PDA

View Full Version : We were overrated

JudInKC
10/23/2011, 09:29 PM
As I'm reflecting on last nights game, this season, and watching the ex-OU stars light it up in the nfl, I am beginning to realize we are overrated.

Look at the talent we have on this team, some really good college players. Broyles, Stills, and the hammer are all NFL stars, IMO. I would guess Fleming and Hurst could be added to that group, and maybe Alexander, but look at the 2008 roster.

These players were on the 2008 team and they all start in the NFL:

Bradford (ROY)
Loadholt
Duke Robinson
Trent Williams
Brody Eldridge
Demarco Murray
Jermaine Gresham
Gerald McCoy

4 of the starting OL from that season are all starters in the league (including the Gresham) as well as the ROY (and first overall pick) and Murray now who owns the franchise rushing record after today. Not to mention Eldridge who was the h-back and lead blocker on a lot of run plays.

Broyles was also on that team and I think we all agree he will be a starter in the NFL before he's done, and add Jon Cooper who is a part-time starter for the Vikings.

We just don't have the studs in the trenches this year and across the board to compete for an NC, IMO.

TrophyCollector
10/23/2011, 09:36 PM
Even if true, it's irrelevant. We have more "talent" than anyone on our schedule and certainly more than Tech. We are now 6-1 for a lot if reasons, but talent ain't one of them.

Sooner5030
10/23/2011, 09:39 PM
Our ability or talent has never been overrated.

Our likelihood to perform to our potential has been overrated.

just my opinion though.

VA Sooner
10/23/2011, 09:58 PM
Talent is there... injuries and bad karma on a nasty night... we had a chance to come back though and fell short. Late start... lots of issues.

Lots to prove too though... run the table from here on out.

If we can just fix our red-zone offense issues.

TrophyCollector
10/23/2011, 10:07 PM
Talent is there... injuries and bad karma on a nasty night... we had a chance to come back though and fell short. Late start... lots of issues.

Lots to prove too though... run the table from here on out.

If we can just fix our red-zone offense issues.

1. Being OU and all, you'd think we could go at least 2 deep.

2. Tech had to start late too.

3. Both teams played in the same weather.

4. Fixing the red zone O doesn't make a dent in all the things we need to fix.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2011, 10:11 PM
^

Neath a Western Sky
10/23/2011, 11:30 PM
If I thought we could beat LSU or Bama in New Orleans--which I did--does that qualify as overrating us?

cyclonesooner
10/23/2011, 11:38 PM
Before the Tech game, and after watching the first half of the Alabama-Tennessee game. I truly felt that we could beat Alabama but not LSU. Now, I'm wondering if can finish with less than 3 losses.

lexred
10/24/2011, 08:02 AM
We just don't have the "beasts" in the D line. I know that is just one of the problems, but we cannot seem to get any pressure without some poorly conceived blitz.The first half the O sure didn't help with all the 3 and outs.

jduggle
10/24/2011, 08:27 AM
Two things....

As a result of the injuries, we had to play our B-team against TT's A-team. Is our B-team more talented than TT's A-team?

The only place where we are overrated is in coaching and in particular defensive coaching. BV makes the mistake of not having a plan B when his plan A is not working. He would have been better off just scraping the complexity and telling the kids to use their athletic skills and just play a simple scheme because what he wanted them to do was not translating to the field. So... either it was a bad scheme, he didn't do a good job teaching it in practice, or we a b-team that is just awful.