PDA

View Full Version : Coaching change?

Sooner11JK
10/25/2011, 05:23 PM
Heard Tadlock is gone? Anyone else hearing this?

IndySooner
10/25/2011, 05:25 PM
Just posted the same. Wondering if we're hearing it from the same person.

IndySooner
10/26/2011, 12:51 AM
Well, as everyone's probably seen, we had good info. Tadlock is indeed gone. Huge loss. We'll see pretty quickly whether Tadlock is as important to this program as everyone says he is. My guess is that this REALLY hurts Sunny.

jadubya
10/31/2011, 12:09 PM
Well, as everyone's probably seen, we had good info. Tadlock is indeed gone. Huge loss. We'll see pretty quickly whether Tadlock is as important to this program as everyone says he is. My guess is that this REALLY hurts Sunny.

Devastating IMO. The Tech coach is the same age as Tadlock and has only been around 4 seasons. This smacks of "get me the heck out of here right now".....since their seems to be no clear succession plan at Tech. However, you could do alot worse than $190k as the Asst. Head Baseball Coach.

This will not end well for OU. Tadlock WAS the source of our recruiting victories over the last 4 years. Shocked at the timing and will try to get some backstory.

TumbleweedDoom
10/31/2011, 01:50 PM
Well, it does more than double his salary and also returns him to his alma mater. Not saying it wasn't a case that he wasn't trying to "get the heck out" as was said, but this wasn't the sideways move it appears at first glance when you take into account the salary and his ties there.

Personally, I hope this ends some of the drama on the team ...

jadubya
10/31/2011, 03:52 PM
Well, it does more than double his salary and also returns him to his alma mater. Not saying it wasn't a case that he wasn't trying to "get the heck out" as was said, but this wasn't the sideways move it appears at first glance when you take into account the salary and his ties there.

Personally, I hope this ends some of the drama on the team ...

Let me walk back my initial comments just a bit.....specifically the "this does not end well" remark....I believe that we can/will go out and find a great coach to replace Tadlock. However, he was a huge asset to this program and that task will be daunting.

I don't know if it doubled his salary.....but it was no less than a 50% bump.....which is nothing to sneeze at. I suppose that I would "get the heck out right now" if offered similar comp.. I think this group has the potential to be pretty good.....if we can excorcise the demons from last year.

oldtimer
10/31/2011, 09:06 PM
Tadlock’s departure will leave a huge hole in the armor of OU baseball. His presence and demeanor was the KEY to the recruiting success OU has had since he arrived. His most important role was being the OU hitting coach, the statistics don’t lie. Sooner hitters topped .300 plus every season he coached – that’s a fact not a coincidence. Tadlock made high school and JUCO hitters better. I wouldn’t put a high wager on the Big 12 series with Tech this year either. Who knows better than Tadlock where our hitters’ weaknesses are?

Tadlock was not nor as he ever been a pitching coach. Not at Hill, not at Grayson. SG making him the pitching coach (upon Bell’s departure) was not a step forward and certainly wasn’t Tadlock’s choice. Tadlock was really looking for a head coaching gig. U of Houston came calling a while back, but living in Houston wouldn’t work for him or his family. After a few months thinking about it, I think Tadlock make a "get away" back to his alma matter and for 50% more money… I heard SG took the news pretty badly and wouldn’t let Tadlock formally say goodbye to the team in its entirety. Makes one just want to shake your head…

The so-called drama last year wasn’t created by the starting 9 or 10 players on the field last year. If you listened closely to our Captain catcher's radio interview, Ogle’s comments referenced support players (i.e. non-starters who thought they should be playing and complaining). Like it or not we’ve got many of those same players back in 2012. I don't balme Drama for killing our playoff chances last spring. The ’11 OU team fell into the same funk at the end of the season as did the 2011 Braves and Red Sox. Wonder if the Sox had any coaches who like to hunt and fish... ha ha

SG’s chances of finding a quality pitching coach at the D1 level at this time of year will be extremely tough. Guess I'm a glass half empty guy. My hopes are he doesn’t pick an inexperienced coach just to fill the position. We need a coach who can teach pitching and deal with SG’s bi-polar personality. The 2012 team has a lot of challenges to face with less experienced coaches and 50% new players. I'll have my fingers crossed for Good Luck.

Breadburner
10/31/2011, 11:08 PM
I think Dennis Martinez is available......

IndySooner
11/1/2011, 07:43 AM
Tadlock’s departure will leave a huge hole in the armor of OU baseball. His presence and demeanor was the KEY to the recruiting success OU has had since he arrived. His most important role was being the OU hitting coach, the statistics don’t lie. Sooner hitters topped .300 plus every season he coached – that’s a fact not a coincidence. Tadlock made high school and JUCO hitters better. I wouldn’t put a high wager on the Big 12 series with Tech this year either. Who knows better than Tadlock where our hitters’ weaknesses are?

Tadlock was not nor as he ever been a pitching coach. Not at Hill, not at Grayson. SG making him the pitching coach (upon Bell’s departure) was not a step forward and certainly wasn’t Tadlock’s choice. Tadlock was really looking for a head coaching gig. U of Houston came calling a while back, but living in Houston wouldn’t work for him or his family. After a few months thinking about it, I think Tadlock make a "get away" back to his alma matter and for 50% more money… I heard SG took the news pretty badly and wouldn’t let Tadlock formally say goodbye to the team in its entirety. Makes one just want to shake your head…

The so-called drama last year wasn’t created by the starting 9 or 10 players on the field last year. If you listened closely to our Captain catcher's radio interview, Ogle’s comments referenced support players (i.e. non-starters who thought they should be playing and complaining). Like it or not we’ve got many of those same players back in 2012. I don't balme Drama for killing our playoff chances last spring. The ’11 OU team fell into the same funk at the end of the season as did the 2011 Braves and Red Sox. Wonder if the Sox had any coaches who like to hunt and fish... ha ha

SG’s chances of finding a quality pitching coach at the D1 level at this time of year will be extremely tough. Guess I'm a glass half empty guy. My hopes are he doesn’t pick an inexperienced coach just to fill the position. We need a coach who can teach pitching and deal with SG’s bi-polar personality. The 2012 team has a lot of challenges to face with less experienced coaches and 50% new players. I'll have my fingers crossed for Good Luck.

I have talked to a LOT of people about this very issue and the only ones who think Sunny was wrong not letting Tadlock address the team are Tadlock's friends. There's ZERO chance I would have done that differently. He's headed to a competitor. Also, there are kids that are loyal to him. There needs to be a clean break.

Sooner11JK
11/1/2011, 01:05 PM
I have no issue with him being denied the opportunity to address the team. The timing combined with the institution and the position he is leaving for both justify Sunny's action. If he had left in, say, June for a head coaching job anywhere, then there might be some justified complaining. Or if he'd left in August, for an assistant coaching job at, say South Carolina, then things are different. However, leaving for Tech to take an assistant coaching position, no matter the reason, in the midst of fall practices...... Sunny's stance is okay by me.

rysooner
11/2/2011, 10:16 AM
I have no issue with him being denied the opportunity to address the team. The timing combined with the institution and the position he is leaving for both justify Sunny's action. If he had left in, say, June for a head coaching job anywhere, then there might be some justified complaining. Or if he'd left in August, for an assistant coaching job at, say South Carolina, then things are different. However, leaving for Tech to take an assistant coaching position, no matter the reason, in the midst of fall practices...... Sunny's stance is okay by me.

:encouragement:

TumbleweedDoom
11/2/2011, 11:16 AM
It was horribly presumptuous for him to EXPECT to talk to the team. Dating back to when Bill Frieder took a job at San Diego State and Bo Shembechler refused to let him address the Michigan team he was leaving, coaches have been refused this privilege time and time again when abandoning a team in mid-stream like this. Tadlock is no different.