PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops...

SteelClip49
10/24/2011, 09:12 AM
Should call out our pathetic fanbase for lack of support. It's an embarrassment and he should add that to his press conference. This would not fair well among SEC schools.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 09:14 AM
Funny looking back in 2008 against Tech was our best crowd ever. Saturday was the complete opposite.

jmr_77
10/24/2011, 09:22 AM
I think coach Stoops has bigger problems than the fanbase. He needs to figure out how to motivate this team week in and week out!! Not saying that I wouldn't privately bitch and moan about the fans, because I most definitely would.

oudanny
10/24/2011, 09:26 AM
The fans didn't drop passes, miss blocks, miss tackles.................. This team shouldn't have lost to Tech even if they were playing in a cow pasture with only the cows and chickens watching.

NOVSooner
10/24/2011, 09:27 AM
I agree but why is it that after a "lackluster" win or defeat we always hear, "well, there were a few practices that we didn't feel good about during the week" or something along those lines. clearly those are signs! but i agree with the point you're making as well

Curly Bill
10/24/2011, 09:32 AM
As a fan I accept complete blame for this. I shouldn't have forgot to Email Vulnerables my defensive plans for the game.

OhU1
10/24/2011, 09:39 AM
We got outcoached, outplayed, and outfanned. Further, even though Norman has one of the top weather facilities in the world it is clear Tech knew the game would be delayed by a storm and came out prepared to play. Stoops and co. were disheartened after getting rained on and were upset like a wet cat. I blame Gary England for this. :gary:

OU GENO
10/24/2011, 09:43 AM
Yes it's all the fans fault we didn't play and yell enough! Shame on the fans because we let the coaches and players down. Everyone knows the fans win the games and the fans who sit at home are the blame also.

SteelClip49
10/24/2011, 09:45 AM
the game performance is a separate issue.

I am strictly focusing on the pathetic showing of fan support. Why should it take our coach to get people to CHIME IN? Why not do it ourselves? OU fans who had tickets to the game but decided not to go or stay after the rain delay are pathetic and wimps. The students who deciced to go elsewhere are pathetic. They have nothing better to do.

Weak fanbase....weak!

I stayed the entire game. Yeah OU lost but that's life. The weather wasn't that bad at all. My fellow OU fans who are ones I have pointed out are not true OU fans.

jumperstop
10/24/2011, 09:45 AM
Tell him to call out the school for scheduling another evening game. This has been discussed in the other thread on this topic. You're kidding yourself if you think that the crowd would be different anywhere else under the same circumstances. I left 4 min early for the first time ever really because of my complaining gf, but how can you blame people who are probably wet and cold and pissed that their team doesn't seem able to do ****. Especially it being almost 1230 at that point.

FtwTxSooner
10/24/2011, 10:07 AM
If you are relying on the crowd to help out against a 29 point underdog, you have much bigger problems.

Iam4OUru
10/24/2011, 10:11 AM
Tell him to call out the school for scheduling another evening game. This has been discussed in the other thread on this topic. You're kidding yourself if you think that the crowd would be different anywhere else under the same circumstances. I left 4 min early for the first time ever really because of my complaining gf, but how can you blame people who are probably wet and cold and pissed that their team doesn't seem able to do ****. Especially it being almost 1230 at that point.

Apparently, none of these people have ever been to Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night. They do it all the time.

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 10:12 AM
Should call out our pathetic fanbase for lack of support. It's an embarrassment and he should add that to his press conference. This would not fair well among SEC schools.

I'm assuming you're saying this in jest and you don't actually think it would be an acceptable public relations move for a coach to call out the fans (a statement that would be taken by the media and some fans as placing some blame for the loss on the fans) after his team played a terrible game.

Stoops is a LOT smarter than that.

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 10:14 AM
I stayed the entire game. Yeah OU lost but that's life. The weather wasn't that bad at all. My fellow OU fans who are ones I have pointed out are not true OU fans.

How old are you? Do you have small children? Did you have to work Sunday morning? Something tells me you are in a position in your life that many fans are not in.

soonervegas
10/24/2011, 10:14 AM
Stupid fans.....having priorities other than 18 year old kids (that aren't their's) running around on wet grass.

Anyone blaming people for leaving early with that fiasco (weather, late start, player effort).....may need to gain some perspective.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/24/2011, 10:17 AM
You are right. I should have stayed and risked my life in a lightning and hailstorm

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/24/2011, 10:21 AM
I stayed the entire game. Yeah OU lost but that's life. The weather wasn't that bad at all. My fellow OU fans who are ones I have pointed out are not true OU fans.I'm not a real fan. Whew! Thanks for letting me know. This would have been good information to have had way back in 1997 when I was sitting through *** kickings week in and week out. I wonder if the ticket office will now revoke my privileges for leaving once since 1995.

soonersweetie
10/24/2011, 10:34 AM
I'm not even going to go into the fanbase issue. I think to sum it up, if it were somewhat early evening or afternoon, the stands would be filled. 12am doesn't sit well when you have a 3yr old with you. Or know that in the back of your head you still have a 3hr drive ahead of you. Getting home at 4am does not a fun night make with toddlers.

Anyhow, one of my big issues is with Bob. Do I think he's a good coach, yes, I do. However....what irritates more me than anything after a loss is when he does his post game interviews and you hear, well, uh, we were outcoached and outplayed, hats off to the "opponent" blah blah blah. Really Bob? That's all you have to say? How about showing some emotion, show me your pissed, show me you care!! But most of all, tell me how you are going to fix it!!

BigTip
10/24/2011, 10:43 AM
Fire the fans!

SteelClip49
10/24/2011, 10:43 AM
it doesn't matter what time a game is, it is never filled. As far as lightning and hail....take cover under the seats like a lot of other people did. Problem solved. Jkj, if your excuse is having to work Sunday morning, why were you there in the first place?

Why have tickets and not use them?

Beating traffic is a poor excuse as well. It's freaking Norman. There is some congestion leaving but it's not bad at all ever.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/24/2011, 10:46 AM
Well, I stayed through the first 30 minute delay, then left to avoid getting sick. Today I'm sick and missing my midterms. I guess there's more to life than football? Nahhhh

Soonrs
10/24/2011, 10:49 AM
This was one of the rare games that wasn't at full capacity at game time and it wasn't because of the opponent. Kudos to those that stayed, cheered when it
was bad, and stayed to the last second. But as a fan that has witnessed Bob's teams implode verses inferior opponents (OSU '01, A&M '02, OSU '02, BSU '06, CU '07, WVU '08..etc.), I can understand why many left early. I saw a few fans leave after the G. Lynn series and I almost went with them.

You might see it as a poor fan base, I see it as a way of communicating to the coaches, the players, and the administration that Saturday's performance is unacceptable.

FaninAma
10/24/2011, 10:52 AM
Bob, his coaches and his players checked out way before the majority of the crowd did.

If OU cared about their crowd they would have scheduled a few afternoon home games this year. And I know the television pr**ks have a lot of say in who plays when but I feel pretty sure OU has some input on that decision.

jumperstop
10/24/2011, 10:53 AM
it doesn't matter what time a game is, it is never filled. As far as lightning and hail....take cover under the seats like a lot of other people did. Problem solved. Jkj, if your excuse is having to work Sunday morning, why were you there in the first place?

Why have tickets and not use them?

Beating traffic is a poor excuse as well. It's freaking Norman. There is some congestion leaving but it's not bad at all ever.

What do you mean never filled? I've personally seen it filled pretty much every week at the begining. If it was a day game I'm sure that it would be full, the only area that doesn't look full is that corner of the student section that gets empty looking because all the students are squishing in. And that happens every game.

TUSooner
10/24/2011, 10:56 AM
I can't belive I read this entire thread and that anyone could criticize the fans for that disgraceful PoS performance I saw on my TV. Do you realy want Owen Field to be like LSU's placxe? That would requires a lot of teeth extractions, lobotomies, and whisky flowing in the seats throughout the game, Oklahoma people are just not quite up to it. The games need to be played in the afternoon anyway.

jumperstop
10/24/2011, 10:57 AM
This was one of the rare games that wasn't at full capacity at game time and it wasn't because of the opponent. Kudos to those that stayed, cheered when it
was bad, and stayed to the last second. But as a fan that has witnessed Bob's teams implode verses inferior opponents (OSU '01, A&M '02, OSU '02, BSU '06, CU '07, WVU '08..etc.), I can understand why many left early. I saw a few fans leave after the G. Lynn series and I almost went with them.

You might see it as a poor fan base, I see it as a way of communicating to the coaches, the players, and the administration that Saturday's performance is unacceptable.

Which one? I thought about it on both td's, but I think I stayed to see tech score one more time...after that I couldn't take anymore and I was already going to get yelled at by the girl so I figured I'd cut my losses there.

jumperstop
10/24/2011, 10:58 AM
I can't belive I read this entire thread and that anyone could criticize the fans for that disgraceful PoS performance I saw on my TV. Do you realy want Owen Field to be like LSU's placxe? That would requires a lot of teeth extractions, lobotomies, and whisky flowing in the seats throughout the game, Oklahoma people are just not quite up to it. The games need to be played in the afternoon anyway.
You forgot inbreeding....

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2011, 11:12 AM

The night games do entirely suck. Miss the afternoon games...especially now that I've got a 5- and 3-year old in tow. But, even when we don't take them, the night game is a logistical drain.

And, sadly, this is what we would have been in for in spades if Boren had successfully begged us into crappy Pac-12. More and more night games, later and later for the sake of the west coast Pac-12 fans.

Here's my weekly plug for the SEC - Afternoon games. More and more afternoon game. Of course...Bob will have to prepare for tougher competition. But, after seeing Tech hand us our ***, maybe we're better off to just fight Texas in the pathetic Big 12 every year.

Lott's Bandana
10/24/2011, 12:14 PM
the game performance is a separate issue.

I am strictly focusing on the pathetic showing of fan support. Why should it take our coach to get people to CHIME IN? Why not do it ourselves? OU fans who had tickets to the game but decided not to go or stay after the rain delay are pathetic and wimps. The students who deciced to go elsewhere are pathetic. They have nothing better to do.

Weak fanbase....weak!

True OU fans don't have Los Angeles Clippers avatars.

Direct your disappointment elsewhere or STFU.

Curly Bill
10/24/2011, 12:50 PM
If you are relying on the crowd to help out against a 29 point underdog, you have much bigger problems.

Well said.

lexred
10/24/2011, 12:52 PM
OU has a great fan base and they are no better or worse than most other big time programs. LSU fans are loud, but even they would have been mellowed by that POS performance in the first half. Yes, OU fans are spoiled, but those NCs on the wall and those Heisman statues are the benchmark. Beating Texas is always nice and winning the Big 12 ok, but the MNC is the true test.

SteelClip49
10/24/2011, 12:59 PM
True OU fans don't have Los Angeles Clippers avatars.

Direct your disappointment elsewhere or STFU.

I have been a Clippers fan since the mid 90s. Not sure where you are coming from regarding this but whatever. Why does it take Bob Stoops to get a game filled to capacity such as the 08 game against Tech? You would think fans would love to be there. Empty seats are annoying when there are plenty of OU fans who never have the chance to go wh would like to be there.

I always hear ab0out how the stadium seating should be expanded, but why?

Nebraska fans are dedicated. Why can't we be? They have a solid benchmark of success and fans still make that place insane with support.

Lott's Bandana
10/24/2011, 01:15 PM
You say you were there, yet you can't understand why people left?

That seems odd to me.

OU_Sooners75
10/24/2011, 01:24 PM
Now it was the fans in the stands fault?

Really?

lets see here. most stayed all the way through until about half way through the 4th quarter.

It was damn near midnight when the majority left the game.
And the ones that left before the 3rd was over, should be banished and their season tickets given to me!

But to even suggest that OU has horrible fans, it just down right crazy.

Maybe instead of calling out the fans, the administration should stand up to the TV moguls and say this is what time our games are being played...if you dont have an open spot, we will televise it on soonersports.com for our fans!

I havent made a game this year. But I know plenty of people that are growing tired of the 7PM kick offs ever damn week!

Lott's Bandana
10/24/2011, 01:33 PM
I'm betting most people would rather have 7pm kickoffs (8:45?) than 7-24 halftimes.

yankee
10/24/2011, 01:51 PM
I stayed the whole time, but I don't blame people for not wanting to wait an hour and a half for a 9 PM kickoff against what was supposed to be a mediocre opponent.

oudanny
10/24/2011, 02:04 PM
Traber, is that you?

Fraggle145
10/24/2011, 02:04 PM
...needs to hire a ST coach and figure out how to make players play up to their potential again, instead of down to their competition.

Ground_Attack
10/24/2011, 02:51 PM
I have been a Clippers fan since the mid 90s. Not sure where you are coming from regarding this but whatever. Why does it take Bob Stoops to get a game filled to capacity such as the 08 game against Tech? You would think fans would love to be there. Empty seats are annoying when there are plenty of OU fans who never have the chance to go wh would like to be there.

I always hear ab0out how the stadium seating should be expanded, but why?

Nebraska fans are dedicated. Why can't we be? They have a solid benchmark of success and fans still make that place insane with support.

what the **** are you talking about?

2011 Attendance (per SoonerSports):

Tulsa 85,260
Mizzou 85,547
Ball St 84,921
Tech 85,204

According to the top 10 attendance records for the stadium, #10 was 85,212, making the Tech game likely the #11 most attended game (in Norman) in OU history. Its only 400 people less than the all time record. Add in the 90 minute weather delay and the nearly 9 PM kickoff, and I think that is OUTSTANDING. The "official" capacity is 82,112. Any complaints about the crowd size initially are unfounded.

Of course people left early. Many of us have small children, don't live in Norman or (gasp) even have to work early Sunday morning. I love OU football but I can't put the rest of my life on hold to take in a game. Its called sacrifice. Stop talking out of your ***, making stuff up as you go. This schtick is quite old among some of the trolls or idiots that frequent this board from time to time. Don't be one of those posters.

3rdgensooner
10/24/2011, 02:56 PM
Bob's teams implode verses inferior opponents (OSU '01, A&M '02, OSU '02, BSU '06, CU '07, WVU '08..etc.)The vast majority of our opponents are inferior. That's the good news.

soonervegas
10/24/2011, 02:59 PM
The vast majority of our opponents are inferior. That's the good news.

Honest question, since 2000 what is our record against superior opponents? (i.e. they were favored)

3rdgensooner
10/24/2011, 03:06 PM
Honest question, since 2000 what is our record against superior opponents? (i.e. they were favored)
W/L Calculator when Stoops is coach and opponent is ranked Higher

http://soonerstats.com/images/spacer.gifLocation

G

W

L

T

PCT

PF
-
PA

Avg

Home

100.0%

-

-

Away

75.0%

-

-

Neutral*

36.4%

-

-

http://soonerstats.com/images/spacer.gif

Totals

57.9%

-

-

* Games not played in Norman or on the opponent's campus are considered neutral

Thank you soonerstats.com

3rdgensooner
10/24/2011, 03:43 PM
Actually, you said since 2000, that was from '99 forward.

Here is 2000 to now:

http://soonerstats.com/images/spacer.gifLocation

G

W

L

T

PCT

PF
-
PA

Avg

Home