PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have Another Team You Like?

CrimsonRez
10/25/2011, 04:17 PM
Is a question that I get asked a lot. I for one do not have another college team that I like as much as I do OU. There are teams that I don't mind cheering for every now and then. But nobody that I will put on a shirt or jersey for besides OU. Do you guys feel the same way?

Lott's Bandana
10/25/2011, 04:17 PM
Service Academies...kinda.

CrimsonRez
10/25/2011, 04:19 PM
Well the only service academy I'll cheer for is West Point. But we all know how they're doing.

8timechamps
10/25/2011, 04:20 PM
I'll never be a fan of another college football program, but if there is another team I follow, it's Air Force.

SoonerStud615
10/25/2011, 04:20 PM
I have a ton of different colleges t-shirts. I love college logos and so wherever I go, I try to get a shirt from a college there. My most recent pick up is Hawaii, but I also wear my Cal, Baylor, Georgetown, UTEP and Drexel shirts a lot.

As for programs, none specifically, but I usually find myself pulling for underdogs or OOC teams we have played that I gained respect for.

badger
10/25/2011, 04:22 PM
For the sake of my Wisconsin relatives, I don't mind seeing the Badgers do well. Alas, it was not a good weekend for either of "my" teams.

CrimsonRez
10/25/2011, 04:22 PM
^ if you knew anybody that went to UTEP you wouldn't wear that shirt lmao. I'm stationed there in El Paso and those people are more disillusioned than anybody on earth.

fadada1
10/25/2011, 04:27 PM
Grew up a Penn State fan, as both parents/families are from State College and surrounding areas. Grad school at UF - have started watching them again - not a fan of Tebow the Savior.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2011, 04:28 PM
I like to watch any team that runs the option..

LRoss
10/25/2011, 04:29 PM
South Dakota and New Hampshire.

So basically there's no conflict with OU allegiance, and, in effect, I would answer "No."

Mad Dog Madsen
10/25/2011, 04:30 PM
East Popcorn State.

BillyBall
10/25/2011, 04:33 PM
I got my MBA at New Mexico but watching their football team is like watching a **** poor special olympics football team.

I really only pay attention to their b-ball team.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/25/2011, 04:36 PM
But no seriously, I've always been a fan of the Nittany Lions of Penn State. I've always liked JoePa for some reason. I don't know why though...

fadada1
10/25/2011, 04:40 PM
But no seriously, I've always been a fan of the Nittany Lions of Penn State. I've always liked JoePa for some reason. I don't know why though...
JoePa is what's great about college football. although, i think he's been dead for 10 years or so. they have him tied to 2 redshirt freshman and parade him around the stadium on gamedays - see Weekend at Bernie's for reference.

toast
10/25/2011, 04:44 PM
there are just a few teams I don't like...but I'm a college football junkie.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2011, 04:44 PM
Is a question that I get asked a lot. I for one do not have another college team that I like as much as I do OU. There are teams that I don't mind cheering for every now and then. But nobody that I will put on a shirt or jersey for besides OU. Do you guys feel the same way?

Yes, it's OU.

DCsooner22
10/25/2011, 04:56 PM
Since 1985 (well, technically January 1, 1986), my second favorite team is Tennessee.

rekamrettuB
10/25/2011, 05:13 PM
University of Phoenix.....you think OU's loss at home last weekend was bad, they haven't won a game yet in their own stadium.

lasooner123
10/25/2011, 05:16 PM
stanford

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 05:17 PM
Heck yes! It's Stanford. They are red and white and undefeated and highly ranked. In fact, I'm switching now - see you losers later!

CrimsonRez
10/25/2011, 05:47 PM
^ lol I didn't mean we should have a mutiny I was just asking a question I was asked the other day.

OhU1
10/25/2011, 05:48 PM
This will not be a popular answer here - OSU. I root for the aggies except when they play us.

My dad and several family members are OSU grads. I always looked at OSU as OU's little brother that envies us. I'm for anything Oklahoma and always root for an Oklahoma affiliated team against anyone else.

CowboyMRW
10/25/2011, 05:58 PM
I don't mind cheering for OU.

I know this won't go well but I've enjoyed USC, Oregon, LSU, and I loved West Virginia with Pat White and Steve Slaton. These are all teams that while I won't go out of my way to watch and root for, I don't mind cheering for them when they're playing.

CrimsonRez
10/25/2011, 06:00 PM
^ Yeah that's how I am, I don't hold grudges against schools like most people do. Boise State wouldn't be bad except they are pumped up every year and it's annoying as hell. I hated Tim Tebow when he was in college but now since he isn't talked about AS MUCH he doesn't seem so bad anymore.

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 06:06 PM
I like seeing Tulsa win, even though I hate the city. Something about the smallest undergrad enrollment in the FBS winning 10 games a year several times is just awesome, plus they're an Oklahoma school.

I've liked Washington since the Marques Tuiasosopo days; man, they were fun to watch then. I also like Washington State, which is kinda weird. I just like the Pacific Northwest in general.

Tulane has risen up my list recently because I had a blast in New Orleans and adding them to the Big 12 would give me a good excuse to go back.

Johnny Utah
10/25/2011, 06:16 PM
Stanford, because my dad's an alum and I was born while he was still in school there, as well as the service academies.

PalmettoSooner
10/25/2011, 06:24 PM
South Carolina Gamecocks. I'm from and live in South Carolina and pretty much grew up as a Gamecock fan. Also being in the Army, I pull for Army.

GoOwls
10/25/2011, 06:25 PM
The Rice University Owl football team, as a knock-on of attending.

And.... GOOD LORD IT'S PAINFUL

Frozen Sooner
10/25/2011, 06:32 PM
Alabama, for obvious reasons to the left.

I usually pull for UW.

I don't root for either if it's against OU's interests.

aj44mc
10/25/2011, 06:33 PM
I am an Arizona State grad so I follow them and attend a few games when I can.

sooner ngintunr
10/25/2011, 06:33 PM
I wear a blue Tulsa shirt when I go their games. Maybe an ORU shirt to their baseball games, don't go much to either anymore though.

agoo758
10/25/2011, 06:34 PM
UL lafayette and William and Mary

GDC
10/25/2011, 07:15 PM
^ if you knew anybody that went to UTEP you wouldn't wear that shirt lmao. I'm stationed there in El Paso and those people are more disillusioned than anybody on earth.

This lame generalization requires some explanation. Briefly being posted at Bliss doesn't qualify one as an expert on El Paso, or El Pasoans.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2011, 07:29 PM
I have some clear rules for determining who I root for:

#1. Baylor over everyone else, every time, no exceptions.
#2. OU over everyone else, every time, except for when it conflicts with rule #1
#3. Any Oklahoma team over any Texas team except when it conflicts with rule #1
#4. Any team from a southern state over a yankee state except when it conflicts with rule #5
#5. Everyone over Aggie, every time, no exceptions

OU Adonis
10/25/2011, 07:33 PM
GA Tech and Air Force.

soonerman4life
10/25/2011, 07:45 PM
One of'em for me has to be Air Force. Does anyone remember, I think in Sept, 2010, when Air Force came to Norman and did the fly over? The fly boys came on to the field, unzipped their jumpsuits, and displayed upside down burnt orange horns. That alone put AF in my top tier for sure.

OUmillenium
10/25/2011, 07:58 PM
1. Whoever is playing Texass
2. LSU - although 2003 was painful. Not a Les Miles fan either, so very hard to pull for them now. They need to go into a tailspin, fire Les and hire Leach/Mike Stoops/Mangino or somebody else I like.
3. I usually find myself pulling for these teams consistently...
TCU, ULL Ragin Cajuns, Alabama, Tulsa, Houston

oudavid1
10/25/2011, 08:02 PM
Hell yes.

http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20110701/tennessee-vols-fdn.jpg

And since I know the orange bothers some...

http://www.tailgatelot.com/storage/post-images/tennessee-vols-tailgate-girls.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1278802280995

GO VOLS!!!!

PLaw
10/25/2011, 08:27 PM
This will not be a popular answer here - OSU. I root for the aggies except when they play us.

My dad and several family members are OSU grads. I always looked at OSU as OU's little brother that envies us. I'm for anything Oklahoma and always root for an Oklahoma affiliated team against anyone else.

I'm right there with you - I'm for all things OKLAHOMA. I only support OU, but will root for OSU and Tulsa when they aren't lined up against us.

Now, here's the hard part - true confession - 4th gen Okie, but got transplanted to West Texas at very early age thanks to Warren Petroleum Co. Grew up in the Permian Basin and Southeastern NM, finishing HS in the Texas panhandle. In state tuition at Tech was affordable for my family, out of state to OU was not. So, yes, I also root for TTU when they aren't playing OU.

BOOMER

BeaSooner
10/25/2011, 08:57 PM
Georgia, Michigan State, Arkansas, Slippery Rock U, East Handkerchief State

reevie
10/25/2011, 09:02 PM
My wife is a TCU alum, so I keep tabs on the Frogs.

I love college football, so I can watch most any game that's on. I don't have a "second favorite" team though.

opksooner
10/25/2011, 09:14 PM
"Here's a halftime score: Slippery Rock 10........."

salth2o
10/25/2011, 09:16 PM
OU gear only. No other team that I follow religiously.

I also cheer for whoever is playing Boise St, ND, tO$U, & SUC. If any of these teams play each other I pray for a tie.

I love cfb and watch any game that is on.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2011, 09:18 PM
OU gear only. No other team that I follow religiously.

I also cheer for whoever is playing Boise St, ND, tO$U, & SUC. If any of these teams play each other I pray for a tie.

I love cfb and watch any game that is on.

I should amend my statement by saying that, although I love OU, I will never ever wear any college apparel but Baylor.

BeaSooner
10/25/2011, 09:31 PM
I forgot about Nebraska. Can't help but like them.

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 10:14 PM
Really? I see no reason to like Nebraska.

salth2o
10/25/2011, 10:27 PM
Really? I see no reason to like Nebraska.

effin hillbilly!

PLaw
10/26/2011, 07:09 AM
"Here's a halftime score: Slippery Rock 10........."

Yeah, back in the day we always laid a quarter on the Rock and Holy Cross. It seemed there was always a line for their games.

BOOMER

pphilfran
10/26/2011, 08:52 AM
Go Frogs...

BigTip
10/26/2011, 09:04 AM
The Rice University Owl football team, as a knock-on of attending.

And.... GOOD LORD IT'S PAINFUL

lol, I feel your pain. I went to Cornell, so I root for them of course. They'll be on TV every now and then. They played Yale in the Yale Bowl a few weeks ago. That stadium was jammed packed at least a third full of people. lol

Going to school there was such a football cultural shock. At least I can always cheer for The Big Red no matter which of my teams are playing.

ouflak
10/26/2011, 09:21 AM
Came this close to attending FSU and had lots of good friends who did, so I'll always probably root for those guys when they're not playing my sooners. I also seriously considered attending UCLA and Michigan, and had actually attended a couple of Auburn games back when I was in high school, so there will always be a soft place in my heart for those teams as well.

CarolinaSoonerFan
10/26/2011, 12:42 PM
Tulsa,

Craighead15
10/26/2011, 01:29 PM
Tulsa, the service academies (in order Navy, AF, Army), and Harvard (had to put an Ivy League school in there)

Frozen Sooner
10/26/2011, 01:30 PM
had actually attended a couple of Auburn games back when I was in high school, so there will always be a soft place in my heart for those teams as well.

Dead
To
Me

Frozen Sooner
10/26/2011, 01:32 PM
Hell yes.

http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20110701/tennessee-vols-fdn.jpg

And since I know the orange bothers some...

http://www.tailgatelot.com/storage/post-images/tennessee-vols-tailgate-girls.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1278802280995

GO VOLS!!!!

Being Vols, I'm sure they all have syphilis. Which they got from their fathers.

No true Sooner could ever root for something wearing orange, particularly one that calls itself UT. I thoroughly enjoyed watching a team in crimson beat the tar out of them on Saturday.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 01:39 PM

No true Sooner could ever root for something wearing orange, particularly one that calls itself UT. I thoroughly enjoyed watching a team in crimson beat the tar out of them on Saturday.

I lived in Knoxville for the first 7 years of life, and both of my parents are UT grads...have tons of family in Knoxville and surrounding areas, and I still can't root for them. I don't hate 'em, but certainly don't love 'em. I think it's the correlation with texas.

Nonetheless, Neyland Stadium is pretty amazing on gameday.

Okie35
10/26/2011, 01:46 PM
No not for football. Basketball is Arizona. I didn't start liking college basketball until the early 90s.

TUSooner
10/26/2011, 02:22 PM
Tulane, the TU in my name. Although it's debatable whether they actually have a football program on any given week. They suck to the point of being contemptible, and they play in an empty Superdome which makes it especially sad.

Other than that, I pull for any team from Oklahoma, and yes, that includes oSu.

But I guess my second favorite team is whoever plays LSU.

Oh yeah, I like Navy, too.

Sooner Among The Pack
10/26/2011, 02:29 PM
NC State, hence the Pack in my name. It's where I got my Masters. I used to catch flack from the other students because I wouldn't go to State football games if OU was playing anywhere near their kickoff time :)

soonergirlNeugene
10/26/2011, 02:36 PM
lol I have another unpopular choice, but my second team is Oregon. Graduated law school there and really fell in love with the state in my time there. I was also kinda surprised how similar the people are to most Oklahomans, politics aside. But ya, that last game was incredibly hard to swallow.

oudanny
10/26/2011, 02:42 PM
My uncle played baseball at Tulsa so I was a fan growing up and still follow them. I also pull for Alabama.
But no other school or team means as much to me as the University of Oklahoma.

LSUdeek
10/26/2011, 03:10 PM
West Virginia.... I have a great customer in Morgantown and the people are awesome.

LSUdeek
10/26/2011, 03:12 PM
Tulane, the TU in my name. Although it's debatable whether they actually have a football program on any given week. They suck to the point of being contemptible, and they play in an empty Superdome which makes it especially sad.

Actual turnstile attendance against UTEP was 973. I loled.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2011, 03:29 PM
1. OU
2. OU
3. Tulsa
4. Roll Tide (respect)
5. Nebraska(respect)
5.(a) oSu

I love the stat of OKLAHOMA, but there is only ONE!

Boomer!

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2011, 04:14 PM

Other than that, I pull for any team from Oklahoma, and yes, that includes oSu.

But I guess my second favorite team is whoever plays LSU.

Oh yeah, I like Navy, too.

They do have a football team. I know this because Baylor lent them our facilities in the Katrina aftermath. I think we even played them that season (Tulane probably won).

Soonerfan88
10/26/2011, 04:26 PM
Army, then the other service academies
Tulsa
Houston
whoever is playing *

randall180
10/26/2011, 04:33 PM
Lots of Tulsa grads in the family. The in-laws are all Jayhawks... there's no harm rooting for them in football.

The main rule we have in our house is we don't root for any team that is orange.

pac10SUX
10/26/2011, 06:10 PM
Well my Mom went to Miami, one of my sis' went to South Florida, my bro went to Florida but I just can bring myself to root for them. Dad went to Troy so I kind of root for them.

Once the wife & I moved up to the Portland, Oregon; we've sort of adopted Oregon St as our team to cheer for in the Northwest (perennial underdogs). Great Tailgating!! Gone to a few games the last several years.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 07:48 PM
I don't know about the other service academies, but Air Force is a great place to watch a game. The stadium isn't that big, so there's not a bad seat, and the pre-game flyover/air show is awesome.

It's hard not to respect the cadets that play for the service academies. They, without a doubt, have it harder than any other college football player in the country.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 07:50 PM
lol I have another unpopular choice, but my second team is Oregon. Graduated law school there and really fell in love with the state in my time there. I was also kinda surprised how similar the people are to most Oklahomans, politics aside. But ya, that last game was incredibly hard to swallow.

Oregon (the state) seems a lot like Oklahoma in terms of the college football environment. I know U of O's success is fairly "new", but poor OSU just seems to be the whipping boy.

SoonerMarkVA
10/26/2011, 08:18 PM
'Bama seems like our cousin team, so I like them. They have great tradition, and they seem to have gracious fans well beyond other teams. I used to have a lot of respect for NU, but that's pretty much in the toilet.

Everyone else, I have either no interest or hate.

oudavid1
10/26/2011, 11:05 PM

First of all, They are the REAL UT. Second, f**k Alabama. And third, its a bright orange.

starclassic tama
10/26/2011, 11:56 PM
so how did you end up a sooner fan and a tennessee fan david? family from tennessee or something?

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2011, 01:41 AM
First of all, They are the REAL UT. Second, f**k Alabama. And third, its a bright orange.
1. They're still a UT
2. I'd say eat **** and die, but since you're a Vile fan your life is full of eating **** already
3. Arizona is a dry heat. It's still hotter than ****. Orange is orange.

CrimsonRez
10/27/2011, 02:15 AM
and we don't like orange :D

oudavid1
10/27/2011, 02:26 AM
so how did you end up a sooner fan and a tennessee fan david? family from tennessee or something?

My two great uncles (including the one im named after) played there. Their older brother (my grandfather) played for OU. My dad is from Memphis. Entire ancestry is from Tennessee (Germantown) and Mississippi.

1. They're still a UT
2. I'd say eat **** and die, but since you're a Vile fan your life is full of eating **** already
3. Arizona is a dry heat. It's still hotter than ****. Orange is orange.

F*** You Bama Man!

Its not that bad. C'mon you 2.

CrimsonRez
10/27/2011, 02:49 AM
It's not that Tennessee is a bad school, it's that they're Orange and they are UT if they were TU and they were any color but orange, I say go crazy. But they're both of those things.

King Crimson
10/27/2011, 05:04 AM
never been a "second favorite team" guy. i can't even like the NFL or NBA for that reason. outside, 24 sec shot clock and too many games NBA reasons...and if they didn't so many eminently unlikable players like Melo and Kmart in the past.....i kinda like the Nuggets.

Vandy? seriously. i like to see the Commodores not suck...but no one cared when i was there so no point in pretending. basketball, i can get behind Vandy a bit. baseball, too. buddy of mine played for them. they are *a lot* better now. i don't go 'sic'em' on the alma mater...just because we all know it's a failure of virtue. i went to Vandy for a few years, i was Sooner Born for a lifetime. good parenting, too.

i've tried to "like" Colorado since CU has signed my paycheck for a decade....and now in the Pac i'm freed up to try for them without OU confliction. but, not really working. they are truly pathetic right now...so they elicit some sympathy of the Blakean variety....but i don't think i can ever pull for their unqualified success. the xenophobia and insular nature of the McCartney invented football fan base is a real turn off. easier to pull for them some in hoops....because i've been going to CU hoops for a long time on the GA ticket (more than CU fans, that's for sure). 7 bucks, see the best teams in the conference...sit where you want. last time you paid 7 bucks to see Blake Griffin, TJ Ford, or the KU national champs was when?

i like Air Force. they are local. pull for them in the MWC, even as a dirty commie i like the option. Tulsa, kinda.

MiccoMacey
10/27/2011, 09:51 AM
Always OU first. Always.

But I do root for some other teams as well.

OSU - graduated from there
A&M - lived there for two years
Alabama - great storied program with great fans
Oregon - liked them since the 80's. They were harmless back then. Nobody had heard of the Quack Atack
Michigan - again,a great historical program. Loved to hear their fight song as a kid
Washington - lived in Olympia area for three years. During the Blake years. With little to no internet capabilities

oudavid1
10/28/2011, 10:38 AM
It's not that Tennessee is a bad school, it's that they're Orange and they are UT if they were TU and they were any color but orange, I say go crazy. But they're both of those things.

Foine, but I promise they are not that bad.

Always OU first. Always.

But I do root for some other teams as well.

OSU - graduated from there
A&M - lived there for two years
Alabama - great storied program with great fans
Oregon - liked them since the 80's. They were harmless back then. Nobody had heard of the Quack Atack
Michigan - again,a great historical program. Loved to hear their fight song as a kid
Washington - lived in Olympia area for three years. During the Blake years. With little to no internet capabilities

With you on this. Love Michigan. They also have a nice fight song. And I feel like you have to pick a side in Mich/Ohio State

BigTip
10/28/2011, 11:31 AM

Why all this hatin' on Syracuse?