PDA

View Full Version : Is Obama a closet war monger?

cleller
10/25/2011, 06:04 PM
I've read recently that alot of the top military brass are pretty concerned about pulling almost all our forces from Iraq. As one pointed out, we have 28,000 troops in Korea, is that area more in need or US presence than the Persian Gulf?
Anyway, it occurred to me this could be part of a larger strategy. We pull out of Iraq, Americans like it. Iran loves it. Americans reelect Obama.
Iran gets its Hitler balls, and starts pushing Iraq around. Then, a just re-elected Obama gets to go after that Nuke loving Akman-Dinnerjob.

Slightly brilliant.

King Barry's Back
10/25/2011, 08:53 PM
It's pretty clear based on my posts that I am a pretty far right-of-center Republican who has major disagreements with Mr Obama.

And on this board I try to keep my arguments based more on fact that pure opinion.

But the only reply I can give to your theory that the Iraq withdrawal is a prelude to US-led regime change in Iran is that it is extremely unlikely.

Nobody and I mean nobody wants to have any kind of military engagement with Iran. They are so strong and so powerful militarily and economically in the region that a military confrontation with them would be rife with uncertextrmely high risk, and the Iranians have the capability to strike US allies and US interests across the regions and far abroad -- including in Europe and at least the ability to attempt strikes at the US homeland. Even if such attacks were only for propaganda value, that would dramatically alter the cost-benefit analysis of a decision maker considering attacks against Iran.

Also, please consider that the BEST staging area and stepping off point for any military action against Iran would be Iraq itself - where we are withdrawing from.

Finally, the action in Libya pretty well defines what Obama's military preferences are, and that is clearly to minimize US involvement and to 'lead from behind.'

I think the withdrawal from Iraq is a blunder of vast proportions. Our long-term plan was to base less than 5000 troops there in a training mission, which would have been much less dangerous and much less controversial world-wide than our previous mission sets there. And these troops could have been protected from the Iraqi legal system through several less onerous provisions than forcing a full Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) on Baghdad.

But that is a separate issue.

So, no, this is not pretext for invading Iran.

cleller
10/25/2011, 09:00 PM
Maybe I'm too convincing. I don't think for a minute Obama has the stomach to go after Iran, despite the fact they are going to be the mostly terrifying regime on the planet soon.
He's bent on getting us out of Iraq, regardless of the consequences, I think. Whether we should have ever gone in is another debate. Right now, we're gonna scram, and the whole region may destabilize as a result. For now, he can say "I got us out". When all hell breaks loose, he can say "wasn't my deal".

AlboSooner
10/25/2011, 11:36 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/kn/3g/aluminum-foil-hat-200X200.jpg
Reading this intensively.

KantoSooner
10/26/2011, 04:51 PM
King Barry,
Go read your Janes. Iran's military is a classic infantry heavy force, with heavy reliance on irregular units. It is virtually unsupported by air forces OR armor and relies on unarmored trucks for transport. It's primary defense from air attack is shoulder fired missiles, some concentrated, but unlinked SAM sites and Vietnam era Soviet multi-barrel (ZSU33? I forget) AA guns.

Secondly, their economy is a shambles and near collapse. They are not a viable threat to anyone absent their ability to influence/buy terrorist groups such as Hamas.

Hell, Pakistan is a gleaming success story compared to Iran (at the moment. If the Iranians could ditch the religion addiction (a la the Turks under Ataturk), they've got the tools to be a very successful, cool nation. If. )
In short, this army is exactly the sort of army the US is designed and perfectly equipped to annihilate.
Their one strong point is that they would enjoy strong popular support. And we're not prepared to go Genghiz Khan and simply depopulate the place.
Otherwise? Their military is forced into guerilla war within the first 3-5 days of any ground conflict with us that we initiate.