PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia to Big 12 per USA Today...

bmjlr
10/25/2011, 11:35 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/west-virginia-leaving-big-east-joining-big-12/1

West Virginia will join the Big 12, according to official in the Big East who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the move.

West Virginia could join the Big 12 if Missouri decides to leave the conference for the SEC.CAPTIONBy Jason O. Watson, US PresswireThe Mountaineers would fill the spot vacated by Missouri when it jumps to the Southeastern Conference. Though Missouri hasn't formally withdrawn from the Big 12 just yet, that announcement appears to be a formality.

The move by West Virginia will leave the Big East on life support with just five football-playing members committed to the league. Syracuse and Pittsburgh have been accepted to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

To make matters worse, West Virginia will only be held to a $5 million exit fee. The league recently doubled the conference's football exit fee to $10 million, a move contingent on the execution of the expansion plan.

The increase in exit fee would be triggered as soon as either Air Force or Navy agree to join the league, according to an official in the Big East who asked to remain anonymous given the sensitivity of discussions. Since neither Navy or Air Force have made such moves, the Mountaineers will only have to pay $5 million.

Though the Big 12 would like the Mountaineers to begin league play next season, that timetable appears unlikely. Big East commissioner John Marinatto is steadfast about not letting Pittsburgh and Syracuse leave for the Atlantic Coast Conference before their 27-month league notification expires.

The Big East has said it would like to add six teams to form a 12-team football league. Now make that seven. The original model includes inviting current Mountain West members Boise State and Air Force and independent Navy as football-only members and current Conference USA members Central Florida, SMU and Houston to join in all sports.

Houston regents will meet Thursday to authorize the school chancellor to negotiate a move to a new conference. But at least some of the institutions targeted by the Big East have been wary of additional Big East defections. Now with WVU's move, there's good reason.

Flagstaffsooner
10/25/2011, 11:39 AM
Now Olevet will have someone to trade recipes with at games.

OhU1
10/25/2011, 11:41 AM
Not a geographic fit but a fair trade if we lose Missouri. I'm more interested in getting WV than Louisville or Cincy.

nighttrain12
10/25/2011, 11:45 AM
Oh darn, too bad Bill Stewart is not still the coach there. ;-)

badger
10/25/2011, 11:55 AM
I've said it before on the reallignment thread thingie, but it's worth repeating:

Their academics suck and their distance sucks too, but there are other reasons why this could work: Their major sports programs already have ties to the Big 12 and their major sports do not suck.

Sure, OU lost to West Virginia in the dreaded Fiesta Bowl, but consider who their current football and mens basketball coaches are:

Dana Holgorsen, former offensive coordinator for Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

Bob Huggins, former beloved coach of KSU branded traitor for leaving for WVU, his alma mater.

If we were to eventually add Cincy, Huggie also coached there before KSU.

Their football stadium holds 60k, which is comparable to some of our schools, and I think I read somewhere that they hold the undesirable distinction of being the winningest football program without a national title.

Their basketball team has been to two final fours (including 2010's) and is now a tourney regular under Huggie, despite being in the hyper competitive Big East. Their basketball collesseum holds 14k. One of their program's alums?

http://www.logolook.de/wp-content/uploads/NBA-Logo-Jerry-West.png

Yup, none other than the NBA logo inspiration, Jerry West.

sooneron
10/25/2011, 12:06 PM
Like/Hate it

cjames317
10/25/2011, 12:07 PM
Only a couple of hours from Youngstown. Maybe Bob will appreciate that?

LRoss
10/25/2011, 12:07 PM
I lived in Louisville for 8 years.

UofL fans hate WV fans with an un-holy hatred.

Think LSU of the Big East.

kevpks
10/25/2011, 12:16 PM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3787/holgerson121510.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/holgerson121510.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

This is like that scene in Animal House.

Next up, West Virgina.

Booooo!

Hissss.

We need the dues.

TahoeSOONER
10/25/2011, 12:23 PM
They had some very cool fans and some wack jobs at the Fiesta Bowl. I guess all fan bases have those but I hear it gets real rowdy in Morgantown.

sooner_born_1960
10/25/2011, 12:24 PM
Might as well. BTW, the Big12 is an athletic conference.

SoonerMarkVA
10/25/2011, 12:34 PM
Of all the plausible options, this and BYU are probably the top two. I think it's a good move.

The better move would be to drop lil brother and get into the SEC, but that's clearly not going to happen.

jkjsooner
10/25/2011, 12:52 PM
They had some very cool fans and some wack jobs at the Fiesta Bowl. I guess all fan bases have those but I hear it gets real rowdy in Morgantown.

Went to a WVU/Pitt game in Morgantown. I wasn't extremely impressed. The fans are okay but for a rivalry game it just didn't match up with the better rivalries and the stadium isn't exactly intimidating. Then again, I wasn't wearing Pitt clothes so it wasn't like I suffered the wrath of their fans.

Good news is I'll be driving to some OU games in a year or two. I can't remember the last time we played in the mid Atlantic region.

BTW, the game was an awesome game. It went to three overtimes. WVU had Bulger and Amos Zereoue.

Herr Scholz
10/25/2011, 01:19 PM
I like it. I think TCU and WVU are very good additions for the sports league. I also like the idea of adding ND non-football sports and having them schedule a lot of Big XII football games on top of that.

Flagstaffsooner
10/25/2011, 01:26 PM
I can live with it.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2011, 01:28 PM
Business at Mathis Brothers will increase 10-fold.

Sooner Schemer
10/25/2011, 01:35 PM
I'll support it if The Pride will replace "You're A Grand Old Flag" with Dueling Banjos.

EatLeadCommie
10/25/2011, 01:52 PM
Great, now we have fans as comparably bad as LSU fans. They'll make TT fans look like softies. Another completely undesirable road trip added to the schedule, but I guess they'll be in the north so we won't have to go there but once every 4 years.

soonerfromgeorgia
10/25/2011, 02:32 PM
now if we could add USF to get a game down here in the south every other year!

And BYU for my wife since she is mormon and would like to go to that game in Utah.

soonervegas
10/25/2011, 02:32 PM
I think I read somewhere that they hold the undesirable distinction of being the winningest football program without a national title.

So they are the OU basketball of college football?

badger
10/25/2011, 02:43 PM
So they are the OU basketball of college football?

Is that what our basketball team is? The womens' team certainly seems like that in the last decade. I'm sure there's more winning basketball programs than OU's without a nat'l title (perhaps WVU's, because the closest they've come, like OU, was runner-up status)

Jason Alexander
10/25/2011, 03:01 PM
I thought Louisville would be the more desirable school. I guess we can still get them with WVU to help bridge the geographical gap.

badger
10/25/2011, 03:16 PM
It would make sense to get BYU (or BYU for football only and ND for everything except football) to balance the crazy rabid fanbaseness that WVU would bring to the Big 12. It would also extend the Big 12's footprint far east AND far west :)

Sooner5030
10/25/2011, 03:22 PM
USF & UL are now tops for me. Save BYU for the inevitable supers (gawd I hope we dont go to supers) in the long run. But if 14 or 16 are possible down the road we should establish some relationships and routinely schedule these programs OOC.

recemp
10/25/2011, 03:28 PM
Isn't Morgantown the place where they like to burn sofas on the front lawn?

badger
10/25/2011, 03:29 PM
Isn't Morgantown the place where they like to burn sofas on the front lawn?

A lot of places burn couches. I hear its a tradition up at THE Ohio State :P

recemp
10/25/2011, 03:32 PM
They probably burn nicer furniture in Columbus

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 03:43 PM
It would make sense to get BYU (or BYU for football only and ND for everything except football) to balance the crazy rabid fanbaseness that WVU would bring to the Big 12. It would also extend the Big 12's footprint far east AND far west :)

It's ~2000 miles from Provo, UT to Morgantown, WV. Nice for TV, bad for travel. And assuming the Big 12 adds Louisville and Cincinnati to get back to 12 once Missouri leaves, West Virginia would no longer be on an island. BYU would always be on an island. No one is close to them.

soonervegas
10/25/2011, 03:50 PM
Is that what our basketball team is? The womens' team certainly seems like that in the last decade. I'm sure there's more winning basketball programs than OU's without a nat'l title (perhaps WVU's, because the closest they've come, like OU, was runner-up status)

OU men are currently 2nd in most tourney wins without a National Title at 35. Illinois is 1st with 38. Ok back to football.....

badger
10/25/2011, 03:54 PM
They probably burn nicer furniture in Columbus

You know how stuff stays fresher loner if you put it in the freezer/fridge?

Ohio summers are like a refridgerator and Ohio winters are like a freezer.

Thus, everything stays newer, even the couches, a little bit longer in Ohio, even if you forget the box of baking soda

kevpks
10/25/2011, 03:55 PM
OU men are currently 2nd in most tourney wins without a National Title at 35. Illinois is 1st with 38. Ok back to football.....

I was shocked when I was in grad school at Loyola Univ Chicago to learn that their 1963 championship is the only national title for a school in Illinois.

8timechamps
10/25/2011, 04:10 PM
I like the move, given the circumstances. Now Mizzou can just go away. The funny thing is, this whole Mizzou to the SEC thing is really dragging out. I think it would be funny as hell if they don't get the invite. Of course, I also think it would be funny if they played in the SEC...so I suppose it's a win-win situation.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2011, 04:20 PM
Now Olevet will have someone to trade recipes with at games.

West Virginia-Mex Possum Stew
1 lean possum cut-up (lean is probably winter kill)
Flour
Cooking oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (4 ounces) green chili peppers ( adjust for your taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces red wine (optional)
1 small can whole kernel corn
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans
1 can (15 ounces) canned tomatoes
1 can beef broth or two cups water
1 package taco seasoning mix

Dredge meat in flour to coat. Brown pieces in hot skillet in cooking oil. Add remaining ingredients. Stir and cover. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring occasionally. Can also make in a slow cooker. Serve with rice. Place a large bag of corn chips in center of table. Shredded Cheddar cheese and sour cream make this a real gourmet dish. Forget the avocado; folks who eat possum don't eat avocados.

SoonerofAlabama
10/25/2011, 04:22 PM
If so, I'm good with it.

Vegas Sooner
10/25/2011, 04:27 PM
...They at least have a decent football and basketball squad.

...Have fun in the SEC Mizzou!

MichiganSooner
10/25/2011, 04:59 PM
A lot of places burn couches. I hear its a tradition up at THE Ohio State :P

We lived in Columbus from 1980-82. My wife could not believe it until she saw it on TV. Jumping off 1 story buildings along High Street, breaking windows along High Street, and burning couches....all after they beat Michigan. She asked anyone who would listen, "what do they do when they lose to Michigan?"

MichiganSooner
10/25/2011, 05:12 PM
I would want West Virginia to join the Big 12 and not have the move tied to Missouri. If Missouri goes, then we have 10 teams lined up. If Missouri stays, and I hope they do, we have 11 teams lined up with an eastern presence in the league. Then get another team for 12 again. Having 11 teams lined up shows some commitment of the Big 12 to be a survivor rather than a league falling apart.

VA Sooner
10/25/2011, 05:18 PM
Agree... strange geography but good fit for Big 12.

8timechamps
10/25/2011, 05:19 PM
I would want West Virginia to join the Big 12 and not have the move tied to Missouri. If Missouri goes, then we have 10 teams lined up. If Missouri stays, and I hope they do, we have 11 teams lined up with an eastern presence in the league. Then get another team for 12 again. Having 11 teams lined up shows some commitment of the Big 12 to be a survivor rather than a league falling apart.

I hope Mizzou stays, but I'm tired of them wanting out. If they do stay, and we pick up WVU (and assuming we add an 12th team), I think the conference will be almost as good as the original Big XII. Losing A&M and Nebraska is not going to replaced by WVU and probably Louisville, but it's not too bad.

jumperstop
10/25/2011, 05:21 PM

Well Mizzou is leaving...I guess were a falling apart league then. Mizzou may be a suckfest in football from here on out in the SEC, but I heard they'll be making 11 million more a year. Who looks like the dumbasses now? Mizzou and all the other traitors for leaving or us for staying?

8timechamps
10/25/2011, 05:35 PM
Well Mizzou is leaving...I guess were a falling apart league then. Mizzou may be a suckfest in football from here on out in the SEC, but I heard they'll be making 11 million more a year. Who looks like the dumbasses now? Mizzou and all the other traitors for leaving or us for staying?

I've seen this alot, and while I tend to agree, nothing is completed. Given how crazy this realignment has been, there is a real possibility that Mizzou stays put.

As for who looks dumb, I'm going to wait and see what the Big XII looks like when it's time to renew our TV contracts before speaking.

Sooner5030
10/25/2011, 05:40 PM
I am surprised the SEC is willing to take on such a flight risk. MIZZOU will lift tail at the tip of the B1G hat.

Maybe the unintended consequences are that we unload some instability with MIZZOU leaving.

On to USF/UL

if the need to go to 14 or 16 at a later date then establish good relationships with BYU/UH/UC/BSU/CSU

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 06:08 PM
Mizzou isn't getting that Big Ten invite any time soon, though, if ever.

Sooner5030
10/25/2011, 06:12 PM
Mizzou isn't getting that Big Ten invite any time soon, though, if ever.

If supers happen (i hope not) what are the 4 best candidates for the B1G?

Judge Smails
10/25/2011, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know of a flow chart showing all of the conference moves? I can't keep up with them anymore.

silverwheels
10/25/2011, 07:37 PM
If supers happen (i hope not) what are the 4 best candidates for the B1G?

That's the thing: I don't think they happen. The conferences and ESPN don't want them to happen.

Everything I've read indicates that if the Big Ten does expand again, they want to get into the NY area. So Notre Dame is and will be #1 on their list until they join, then Rutgers, UConn, and formerly Syracuse until they went to the ACC, although that doesn't stop them from accepting a Big Ten invite if it ever comes.

LASooner
10/26/2011, 12:36 AM
I think the Big 12 should grab Cincy and Louisville and split into East and West

East:
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Baylor

It's roughly what we had in terms of strength in the North before all this, maybe even a stronger than the North we had before and the East remains the South. I'd rather be in the PAC, but this seems like the best polishing option with this turd we're being forced to eat.

BYU brings nothing but schedulling problems, at least Cincy and Lousiville bring some basketball cache as well.

zandozan
10/26/2011, 03:14 AM
I think the Big 12 should grab Cincy and Louisville and split into East and West

East:
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Baylor

It's roughly what we had in terms of strength in the North before all this, maybe even a stronger than the North we had before and the East remains the South. I'd rather be in the PAC, but this seems like the best polishing option with this turd we're being forced to eat.

BYU brings nothing but schedulling problems, at least Cincy and Lousiville bring some basketball cache as well.

That's not too bad I guess...even better as a basketball conference. I'm afraid it would take us longer to get back up fighting Pitino and Huggie every year but at least it would make for great theater.

Sooner95
10/26/2011, 06:14 AM
Yea, I'd actually be pretty cool with the additions of WVU LV, and Cincy..minus Mizzou.. I say let's just get it done already and move forward.

ouflak
10/26/2011, 06:49 AM
I am surprised the SEC is willing to take on such a flight risk. MIZZOU will lift tail at the tip of the B1G hat.

Maybe the unintended consequences are that we unload some instability with MIZZOU leaving.

The only way to get stability into the Big XII is to get rid of Texas, OU, and Missouri and have the Big XII somehow keep its AQ. Then the Big XII can load up with other teams that are leftovers from the Big East and smaller conferences and just move on without us. We'd each be fine.

Oh, and I've pushed for a Re-Alignment subforum. We'll see what happens. That novel of a re-alignment thread is just getting too War-and-Peaceish.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/26/2011, 06:52 AM
[

The better move would be to drop lil brother and get into the SEC, but that's clearly not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

No. Not a smart move. SEC is bad news.

LRoss
10/26/2011, 07:00 AM

East:
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Baylor

That makes sense, I'm not knocking it, but WOW is that East terrible. I'd say legitimately worse than the old North, which we all know was generally pretty abysmal.

And could it be possible that the West is actually STRONGER than the old South? Remains to be seen how TCU would do in such a position, I suppose.

GreenSooner
10/26/2011, 08:06 AM

East:
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Baylor

Why call those divisions "East" and "West"? Both Kansas schools are to the West of sone of the schools in the "West.". But the entire "East" is to the north of the "West."

Looks like "North" and "South" to me.

Flagstaffsooner
10/26/2011, 08:16 AM
These people are going to be loads of fun. At least they pre-hate *.

http://www.wemustignitethiscouch.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20453&forum=2

Landthief 1972
10/26/2011, 08:21 AM
I like this, plus the new recruiting conduit we'd get in the Ohio area.

East:
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Baylor

Landthief 1972
10/26/2011, 08:26 AM
These people are going to be loads of fun. At least they pre-hate *.

http://www.wemustignitethiscouch.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20453&forum=2

Apparently, one of our less-educated, more-inebriated fans was at the 2007 Fiesta Bowl and told a WV fan that the WV fan could have sloppy seconds on his own sister when the OU fan was done with her. Just goes to show there are classless morons in every fan base. It's up to the rest of us to show the Mountaineers that OU fans are classy and leave the fight on the field. Here's hoping they sign on.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/26/2011, 08:31 AM
Their basketball team has been to two final fours (including 2010's) and is now a tourney regular under Huggie, despite being in the hyper competitive Big East. Their basketball collesseum holds 14k. One of their program's alums?

http://www.logolook.de/wp-content/uploads/NBA-Logo-Jerry-West.png

Yup, none other than the NBA logo inspiration, Jerry West.

Why do you always feel the need to bring up basketball out of nowhere? Jus wondering...

NormanPride
10/26/2011, 09:18 AM
Because what the hell else are you going to talk about with WVU? Their football championships?

3rdgensooner
10/26/2011, 09:40 AM
West:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
Baylor

Ugh, I hate being in the texas league.

NormanPride
10/26/2011, 09:45 AM
I bet everyone in the big 12 has hated being in the OU league. ;)

3rdgensooner
10/26/2011, 09:49 AM
I bet everyone in the big 12 has hated being in the OU league. ;)Sucks to be them

soonerboomer93
10/26/2011, 09:49 AM
Texan calling us hillbillies is like the pot calling the kettle black. Our cultures are similar the way to insult WV/TX is to call them atheist homosexuals that hate America.

Apparently they don't know that's a compliment in Austin.

Frozen Sooner
10/26/2011, 10:01 AM
As a matter of law, "hillbilly" is not an insult in Southern Missouri. True story.

Landthief 1972
10/26/2011, 10:06 AM
Apparently they don't know that's a compliment in Austin.

http://i.imgur.com/EXdfh.jpg

FaninAma
10/26/2011, 10:45 AM
Oh yipee, now our road games will be in Lubbock, Waco, Ames, Stillwater, Manhattan(Ks), Lubbock-East(Morgantown). How many of you plan vacations with these cities as your destination?

Oh well, at least there will be trees and the wind will blow less in Morgantown.

Tear Down This Wall
10/26/2011, 10:51 AM
Oh yipee, now our road games will be in Lubbock, Waco, Ames, Stillwater, Manhattan(Ks), Lubbock-East(Morgantown). How many of you plan vacations with these cities as your destination?

Oh well, at least there will be trees and the wind will blow less in Morgantown.

This is a credit to the leadership in our athletic department. Anyone have the television market rankings of Morgantown...or any part of West Virginia? Pathetic.

Gee...you mean the broad national appeal and television power of West Virginia wasn't strong enough to keep the Big East from splintering to the degree that they've begged Houston and SMU in? Color me surprised.

Tear Down This Wall
10/26/2011, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know of a flow chart showing all of the conference moves? I can't keep up with them anymore.

The only flow chart you need to know is DeLoss telling us to bend over, and Boren and Castiglione complying with, "Thank you, sir, may I have another!"

sooneron
10/26/2011, 11:02 AM
Dude, you seriously need to let it rest for a week or so.

NormanPride
10/26/2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, this is getting creepy.

Mississippi Sooner
10/26/2011, 11:09 AM
One potential positive I could see coming from this might be an inroad into western Pennsylvania recruiting. While it might not quite be the hotbed of quarterbacks as it once was, it's still a good one.

NormanPride
10/26/2011, 11:10 AM
It would help more in basketball than football.

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 01:04 PM
So now the WV move is "on hold". Once again proof that nobody (except the people actually involved) have any real idea what is happening.

soonerboomer93
10/26/2011, 01:32 PM
So now the WV move is "on hold". Once again proof that nobody (except the people actually involved) have any real idea what is happening.

last i heard the "on hold" is over the press conference

Just saw there are rumors that Louisville is behind it and bargaining to get in. Maybe just take both of them and be at 12 again. Take cinci if mizzou bounces?

jumperstop
10/26/2011, 01:35 PM
last i heard the "on hold" is over the press conference/where to hold it/who will be there, etc etc.

When I was looking at the WV boards they had an article saying it might be because of Louisville making a push to get into the Big 12 or something....I don't know how legit that is.

badger
10/26/2011, 01:37 PM

Just saw there are rumors that Louisville is behind it and bargaining to get in. Maybe just take both of them and be at 12 again. Take cinci if mizzou bounces?

Hmm... let me pull out my map...

http://www.milonic.com/menuimages/us_map.gif

Hey look! The Big 12 states are once again connected if we add them too! :D

zandozan
10/26/2011, 01:41 PM
last i heard the "on hold" is over the press conference/where to hold it/who will be there, etc etc.

Doesn't look like a simple press conference problem to me. Louisville really pushing hard to get in.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7152071/west-virginia-mountaineers-move-big-12-hold-source-says

It's also looking a little like Missouri is starting to sweat. Every time one of their officials speaks, they say something like this "We want to confirm where we are ... as rapidly as possible." This sounds like 'SEC we're ready to join when you want us....SEC? SEC???? '

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 01:41 PM

I read that on ESPN too. I also agree, lets just take both of 'em and move on.

jumperstop
10/26/2011, 01:43 PM
Hmm... let me pull out my map...

http://www.milonic.com/menuimages/us_map.gif

Hey look! The Big 12 states are once again connected if we add them too! :D

I'd be fine with Louisville and WV if Mizzou stays. If I had to choose one I'd choose WV.

Someone needs to tell Missouri to make up it's damn mind. They are getting off by thinking everything in the Big 12 depends on them, but it acctuality it makes them look like indecisive ****s....

Soonerfan88
10/26/2011, 01:44 PM
Keeping Moo (thanks to KU fans on badger's thread for that) and adding Louisville & WVU is my preference. Gets us back to 12 teams and adds good programs. :encouragement:

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 01:48 PM
Keeping Moo (thanks to KU fans on badger's thread for that) and adding Louisville & WVU is my preference. Gets us back to 12 teams and adds good programs. :encouragement:

Agreed. Maybe not as strong as the original Big XII, but overall better than the PAC and B1G.

Rocker
10/26/2011, 01:50 PM
Country roads take me home to the place I belong West Virginia Mountain mama, take me home Country roads

jumperstop
10/26/2011, 01:50 PM
Agreed. Maybe not as strong as the original Big XII, but overall better than the PAC and B1G.

Agree, I'm starting to believe that maybe keeping this **** conference together may acctually work out. I just wish we could do things as quick as the ACC did. If they did all their stuff in one day, how does it take like two months for us to firgure this issue out?

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 02:01 PM
Agree, I'm starting to believe that maybe keeping this **** conference together may acctually work out. I just wish we could do things as quick as the ACC did. If they did all their stuff in one day, how does it take like two months for us to firgure this issue out?

It's been messy, but in the end, we're stuck...so hopefully we can make something out of it. Certainly wouldn't have expected this a month ago.

I don't get the delay either, but I'm sure that there is a lot of jockeying for position behind the scenes. Plus, when I agree to go out with my girlfriend and her friends, it takes about two hours to decide where to go...at least they're not in charge of the realignment.

soonerboomer93
10/26/2011, 02:22 PM
Summary of the rumors I've read.

WVU -Highly likely, just have to determine it

L-Ville 50/50 (Probably only as a package deal with WVU) L-Ville apparently offered to accept less then equal revenue for an undertimened amount of time. I have a feeling this is similar to the probationary period that UN is under in the B1G where they receive less revenue for the first couple years. Same is true for CU and Utah in the PAC as I recall. Apparently our tv revenue per school (that we bitch about) is about twice the SS Big Easts.

ND - offering a 6 game/year schedule with Big 12 including Turkeyday with Texa$$. All sports but football would be in Big 12. Want 60 days before making a final decision on whether they are willing to do this or not (I'm sure NBC wants some sort of focus groups to see how they would draw playing Big 12 teams vs their current setup and they would have to determine what core games to keep).

Personally, I'd go WVU first (for competition) L-ville might be okay as it would also improve b-ball and give the conference new territory. ND - I wouldn't give them the 60 days. They have said they'd prefer the ACC, everyone knows they don't want the B1G. They're trying to bargain with chips they don't necessarily have as they are just looking for a landing spot.

Of course, WVU and L-Ville both probably go to 100% if Moo leaves. Realistically, I don't see any reason the conference couldn't have 12 football and 13 teams in the other sports.

Personally, from a competitive standpoint, I'm a lot higher on WVU then L-ville. I was in favor of BYU, but I'm honestly not sure how well they'd just "fit in" with the conference. Frankly, WVU is ranked ahead of both A$M and CU in both winning percentage and all time wins.

MeMyself&Me
10/26/2011, 03:45 PM
Summary of the rumors I've read.

WVU -Highly likely, just have to determine it

L-Ville 50/50 (Probably only as a package deal with WVU) L-Ville apparently offered to accept less then equal revenue for an undertimened amount of time. I have a feeling this is similar to the probationary period that UN is under in the B1G where they receive less revenue for the first couple years. Same is true for CU and Utah in the PAC as I recall. Apparently our tv revenue per school (that we bitch about) is about twice the SS Big Easts.

ND - offering a 6 game/year schedule with Big 12 including Turkeyday with Texa$$. All sports but football would be in Big 12. Want 60 days before making a final decision on whether they are willing to do this or not (I'm sure NBC wants some sort of focus groups to see how they would draw playing Big 12 teams vs their current setup and they would have to determine what core games to keep).

Personally, I'd go WVU first (for competition) L-ville might be okay as it would also improve b-ball and give the conference new territory. ND - I wouldn't give them the 60 days. They have said they'd prefer the ACC, everyone knows they don't want the B1G. They're trying to bargain with chips they don't necessarily have as they are just looking for a landing spot.

Of course, WVU and L-Ville both probably go to 100% if Moo leaves. Realistically, I don't see any reason the conference couldn't have 12 football and 13 teams in the other sports.

Personally, from a competitive standpoint, I'm a lot higher on WVU then L-ville. I was in favor of BYU, but I'm honestly not sure how well they'd just "fit in" with the conference. Frankly, WVU is ranked ahead of both A$M and CU in both winning percentage and all time wins.

I've got to say right here and now that Texas better not get an annual game with ND. This isn't a 6 team conference so ND getting a 6 game rotation should be rotated with all members. No special treatment for Texas.

allanace16
10/26/2011, 03:51 PM
Why call those divisions "East" and "West"? Both Kansas schools are to the West of sone of the schools in the "West.". But the entire "East" is to the north of the "West."

Looks like "North" and "South" to me.

Wait, what? What school in the "West" is east of Manhattan, KS, much less Lawrence? Last time I checked, Stillwater, Norman, Lubbock, Waco, Austin, and Ft. Worth were all west of Manhattan. Not that I see a reason to go E/W instead of N/S, but still......

allanace16
10/26/2011, 03:55 PM
I've got to say right here and now that Texas better not get an annual game with ND. This isn't a 6 team conference so ND getting a 6 game rotation should be rotated with all members. No special treatment for Texas.

Eh, I think the ND thing is so highly unlikely that there's no point in worrying about it. Hell, joining the reformed Big "12" might be the final nail in making ND football irrelevant. Let's just bring in L-Ville and WV and call it good until Mizzou gets ADD again...