PDA

View Full Version : Dear beer micro/mini brewers et al.:

TUSooner
10/25/2011, 12:47 PM
WTF is this obsession with hops, Hops, HOPS, and MORE HOPS !??! I realize hops are a key ingredient in beer, but they're not the ONLY one. Hokey Smokes, y'all, gimme a f***in' break. Evidently, super-hoppy beer is the latest fad among the beer snob herd. But I frankly don't like all that hoppiness, and I'm not gonna drink that flower p*** just to show a bunch of posers that I'm some kind of beer hepcat. (Which I'm really not.) Add any more hops and drinking a beer will be like munching on a dandelion, or a marigold (try it - yuk), or a handfull of pine needles. Hell, it already is, e.g., Sierrra Nevada wet hopped Harvest whatever-the-f*** tree p*** that was that I drank yesterday. Stone Brewing, I'm talkin to you, too.
Get over it already, make some ales (but PLEASE, NOT yet one more f***ing IPA) or some British-style bitter or something, ANYTHING that acknowledges the beauty of the malty side of life.

Thanks.
Kev

OhU1
10/25/2011, 01:06 PM
Get over it already, make some ales (but PLEASE, NOT yet one more f***ing IPA) or some British-style bitter or something, ANYTHING that acknowledges the beauty of the malty side of life.

I do like IPA and hopped beer but I hear ya. We need more British style and malt dominant beers. I've had more spells where I'm not in the mood for IPA and want variety. This time of year I tend to shift to more brown ale, porter, and stout.

Ike
10/25/2011, 01:07 PM
I'm with you on that. Light hopping is all that is required.

OUDoc
10/25/2011, 01:09 PM
Generally I prefer more balanced beers but it depends on the weather too.
I'm brewing up an English Bitter with my next batch. I've never had one but supposedly it's not as bitter as an IPA, despite the name. We'll see.

KantoSooner
10/25/2011, 01:13 PM
A very wise man once commented to me that there was a reason that Heineken was the world's most popular beer. He referred to most micro-brews as 'alcoholic oatmeal' served in a glass.

TUSooner
10/25/2011, 01:14 PM
I'm brewing up an English Bitter with my next batch. I've never had one but supposedly it's not as bitter as an IPA, despite the name. We'll see.

I'd love to be the judge of that! I don't suppose it would travel well, eh? :upset:

TUSooner
10/25/2011, 01:22 PM
Having ranted enough, I will say that an occasional hop-mania is OK; and the worst beer I ever had was still pretty good.
But that Sierra-Nevada beer I had yesterday had an intense hoppy aftertaste that stayed with me until I ate some spicy jambalaya a couple of hours later. By the way - the place for the most eclectic selection of beer in New Orleans is the Avenue Pub, at 1720-something St Charles Avenue. (Steetcar stop 11 or 12, I think.) I also had the most incredibly wonderful brisket, mashed taters & gravy there a few Sunday's ago. The flavors could enable time travel, I swear. The Pub looks kinda dumpy, but it's become one of my faves.

OhU1
10/25/2011, 01:39 PM

English Bitter is rather mild compared to any American IPA and even Pale Ale. Bet you'll have plenty of Fuggles and Kent (?) hops if I'm remembering right. ESB (Extra Special Bitter) is up the scale from English Bitter and ESB is not very bitter or strongly hopped compared to most U.S. microbrews.

I've got to get some new equipment for doing all-grain brewing. Making my own English Bitter, ESB, or Scottish Ale sounds very inviting. My last brew was in December 2008 and was an extract Russian Imperial Stout. I'm still drinking it and it is excellent.

OUDoc
10/25/2011, 01:48 PM
I've got to get some new equipment for doing all-grain brewing. Making my own English Bitter, ESB, or Scottish Ale sounds very inviting. My last brew was in December 2008 and was an extract Russian Imperial Stout. I'm still drinking it and it is excellent.
This will be my first all-grain. We'll see how that goes. I've done about 16-17 extract batches.

OhU1
10/25/2011, 02:13 PM
This will be my first all-grain. We'll see how that goes. I've done about 16-17 extract batches.

I've done about a dozen extract batches from 2005 - 2008. Now that I have a spacious garage I'm ready to get back into brewing and trying all-grain. What attracts me to all-grain is getting deeper into the process and being able to brew more subtle styles which is tougher to do with an extract.

OUDoc
10/25/2011, 02:33 PM
I've done about a dozen extract batches from 2005 - 2008. Now that I have a spacious garage I'm ready to get back into brewing and trying all-grain. What attracts me to all-grain is getting deeper into the process and being able to brew more subtle styles which is tougher to do with an extract.
I'm going with an all-grain "kit" from Midwest Supply hoping it'll make the first brew easier. Then I've seen a bunch of recipes online I'd like to try.

TUSooner
10/25/2011, 02:49 PM
My understanding is that the original IPAs were "overhopped" to help them survive the voyage from England to India's Sunny Clime.

OhU1
10/25/2011, 03:01 PM
I'm going with an all-grain "kit" from Midwest Supply hoping it'll make the first brew easier. Then I've seen a bunch of recipes online I'd like to try.

I used Northern Brewer for my last several extract batches and I was impressed. Northern Brewer also had all-grain versions of dozens of brew styles with the ingredients pre-assembled.

I'm thinking I need to make a Scottish Wee Heavy or Scottish Ale since these styles are difficult to find at the liquor store and very expensive if you do find them.

northspeter
10/26/2011, 05:35 PM
give me a belgian style all day over the hops...

bluedogok
10/26/2011, 05:44 PM
I have tried many of the microbrews made here in Austin and most are hopped to the max, I just don't like them because that is all you taste. There are much better beers that aren't killed with hops.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 08:00 PM
Has nothing to do with hops, but this time of year means that Tommyknocker (microbrewery out of Idaho Springs, CO) will once again be producing their Eggnog Beer, which amazingly enough, is outstanding!

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 08:02 PM
Actually, I don't think Tommyknocker is all that "micro" anymore. Seems like Coors assumed some kind of distribution deal with them.

bluedogok
10/26/2011, 09:08 PM
I've had one of their beers at the Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs. We did the Coors tour last month, it had been 15 or so years since I had been and my wife had never been through it. I don't remember them listing Tommyknocker as one of "their" beers, I know that I haven't seen it in Austin at Spec's or Central Market. Maybe they have a Colorado distribution deal or something with Coors.

All I know is that I have been less than impressed with many of the Austin beers, the Independence Austin Amber is pretty good but most are way too hoppy. I haven't found that as much in the Colorado beers that I have tried. I had the Breckenridge Brewery Vanilla Porter and the Avalanche when we ate at the brewery in Breckenrdige and liked both of them. The Avalanche has been one of my regulars at The Flying Saucer here in Austin....of course after next weekend I will be able to try many more since I will be in Denver full time.

Turd_Ferguson
10/26/2011, 09:21 PM
I've had one Guinness Stout, three Mich Ultras and two Natty Lights this evening...none of them tasted "hoppy"...just say'n.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 09:23 PM
I've had one of their beers at the Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs. We did the Coors tour last month, it had been 15 or so years since I had been and my wife had never been through it. I don't remember them listing Tommyknocker as one of "their" beers, I know that I haven't seen it in Austin at Spec's or Central Market. Maybe they have a Colorado distribution deal or something with Coors.

All I know is that I have been less than impressed with many of the Austin beers, the Independence Austin Amber is pretty good but most are way too hoppy. I haven't found that as much in the Colorado beers that I have tried. I had the Breckenridge Brewery Vanilla Porter and the Avalanche when we ate at the brewery in Breckenrdige and liked both of them. The Avalanche has been one of my regulars at The Flying Saucer here in Austin....of course after next weekend I will be able to try many more since I will be in Denver full time.

I looked at their website, and it looks like the Coors deal may be Colorado only. Though they list quiet a few states where it is available.

Breckenridge Brewery is makes some good beers, Avalanche is my favorite. There is another local micro brewery, Left Hand Brewing, that has a brew called Sawtooth Ale that is pure awesomeness.

Did you know there is a Breckenridge Brewery in downtown Denver? When you get here, and get settled in, let me know...I'll buy you a beer (or 5) at the Breckenridge Brewery downtown.