 09:33 AM
gawd damn, ain't that the truth!

Easier said than done though.

So true.

OU GENO
10/26/2011, 11:33 AM
Offense gave us 38 points defense gave up 41 points! I know who I blame! Can you say defense?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2011, 11:39 AM
Right..Because 3 and outs against a not-so-great defense like TT and putting this defense back on the field without even an opportunity to catch their breath and go over assignments with coaches had nothing to do with it.

Everyone had a hand in it that played or coached...Everyone. Jones was a big part of the comeback..He was also a big part of only having 7 points at the half and doing nothing in the 2nd quarter...But let's just think about the end of the game.

OU GENO
10/26/2011, 12:22 PM
Yes I do think about the end of the game and final score! What do you think about how many points we scored or how many we gave up? The offense scores alot in blowout games and the defense is on the field most of the times so you they are not in condition or don't know what to do? I love OU but I know if you score more points and you let the other team score more who is at fault?

The Maestro
10/26/2011, 12:46 PM
Bob Stoops himself said Landry was off. And he was early. What he DID do that the defense DID not do...is rally!

Landry came to life. When we pulled to within 31-24 on the first play of the fourth quarter, we were back in the game. And then the defense gave up 10 more points...and that sucked. Landry's off night < defenses off night.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/26/2011, 12:52 PM
I remember when Stoops came here he mocked Blake and said something like, "If our defense is ranked #26 in the country, you won't see us bragging about it". Meaning the D before he arrived was pretty bad. Since that time we've landed a LOT better recurits and often our D can't break the top FIFTY!! Think about that.

This was in response to a reporter asking why he didn't keep Rex Ryan on staff even though we had a pretty decent defense. If I recall correctly he went on to talk about he was more concerned about scoring defense than what a defense was ranked as far as yards allowed.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2011, 12:59 PM
Yes I do think about the end of the game and final score! What do you think about how many points we scored or how many we gave up? The offense scores alot in blowout games and the defense is on the field most of the times so you they are not in condition or don't know what to do? I love OU but I know if you score more points and you let the other team score more who is at fault?

So was the OU defense responsible for the 7 points and the 0 first downs in the 2nd quarter?

1 plays, 29 yards, TOP 00:11
3 plays, 6 yards, TOP 01:07
3 plays, 5 yards, TOP 01:17
3 plays, 0 yards, TOP 00:23

That was that Sooner O that had no responsibility in this loss..

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2011, 01:02 PM
Bob Stoops himself said Landry was off. And he was early. What he DID do that the defense DID not do...is rally!

Landry came to life. When we pulled to within 31-24 on the first play of the fourth quarter, we were back in the game. And then the defense gave up 10 more points...and that sucked. Landry's off night < defenses off night.

We scored 17 straight to go from 31-7 to 31-24. That implies the defense did it's job during that stretch, so they were part of the rally. Then they got another stop, so the offense had the ball down 1 score with 10min to go. The offense had a 3 and out, then the defense gave up a score - so both units contributed. Sure, it would have been great if the defense could have responded with our own 3 and out, but they didn't. I think that was the drive with the 2 perfect passes against Hurst - great plays, IMO. I was very disappointed we didn't go for it on 4th down with 10min to go, but you could argue it both ways. I just felt the 3 and out was going to kill us there.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2011, 01:03 PM
Landry did get this team back in it..Guess what, tech scored 10 points in the second half also against this defense...

The Maestro
10/26/2011, 01:28 PM
We scored 17 straight to go from 31-7 to 31-24. That implies the defense did it's job during that stretch, so they were part of the rally. Then they got another stop, so the offense had the ball down 1 score with 10min to go. The offense had a 3 and out, then the defense gave up a score - so both units contributed. Sure, it would have been great if the defense could have responded with our own 3 and out, but they didn't. I think that was the drive with the 2 perfect passes against Hurst - great plays, IMO. I was very disappointed we didn't go for it on 4th down with 10min to go, but you could argue it both ways. I just felt the 3 and out was going to kill us there.

Good point. Hell, we lost...doesn't matter how much blame we pass around. It's a team game so it's a team loss.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2011, 01:30 PM
Exactly..It's about time for someone to blame it all on the kicker now...

PLaw
10/26/2011, 04:59 PM
Shake it off.

Suck it up.

And go beat the hell out of KSU, TAMU, OSU, BAYLOR, and ISU.

SOONER BORN
SOONER BRED
WHEN I DIE, I'LL BE SOONER DEAD

BOOMER

landrun
10/26/2011, 09:57 PM
Heh... I guess next time we lose a game 3-0 I'll blame the defense for giving up the 3???

Point is, Landry and the offense did their job well enough to win any game we play by putting up 38 points. The defense sucked .... again.