PDA

View Full Version : This one's for you, STEP

A Sooner in Texas
10/24/2011, 06:18 PM
You may not want to read this if you're eating:

Woman gets fecal transplant from husband

MomHouston has been a bit of a heartwarming story trend of late, what with the couple who died holding hands after 72 years of marriage. There are certain benefits to staying married so long, raising children, shared history, loving your best friend, etc… And now there’s this:

After 52 years of marriage Pat Shoop, 75, received the ultimate gift from her husband Bob: a dose of his fecal matter, a transplant that cured her of a horrible illness.

According to MSNBC, Pat suffered from a bacterial illness called C. diff infection. She was diagnosed in May of 2010. The disease caused diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Pat describes it as the worst flu of her life. She believes she was infected with the bacteria while in a nursing home for a broken arm, or when she was in the hospital being treated for breast cancer.

Doctors decided the only way to cure Pat of the illness was to transplant a stool from a healthy donor, emulsified and mixed with water or saline, directly into Pat’s own gut. Once there, the fecal bacteria restore the intestinal flora of the patient’s stomach.

One can imagine asking a person to submit to having their fecal matter used in this way must be a delicate and strange proposition. But after more than 50 years of loving marriage, you can probably be sure your significant other will be there for you.

For Pat, Bob was willing. After a night at a nearby hotel eating chocolate, wine and steak, Bob produced the appropriate stool sample and Pat was whisked away to the hospital to have it inserted in her intestines through a tube in her nose. She did not smell or taste it.

Within just a few days Pat was better.

“Now, I’m disgustingly normal,” she says.

And that, is a love that conquers all.

http://blog.chron.com/momhouston/2011/10/woman-receives-fecal-transplant-from-her-husband/

This must be a gift STEP can really get behind.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 06:22 PM
You may not want to read this if you're eating:

Woman gets fecal transplant from husband

MomHouston has been a bit of a heartwarming story trend of late, what with the couple who died holding hands after 72 years of marriage. There are certain benefits to staying married so long, raising children, shared history, loving your best friend, etc… And now there’s this:

After 52 years of marriage Pat Shoop, 75, received the ultimate gift from her husband Bob: a dose of his fecal matter, a transplant that cured her of a horrible illness.

According to MSNBC, Pat suffered from a bacterial illness called C. diff infection. She was diagnosed in May of 2010. The disease caused diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Pat describes it as the worst flu of her life. She believes she was infected with the bacteria while in a nursing home for a broken arm, or when she was in the hospital being treated for breast cancer.

Doctors decided the only way to cure Pat of the illness was to transplant a stool from a healthy donor, emulsified and mixed with water or saline, directly into Pat’s own gut. Once there, the fecal bacteria restore the intestinal flora of the patient’s stomach.

One can imagine asking a person to submit to having their fecal matter used in this way must be a delicate and strange proposition. But after more than 50 years of loving marriage, you can probably be sure your significant other will be there for you.

For Pat, Bob was willing. After a night at a nearby hotel eating chocolate, wine and steak, Bob produced the appropriate stool sample and Pat was whisked away to the hospital to have it inserted in her intestines through a tube in her nose. She did not smell or taste it.

Within just a few days Pat was better.

“Now, I’m disgustingly normal,” she says.

And that, is a love that conquers all.

http://blog.chron.com/momhouston/2011/10/woman-receives-fecal-transplant-from-her-husband/

This must be a gift STEP can really get behind.

I always find it kinda funny when medical professionals use the word "gut" or "guts". They almost go out of their way to use long medical jargon, then throw in the occasional "gut".

That's all.

Breadburner
10/24/2011, 06:30 PM
I knew this was about PooP.....!!!!!

AlbqSooner
10/24/2011, 07:21 PM
I suppose if I were in her condition I would accept the Doctor's recommendation. I KNOW I would suggest that we try some yogurt or some such FIRST to try to restore the appropriate bacteria in the gut.

I mean really - "Honey, why don't you take a dump and shove it up my nose" is not a phrase I have ever considered uttering.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2011, 11:08 AM
Oh.. My... Lowered

KantoSooner
10/25/2011, 11:31 AM
Our little microbial friends are very important there in our ... guts.

That's one reason I always eat food from street vendors when I'm travelling overseas.

The Red Cross still won't take my blood. Why? I don't know. It makes me sad.