PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Travis Lewis

Toronto Sooner
10/24/2011, 11:41 PM
In my opinion, based on performance last weekend, no one has earned the privilege to wear the A. Box jersey for the KSU game this weekend (not the players, not the coaches and not the fans that left the game early - with the exception being the fans with small kids to put to bed or fans dealing with emergency situations).

As such, if A. Box`s parents are ok with this (as well as B. Stoops and Brent V.) have Austin`s jersey hang somewhere on the sidelines during the KSU game where it is still part of the team.

Then, have the players go out to the field against KSU and earn the honour to wear the Austin Box jersey during the Sooners next game.

Blue
10/24/2011, 11:52 PM
So you can't memorialize a teamate unless you go undefeated? Noted.

CowboyMRW
10/25/2011, 12:22 AM
I don't think it's that you lost. I think he means the fact that your D showed no heart last week, and that's why they don't deserve the jersey as AB was all heart on the field.

Blue
10/25/2011, 12:26 AM
I don't think it's that you lost. I think he means the fact that your D showed no heart last week, and that's why they don't deserve the jersey as AB was all heart on the field.

How do you know they didn't show heart? Bc a few got burnt? That means they played with no heart?

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

CowboyMRW
10/25/2011, 12:31 AM
You're whole team showed no heart IMO. Kenny on the interception never reacted to the ball, and there was a throw in the EZ that Kenny could've dove for and caught I thought, and he just stopped running for it.

I'm not talking about being burned, it just seemed that the effort wasn't there until the fourth quarter from the defense. This is just my opinion though.

Blue
10/25/2011, 12:38 AM
You're whole team showed no heart IMO. Kenny on the interception never reacted to the ball, and there was a throw in the EZ that Kenny could've dove for and caught I thought, and he just stopped running for it.

I'm not talking about being burned, it just seemed that the effort wasn't there until the fourth quarter from the defense. This is just my opinion though.

That is your opinion. Teams get beat. It's very hard to go undefeated. OSU wouldn't know about that though. Be sure and dont say your team has no heart when OU goes to Stillwater and beats you yet AGAIN. Mkay?

CowboyMRW
10/25/2011, 01:20 AM
That was my opinion which I stated several times in my post. Also, I know it is very hard to go undefeated as only one team a year usually is the only team to do it, and in some years, no teams go undefeated.

I just stated an opinion of what I saw watching the game Saturday night.

FWIW, I was rooting for OU. I usually do except when Bedlam comes around.

BigJerm7
10/25/2011, 05:52 AM
Seems a little drastic to me. You don't punish the D for having a bad game. Did Box never have a bad game?

Toronto Sooner
10/25/2011, 06:11 AM
I was under the impression that (throughout the season) Travis has been primarily using performance contributions in the last game played to determined who has earned the honour of wearing the A. Box jersey in the next game.

Who would you select for the KSU game based on performances from the Texas Tech game?

I should also add that he likely makes his selection based also on who practices well during game week (i.e. this week) and who carries the right attitude.

IGotNoTiming
10/25/2011, 06:34 AM
"So I figured 'Hey I'll only be in Haiti for one week...' so I didn't wear a condom. "

BAD IDEA JEANS

Chiliman
10/25/2011, 06:39 AM
If I were the coaches, I might reconsider letting the " captain" make the call on 12 the rest of the season. No problem calling out teammates. Calling them out in the media is not captain material. Sorry, JMO.

delhalew
10/25/2011, 07:01 AM
That is your opinion. Teams get beat. It's very hard to go undefeated. OSU wouldn't know about that though. Be sure and dont say your team has no heart when OU goes to Stillwater and beats you yet AGAIN. Mkay?

Yeah, the poke is right. That wasn't a loss, that was invasion of the body snatchers. That abortion can't be blamed on schemes or anything other that **** effort.

Spray
10/25/2011, 08:21 AM
I agree with, Blue.

Put 12 on Alexander this week and get back to work.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 08:24 AM
Good thing Box didn't play for KU or he'd be a forgotten man by now.

Soonerntxs
10/25/2011, 08:41 AM
Flat, no heart, bad coaching, bad Karma! WOW and some call themselves fans! & now the #12 Honor Jersey; Please STOP for one minute and remember, these are 18+ year old kids playing for the #3 (now) #11 top team in the nation! This is like you winning the lottery! Be a fan, support the team present and past, look at the sidelines and watch the faces of the players when they make a mistake; you sure the heck take note when they strut into the endzone! Taking away the #12 Honor Jersey is like someone walking into your livingroom and removing your parents urn (ashes) because you just got your car repo'ed; now, if you catch up on the payments, you get the urn back! Perspective is we will WIN, MOST of the time, tt was not a MOST!

delhalew
10/25/2011, 08:58 AM
I don't feel I have any right to voice an opinion on how to honor Austin. I am simply agreeing that the guys showed no heart coming out, and playing the way they did. You have to put that loss on the players.

Toronto Sooner
10/25/2011, 09:54 AM
The best way to honour Box this coming Saturday is to bounce back with another Red River Shootout type of performance. I honestly don`t think the D is as bad as last game (though, I don`t have answers as to what happened last game).

I had been breaking down the game highlights each week throughout the season (stopping each available highlight (frame by frame) and analyzing the schemes) and I was extremely impressed with both the schemes and the execution. Venables has gotten much better than previous years, in my view. The game plan for the Texas game was a thing of beauty (and innovative).

Again, I don`t have any firm answers as to what exactly happened in the Texas Tech game relative to the Texas and Florida State games. I can only guess that it was over confidence and lack to practice focus (even if they attempted to guard against all that).

With regards to Box, I really liked the way he played the game (when injuries didn`t get in the way). He was really coming on late last year. I really enjoyed his passion and intensity, especially on these plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiM1P7nSHk&feature=related

Mad Dog Madsen
10/25/2011, 11:07 AM
I actually agree with little Toronto Sooner.

Pigface1
10/25/2011, 11:28 AM
Wearing Haywood's jersey would make a lot more sense after the TT beat down.

oudavid1
10/25/2011, 02:49 PM
I dont think the jersey really affects the performance of the team but I do like the idea.

btb916
10/25/2011, 11:29 PM
How do you know they didn't show heart? Bc a few got burnt? That means they played with no heart?

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

You don't get out much, do you?

But a cowboy should not come on a Sooners board and criticize. That's just a matter of respect for your superiors.

Blue
10/26/2011, 12:27 AM
You don't get out much, do you?

But a cowboy should not come on a Sooners board and criticize. That's just a matter of respect for your superiors.

Explain to me how a poor defensive performance translates into a lack of heart. They do not equal one another. Yes this might have been the case Sat night, but there is no way to know exactly what it was unless you were a part of it. I could have all the heart in the world in my job but if I'm put in a position to fail by my superiors does that mean I have no heart?

And by the way, we as fans left early Sat night with the game still in limbo. I suggest we take off the Austin Box tribute from Soonerfans.com. We didn't earn it.

Toronto Sooner
10/26/2011, 06:51 AM
The idea was not intended to be about penalizing the players. The core of the idea is about taking care of unfinished business. I can only speak for myself, but I don`t feel as if I was watching Oklahoma football last weekend. The first 6 games was all about playing OU football. It was football I was use to watching the last 12 or so years under B. Stoops (even in games that ended in loses - felt like OU football - with perhaps the exception of the USC game and perhaps 1 or 2 of the games at Texas Tech).

OU played up to its abilities (generally speaking - didn`t leave as much on the table as this team left on the table against Tech) in those games over the past 12 years (or so) even in losing. In most cases the other teams played lights out in the losses and rose to the challenge to beat OU.

With the Tech game this past weekend, I didn`t feel as if OU played OU football - the football I`m use to seeing. Give lots of credit to Tech. They did play lights out and rose to the challenge. It is just my opinion that OU left a lot on the table, for example:

*huge number of drop passes relative to other games (correctable)

*huge number of overthrown, underthrown, thrown behind receiver passes relative to any OU game over the past 2 seasons (correctable)

*coaches making the DB adjustment too late (correctable)

*lack of pressure from the D-line front 4 (correctable, but perhaps the game plan needs to be much better against pass happy teams, and the D-line also need to bring their A-game pressure on a more consistent basis)

*worst D tackling I have seen in ages from a Sooner team (that was certainly not OU football - it especially wasn`t for most of this year - but correctable)

*OU`s pass protection was good (as it has been all year), but not as great as it was for the first 6 games of this year. Landry was far more hurried by defenders in the Tech game and was also hit hard on a few occasions (even though there were likely no sacks - one time the back of his head smashed the ground real hard as he was drilled after a pass). This is also correctable.

*Of course run blocking is a problem. However, I think the talent is there. I had broken down film of highlights from the first 6 games (plays that worked). Whaley has been great, but it wasn`t all Whaley. The O-line opened up really good space (followed through with blocks well, etc.). I think it`s a work in progress though. The talent is there. The results just needs to be much more consistent and especially more consistent in the red zone (where everything is more bunched up, and there is generally more pressure - with less downs to go - to get the TD).

*Punting, kickoffs, field goals - especially poor last game (worst I have seen in ages). All of these guys have demonstrated in the past that they can perform far better than what I saw last game. They need to step it up and do it with consistency.

*We started to commit key penalties again (something we had managed to eliminate for most of this season due to discipline), but again, correctable.

I will stop here. This post is already way too long. There are even more aspects of the game they can improve on.

Again, all of this to say that (in my eyes) THAT was not Oklahoma football last weekend. There was way too much left on the table for it to even remotely resemble OU football.

So, back to the core of my idea. It feels like unfinished business. It`s like we played OU football for 6 weeks, then layed a giant (rotten) egg last week.

I am of the believe that OU has the talent and work ethic to accomplish far more than was demonstrated in the Tech game.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2011, 07:29 AM
Stoops on the sideline - check.
Sooner on the uniforms - check.
Lose to Tech in an odd numbered year - check.

That was Sooner football!

oudavid1
10/26/2011, 11:09 AM
Stoops on the sideline - check.
Sooner on the uniforms - check.
Lose to Tech in an odd numbered year - check.

That was Sooner football!

Lets put it behind us

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2011, 12:46 PM
Lets put it behind us

Just helping out a fellow fan who is experiences more angst than justified.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/26/2011, 02:39 PM
And by the way, we as fans left early Sat night with the game still in limbo. I suggest we take off the Austin Box tribute from Soonerfans.com. We didn't earn it.

Nice man f*ckin NICE!!! :courage:

8timechamps
10/26/2011, 03:59 PM
The point of wearing the #12 jersey is to honor Box, not to honor the Sooners. Having #12 on the field when the defense is out there is not just a tribute, but a reminder to Austin's family and friends of what he loved most. Taking that away from his family, friends and fans because we lost and didn't play well, would almost be offensive to me. Sad, at the very least.

Mad Dog Madsen
10/26/2011, 04:16 PM
The point of wearing the #12 jersey is to honor Box, not to honor the Sooners. Having #12 on the field when the defense is out there is not just a tribute, but a reminder to Austin's family and friends of what he loved most. Taking that away from his family, friends and fans because we lost and didn't play well, would almost be offensive to me. Sad, at the very least.

You are 110% correct sir!

...And just to clarify I was bein sarcastic in my last post. It's hard to pick up on sometime.

oudavid1
10/26/2011, 11:07 PM
Just helping out a fellow fan who is experiences more angst than justified.

Oh I know, I didnt mean the post to come off as like a command. I just hate that we lost the streak.

nativesooner
10/27/2011, 12:09 PM
Colvin will wear it... He had a decent game at two positions....

Or has he already worn it?

Toronto Sooner
10/27/2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, (though not his A game) Colvin was one of our better players on D. Things would have been even worst had he not stepped up and help calm the D situation down a bit in the second half.

I believe he has worn the jersey before. Though, nothing wrong with wearing it a second time.

Sooner_Tuf
10/27/2011, 01:11 PM
I am now dumber for having read every word in this thread. Thanks, I really didn't need any help in that department. :stupid:

8timechamps
10/27/2011, 03:27 PM
I am now dumber for having read every word in this thread. Thanks, I really didn't need any help in that department. :stupid:

I didn't think that was possible :)

85sooners
10/27/2011, 03:54 PM
:stupid::stupid:

btb916
10/27/2011, 09:56 PM
Explain to me how a poor defensive performance translates into a lack of heart. They do not equal one another. Yes this might have been the case Sat night, but there is no way to know exactly what it was unless you were a part of it. I could have all the heart in the world in my job but if I'm put in a position to fail by my superiors does that mean I have no heart?

I was just commenting about you saying that was the 'stupidest' thing you'd ever read. If THAT'S the stupidest thing you've ever read, you must not get out much.

Yes I know you were just exaggerating :)

Blue
10/27/2011, 10:21 PM
I was just commenting about you saying that was the 'stupidest' thing you'd ever read. If THAT'S the stupidest thing you've ever read, you must not get out much.

Yes I know you were just exaggerating :)

Hang around this board enough and you'll hear the stupidest thing you've ever heard every couple of days. :D

tcrb
10/27/2011, 10:42 PM

This^

And this thread is full of fail.....fans trying to suggest what this team should do or not do to honor their teammate. It's THEIR tribute to Austin, and they are only sharing it with us. If fans want to honor him, they can wear their own jersey, or make a sign, or say a prayer.

Sooner_Tuf
10/28/2011, 08:45 PM
I didn't think that was possible :)

I didn't believe it was possible either :beaten: