PDA

View Full Version : So....Moving Along will someone please......

SoonerKnight
10/24/2011, 06:22 PM
Write some observations they have seen of KSU. If anyone has seen them play. I think it's time to look at KSU who is undefeated. This seems like a tough game for us! I hope the team plays with fire and lights these guys up!! I really don't want another loss like last week.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 06:28 PM
I've watched a couple of KSU games (Miami and KU). Although I didn't really focus on anything specifically, they are a blue-collar team with no real stand-out stars. A typical Bill Snyder team.

They make their living on the defensive side of the ball. Other than KU and Kent State, they have won by an average of 4 points.

Their QB (Collin Klein) is also their leading rusher, but none of their offensive players are gamechangers. Yet, they seem to get it done.

Manhattan is a tough place to play for the Sooners, and this may be a tough game. I happen to think we show our resolve in this one, and win going away. But, I'm a sunshine pumper. :)

soonercastor
10/24/2011, 06:28 PM
If we can't stop the run we're ****ed. Their play action pass is deadly, especially if they have their way with the running game. On defense I have no clue.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 06:31 PM
I only saw parts of their game vs. TT. Tech moved the ball through the KSU secondary just as they did through ours. The difference was KSU was able to force some critical mistakes late in the game that proved to be the difference. Also, the KSU offense, unlike ours, was resilient enough to keep the game close when Tech had the edge early.

I think style match-up favors us. KSU will not spread us out and should not have a great deal of success passing the ball. As stated above, we should be able to pass effectively as TT did and we should pull away if we can avoid the mistakes. But KSU is scrappy and they seem to manufacture points every game outside the normal route of the offense. It looks like luck if you watch 1 game, but it's not if they can repeat it - which they have done.

cvsooner
10/24/2011, 06:38 PM
Very very solid team. Great fundamentals. QB doesn't have a great arm but is a deceptive runner...faster and stronger than you think. Not great receivers, but solid. They throw just enough to get it done and keep the defense from solely keying on the run. QB is a lot like Franklin of Mizzou though probably a better decision maker. In some ways a bit like our old 'bone teams: lots of runs and then, boom, throws downfield for long gains. As poor as our d was against Tech, this should be a little easier because the passing game isn't excellent. But overpursuing on runs will kill us. I think our offense will have some trouble moving the ball as well, unless we dig deep and find something extra. We seem to have a lack of resolve there. I hope we win but I won't be surprised if we lose a close one. KSU's wins over Miami and Tech are looking better all the time.

VoiceofReality
10/24/2011, 07:16 PM
I've watched a couple since I live in manhattan ks now. Couple of things to add; ksu's offense is built around running the clock. They will run the playclock as much as they can on every possession.

I have no doubt they will use a lot of misdirection against us to slow the pursuit. They run one of the slowest developing zone reads in the history of football. If our D gets penetration we can shut it down. Klein is almost unathletic looking, but smart. He doesn't throw very well but they set up their throwing attempts well that receivers are wide open; they basically lull the D to sleep by running and when the pass comes it takes the D by surprise.

Defensively, their stats look pretty good, but a good portion of that is sue to how long their offense is on the field. Where they win games is by keeping it close and making a play (or getting amazing breaks) at the end. With our horrid run blocking we will struggle to move it on the ground, though KSU does give up some pretty good runs at times.

Their special teams are clearly better than OU's are though. That's what happens when special teams are a priority instead of an afterthought.

If OU can keep turnovers to a minimum, not give up a special teams score, and force them to pass, OU can win pretty handily. If they spend this week reading press clippings instead of practicing (again), OU will get beaten like a rented mule.

KSU is predictable in their effort and teamwork. They are what they are. The biggest question is which OU team shows up. The crowd will be nuts. They hate OU and have irrational hatred for Stoops and Venables. Coming out strong and taking the out of it will be crucial.

Personally, after seeing OU vs Mizzu, at Kansas and watching the Tech game, I think OU will be very fortunate to win. I would never take OU to cover the spread. KSU may be the worst undefeated team I've ever seen in person, but they have that "team of destiny" look to them right now.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 07:22 PM
Has there ever been a coach leave a successful program, have the program fall back to abysmal, and that same coach come back and revive it? Spurrier is close with his brief stint in the NFL, then to SC, but other than that, I can't think of any. They usually end up bad. Bill Snyder is a great coach.

Frozen Sooner
10/24/2011, 07:29 PM
John Robinson was OK in his return to USC, wasn't he? Won the Pac-10 a couple of times.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 07:44 PM
John Robinson was OK in his return to USC, wasn't he? Won the Pac-10 a couple of times.

Yeah, he could be considered a success. I think he won two or three PAC titles. Didn't he have some bad years at the end of his second stint? I'm much too lazy to search for it.

SoonerKnight
10/24/2011, 07:47 PM
Has there ever been a coach leave a successful program, have the program fall back to abysmal, and that same coach come back and revive it? Spurrier is close with his brief stint in the NFL, then to SC, but other than that, I can't think of any. They usually end up bad. Bill Snyder is a great coach.

This worries me! Snyder beat the crap out of a 2003 team that was very good! Now we got to play him at their house and we looked bad last week. I just hope we can pull it out!!