PDA

View Full Version : Should we ditch the hurry up?

primetime43
10/24/2011, 11:12 AM
I look at the first half against Tech. We had absolutetly no rhythm and to me the hurry up compounds the problem. If you go 3 and out with the hurry up it's a death sentace for the defense. I just think the novelty is gone and teams are more prepared for it. I really believe we would have a better running game too. I look at LSU and Bama: Both offenses are doing just fine and they don't run the hurry up offense. I don't know how much of an advantage it is for us anymore??

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2011, 11:15 AM
The hurry up is fine. We've got two starting linemen out - Good and Habern. It showed against KU and Tech.

There's a reason starters are starters and backups are backups.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 11:18 AM
Why it made more sense in 2008:
1) It was new and teams hadn't seen it.
2) We had a special QB
3) We had a schematic advantage because we could go big or go spread without any substitute's.
4) We had an NFL O-Line.

TrophyCollector
10/24/2011, 11:42 AM
The hurry up is fine. We've got two starting linemen out - Good and Habern. It showed against KU and Tech.

Good played. I saw him miss several blocks.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 11:43 AM
^

I Am Right
10/24/2011, 11:57 AM
I look at the first half against Tech. We had absolutetly no rhythm and to me the hurry up compounds the problem. If you go 3 and out with the hurry up it's a death sentace for the defense. I just think the novelty is gone and teams are more prepared for it. I really believe we would have a better running game too. I look at LSU and Bama: Both offenses are doing just fine and they don't run the hurry up offense. I don't know how much of an advantage it is for us anymore??

Other than dropping balls not offenses fault. Defense!!!!!!!!

Redshirt
10/24/2011, 12:15 PM
This is what we have. If we huddled it would be to call these same plays.

BigTime1
10/24/2011, 12:29 PM

The hurry up gives us a huge advantage. It not only does catch teams off guard at times but it triples the amount of pressure on the defensive players and staff to make exact decisions within seconds. This is not only extremely mentally tiring but also physically which allows for increased production as the game goes on. So yes it is necessary it has absolutely nothing to do with "novelty" and we would likely be very average without it.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 12:31 PM

You are correct. there is a reason that starters are starters and backups are backups. However, there is no reason whatsoever that our backups cannot come in and fill the void left by the starter being out.

All it takes is preparation and readiness.

And with us having 2 OL coaches, there is absolutely no reason for much drop off on the OL.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 12:35 PM
The hurry up gives us a huge advantage. It not only does catch teams off guard at times but it triples the amount of pressure on the defensive players and staff to make exact decisions within seconds. This is not only extremely mentally tiring but also physically which allows for increased production as the game goes on. So yes it is necessary it has absolutely nothing to do with "novelty" and we would likely be very average without it.

It only does what you mentioned when they are not waiting until 5 seconds left to snap the ball.

If we are going to play a hurry up offense, then we need to have at least 3 plays set and ready to go to start a series. There should be no excuse as to why we run so much time off the clock the first three plays. Then we pick it up after the initial first down.

We should be ultra speed from the first snap of the game all the way through.

The biggest disadvantage a hurry up gives us is that the offense cannot always get on the same page for each play. Be that due to crowd noise or miscommunications.

The Hurry up may pose problems for the defenses....but it also poses problems with the offense running it.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 12:38 PM

How do you figure we would be average without it? We did ok pre-2008... Yes the record book is being re-written every year on offense but it hasn't given us any more crystal balls.

Soonerntxs
10/24/2011, 12:44 PM
NO, but we MUST show, develope or create RED ZONE DOMINATION!! This 3pt. stuff is for tight games with 6 sec left in the 4th & you have a GREAT kicker!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 12:44 PM
From what I've seen this year, we haven't done a lot of hurry-up..

BigTime1
10/24/2011, 12:45 PM
It only does what you mentioned when they are not waiting until 5 seconds left to snap the ball.

If we are going to play a hurry up offense, then we need to have at least 3 plays set and ready to go to start a series. There should be no excuse as to why we run so much time off the clock the first three plays. Then we pick it up after the initial first down.

We should be ultra speed from the first snap of the game all the way through.

The biggest disadvantage a hurry up gives us is that the offense cannot always get on the same page for each play. Be that due to crowd noise or miscommunications.

The Hurry up may pose problems for the defenses....but it also poses problems with the offense running it.

No we dont need to be "ultra speed" the whole time. This is one of the tactics within the speed offense. Allow a defense to settle and attack. Another advantage it gives us is the prepartion time that must be put in on it for the opposing defenses week of practice. About the best justification example I can come up with is can you multiply 126 x 48? Sure with a pencil and paper we all can. But can you do it in 3 seconds? When you dont have the answer that 3 rd second thats the point Ryan Broyles runs past you and you hear the ruffnecks shotguns go off.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 12:48 PM
What we need is a big and fast Defense. One that isnt afraid to throw caution to the wind and pin their ears back and beat the hell out of the offense! Punish the offenses for being on the same field of play as them!

We don't have that! We have some good talkers and athletes...but we do not have the attitude to play great defense.

Look at 2000 one more time. Watch every game, if you have access to them. OU's defense didn't care who they offended. They were playing to demolish you. To embarrass you!

Yes, sometimes playing with such ruthless abandon can bite you in the butt. But it is few and far between. It cost us against OSU and A&M in 2002. It cost us in 2003 against KSU.

Outside of those games, I cannot really recall an offense manhandling OU's defense.

We didnt see 55-19s. We rarely seen a team score over 21 points against us.

What we need to do as a program is get back to the basics...and stop all this fancy crap!

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 12:52 PM
No we dont need to be "ultra speed" the whole time. This is one of the tactics within the speed offense. Allow a defense to settle and attack. Another advantage it gives us is the prepartion time that must be put in on it for the opposing defenses week of practice. About the best justification example I can come up with is can you multiply 126 x 48? Sure with a pencil and paper we all can. But can you do it in 3 seconds? When you dont have the answer that 3 rd second thats the point Ryan Broyles runs past you and you hear the ruffnecks shotguns go off.

That makes absolutely no damn sense when it comes to football.

What a defender needs to no is to throw away caution. They need to know how to react...that is exactly what a defense is. It isn't the tempo that throws them off. A defender needs to know and understand what they are responsible. What are their tendencies in certain situations. A defender needs to worry about their zone if they are playing zone coverage. They need to worry about their gap if they are to fill a gap. They are to worry about their man across from them if they are playing man coverage.

It is not what the offense is doing for a defense to play well. It is a defense knowing what their assignments are and being disciplined enough to follow through with those assignments.

The biggest thing the hurry does, especially if you are not subbing a lot...it makes the defense to get as versatile as the offense is in their personnel. If a defense likes to bring in a nickel or dime in 3rd and long, and an offense is not subbing, they do not have to allow the defense to sub players. This is the advantage a hurry up gives.

The other crap you mentioned...not so much.

BigTime1
10/24/2011, 12:53 PM
What we need is a big and fast Defense. One that isnt afraid to throw caution to the wind and pin their ears back and beat the hell out of the offense! Punish the offenses for being on the same field of play as them!

We don't have that! We have some good talkers and athletes...but we do not have the attitude to play great defense.

Look at 2000 one more time. Watch every game, if you have access to them. OU's defense didn't care who they offended. They were playing to demolish you. To embarrass you!

Yes, sometimes playing with such ruthless abandon can bite you in the butt. But it is few and far between. It cost us against OSU and A&M in 2002. It cost us in 2003 against KSU.

Outside of those games, I cannot really recall an offense manhandling OU's defense.

What we need to do as a program is get back to the basics...and stop all this fancy crap!

I agree we need to take more chances on defense. If it bites you as you said then it does and you know you need to be faster the next time. More times than not we have the athletes to pull whatever it is off though. Also agree with the mentality

primetime43
10/24/2011, 12:54 PM

Totally agree! This is why LSU is going to win it this year. They get after the QB on every play.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 12:58 PM
Also Bigtime...

If a defender is thinking, then they are already beat. A defender is taught to react during a play, not to think about what the offense is about to throw at them.

BigTime1
10/24/2011, 01:00 PM
That makes absolutely no damn sense when it comes to football.

What a defender needs to no is to throw away caution. They need to know how to react...that is exactly what a defense is. It isn't the tempo that throws them off. A defender needs to know and understand what they are responsible. What are their tendencies in certain situations. A defender needs to worry about their zone if they are playing zone coverage. They need to worry about their gap if they are to fill a gap. They are to worry about their man across from them if they are playing man coverage.

It is not what the offense is doing for a defense to play well. It is a defense knowing what their assignments are and being disciplined enough to follow through with those assignments.

The biggest thing the hurry does, especially if you are not subbing a lot...it allows the defense to get as versatile as the offense is in their personnel. If a defense likes to bring in a nickel or dime in 3rd and long, and an offense is not subbing, they do not have to allow the defense to sub players. This is the advantage a hurry up gives.

The other crap you mentioned...not so much.

Seriously? Have you ever played or coached football above the junior high level? It would be nice to think you only have to worry about those few things. Remember these are 18-22 yo kids when they have to get their play call check their zones read a play see whos entering or leaving their zone find their man and be at the exact spot in time to make a tackle or break up a pass things get very confusing. And the faster they happen the more confusing they get. So all in all you make no damn sense.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 01:01 PM
Ball control and defense is what is winning it nowadays. Oklahoma and Oregon look sexy but it's mostly style over substance. I'm tired of being a finesse offense.

OULenexaman
10/24/2011, 01:05 PM
From what I've seen this year, we haven't done a lot of hurry-up.. just when the play clock is 4...3...2....1.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 01:06 PM
Me too Primetim43. Me too.

I miss the days when we had a defense we knew we could count on...not a defense that we wonder who many points are going to be scored or how many yards the opposition is going to put on us.

I miss the days when we had an offense that could score 50 points a game when huddling. And they could do that when running the ball or throwing the ball.

Granted balance is not the number of passing and running plays or yards you have. It is how well you can do both in certain situations...but we have proven the last 3 + years that we are incapable of running the ball when we need to (i.e. red zone).

And we cannot blame it on the RBs. we have some damn good ones.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 01:10 PM
Seriously? Have you ever played or coached football above the junior high level? It would be nice to think you only have to worry about those few things. Remember these are 18-22 yo kids when they have to get their play call check their zones read a play see whos entering or leaving their zone find their man and be at the exact spot in time to make a tackle or break up a pass things get very confusing. And the faster they happen the more confusing they get. So all in all you make no damn sense.

To answer your stupid question...

Yes, I played and coached at the college level.

Your point?

If your defense is having to think what is coming then they are already beat. A defense should know their responsibilities and then react to the play...not to think to themselves..."boy, I wonder if the next play is going to be a play action TE waggle"....if they are doing that, then they are defeated before the play even begins because you cannot play defense when you are thinking outside of your responsibilities.

So don't come at me about what level of play or coaching I have had. You should learn the game and stop trying to make it seem more complex than what it is.

It is your type thinking and knowledge (or lack there of) has gotten our defense from being feared to being laughed at.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 01:13 PM
To answer your stupid question...

Yes, I played and coached at the college level.

Your point?

If your defense is having to think what is coming then they are already beat. A defense should know their responsibilities and then react to the play...not to think to themselves..."boy, I wonder if the next play is going to be a play action TE waggle"....if they are doing that, then they are defeated before the play even begins because you cannot play defense when you are thinking outside of your responsibilities.

So don't come at me about what level of play or coaching I have had. You should learn the game and stop trying to make it seem more complex than what it is.

It is your type thinking and knowledge (or lack there of) has gotten our defense from being feared to being laughed at.

This is the difference between Mike Stoops and BV.

BigTime1
10/24/2011, 01:25 PM
I know the game and agree that if you take care of your respnsibilities that is all that can be asked. Read and React. I am not saying the d is setting there trying to guess the play. But the faster those plays come at ya the more difficult it becomes to receive the call get aligned and take care of those responsibilities.

rock on sooner
10/24/2011, 01:39 PM
I've got our problem all figured out!!!!! Coach Stoops should fire his entire staff and hire the bunch of know-it-alls in this thread...
current poster excepted, of course! :-)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 01:51 PM
just when the play clock is 4...3...2....1.

Thank you for noticing that...OU is running a no huddle, not a hurry up.

BigTime1
10/24/2011, 02:03 PM
I've got our problem all figured out!!!!! Coach Stoops should fire his entire staff and hire the bunch of know-it-alls in this thread...
current poster excepted, of course! :-)

Not a know it all at all...just stating the basis for the offense.

Oh and here comes the reputation crap. Is that like taking your ball and going home when you dont get picked first? Someone has another take on it and you get all huffy! Thanks anyway though red is actually my favorite color for obvious reasons. BOOMER SOONER!

TheUnnamedSooner
10/24/2011, 02:58 PM
Thank you for noticing that...OU is running a no huddle, not a hurry up.

Agreed, I don't understand why people think it is a hurry up offense. Yeah from time to time they will rush up and do a quick play but for the most part they run the play clock down.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 03:02 PM
Dude, where have you been?

TheUnnamedSooner
10/24/2011, 03:09 PM
Dude, where have you been?

If you are referring to me, I've been doing a lot more lurking than posting lately. New job doesn't allow as much posting as before (I actually have work to do) plus I don't have a computer at home anymore. However, now with the new SF ap, I may be around more :D

If you are not referring to me, then F* you. ;)

primetime43
10/24/2011, 03:09 PM
I just think sometimes we get into to big a hurry instead of taking our time. I get that we're not a "hurry up" 100% of the time.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 03:12 PM
I just hate how finesse we have become over the last few years. Why can't we go out of the I formation more? Millard and Haywood need to be on the field more.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/24/2011, 03:14 PM
I just think sometimes we get into to big a hurry instead of taking our time. I get that we're not a "hurry up" 100% of the time.

I don't think we are getting into too big a hurry when we have to burn time outs to avoid delay of game.

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2011, 04:05 PM
You are correct. there is a reason that starters are starters and backups are backups. However, there is no reason whatsoever that our backups cannot come in and fill the void left by the starter being out.

All it takes is preparation and readiness.

And with us having 2 OL coaches, there is absolutely no reason for much drop off on the OL.

I agree. But, if the only time Bob is going to give these guys is practice time, we get what we get if they are thrown into a game situation because of injuries.

We play enough games where we blow people out that getting real game experience for backups should never be an issue. For some reason, it is here. It's why we farted our way through 2005 and 2009. Either a bunch of guys graduate/declare for the NFL draft or are injured and we are left with guys with basically no experience other than the last series of the fourth quarter that Bob lets them play.

Had Barry Switzer not let Charles Thompson play a bunch in 1987 in early blowouts, there is no way he would have "shocked the world" in Nebraska that November.

Gotta get guys playing time because starters are going to be injured...and especially if you keep leaving them in during blowouts.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 04:12 PM
If you are referring to me, I've been doing a lot more lurking than posting lately. New job doesn't allow as much posting as before (I actually have work to do) plus I don't have a computer at home anymore. However, now with the new SF ap, I may be around more :D

Yeah you..I was just thinking the other day there seems to be one less ******* around and then I figured it out..!

soonercoop1
10/24/2011, 04:41 PM
Possible but OU should certainly ditch the bend don't break D.....

cccasooner2
10/24/2011, 06:10 PM
Last season we averaged around 110 plays per game. We are far below that this season.

OU 100 64 Tulsa
OU 66 60 FSU
OU 87 75 MU
OU 77 71 BSt
OU 71 81 UT
OU 88 63 KU
OU 80 96 TT

cvsooner
10/24/2011, 06:40 PM
Too many three and outs will do that to you.

8timechamps
10/24/2011, 06:49 PM
The "hurry up" offense was originally designed to get the defenses playing back on their heels. And it worked. Hal Mummy made a living off of it.

Now, defenses have caught up to the hurry-up/up-tempo offenses. Coaches have learned to condition athletes on defense and rely less on circumstantial substitutions.

There is a reason you don't see any teams running 10 plays in a row in a "true" hurry up style. So, now we see a chess game going on between the time time the play clock starts and the snap. The offense lines up and waits to see what the defense shows, then they make changes, then the defense makes changes, then the QB makes his pre-snap reads...and so on.

Sure, the defense can force a three and out and take the offense off the field, but is that any different than a "huddle up" offense going three and out? Other than it happens a little quicker?

Besides, TT didn't have a problem with their up-tempo offense Saturday. We lost on offense, defense and special teams. Not just offense.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/24/2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah you..I was just thinking the other day there seems to be one less ******* around and then I figured it out..!

With all these *******s around, I'm very impressed you realized one was missing. :)

Enter dark helmet quote... Here!

Blue
10/24/2011, 11:50 PM
We need a real live honest to goodness Defense. That's it and that's all.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2011, 10:03 PM
Not a know it all at all...just stating the basis for the offense.

Oh and here comes the reputation crap. Is that like taking your ball and going home when you dont get picked first? Someone has another take on it and you get all huffy! Thanks anyway though red is actually my favorite color for obvious reasons. BOOMER SOONER!

If you read the spek thing when you open it...it says approve or disapprove.

It has nothing to do with being huffy. Also, there is a rule here...do not speak about spek.

soonerman4life
10/25/2011, 10:19 PM
Last season we averaged around 110 plays per game. We are far below that this season.

OU 100 64 Tulsa
OU 66 60 FSU
OU 87 75 MU
OU 77 71 BSt
OU 71 81 UT
OU 88 63 KU
OU 80 96 TT

This is what I was wanting to see. We really don't run a hurry up. Does anyone know what the average is around the nation?