PDA

View Full Version : Haywood?

Bxbysooner
10/24/2011, 06:39 PM
Reporting he is transferring at the semester....

MelloYello
10/24/2011, 06:41 PM
WTF

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 06:45 PM
Must have been the food poisoning.

silverwheels
10/24/2011, 06:48 PM
Must have been the food poisoning.

That's a lot of puking between now and the end of the semester.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 06:49 PM
Link?

McDuck
10/24/2011, 06:54 PM
Tweet from Kenny_Mossman and SoonerSportscom.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 06:55 PM
Tweet from Kenny_Mossman and SoonerSportscom.

Thanks!

SoonerofAlabama
10/24/2011, 07:22 PM
Why? Two seniors ahead of him.

AlbqSooner
10/24/2011, 07:23 PM
Two Seniors ahead of him AND he is getting some playing time.

oumartin
10/24/2011, 07:28 PM
maybe he is tired of his team choking against inferior opponents.

silverwheels
10/24/2011, 07:31 PM
Has to be a reason unrelated to football, otherwise he was set up to start for 2 years.

oumartin
10/24/2011, 07:32 PM
maybe he wants to play for a contender.. Is he transferring to OSU?

AlbqSooner
10/24/2011, 07:50 PM
Any chance Martin transfers to OSU?

oumartin
10/24/2011, 07:52 PM
Any chance Martin transfers to OSU?

nope. I'm not a winner

cccasooner2
10/24/2011, 08:00 PM
Probably tired of playing for a high school coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 08:06 PM
Probably realizes the TE in this offense is not going to be used

Neath a Western Sky
10/24/2011, 08:11 PM

Ditto. We used to use it a lot. Why not this season?

Boomer.....
10/24/2011, 08:12 PM
Why when we utilized Gresham so much?

Neath a Western Sky
10/24/2011, 08:12 PM
Oh, and this is a tough loss for the team, at least talent-wise.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 08:15 PM
I dunno..All I know is 209 pass receptions, 23 by the TE position, 6 for Haywood..Virtually ignored in the RZ..Maybe Heupel isn't big on using the position..As we morph more into the TT offense, the TE is turning into nothing more than another Olineman

tulsaoilerfan
10/24/2011, 08:18 PM
Wait, we have a Tight End on the team? Who woulda thunk it?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 08:19 PM
Didn't Stoops even point him out as someone who would be an impact player this season on the All Access?

JudInKC
10/24/2011, 08:58 PM
Heupel is lost as the OC at this point. Haywood is a great talent. This sucks.

SoonerofAlabama
10/24/2011, 09:01 PM
Throw to the TE.

gaylordfan1
10/24/2011, 09:08 PM
Nila to TE!

SoonerofAlabama
10/24/2011, 09:09 PM
More like Gaywood ;)

*He says in tears*

:)

cleller
10/24/2011, 09:23 PM
Big A is a real man. Unfortunately a TE on our team is an extra O-lineman, and we still cannot run the ball.

VA Sooner
10/24/2011, 09:40 PM
Haywood is stellar at tight end... was supposed to be the next Gresham. Must be unrelated to football. He's from Moore isn't he? Can't be homesick then.

AlboSooner
10/24/2011, 09:52 PM

People are saying Stoops has more to do with play-calling that Josh. Maybe Bobbie deserves more blame than the apologists would have you believe.

Sooner Cal
10/24/2011, 10:00 PM
Get over it guys. You sound like spoiled children. Who here wants to take OSU and give me points. If they are favored in Vegas, I'm going there to place my bet.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 11:01 PM

Has this been confirmed? If true, I assume it means he won't play anymore, correct?

TheUnnamedSooner
10/25/2011, 02:52 AM

Has this been confirmed? If true, I assume it means he won't play anymore, correct?

Google it. It's all over the webs. Didn't even suit up for the tech game.

StoopTroup
10/25/2011, 03:45 AM
I think it's been pretty clear how guys who complain about team issues get treated. We are a team not a bunch of individuals looking for a Team.

It would be great if Marty would go find him a winner every year maybe he can even be back for one or two games next year before trashing us. If Vegas had points on that I'd be laying some cash down there too.

OUTrumpet
10/25/2011, 05:41 AM

When we have a tight end that can catch reliably -- Smith, Gresham -- we use the tight end a lot.

When we had frying pan hands Moses, we rarely threw him the ball.

I wonder which category Haywood fits into?

Boomer.....
10/25/2011, 07:16 AM
Haywood to transfers from No. 11 Oklahoma

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Tight end Austin Haywood plans to transfer from No. 11 Oklahoma at the end of the semester.
Coach Bob Stoops announced after practice Monday that Haywood was going to "quit" and that "we're all good with that and wish him the best."
Haywood played in the Sooners' first six games this season, catching six passes for 42 yards. The sophomore was Oklahoma's top tight end behind seniors James Hanna and Trent Ratterree, leaving the future of the position for next season in question.
Haywood is the team's third offensive player to decide to transfer since the season started.
Co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell says Haywood "did some good things as a physical blocker but we've got to move forward with the guys that really want to be a part of what we're doing."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/10/24/oklahoma.austin.haywood.transfer.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a11

cleller
10/25/2011, 08:13 AM
When we have a tight end that can catch reliably -- Smith, Gresham -- we use the tight end a lot.

Can't point to where, but remember reading that Haywood is a classic blocking tight end, but not a great receiver. I guess he is like Brody Eldrige in that respect.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 08:17 AM
I find it bizarre that these players quit during the middle of the season. Especially Haywood since he was getting lots of PT. And we sure could have used J. Miller Saturday. Does it benefit these guys in any way to quit now vs. after the season is over?

SoonerAtKU
10/25/2011, 09:00 AM

Half a season, guys, and the very FIRST loss as an OC.

This is how fast the OC at Oklahoma gets washed up.

Good analysis.

cccasooner2
10/25/2011, 09:06 AM
Not on the roster on SoonerSports. Man, that was fast.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okla-m-footbl-mtt.html

colleyvillesooner
10/25/2011, 09:10 AM
Not on the roster on SoonerSports. Man, that was fast.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okla-m-footbl-mtt.html

Hell hath no fury like a Stoops scorned...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2011, 09:33 AM

Really a different offense with those guys

sooneron
10/25/2011, 09:33 AM
http://wordforge.net/images/smilies/CurlyBill.jpg

PLaw
10/25/2011, 09:42 AM

There is much more of a melt-down over this on The Schooner message board.

STEP - here is an interesting point / comment from OUOUThunder on that board:

---------------------------------------------
--- XanderCage wrote:

I There is dissension on the team and Huepel is not known for getting the ball to TE's you folks can guess why we are struggling! Players are not being given a chance to make plays

Absolutely false.... You need to look at the stats before you start throwing false info out there.......

Last year our TE's caught 28 passes in 14 games (Hanna - 18/Ratterree - 10)

This year our TE's have already caught 23 passes in just 7 games!!!!! (Hanna - 13/Ratterree - 4/Haywood - 6)

Our TE's are on pace to catch alot more passes this year than last year.. They are not being overlooked!!!!! They just arent getting in the endzone as often as last year!!!

Last edited Yesterday 7:50 PM by OUOUthunder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found that interesting.

Regardless, I hate losing players, but as Bear said at Bama and I will take editorial liberty here - "There are boys born to play football at Oklahoma". I guess Haywood just isn't one of those.

BOOMER

goingoneight
10/25/2011, 09:49 AM
Norvell's quote and Stoops using the word "quit" to describe the situation tells you all you need to know about how much we'll miss him. Talented as he may be, he doesn't want to be there.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2011, 09:57 AM
There is much more of a melt-down over this on The Schooner message board.

STEP - here is an interesting point / comment from OUOUThunder on that board:

--- XanderCage wrote:

I There is dissension on the team and Huepel is not known for getting the ball to TE's you folks can guess why we are struggling! Players are not being given a chance to make plays

Absolutely false.... You need to look at the stats before you start throwing false info out there.......

Last year our TE's caught 28 passes in 14 games (Hanna - 18/Ratterree - 10)

This year our TE's have already caught 23 passes in just 7 games!!!!! (Hanna - 13/Ratterree - 4/Haywood - 6)

Our TE's are on pace to catch alot more passes this year than last year.. They are not being overlooked!!!!! They just arent getting in the endzone as often as last year!!!

Last edited Yesterday 7:50 PM by OUOUthunder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found that interesting.

Regardless, I hate losing players, but as Bear said at Bama and I will take editorial liberty here - "There are boys born to play football at Oklahoma". I guess Haywood just isn't one of those.

BOOMER

Yeah I went back to look at stats since 2007...I think Haywood probably felt like after 7 games, he would have more than 6 catches...The way they talked about him in the offseason, I know I did. I really felt like he would end up getting 30-35 catches this year.

I think there is some frustration in that they are getting open but not getting the ball. I've seen it some in the endzone where the TE could make a play and doesn't get a look...I'm not pointing fingers, but our steady decline in the ability to score TDs in the redzone goes along with declining use of the TEs in the RZ..Our TEs seem to be only pass options when they are split out..If they put their hand on the ground, then no..

Sooner Tri
10/25/2011, 10:47 AM
So, does this free up a scholarship for another kicker?

PLaw
10/25/2011, 10:52 AM
I think there is some frustration in that they are getting open but not getting the ball. I've seen it some in the endzone where the TE could make a play and doesn't get a look...I'm not pointing fingers, but our steady decline in the ability to score TDs in the redzone goes along with declining use of the TEs in the RZ..Our TEs seem to be only pass options when they are split out..If they put their hand on the ground, then no..

^^^BINGO!!^^^

BOOMER

tator
10/25/2011, 11:09 AM
Just to be clear. After a year and a half of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become a Sooner, I started the Practice board, I had a 3rd string rating based on real effort not hype over two seasons and 1500 written requests, in the last seven weeks I can see this program is a place I don't want to be or get a moderate amount of playing time. There are two other schools which I believe have at least equivalent football equipment without the abusive message board fans. I am taking my blocking elsewhere.

Austin W. Haywood
President & CEO
Tight End Position Ltd. &
Glorified Lineman Ltd.

Pigface1
10/25/2011, 11:26 AM
He's mad b/c Landry isn't throwing him the ball. When you have Broyles, Stills, and then likely Franks in the slot or one of the RBs coming out of the backfield, the TE is going to be at best the 4th read in the progression. Haywood can catch the ball, many thought he'd be the next Keith Jackson.

Instead of keeping his mouth shut and working, knowing his time will come, he's going to go play for East BFE WGAFF State.

I do agree that we don't use TEs enough in the Red Zone. That's not Heupel's fault, IMO. He made a living throwing to Trent Smith.

BrockLanders
10/25/2011, 11:32 AM
Norvell's quote and Stoops using the word "quit" to describe the situation tells you all you need to know about how much we'll miss him. Talented as he may be, he doesn't want to be there.

What's Norvell's quote?

NOVSooner
10/25/2011, 11:39 AM
Haywood's dad said that his son wasn't happy at OU and Kevin Wilson leaving to coach at Indiana hurt his son b/c wilson recruited him and coached TE's.....

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 12:04 PM
Haywood's dad said that his son wasn't happy at OU and Kevin Wilson leaving to coach at Indiana hurt his son b/c wilson recruited him and coached TE's.....

First thing that makes any sense. But still, he should have hung in there for the season and got the practice and PT experience.

texas bandman
10/25/2011, 12:05 PM
Heywood to Indiana. :D

TahoeSOONER
10/25/2011, 12:16 PM
A local kid that grew up down the street from Norman that was getting major playing time and primed to go beast mode for the next few years and he just walks away? Quits?! This certainly doesn't add up. I can't remember any local kids not willing to put the team first and Haywood had the potential to be a major part of the offense for the next few years. There's got to be more to this story for him to walk away from the program.

Taxman71
10/25/2011, 01:30 PM
I really hope this isn't true. Heywood still has 2.5 years to develop into an All Conference, All American, NFL caliber tight-end and have a great career, life, cash, et al. Hate to see him throw it away just because he wasn't there by the age of 20.

Did anyone honestly predict TRRW becoming the greatest defensive player of the Stoops era after his first two seasons at OU? If you said yes, you lie.

MeMyself&Me
10/25/2011, 02:53 PM
I really hope this isn't true. Heywood still has 2.5 years to develop into an All Conference, All American, NFL caliber tight-end and have a great career, life, cash, et al. Hate to see him throw it away just because he wasn't there by the age of 20.

Did anyone honestly predict TRRW becoming the greatest defensive player of the Stoops era after his first two seasons at OU? If you said yes, you lie.

Just before the 2001 season (which was after two seasons of Stoops), I definitely remember hearing two national radio personalities mention him as the best player on the team. Can't remember who they were (it's been a long time) but his greatness was already being talked about by some at that point.

Taxman71
10/25/2011, 03:00 PM
I considered TRRW's first two seasons to be 1998 and 1999. I remember him on the field at TCU in the 1998 miracle finish.

PLaw
10/25/2011, 03:05 PM
Just saw this on The Oklahoman:

================================================== =============================
In August he had talked about discovering the work ethic needed to play Division I football.

“(I) changed in just being able to show up on time,” Haywood said. “Not being late to meetings and class and tutors. Just being more responsible. I had to learn from my mistakes.

“I think it will help me become a smarter player. Just being out there and knowing what I'm doing helps.”
================================================== ===============================

Seriously?? Time to grow up, son. The little things are important - being on time, being prepared. You are a naturally gifted athlete, which has served you well to this point. That gift can also be a curse unless you grow up and become responsible - like you have noted above. I hope for your sake that the lights have truly came on and you are successful wherever life may take you.

BOOMER

MeMyself&Me
10/25/2011, 03:27 PM
I considered TRRW's first two seasons to be 1998 and 1999. I remember him on the field at TCU in the 1998 miracle finish.

Sorry, I missread. Thought you meant after two seasons under Stoops.

badger
10/25/2011, 03:57 PM
Can't point to where, but remember reading that Haywood is a classic blocking tight end, but not a great receiver. I guess he is like Brody Eldrige in that respect.

This is why this is so perplexing. Brody is on an NFL team roster (not a practice squad, but a final, 52-man roster!) and Gresham was a first round pick and key to his team's offense. Two NFL roster guys recently from the Sooner program and Haywood doesn't want to continue with that path also?

Someone gave him bad advice.

8timechamps
10/25/2011, 04:16 PM
A local kid that grew up down the street from Norman that was getting major playing time and primed to go beast mode for the next few years and he just walks away? Quits?! This certainly doesn't add up. I can't remember any local kids not willing to put the team first and Haywood had the potential to be a major part of the offense for the next few years. There's got to be more to this story for him to walk away from the program.

I'm with you! I suspect we'll never know all the details, and that's fine by me. If he's quitting, then that's disappointing. If there are other driving forces, then I wish him the best in his future and thank him for his contribution.

VA Sooner
10/25/2011, 05:40 PM
Reading the later posts in this thread... I have a much better understanding.

Thanks for enlightenment!

gaylordfan1
10/25/2011, 06:53 PM
BBJ said he was upset with the way the TE position was being used in the offense with Josh as the caller. Reports that he had a better relationship with Wilson and just wanted to leave. Apparently His dad was pretty upset with his decision but said he supports his choice.

REDREX
10/25/2011, 08:46 PM
He will leave and never be heard of again