PDA

View Full Version : Do you still have confidence in OU football

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 04:09 PM
F' it. Too many people just didn't get what I was trying to say. They thought I was slamming the team or giving up on the Sooners. Maybe if I rewrite this first post in a different way they'll get it.

My question was, do you feel how the Bills fans felt before their fourth Super Bowl? Very proud to have made your fourth Super Bowl in four years, always a die-hard fan, yet just not allowing yourself to believe that you might actually win that fourth Super Bowl. After getting your heart broken so many times, doubt starts to creep in about whether the cards are just stacked against you and it's emotionally easier to expect less and be pleasantly surprised if you happen to win.

Have you lost that swagger that you had 7 or 8 years ago? Hell, maybe "swagger" would have been taken better than "confidence" as a thread title.

Sooner5030
10/24/2011, 04:12 PM
I am confident that in 5 years we'll be in the hunt for a BCS or NC game while BAMA and LSU are down yet Florida, Michigan, FSU or USC are competing against us for tops.

I know it bothers alot of folks that we cannot close the deal. But I like the fact that the last 11 years have been nothing like 92-98.

KantoSooner
10/24/2011, 04:14 PM
No.
There is only one natl champ each year. And you pretty much have to run the table to be that team.
We have as good a shot as anyone, but the littlest thing can squash your dream.
I've been watching since the mid-1970's and there were numerous teams along the way who were as good as those who won the trophy. They just ****ed up a little bit here or there and POOF! All gone.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/24/2011, 04:14 PM
No, but I've lost confidence in our fanbase that they can have realistic expectations. Every year, our fanbase has the exact same immutable number in the loss column -> 0 -> Instead of a realistic 0 to 2.

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 04:19 PM
I'm not so sure Bama will be down unless 1) Saban leaves which is always a possibility or 2) they have some type of NCAA trouble. They'll have down years, of course, but as long as Saban is there and they stay clean then they'll continue to have outstanding years.

I don't know what to say about LSU. They're kind of a flash in the pan as far as the history of CFB goes. I also don't think their two title teams were outstanding or terribly deserving of a national title. Any other year that two loss LSU team would have been playing in New Orleans a week earlier.

Okie35
10/24/2011, 04:22 PM
No, but I've lost confidence in our fanbase that they can have realistic expectations. Every year, our fanbase has the exact same immutable number in the loss column -> 0 -> Instead of a realistic 0 to 2.

This.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 04:25 PM

This may be the understatement of the year.

We went 15 years between our last two national titles, so to think we are in the running every year is just extreme. I'm a fan, win or lose, but I don't expect a national title often (although, I thought we had a run in us this year). The loss to TT hasn't shaken my confidence in the program one bit.

TUSooner
10/24/2011, 04:25 PM
Since 1971 I have felt that OU "could maybe" win the MNC in all but a few years. OK several years, but it's kinda-sorta possible with OU more times than not. I still feel that way. And I rebound pretty well when we fail to get there, because I am old enough to know that it really is JUST a game.

But I won't feel really confident about our chances again until we start playing some smash-mouth, smothering defense. Right now, the "meerkat no-huddle finesse house-of-cards" passing game isn't good enough by itself to beat good, motivated teams (who frequently seem more motivated than OU in big games).

We won't have smash-mouth D until BV is gone; and he'll never leave while Stoops is here; and Stoops will never be fired. So.... well ****, I guess we have no chance.

soonercoop1
10/24/2011, 04:26 PM
Haven't had confidence the D could win us a MNC in several seasons...Stoops teams have consistently had the exact same problems for several seasons now but he refuses or can't fix them...

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 04:26 PM
I never believed the expectation for this year. Most seasons, the pre-season favorite finished the previous year as an elite squad that returned all the key players with good reason to believe the replacements for the others would not be a drop-off. We did not finish last season as an elite squad - good, but not elite. I understood the speculation of getting better along with the fact that most the other top teams were losing too man key players, but there was more speculation than usual. We are still very good, and closer to elite than last year, but not quite there. In the meantime, the doubts at Bama/LSU were answered (QB questions) to be sufficient.

I'm just addressing this season in particular. But we did field a team as good or better than anyone in '08. I hope we can do it again, but it won't be every year.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 04:29 PM
I haven't loss confidence, because I feel like I have a pretty good idea how they are going to do ahead of time.

TUSooner
10/24/2011, 04:29 PM
Haven't had confidence the D could win us a MNC in several seasons...Stoops teams have consistently had the exact same problems for several seasons now but he refuses or can't fix them...

And there's this ^^^^

badger
10/24/2011, 04:30 PM
Meh, we've lost to Tech before (mostly due to Mike Leach, yes). It's not the end of the world. Boomer Sooner anyway :)

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 04:30 PM

First off, the whole point of this thread is about how I've lost confidence as a defensive mechanism. Considering that, I'm obviously not buying any fan's bravado about how good our team is going to be. But, anyway, this goes way beyond the fan's expectations. I'm wondering if over the last few years if the media has oversold OU.

cleller
10/24/2011, 04:31 PM
I've been worried the comparisons to the Buffalo Bills would start.

OUNASH
10/24/2011, 04:31 PM
Since 1971 I have felt that OU "could maybe" win the MNC in all but a few years. OK several years, but it's kinda-sorta possible with OU more times than not. I still feel that way. And I rebound pretty well when we fail to get there, because I am old enough to know that it really is JUST a game.

But I won't feel really confident about our chances again until we start playing some smash-mouth, smothering defense. Right now, the "meerkat no-huddle finesse house-of-cards" passing game isn't good enough by itself to beat good, motivated teams (who frequently seem more motivated than OU in big games).

We won't have smash-mouth D until BV is gone; and he'll never leave while Stoops is here; and Stoops will never be fired. So.... well ****, I guess we have no chance.

I have been an Oklahoma fan since 1970 and feel the same way. We are fortunate, but I agree about BV.

fwsooner22
10/24/2011, 04:34 PM
We have to know how to lose because it is inevitable. Let's see what happens Saturday.

soonerbub
10/24/2011, 04:42 PM
Short answer: NEVER lose confidence in the Sooners

let's put our big boy pants on and DOMINATE the kitties

BOOOOMER

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 04:43 PM
I've been worried the comparisons to the Buffalo Bills would start.

In college, if you lose too many title games one can argue that you never should have been there to start with. In the Bills' case, they played their way into the Super Bowl. They won their conference outright.

You can tell a Bills fan that they should be proud to have won their conference four years in a row. No other NFL team did that. At worst they were more successful than all but three other NFL teams during that period. Can't take a whole heck of a lot of pride out of the pollsters/computers picking you to play in a game.

TahoeSOONER
10/24/2011, 05:00 PM
I have all the confidence in the world and there's no reason not to. However, a little over confident team got a reality check and really showed a sense of entitlement on the field. It was one of many problems this past weekend but hopefully it was a lesson to them and they don't use injuries, crowds, officiating and weather as an excuse. We just got beat by a team that wanted it more that night.

soonerbrat
10/24/2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, I still have confidence. I still love them and anyone that thinks Bob should be fired is out of their ever loving mind.

East Coast Bias
10/24/2011, 05:27 PM
I believe our expectations are too high, year in and year out. We all read the sunshine pumping and buy into this because we are fans. Its not enought to have the talent, it still comes down to execution and as Stoops always says "Thats why we line up and play the game". No one can execute at 100% of potential all the time, these missteps are bound to happen. The sad part about college football is that if you lose one game essentially you are out of the race. At least in the NFL teams can qualify for the play offs, get hot and win it all.

King Barry's Back
10/24/2011, 05:53 PM

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. That no-huddle finesse house-of-cards passing game that Tuberville brought to Norman on Saturday sure was good enough to beat a good team, and no one accuses them of having a particularly smash-mouth defense.

And I know the "big game" losers charge is often brought against Stoops's Sooners, but my criticism is all the small or average games that his teams drop -- and Tech was just the most recent example. Missouri and A&M last year, the blow out in Lubbock the year before, etc etc etc.

For some reason, Stoops's teams PRACTICALLY ALWAYS have mid-season let downs that either mean very close wins over unimpressive foes, or outright losses that ruin otherwise stellar seasons.

It's happened so often that I firmly it is a trait of Stoops and his style of coaching, and I don't think he can figure what to do differently.

SoonerKnight
10/24/2011, 06:14 PM
Ex[ectations are set high when your coach has been to the big game more than any other coach in the BCS era!!! We expect to win!!! Now, as far as going after Stoops I say lay off it!!! He is the best coach out there. He can only do so much. They just took too long to pull Lyn and make adjustments. First of all we have a lot of injuries!! Our two deep is talented but not as experienced! We are still a young team. Remember when we were making fun of * for saying their team was young? We'll be fine! Maybe we don't get to the big game but maybe just maybe we can dash little orange brother's hopes and win out going foward and set another winning streak record say we go for 50 this time at least!!!

usmc-sooner
10/24/2011, 06:30 PM

it's not just on defense where we don't fix problems. It's KO team, the FG kicker, inability to score TD's in the redzone, run blocking...losing to inferior teams every year. I still don't see how the #3 team in the nation loses at home to a 29.5 point under dog. Oh well stranger things have happened.

TUSooner
10/24/2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. That no-huddle finesse house-of-cards passing game that Tuberville brought to Norman on Saturday sure was good enough to beat a good team, and no one accuses them of having a particularly smash-mouth defense.

And I know the "big game" losers charge is often brought against Stoops's Sooners, but my criticism is all the small or average games that his teams drop -- and Tech was just the most recent example. Missouri and A&M last year, the blow out in Lubbock the year before, etc etc etc.

For some reason, Stoops's teams PRACTICALLY ALWAYS have mid-season let downs that either mean very close wins over unimpressive foes, or outright losses that ruin otherwise stellar seasons.

It's happened so often that I firmly it is a trait of Stoops and his style of coaching, and I don't think he can figure what to do differently.

I'll say this about losing the 'average" games -- Lou Holtz (yeah I hate to cite him as an authority) has said that its' impossible to get your team "up" for every game, so you just have to hope they cane win the games when they are not really up. I guess we can't do that.

But how mnay MNC's have been won by a TTech or any team with a meerkat finesse house-of-cards offense -- and not much defense? Compare that to MNC's with strong defenses. OU beat an "offensive" FSU in 01 -- with a great defense.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 06:43 PM
it's not just on defense where we don't fix problems. It's KO team, the FG kicker, inability to score TD's in the redzone, run blocking...losing to inferior teams every year. I still don't see how the #3 team in the nation loses at home to a 29.5 point under dog. Oh well stranger things have happened.

The charge of losing to inferior teams includes a bit of homerism. I fully expected the Mizzou outcome last year because I had watched all the OU games up to that point and 3 or 4 of the Mizzou games. Mizzou was clearly playing better ball at the time they played, so that was not an inferior team. Likewise, aTm was playing on par with OU at the time and the game was at their place. I didn't notice any losses to inferior teams in '09 - maybe equal foes. But our '09 squad was maybe above average. Yes TTech was inferior, but not by as much as the idiots that put 29.5 points thought and I have to go back to CU '07 to find the last loss to a truly inferior foe. There are many OU fans that think anytime we lose it's to an lesser team by definition - believing don't make it so.

usmc-sooner
10/24/2011, 07:01 PM
The charge of losing to inferior teams includes a bit of homerism. I fully expected the Mizzou outcome last year because I had watched all the OU games up to that point and 3 or 4 of the Mizzou games. Mizzou was clearly playing better ball at the time they played, so that was not an inferior team. Likewise, aTm was playing on par with OU at the time and the game was at their place. I didn't notice any losses to inferior teams in '09 - maybe equal foes. But our '09 squad was maybe above average. Yes TTech was inferior, but not by as much as the idiots that put 29.5 points thought and I have to go back to CU '07 to find the last loss to a truly inferior foe. There are many OU fans that think anytime we lose it's to an lesser team by definition - believing don't make it so.

if you go by who's favored it's not homerism. Hell we've had some underwhelming wins where I've thought we were out schemed and out coached but won on talent alone. Utah State and Air Force come to mind last year. Just cause some OU fans want to make excuses don't make it so either.

BTW I love Stoops

Soonerjeepman
10/24/2011, 07:11 PM
the only thing I get frustrated with is after a loss the players and coaches all say how they seemed to have a day or 2 or all week of "bad practices".."lack of focus".."not what they need to be"...it's like if they had a better practice or stayed focused they would have won..losses happen...that's life and honestly there is a lot more bad crap out there than a fball game loss...just admit the team was better that day (whatever the reason) and beat ya...move on..

but I will ALWAYS be a SOONER!

3rdgensooner
10/24/2011, 07:12 PM
..just admit the team was better that day (whatever the reason) and beat ya...move on..

That's exactly what I heard Stoops say after the game.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 07:18 PM
the only thing I get frustrated with is after a loss the players and coaches all say how they seemed to have a day or 2 or all week of "bad practices".."lack of focus".."not what they need to be"...it's like if they had a better practice or stayed focused they would have won..losses happen...that's life and honestly there is a lot more bad crap out there than a fball game loss...just admit the team was better that day (whatever the reason) and beat ya...move on..

but I will ALWAYS be a SOONER!

Well said. Tech played about as good a game as they could have. We played pretty close to as bad as we could have. I give Tuberville and Tech credit for earning a solid win for their program. We just got beat. I think it's that simple.

And, we move on.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 07:20 PM
if you go by who's favored it's not homerism. Hell we've had some underwhelming wins where I've thought we were out schemed and out coached but won on talent alone. Utah State and Air Force come to mind last year. Just cause some OU fans want to make excuses don't make it so either.

BTW I love Stoops

Favored by who? If I put out the odds, I would have favored Mizzou last year and rated aTm a toss-up. I don't take the odds at face value if I've watched the games myself. OU is pretty consistently rated high based on "brand". And I certainly take those ranking services with a grain of salt. Regardless of Saturday, we are still a top 10 team, but #3 was pushing it from the games I've watched. I'm not looking for excuses; in fact I'm saying just the opposite - that often OU isn't as good as the homer fans think they are. Unless you take being a lesser team as an excuse, that is.

Jack T.
10/24/2011, 07:31 PM
High expectations? No doubt. I honestly expect to win a ring every year, and what other team in the nation can say the same thing year in, year out? Why shouldn't I expect to win it? On average, we win a ring every 7-8 years. We have 10 and 11 win seasons with boring regularity.

All of which makes the rest of the country giggle like a school girl when we lose. . .and that is really hard to swallow.

PLaw
10/24/2011, 07:31 PM
First a disclaimer, this is not a slam on the team or coaches. I think we have a very fine coaching staff. I'm 99.9% sure that we would not find a coach better that Stoops and definitely not one who would win as many B12 championships as Stoops has done.

That being said, I've slowly lost confidence that OU will ever reach or exceed expectations. It's either because our expectations placed on the teams has been too high (my thought) or because we fail to realize our potential. For the sake of my argument, it doesn't really matter which is true.

I probably had the most confidence in our program in 2003 before the conference championship game. I honestly thought that team couldn't be beat. I still was very confident in 2004 before the fiasco in Miami. After that game I started to wonder how much is real and how much is illusion. Then we had an embarrassing loss to WVU. (Boise State wasn't a great surprise as that wasn't a great OU team especially with a mediocre QB and Peterson at much less than 100%.)

It got to a point where I believed the SEC guys who were saying that Florida would beat us by 50. It just seemed to fit. In retrospect I look back at the UF game thinking how we could have won #7 that night but at the time I was absolutely thrilled that we didn't get embarrassed.

Anyway, as a fan I've completely lost my MOJO (not that that makes any difference). It's like I've become a 1990's Buffalo Bills fan - keeping expectations low so as not to get disappointed yet again. Anyone else feel this?

WTF??? stupid post. The band wagon crew left at about half time last Saturday night and I imagine you were on it. OU will be fine - with or without your fandom. You clearly don't understand how darn hard it is just to make that last game and anything less than perfection doesn't get you there.

Let me remind you that we have played for more MNC's than any other team. We darn near won two of the three we lost and likely would have won those games with a break here or there. Sometimes it takes a little luck, sometimes things break your way. OU has been fortunate, but OU has been good, too.

Oh, BTW, beating UF would have been NO. 8!! :livid:

BOOMER

AlbqSooner
10/24/2011, 07:44 PM
I started watching OU football with my parents when we got our first TV in September, 1954. That, for those of you who do not automatically recognize it, was early in the 47 game win streak. Since then I have been a part of the fan base of a team that is recognized by football fans across the country as one of the few teams with a winning tradition.

When Wilkinson left after the '63 season, we had our down years until '71. We still won during those years and as a fan, I still got a lot of enjoyment watching.

When Switzer left after the '88 season, we had our down years until '99 or arguably 2000. Mercifully I was in Florida at that time and did not have to suffer through the week by week of what was OU football. I did, however, get a lot of enjoyment watching whenever they were on TV in Florida - win or lose.

Since 2000, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of watching OU football. I am not going to bother looking up the facts and figures, but no one can seriously say that OU has been anything less than a major power during the ensuing years. This year is no different. We are currently in the top 10 - AGAIN - and have a good chance to move up and play in a BCS bowl.

Yes, perhaps it is because of the disappointing years followed by turn-arounds, but I do still have confidence in OU football.

I have confidence that OU will end this season with a record that a bunch of teams would love to have just once.

I have confidence that OU will be a team to be reckoned with next year.

I have confidence that OU will continue to recruit, develop and turn out some outstanding young men who make us proud to call them Sooners, both in athletics and in life.

I have confidence that OU will win another National Championship in my lifetime.

I have confidence that I will gain a tremendous amount of enjoyment watching OU football for the remainder of my life.

Watching the Sooners for 57 years instills that kind of confidence in me.

Those of you who now question your confidence in OU football - check back with me in a few years.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 07:49 PM
I started watching OU football with my parents when we got our first TV in September, 1954. That, for those of you who do not automatically recognize it, was early in the 47 game win streak. Since then I have been a part of the fan base of a team that is recognized by football fans across the country as one of the few teams with a winning tradition.

When Wilkinson left after the '63 season, we had our down years until '71. We still won during those years and as a fan, I still got a lot of enjoyment watching.

When Switzer left after the '88 season, we had our down years until '99 or arguably 2000. Mercifully I was in Florida at that time and did not have to suffer through the week by week of what was OU football. I did, however, get a lot of enjoyment watching whenever they were on TV in Florida - win or lose.

Since 2000, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of watching OU football. I am not going to bother looking up the facts and figures, but no one can seriously say that OU has been anything less than a major power during the ensuing years. This year is no different. We are currently in the top 10 - AGAIN - and have a good chance to move up and play in a BCS bowl.

Yes, perhaps it is because of the disappointing years followed by turn-arounds, but I do still have confidence in OU football.

I have confidence that OU will end this season with a record that a bunch of teams would love to have just once.

I have confidence that OU will continue to recruit, develop and turn out some outstanding young men who make us proud to call them Sooners, both in athletics and in life.

I have confidence that OU will win another National Championship in my lifetime.

I have confidence that I will gain a tremendous amount of enjoyment watching OU football for the remainder of my life.

Those of you who now question your confidence in OU football - check back with me in a few years.

This is deserving of a thread all its own. I'm not as old (and wise :) ) as you, but not a lot younger, and I've lived through some very bad OU football. I think anyone that has been through that as a fan, and came out the other side as a fan, can continue to have confidence in this team.

Besides, I am a fan of the University of Oklahoma, do I have a choice not to be confident? I'll always be a proud Sooner.

btb916
10/24/2011, 08:00 PM
I haven't read the post or any of the responses, only the title.

My answer to the question posed by the title: Absolutely.

JRAM
10/24/2011, 08:07 PM
jkj, after you pull your head out of your ***, read what you pinned on this forum.

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 08:09 PM
WTF??? stupid post. The band wagon crew left at about half time last Saturday night and I imagine you were on it. OU will be fine - with or without your fandom. You clearly don't understand how darn hard it is just to make that last game and anything less than perfection doesn't get you there.

Let me remind you that we have played for more MNC's than any other team. We darn near won two of the three we lost and likely would have won those games with a break here or there. Sometimes it takes a little luck, sometimes things break your way. OU has been fortunate, but OU has been good, too.

Oh, BTW, beating UF would have been NO. 8!! :livid:

BOOMER

Geez, Dude! Did I ever say I stopped supporting OU? Did I ever say I stopped rooting for OU? Did I even criticize the team or coaches?

I did none of the above. If anything I said I think we've been a little oversold or I go into the season thinking that our talent level just can't be as good as the media/polls state it is. That can be taken as a defense of Stoops and the team.

I simply stated that years of frustration, losses in national title games, the the like I've lost that swagger I used to have as a fan. It was a comment about a how we (or at least I) can temper expectation as a defensive mechanism.

I was merely trying to have a conversation with others about their mental mindset and how some frustrations may have changed our confidence. I suppose that was a little too deep for you and you simpy read the post title and assumed I was somehow bailing on my team.

Read my post again with a little more of an open mind and you'll see that you absolutely jumped to the wrong conclusion about it.

Also keep in mind that some responses have migrated back to a criticism of the team or coaches. That wasn't the intent of my thread.

btb916
10/24/2011, 08:10 PM
Absolutely as in absolutely I have NOT lost confidence.

soonerman4life
10/24/2011, 08:18 PM

Well stated and eloquently written! Nothing more needs to be said.

tulsaoilerfan
10/24/2011, 08:20 PM

Exactly JKM; i would love to go undefeated every season, but i always figure we will lose at least 2 games; when you play 13 or 14 games it's damn hard to win them all no matter how much talent you have

BASSooner
10/24/2011, 08:21 PM
Exactly JKM; i would love to go undefeated every season, but i always figure we will lose at least 2 games; when you play 13 or 14 games it's damn hard to win them all no matter how much talent you have
This^

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 08:39 PM
Guys, I'll admit that my thread title might be a little misleading. I agree with everything Albq said. I have enjoyed the last decade of OU football. I have a lot of faith in our coaches and team. That wasn't my point and I think if you read past the thread title you'd realize that.

And, frankly guys, my confidence doesn't make a damn bit of difference. It doesn't impact the team. It doesn't impact my loyalty or support. It's just a statement about my thinking process and I was wondering if others had the same thinking process.

And by the way this is much more than just national titles. It extends to my confidence in whether our big conference wins are really the big wins we think they are. Afterall, didn't we hear over and over how bad the Big East was when we played WVU. Maybe they aren't so bad afterall and maybe they were a lot closer to the Big 12 than we thought.

Maybe I should have titled this thread, "Have you begun to temper your expectations?" Maybe that would have kept some of you from jumping to conclusions.

Ground_Attack
10/24/2011, 08:44 PM

Great response. I couldn't agree more. The expectations of our fanbase are ridiculous.

usmc-sooner
10/24/2011, 08:50 PM
Favored by who? If I put out the odds, I would have favored Mizzou last year and rated aTm a toss-up. I don't take the odds at face value if I've watched the games myself. OU is pretty consistently rated high based on "brand". And I certainly take those ranking services with a grain of salt. Regardless of Saturday, we are still a top 10 team, but #3 was pushing it from the games I've watched. I'm not looking for excuses; in fact I'm saying just the opposite - that often OU isn't as good as the homer fans think they are. Unless you take being a lesser team as an excuse, that is.

Vegas aint making money off longshots cashing in

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 09:01 PM
Vegas aint making money off longshots cashing in
Vegas is just the acumlated perception of the masses. Usually, pretty good, but not as good as breaking down strengths and weaknesses if you have the data. Plus Vegas deals in point spreads to even out the bets. I couldn't care less about point spreads where OU is concerned - just W's and L's. I still say OU doesn't lose much to inferior teams and that's exactly why OU under Stoops gets a high rating. Mizzou and aTm were quality teams last year and those losses didn't hurt that perception. This loss to TTech will, but it will be forgiven if it doesn't happen again for a while.

Oldnslo
10/24/2011, 09:04 PM
What I've lost confidence in is the "experts". We're overrated, just as many other teams are, every year. Tough teams on the rise? You never hear about them. What reporter, outside of Manhattan KS, went on the record to talk about how tough the 'cats would be this year? Instead, you heard all about Texas "reloading".

What a bunch of crap. It's easy for the national writers to pick established programs, and then it's easy for us to buy into all the BS. Anymore, I think we're all just being manipulated by ESPN for ratings and $$$.

Confidence in OU football? I love going to the games. I love spending time with my son. And I love that we win almost all of the time. Now, what was the question?

SoonerofAlabama
10/24/2011, 09:06 PM
Unrealistic expectations don't seem to be a problem for the Alabama and LSU fans I have to hear everyday.

TXBOOMER
10/24/2011, 09:10 PM
Honestly, I don't think we will win a MNC anytime soon. When I look at the athletes LSU and Bama put out on defense in all positions I don't think we compare. But WTF do I know? Boomer!

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 09:11 PM
What I've lost confidence in is the "experts". We're overrated, just as many other teams are, every year. Tough teams on the rise? You never hear about them. What reporter, outside of Manhattan KS, went on the record to talk about how tough the 'cats would be this year? Instead, you heard all about Texas "reloading".

Although I don't quite buy into your ESPN conspiracy theory, this is exactly what I meant about teams being over-rated because of "brand". It's in effect for OU just as much as it is for Texas. I think it's the experts being lazy as anything else. But I have to admit, if ESPN talks about the horns, 24 million pairs of eyes and ears pay attention. Not so many for KSU.

Jacie
10/24/2011, 09:18 PM
The King always had his best athletes play defense, yet most of his teams led or were among the leaders in yards per game and points per game.

Maybe Bob Stoops (BS2) should have a sitdown with Barry Switzer (BS1) and BS1 can present the outline of his Theory of Football class to BS2.

Whatever happens, at least I am not a whorn.

Now there's a fan base whose expectations practically never align with reality . . .

Ground_Attack
10/24/2011, 09:22 PM
Unrealistic expectations don't seem to be a problem for the Alabama and LSU fans I have to hear everyday.

Guaranteed, at least one of those fanbases will be thoroughly disappointed at season's end.

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2011, 09:32 PM

Seriously? Bama was the consensus pre-season #1 last year - much stronger conviction than ours this year. They ended up losing 3 games and that didn't crush anyone with unrealistic expectations? And as pointed out already - guaranteed both sets of fans hold them this year and only 1 will go home with them intact in 2 weeks. And they both may end up disappointing before it's all said and done.

VA Sooner
10/24/2011, 09:39 PM
I too lived through the years of darkness and despair in the early to late 90's after having two stellar decades of winning seasons and three national championships.

The dichotomy is far less of a degree now between athletes at all schools now and there's more exposure by the media driving this sport. It's not just having athletes and as many 5-stars as you can... just ask Florida State and Texas.

Texas Tech did it too us and we had better athletes... just didn't prepare well and youngsters didn't step up when the starters went down.

Just like Stoops said... any team can come into our backyard and "whoop us' if we don't play well. And we played horribly.

But not to the degree I give up on this team. Still plenty of football left.

olevetonahill
10/24/2011, 10:16 PM
I have Gained confidence that our Fans are Dumbasses

oksoonerdave
10/24/2011, 10:49 PM
Absolutely as in absolutely I have NOT lost confidence.

Nor I. OU has set the standard that ALL other teams are striving to attain.

StoopTroup
10/25/2011, 12:48 AM
I went ahead and read J's post and started down a ways of the first page and my answer suddenly came to me....

I don't Give a **** what any of you really think is wrong and like STEP I already could see what was getting ready to happen....

I know what happened and why after watching and rewatching the games this year. I'll say this...."nobody here can affect what Bob decides to do and it's been that way at OU ever since I started going to games in 1973."

So my answer to this post is this....

When I die....I'll be SOONER dead...until then I'm gonna try and see as many Sooner Games in person and on TV until that day happens.

As a Dear friend of mine once told me (Unfortunately he's not a Sooner Fan no matter how hard I've tried to convert him)....I'd bet on Old Ladies in Wheelchairs playing football" the only thing I think would be better is if it was old OU Ladies beating some Fexas old ladies in wheelchairs.

Okie35
10/25/2011, 01:17 AM

So true and going against spreads 99% of the time sucks too. I can't complain though because the defense should be prepared.

Oldnslo
10/25/2011, 10:51 AM
Although I don't quite buy into your ESPN conspiracy theory, this is exactly what I meant about teams being over-rated because of "brand". It's in effect for OU just as much as it is for Texas. I think it's the experts being lazy as anything else. But I have to admit, if ESPN talks about the horns, 24 million pairs of eyes and ears pay attention. Not so many for KSU.

Wait until bowl season, my friend! You'll see ESPN's dark work in every pairing!

we are merely potential Neilsen numbers being led to commerce on the alter of football.

The SEC is unbeatable because ESPN says so. The B1G is full of slow athletes... until they get to the pros... because ESPN perpetuates that myth. A 5-7 Saxet team without a qb is "loaded" because ESPN says so.

I haven't felt this manipulated since my HS gf dished out only HJ's.