PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Kicker in the House?

Sooner70
10/23/2011, 02:22 PM
I know this has probably went on other threads, but this is a game whereby IF OU had had a FG kicker that was reliable from beyond the 20 yd line, OU would have a fighting chance in games like this.

I realize we were missing defensive starters, weather delays, receivers dropped the ball, and generally what appeared sporadic defense, but if we'd been able to tie the thing and send into OT, maybe a chance. In face, if had hit the two that were missed, the margin would've been reversed.

Unless a team is consistently overpowering on both sides of the ball, at some point in a season, it'll come down to a missed FG or two. For OU, it was this game.

For the life of me, I just cannot understand why OU doesn't place priority on getting a reliable, long FG range kicker. Other and lesser programs do it. OU should be able to. As lousy as OU played on both sides of the ball this game, they were able to mount a comeback, which was admirable. They didn't give up, to their credit. If they'd just had that extra margin of confidence of reliably getting a ball thru the uprights at a reasonably long distance, they probably could've overcame their own incompetence, even in this contest.

As discouraging as this situation is, the Sooners still have an outside shot. They'll have to play lights out and run the table the rest of the way to even have a chance at it. The good news is that they could still win the Big 12, but they've got to deal with KSU, aTm, Baylor and OSU. Yes, I'm including Baylor, mainly because of RG3. Obviously, if the play the way they did Sat, they're sunk.

pappy
10/23/2011, 02:27 PM
I think Stoops should show confidence in the Freshman Hunnicutt...he is gonna be good. Yeah he had a bad performance last night, but so did the rest of the team and coaching staff.

Sooner70
10/23/2011, 03:11 PM
Of course he should show confidence in Hunicutt, and hopefully he will be good. I think he will be.

My point is that a program the caliber of OU should never be in this position in the first place. We should have an accomplished long range FG kicker on the roster right now, knocking them thru whenever needed. And we should always have another one in the pipeline ready to go. This business of holding your breath everytime OU tries something beyond the 20 is ridiculous. It's not becoming of a credible contending program.

papawlambert
10/23/2011, 04:28 PM
I just have to do this.

Home > Sports > High Schools > Football > Football Headlines

Dallas Morning News HS Sports

By DAVID McNABB

Special Contributor

Published: 15 October 2011 05:31 AM
Related

GARLAND — To take sole possession of first place in District 10-5A, Garland took control of Rowlett in a 31-21 victory before a homecoming crowd of nearly 10,000 at Williams Stadium. Garland methodically powered its way to building and maintaining a first-quarter, two-score lead.

No. 16 in SportsDay’s 5A rankings, Garland (5-2, 4-0) totaled 49 rushing attempts for 293 yards in mixing the running of senior quarterback Seth Russell, bowling-ball senior back Malcolm Miller and speed-back Keylan Spencer.

Russell, who is committed to Kansas, efficiently passed for three touchdowns in nine completions. Speedy junior receiver Ja’Taveon Green caught two passes — both for touchdowns — on the same route from 7 and 10 yards. Russell, who was crowned homecoming king, led Garland with 102 yards rushing. The 5-6, 235-pound Miller had 92 yards rushing, including a 3-yard scoring run in the second half in which he pushed a pile of blockers and defenders into the end zone to give Garland a 31-14 lead.

Garland led 14-0 as Russell capped scoring drives with touchdown passes to Gabe Horn (13 yards) and Green (7 yards.) Senior kicker Josh Lambert boomed a 41-yard field goal for a 17-0 lead. The strong-legged Lambert has eight field goals of more than 40 yards in the last two years, including three of more than 50 yards.

Rowlett (4-3, 3-1) rallied within 24-14 as junior running back Jalen Rhodes broke free for a 42-yard touchdown run on the second play of the second half. Rhodes finished with 151 yards rushing and one touchdown.

But Garland controlled the ball for nearly 16 minutes in the second half. Garland had one scoring drive of five minutes, which ended with Miller’s score to make it 31-21 with 6:20 left in the third quarter. Garland also had a 71/2 –minute fourth-quarter drive that didn’t end in points but left Rowlett deep in its own territory.

Garland, led by linebacker Damien Neroes, who is committed to SMU, and junior safety Erick Jackson, also kept Rowlett in check with a pair of fourth-down stops in the second half.

Rowlett pulled within 31-21 on a 7-yard scoring pass to Rashid Turner from senior quarterback Colton Kalmus with 10:24 in the fourth quarter. Kalmus, alternating with starter Grant Bothun on the third series of each half, sparked the drive with a 33-yard scramble to Garland’s 15 to set up the score.

If you notice they mention a strong kicker. Josh has 8 field goals this year and 37PATs. I think he is the highest scoring kicker in the Dallas Ft Worth 5A classification. He was listed as 1st team preseason Allstate kicker on one football website and 3rd team on another. Josh is 5"11'' and 192lbs. He runs a 4.69 and loves to hit.
http://i51.tinypic.com/amcxox.jpg
He got his weight from the weight room and not the dinner table.
Uwe said at the OU kicking camp that he needed nothing but a scholarship. It appears that they want a walkon. His is entertaining a couple Big 12 offers, but really loves OU.
I promised that I wouldn't do this and I did it anyway.
Just a proud Grandpaw.

Papaw

rekamrettuB
10/23/2011, 04:29 PM
The kicker gave up 41 points?

papawlambert
10/23/2011, 04:39 PM
Hunnicut is a nice young man and we are rooting for him. He has the talent and I hope he gets to show it for a couple or so more years.
Papaw

papawlambert
10/24/2011, 09:56 AM
Seems like everytime I post it kills the thread! I'm sorry for messing up the OP's thread.
Papaw

Partial Qualifier
10/24/2011, 10:01 AM
Don't be sorry.
Papaw

FtwTxSooner
10/24/2011, 10:09 AM
Score touchdowns in the red zone and you wouldn't have to worry about a kicker missing a short field goal.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/24/2011, 10:22 AM
Score touchdowns in the red zone and you wouldn't have to worry about a kicker missing a short field goal.This.

TrophyCollector
10/24/2011, 10:31 AM
I think Stoops should show confidence in the Freshman Hunnicutt...he is gonna be good.

When? It would seem good kickers should have 28 yarders figured out by 9th grade. Hell, that is Chic-Fil-A range.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/24/2011, 10:40 AM
Hunnicutt has the range, he just doesn't perhaps have the accuracy, but that is even not a known at this point since he has had only one bad game, a bad game that every Sooner had this past Saturday. At least he is a freshman and actually has the hope of getting better. A senior place kicker does not.

BigTip
10/24/2011, 10:53 AM
The 5-6, 235-pound Miller had 92 yards rushing,

Holy cow! Does he run across the goal line, or roll across? Geez, he would be like a cannonball hitting the line.

Sorry, but this stood out to me.

oudavid1
10/24/2011, 12:30 PM
It would be nice not to rely on a kicker for championships.

TrophyCollector
10/24/2011, 12:46 PM

How many teams make the MNC run and don't wind up in a couple of close games?

Without Tim Duncan hitting both FGs in 2000 AM, we'd be stuck on 6 instead of 7.

pphilfran
10/24/2011, 01:06 PM

Without Tim Duncan hitting both FGs in 2000 AM, we'd be stuck on 6 instead of 7.

Well said...

papawlambert
10/24/2011, 01:07 PM
You wouldn't believe the build on the 5'6" 235lb. running back. His is a 4.5 40 guy and is the strongest guy on the team. Trophy Collector is correct.
Papaw

oudavid1
10/24/2011, 01:45 PM

That's why I said it would be nice.

BTW USC didn't need kicker vs OU.

allanace16
10/24/2011, 03:53 PM
That's why I said it would be nice.

BTW USC didn't need kicker vs OU.

But their kicker going 3-3 against Cal and 5-5 against UCLA sure did help them get in the title game..........

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=200412040064
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/boxscore?gid=200410090062

Special teams is an important part of football, and I'd just about argue that special teams has been the downfall of OU's teams for some time. Sure you CAN get by some games without it, but you can get by some games without good offense or defense either. Having excellent special teams can provide that gamebreaking moment when you need it, and I don't know that I've thought OU would WIN a game with special teams in a long time. The best we seem to do is just not lose it there.

To say we lost the game because of our kicker is ignoring a lot of things that went wrong Saturday night, but to ignore our current special teams situation because the defense and offense played at best subpar on Saturday is being just as ignorant. Last game was just a failure in all 3 phases of the game, and the expected result happened when one team plays subpar in all 3 game phases.

I do realize Hunnicutt is a freshman and will likely improve. At least I hope. Might as well let him get his reps now, with significantly less on the line, even though we have some kind of outside shot at titles. It's not like there's someone significantly better to toss in his spot, otherwise I would think he'd be out there.