PDA

View Full Version : Looks to me like Landry Jones will be coming back next year...

jkjsooner
10/23/2011, 10:29 AM
I can't imagine there's a single NFL team who won't see that Landry Jones still can't handle adversity. The NFL is all about adversity. You're in a battle every week and you've got big fast lineman ready to nail you on every throw. Jones just doesn't appear to have what it takes to handle that sort of adversity.

I'm sure his physical abilities will get him in the NFL as either a second string or practice squad player but does anyone really think that an NFL team is really going to pin their fiture on him?

Not blaming the loss on Jones but he definitely played a role. A lot of those drops should have been caught but many of them were poor throws. Maybe Jones will continue to improve and by next year maybe he'll figure out how to settle down and play his game when things aren't going his way. If he's able to do that then maybe he'll have an NFL future. Right now he's just not there.

jkjsooner
10/23/2011, 10:31 AM
Not bashing Jones, BTW, unless saying he's not NFL starter potential at this time is a bash. He's still better than at least half of our QB's over the last decade.

Ground_Attack
10/23/2011, 10:32 AM
There is a thing as an off day. Even Tom Brady throws interceptions. I thought Landry played fairly well.

jkjsooner
10/23/2011, 10:33 AM
I can't imagine there's a single NFL team who won't see that Landry Jones still can't handle adversity.

Why am I seeing two Landry's on the original post but when I edit it they're not there? I see that with other's posts as well - words repeated way too often for it to be accidentally. This board has a problem.

Weird, when I resize my browser the extra "Landry" is gone. Must be a browser problem.

Breadburner
10/23/2011, 10:33 AM
Lol...The folks on this board makes me laugh....!!

wishbonesooner
10/23/2011, 10:36 AM
I like Landry. He's a good kid from what I read about him. There are just some days he doesn't have it. Kinda like all of us in our jobs.

jkjsooner
10/23/2011, 10:36 AM
There is a thing as an off day. Even Tom Brady throws interceptions. I thought Landry played fairly well.

Off day is one thing. With Jones, almost any time things start going against us he starts having an off day. We see it often on the road.

So are you saying NFL teams will not be very concerned about the way he goes into a shell when under pressure?

MichiganSooner
10/23/2011, 10:41 AM
Landry is a very good quarterback. He will probably play in the NFL but will spend most of his life doing something else. Landry will be very well prepared to do something else that he will also excel at. I often question how successful other pro athletes will be after their playing days are over.

jkjsooner
10/23/2011, 10:45 AM
I like Landry. He's a good kid from what I read about him. There are just some days he doesn't have it. Kinda like all of us in our jobs.

True and Jones is about a thousand times better at his "job" than I am at mine. Considering the limited positions and players vying for those positions, the equivent position in the private world would be at least a CEO of a fairly large company.

That being said, the standard in the NFL is pretty darn high. If it is just an off day then even NFL QB's have off days. But it sure seems to be more than that with Jones. He really does seem to lose his confidence when the going get tough and in the NFL the going is always tough.

flysooner9
10/23/2011, 10:50 AM
I think a lot of people are forgetting that he came within a missed FG of leading us back from a 24 point deficit. Out of all the team he probably deserves the least blame IMO.

BigTip
10/23/2011, 10:59 AM
Landry is a very good quarterback. He will probably play in the NFL but will spend most of his life doing something else.

Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too.
http://turnkeyanalyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/judge-smails.png

lol
He was off. Not the whole game, but he was off. He was off last week too. It hurt so badly because he was so friggin' ON with texass.
He has a few more games this year to increase his worth, but I agree, as of now he is no first rounder.
Oh, and bye bye Heisman by the way.

kevpks
10/23/2011, 11:27 AM
Christian Ponder is starting today. Landry is an NFL-caliber QB.

jkjsooner
10/23/2011, 11:27 AM
I think a lot of people are forgetting that he came within a missed FG of leading us back from a 24 point deficit. Out of all the team he probably deserves the least blame IMO.

Well, he didn't help our defense out at all with the constant three and outs. Our offense shares some of the blame for the D.

Also, this comment was about the NFL not about who cost us the game. Last I saw our kickers and defensive backs were not projected as first round draft choices.

JLEW1818
10/23/2011, 11:31 AM

bingo.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/23/2011, 11:34 AM

I agree with this. Landry was off the mark early in the game on some passes, but "adversity" was not an issue when the game was on the line. Landry was clutch in the last third of the game.

Many of the three and outs can be blamed on our run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage or behind it, as well as a few catchable passes that weren't caught.

Lot's of blame to go around, but Landry played well enough.

Sooner98
10/23/2011, 11:36 AM
Our guppy defense deserves way more blame for this disaster tha Ladry.

tcrb
10/23/2011, 11:50 AM

This, and the fact the our highly-touted receiving corps dropped so many of Landry's GOOD passes in the first half that lost count.

tcrb
10/23/2011, 11:51 AM

This, and the fact the our highly-touted receiving corps dropped so many of Landry's GOOD passes in the first half that lost count.

pappy
10/23/2011, 11:55 AM
There were a lot of drops that should have been completions. On the drive down 10 on 3rd down Landry threw a perfect ball...(only place you could throw it to where only your player has a chance to catch it) and Reynolds had both hands on the ball and didn't catch it. That happened a lot in the first half too.

Unless he gets injured between now and draft time...He will be drafted in the 1st round bank on it.

soonerinabilene
10/23/2011, 12:00 PM
Down by 24 at one point, and we lose 41-38. Yeah, he folded under the pressure of being behind.

EatLeadCommie
10/23/2011, 12:20 PM
There is a lot of blame to throw around, and very little of it should be directed at Landry. The defense played poorly for most of the game (the entire defense...Gabe Lynn wasn't responsible for that halftime deficit), and the offensive line was absolutely pathetic. Receivers dropped some key balls. Yes, Landry didn't have his A game either, but his B game should be enough to crush a sorry team in Norman. Also, much of him being on his B game can be attributed to lackluster pass protection.

In the order of blame, I'd probably have Landry last on my list, well behind the O and D, Hunnicut, and the coaches.

BigTip
10/23/2011, 12:21 PM
And, in Landry's defense, what the hell was up with the O-line? Landry was hurried almost every down.

SoonerofAlabama
10/23/2011, 12:25 PM
He showed a bit more running ability back there. Hated that he had to do it though.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2011, 12:32 PM
LJ was certainly off as far as accuracy goes - even during the comeback. But we did NOT come within a missed FG of tying that game for those paying attention. We came within a missed FG of getting to within 1 TD with not much time to play. That allowed TT to run 3 plays for no yards to drain our times out plus some game clock. Had the FG been made, we probably would have tried an onside kick (a 15% success proposition) or we would of had to stop the TT offense that would have been trying to advance the ball. Something that had not come easy all night. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see us make that FG and make the final couple of minutes more interesting. But we were still in a very low probability position had the FG been made.

yankee
10/23/2011, 01:42 PM
Landry showed once again that he has the ability to forget the last bad play. He would make some poor throws and then follow it up with brilliant throws.

yankee
10/23/2011, 01:45 PM
Also, the play where he jukes the DL out of his shoes to avoid a sack and then found Millard on the sideline was fantastic. And having the presence of mind to catch Millards fumble out of mid-air and keep the drive alive. And running for a key first down late in the game. Landry showed me some things I haven't seen before that were nice to see.

JudInKC
10/23/2011, 03:12 PM
Landry is a good QB, but to this point he hasn't revealed himself to be the special type of QB who can put the team on his shoulders and win a tight game. In the Stoops era, I would say only Heupel, White and Bradford are in that category. Can Landry get to that level before his days at OU are done? I think so but not sure if he will.

My only knock with Landry is he has to get in a rhythm at the start of the game or we struggle. If things start going south,he goes south real quick. Look at the entire 2nd period last night for evidence A. The blame isn't all his as the play calling didnt help and neither did the OL play, the run game, or the WRs (dropped or fumbled key passes).

Heupels post game comment was something to the effect the coaches didn't get Landry in a good rhythm early. Why is it their job? This is D1 college ball, he should be good enough to overcome adversity and make the plays we need.

His 2nd quarter play last night was the worst quarter of football for our offense and him since the NU game in 2009.

He looked much better in the 2nd half but he still had a few brain fart moments. The INT was a horrible throw, but Stills is also to blame because he djust watched the tech player catch the ball. He did nothing to disrupt the tech player, but it was a horrible throw. Later he almost threw a pick 6 that was intended for Clay, which would have gone down as the worst pass since the INT in the Sun Bowl.

Is last nights loss all his fault? No. Can we still win the conference and win a BCS bowl game this year? Yes. Can we win the NC with Landry? Not in my opinion unless he improves a bit.

OUNASH
10/23/2011, 03:34 PM

Plenty of blame to go around. But good point

Okie35
10/23/2011, 03:52 PM
There is a lot of blame to throw around, and very little of it should be directed at Landry. The defense played poorly for most of the game (the entire defense...Gabe Lynn wasn't responsible for that halftime deficit), and the offensive line was absolutely pathetic. Receivers dropped some key balls. Yes, Landry didn't have his A game either, but his B game should be enough to crush a sorry team in Norman. Also, much of him being on his B game can be attributed to lackluster pass protection.

In the order of blame, I'd probably have Landry last on my list, well behind the O and D, Hunnicut, and the coaches.

I actually won't put ANY blame on him. Sure he missed a couple of throws but it happens when you're getting the most pressure you've had all season. I don't know where the line was last night. Receivers also dropped passes, we couldn't establish a consistent run game even after Finch broke loose. I do hope Landry comes back but if not its fine. Life goes on.

Okie35
10/23/2011, 03:54 PM
Landry is a good QB, but to this point he hasn't revealed himself to be the special type of QB who can put the team on his shoulders and win a tight game. In the Stoops era, I would say only Heupel, White and Bradford are in that category. Can Landry get to that level before his days at OU are done? I think so but not sure if he will.

My only knock with Landry is he has to get in a rhythm at the start of the game or we struggle. If things start going south,he goes south real quick. Look at the entire 2nd period last night for evidence A. The blame isn't all his as the play calling didnt help and neither did the OL play, the run game, or the WRs (dropped or fumbled key passes).

Heupels post game comment was something to the effect the coaches didn't get Landry in a good rhythm early. Why is it their job? This is D1 college ball, he should be good enough to overcome adversity and make the plays we need.

His 2nd quarter play last night was the worst quarter of football for our offense and him since the NU game in 2009.

He looked much better in the 2nd half but he still had a few brain fart moments. The INT was a horrible throw, but Stills is also to blame because he djust watched the tech player catch the ball. He did nothing to disrupt the tech player, but it was a horrible throw. Later he almost threw a pick 6 that was intended for Clay, which would have gone down as the worst pass since the INT in the Sun Bowl.

Is last nights loss all his fault? No. Can we still win the conference and win a BCS bowl game this year? Yes. Can we win the NC with Landry? Not in my opinion unless he improves a bit.

Are you serious?! He has brought us back in games but the defense lets us down. Go back to A&M, go to Mizzou, etc. The 3 significant games that stand out to me, when we faced adversity and the offense and defense were in sync late... Stanford, Ok State, Nebraska.

Sooner_Tuf
10/23/2011, 05:10 PM
Also, the play where he jukes the DL out of his shoes to avoid a sack and then found Millard on the sideline was fantastic. And having the presence of mind to catch Millards fumble out of mid-air and keep the drive alive. And running for a key first down late in the game. Landry showed me some things I haven't seen before that were nice to see.

I was impressed with Landry last night. I think he was trying to put the team on his shoulders and carry them. It might have been a little late and a lot of his throws were high/uncatchable but I think the guy has got it. He will play in the NFL.

missann
10/23/2011, 05:19 PM
Well I hope he goes to the NFL - stat! We need a spark and more athleticism at QB.

soonerinabilene
10/23/2011, 05:26 PM
Well I hope he goes to the NFL - stat! We need a spark and more athleticism at QB.

This is Special Olympic gold medal caliber posting.

Okie35
10/23/2011, 05:34 PM

lol

soonercoop1
10/23/2011, 05:37 PM
No doubt he will be coming back...wish we could break in a new QB cause they old one isn't changing...

missann
10/23/2011, 05:58 PM

Whatever. I'm sure LJ is a great guy and I wish him the best. But I feel we've sacrificed 3 seasons with him at the helm. Enough is enough.

So some still believe he'll be drafted high - even 1st round. It's a good situation. He can latch onto that pro opportunity and we can strive to be great (again). No hard feelings. Everyone wins.

StoopTroup
10/23/2011, 06:06 PM
I can't imagine there's a single NFL team who won't see that Landry Jones still can't handle adversity. The NFL is all about adversity. You're in a battle every week and you've got big fast lineman ready to nail you on every throw. Jones just doesn't appear to have what it takes to handle that sort of adversity.

I'm sure his physical abilities will get him in the NFL as either a second string or practice squad player but does anyone really think that an NFL team is really going to pin their fiture on him?

Not blaming the loss on Jones but he definitely played a role. A lot of those drops should have been caught but many of them were poor throws. Maybe Jones will continue to improve and by next year maybe he'll figure out how to settle down and play his game when things aren't going his way. If he's able to do that then maybe he'll have an NFL future. Right now he's just not there.

You're just another troll blowing up on the performance of a guy that tried to execute the plays the Coaches sent him.

If Landry does comeback next year....I think you should go to Fan Day and instead of asking him to sign an autograph....you should ask him to kick you in the junk.

StoopTroup
10/23/2011, 06:09 PM
No doubt he will be coming back...wish we could break in a new QB cause they old one isn't changing...

Or you could go over to WhornFans and start posting where you belong.

TXBOOMER
10/23/2011, 06:14 PM

LJ is a really good college QB. He will have very little success in the NFL. That really is not a bad thing. He threw crappy passes all threw the second quarter as well as the last interception that was way behind Stills. The DEFENSE needed to step up because he was a little off. The didn't do it so they got their asses beat. They are not championship caliber. They are very good but seriously how bad would LSU bitch slap tech in their house?

OUmillenium
10/23/2011, 06:19 PM
Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too.
http://turnkeyanalyst.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/judge-smails.png

lol
He was off. Not the whole game, but he was off. He was off last week too. It hurt so badly because he was so friggin' ON with texass.
He has a few more games this year to increase his worth, but I agree, as of now he is no first rounder.
Oh, and bye bye Heisman by the way.

This...and remember...

A man worthwhile,
is a man who can smile,
when his pants are too tight in the seat.

CBUS_SOONER
10/23/2011, 06:33 PM
Def not Landry's fault. It was a total team let down... coaches, players, everyone. I like Landy also, however, I think he will not be very successful in the NFL. Hope he proves me wrong. just mho

JudInKC
10/23/2011, 07:43 PM
Are you serious?! He has brought us back in games but the defense lets us down. Go back to A&M, go to Mizzou, etc. The 3 significant games that stand out to me, when we faced adversity and the offense and defense were in sync late... Stanford, Ok State, Nebraska.

Exactly my point. The aTm and Mizzou games were losses. He was unable to put the team on his shoulders and carry us to victory.

The Nebraska game is the only one where we ever trailed but won and that was great. The OU and Stanford games we led pretty much wire to wire.

The key sequence of last nights game was the 2nd quarter. 7 of 8 series that ended in 3 and out. That is not the defenses fault. Landry was out of sync throwing passes at the feet of the receivers and over their heads.

He's a very good QB just not as good at this point to get his team into an NC game. Not many QBs are that good so that's not a knock on him.

jkjsooner
10/24/2011, 08:30 AM
He's a very good QB just not as good at this point to get his team into an NC game. Not many QBs are that good so that's not a knock on him.

I'm glad you posted this because it goes well with what I was saying. Apparently people on this board have some serious reading comprehension issues. I never blamed Jones for the loss and I don't think anyone else here did either yet about 10 people jumped in about how we can't blame him for the loss. I don't know if that was a preemptive strike or if the posters thought they were challenging something I never said.

My point was simply was to counter those who stated that Jones will be the second QB picked in the draft. In my opinion too often his play and confidence seems to deteriorate when things start going against him. (Yes, he and the team fought hard to give us a chance at the end but miracle comeback aside what we really needed was to move the ball in the third quarter and we failed at that over and over.) IMO when an NFL team is looking at using a #1 pick that is going to give them serious pause. Similar to what's stated above, there's not many first round draft choices so my opinion shouldn't be taken as a slam. If you're predicted as the #2 QB drafted and someone disagrees with that prediction then you'd have to have a giant ego to take offense to that.

But, anyway, apparently if I don't call Jones the next Joe Montana then I deserve a kick in the nuts...

One more point, our receivers didn't play a great game but let's be honest here. They weren't given a lot of help. Many of those "drops" would have be very very tough plays. How many times did Finch bail us out with a circus catch?

sooner n houston
10/24/2011, 09:47 AM
Where is all this talk of pressure on Landry comming from? Was he even sacked all night? The only pressure I saw was what he put on himself. If Broyles was covered, as he was most of the night because he was double teamed alot, Landry would start bouncing around in the pocket acting like it was about on collasp on him. If his primary was covered he went into panic mode. Rewatch the first half, it happens over and over.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2011, 09:52 AM
I have to agree..He was chopping his feet and running from the pocket when he didn't have to..Sometimes, I saw one on one coverage downfield and he just wouldn't let it rip..Almost like he didn't trust himself to make the throw

RFH Shakes
10/24/2011, 10:22 AM
Landry is a good QB, but to this point he hasn't revealed himself to be the special type of QB who can put the team on his shoulders and win a tight game. In the Stoops era, I would say only Heupel, White and Bradford are in that category.

In defense of Landry and my memory is correct, each of those three had a running game to open up the passing game. The weight on their shoulders wasn't quite as heavy as Landry's was Saturday. With our main RB out, aside from 1 big run he had a non-existent running game to help ease the pressure on him. Even with that he had 400+ passing yards and 5 TDs and damned near brought us back from a 3 TD deficit. So I say yes he's the kind of guy that CAN carry this team on his back if he gets even the slightest help from the D!

JudInKC
10/24/2011, 10:50 AM
In defense of Landry and my memory is correct, each of those three had a running game to open up the passing game. The weight on their shoulders wasn't quite as heavy as Landry's was Saturday. With our main RB out, aside from 1 big run he had a non-existent running game to help ease the pressure on him. Even with that he had 400+ passing yards and 5 TDs and damned near brought us back from a 3 TD deficit. So I say yes he's the kind of guy that CAN carry this team on his back if he gets even the slightest help from the D!

You may be right, but he had DeMarco Murray last year and he still folded like a cheap tent at Mizzou and aTm.

You also forget, in 2003, we had very little running game. Kejuan Jones and Renaldo Works were our RB's and while both are better than Clay, they are not good enough to win an NC. Jason carried that team the entire season until he was so banged up he couldn't do it anymore. LJ has been relatively healthy all 3 seasons.

primetime43
10/24/2011, 10:55 AM
I thought Landry played fairly well especially in the 2nd half. The first half we had no running game and when you are constantly in 3rd and Long no QB is going to be perfect. I thought he played great in the 2nd half. He showed leadership and toughness. If it wasn't for him we would have lost by way more than 3.

TUSooner
10/24/2011, 11:02 AM
I am sure LJ is a fie man, but does not inspire confidence. He puts up great numbers, and when he's on he's really ON. And I have to admit that he started to look like he had a little fire when we started to come back. Usually, though, he just doesn't look like "da Man" who's going to lead the team when the game becomes a brawl. Sorry, but that's my amateur opinion.

SoonerNutt
10/24/2011, 04:04 PM
I hope you are right. We'll be better off next year if he does come back.

picasso
10/24/2011, 10:28 PM
Well, he didn't help our defense out at all with the constant three and outs. Our offense shares some of the blame for the D.

Also, this comment was about the NFL not about who cost us the game. Last I saw our kickers and defensive backs were not projected as first round draft choices.
You're an NFL talent scout?

picasso
10/24/2011, 10:30 PM
Whatever. I'm sure LJ is a great guy and I wish him the best. But I feel we've sacrificed 3 seasons with him at the helm. Enough is enough.

So some still believe he'll be drafted high - even 1st round. It's a good situation. He can latch onto that pro opportunity and we can strive to be great (again). No hard feelings. Everyone wins.
Good lord.

Okie35
10/25/2011, 01:27 AM
Def not Landry's fault. It was a total team let down... coaches, players, everyone. I like Landy also, however, I think he will not be very successful in the NFL. Hope he proves me wrong. just mho

It depends where he goes and if he keeps his head straight. Any talent can succeed in the NFL if they put in any effort and stays healthy. Look at all the top talent that have failed. They either complain about their contract, have personal issues, are lazy, or unfortunately get injured. Landry is talented enough to succeed in the NFL no question.

jkjsooner
10/25/2011, 08:30 AM
You're an NFL talent scout?

Are our kickers projected as first round picks?

I stated that this was my opinion. After listening to the national media this appears to be their opinion as well. Bill King was talking about the great Big 12 QB's. He said Weeden and RG3 could start for any SEC team. He also said Jones was very good but didn't put him up to the level of the other two. I've heard similar comments from other media guys. If you're not better than Weeden or RG3 then you're not the #2 QB in the draft.

Given, these are media guys not scouts or NFL owners but most of what we've heard about Jones being the #2 QB taken was from the same media guys. We'll see. If Jones goes as the #2 QB or in the first round I'll eat my words.

And, again, this has nothing to do with our loss. I've said similar things about Jones after wins. How you guys took this as if I was blaming Jones soley for the loss baffles me.

I like the guy. As I've said I think he's better than all of our QB's under Stoops except Heupel, White, and Bradford.

Anyway, sorry, I guess expressing my opinion that the guy won't be #2 QB taken in the draft was equivalent to badmouthing his mother. Geez, would I have gotten pounded if I said the same thing about Heupel or White?

sooneron
10/25/2011, 09:12 AM
You may be right, but he had DeMarco Murray last year and he still folded like a cheap tent at Mizzou and aTm.

Wow, you got that us with that one
ATM : OU rushing yards - SEVENTY TWO
Miz: OU rushing yards - NINETY NINE

Yep, how could he not be stellar with those astronomical numbers? Jeez, Demarco rips 253 in the pros on one day and everyone suddenly forgets about how they were posting about his "averageness" last year... :rolleyes:

sooneron
10/25/2011, 09:14 AM
And the new rolleyes smiley succs !

PalmBeachSooner
10/25/2011, 01:11 PM
I've never seen a QB go down as quick as Landry does when he scrambles. He kind of plays scared I guess so it doesn't take much to get him rattled. He seems to lack some toughness.

Anyway, I believe that as long as Whitney is still enrolled at OU LJ will be too.

lmg0088
10/25/2011, 01:32 PM
I've never seen a QB go down as quick as Landry does when he scrambles. He kind of plays scared I guess so it doesn't take much to get him rattled. He seems to lack some toughness.

Anyway, I believe that as long as Whitney is still enrolled at OU LJ will be too.

Isn't the going down quick (sliding) per coaches order? On one of his last scrambles it seemed that coaches told him to go and he had a good scramble for a first down even stiffarming a defender on the way.

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/25/2011, 01:34 PM
lol

Yep. 30 of 55 for 412 yards and 5 touchdowns (1 pick) and LJ is ruined.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 03:16 PM
Yep. 30 of 55 for 412 yards and 5 touchdowns (1 pick) and LJ is ruined.

Stats don't tell the whole tale - LJ had an off game. Even many of the completions were a bit off target and forced receivers to adjust. Yards after catch were lost on several plays where the receiver had space, but had to leave his feet to make the catch. And many of the "drops" referenced here were very difficult catches due to ball placement. But I don't for a second think LJ was unprepared or lacked the will to win as some surmise. He just had an off night and he wasn't alone.

budbarrybob
10/25/2011, 05:11 PM
Why am I seeing two Landry's on the original post but when I edit it they're not there? I see that with other's posts as well - words repeated way too often for it to be accidentally. This board has a problem.

Weird, when I resize my browser the extra "Landry" is gone. Must be a browser problem.

Which is really funny. Because when I watched the game last Saturday, I saw 2 Landrys on the field. One that habitually threw behind receivers and one that hit them in stride... weird!

EatLeadCommie
10/25/2011, 05:16 PM
While we can all sit here and pick apart LJ's performance, he probably played the best of anybody on the team-- a team that includes many future pros.

LJ is the least to blame for that meltdown on Saturday night. He absolutely played well enough to win. Not many of the guys on the team can say that.

jumperstop
10/25/2011, 05:18 PM
Dropped passes really hurt the momentum in a lot of those drives that we went 3 and out I believe. Also when Landry is running for the first why does he slide before he makes it to the line. I know they probably tell him to slide if he thinks he's going to get hit, but a couple of times saturday I thought he could have easliy ran for the first, but when he did he slid and it ended up 3rd and 6 or something. They may not want him to get hurt, but a first down could really have helped us with our offensive struggles.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2011, 05:20 PM
While we can all sit here and pick apart LJ's performance, he probably played the best of anybody on the team-- a team that includes many future pros.

LJ is the least to blame for that meltdown on Saturday night. He absolutely played well enough to win. Not many of the guys on the team can say that.

I absolutely disagree - his performance was as big an issue as anyones and he did not play well enough to win. But it wasn't from lack of effort and he never gave up. I don't see "blame" in that - the players are human.

jumperstop
10/25/2011, 05:23 PM
I absolutely disagree - his performance was as big an issue as anyones and he did not play well enough to win. But it wasn't from lack of effort and he never gave up. I don't see "blame" in that - the players are human.

He was at least facing the right direction on most plays.....not all our players can say that. :rolleyes:

VA Sooner
10/25/2011, 05:25 PM
Jones is OK... the second quarter was a forgettable one by all of us in the Sooner Nation but the big thing I took away from this was that the team continued to fight out there on the field... with the exception of perhaps one receiver who didn't cover a DB who was going for the INT.

We pulled to within 3 after being down by 24... team still has it. Just had a bad day and late adjustments by coaching staff.

It's a loss... learn from it and move on. Plenty of football to play.

jumperstop
10/25/2011, 05:30 PM
Jones is OK... the second quarter was a forgettable one by all of us in the Sooner Nation but the big thing I took away from this was that the team continued to fight out there on the field... with the exception of perhaps one receiver who didn't cover a DB who was going for the INT.

We pulled to within 3 after being down by 24... team still has it. Just had a bad day and late adjustments by coaching staff.

It's a loss... learn from it and move on. Plenty of football to play.

Or maybe it was Tech playing soft figuring we had no way of catching up....Jones wasn't terrible, but not all the blame can be put on him. When your receivers keep dropping what you give them, it's hard to get out of any funk...

picasso
10/25/2011, 08:36 PM
Are our kickers projected as first round picks?

I stated that this was my opinion. After listening to the national media this appears to be their opinion as well. Bill King was talking about the great Big 12 QB's. He said Weeden and RG3 could start for any SEC team. He also said Jones was very good but didn't put him up to the level of the other two. I've heard similar comments from other media guys. If you're not better than Weeden or RG3 then you're not the #2 QB in the draft.

Given, these are media guys not scouts or NFL owners but most of what we've heard about Jones being the #2 QB taken was from the same media guys. We'll see. If Jones goes as the #2 QB or in the first round I'll eat my words.

And, again, this has nothing to do with our loss. I've said similar things about Jones after wins. How you guys took this as if I was blaming Jones soley for the loss baffles me.

I like the guy. As I've said I think he's better than all of our QB's under Stoops except Heupel, White, and Bradford.

Anyway, sorry, I guess expressing my opinion that the guy won't be #2 QB taken in the draft was equivalent to badmouthing his mother. Geez, would I have gotten pounded if I said the same thing about Heupel or White?
Wow, so you quoted two talking heads that like those guys better than Jones. Big ****ing deal.

sooneron
10/25/2011, 10:21 PM
zang

picasso
11/1/2011, 11:15 PM
Ahem.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/1/2011, 11:27 PM
No one will draft Griffin or Weeden ahead of Jones...Sorry..Whether or not they are better college players can be argued, but Weeden being 28 automatically pushes him down and Griffin as good as he is, needs a lot of work..

Bottom line is quarterbacking is desparately needed in the league right now, and maybe in year's past, he would be a middle round type player...But if teams will take a flyer on Ponder that early or in a time when guys like Tarvaris Jackson are starting or what they have going in Miami, Washington, Oakland, Denver, Seattle, etc..He is a 1st round pick.....Not to mention now it's not as big of a financial investment...

CowboyMRW
11/1/2011, 11:52 PM
Hey now STEP, you leave Denver outta this. Tebow is going to lead us to a Super Bowl in 4 years or less. You will never see another player push a team as hard as he will push Denver. ;)

CowboyMRW
11/1/2011, 11:54 PM
I heard the list was

Luck, Jones, Tannehill, and Griffin were the top 4 that I heard on the radio the other day as being the first qb's taken.

StoopTroup
11/2/2011, 12:13 AM
No one will draft Griffin or Weeden ahead of Jones...Sorry..Whether or not they are better college players can be argued, but Weeden being 28 automatically pushes him down and Griffin as good as he is, needs a lot of work..

Bottom line is quarterbacking is desparately needed in the league right now, and maybe in year's past, he would be a middle round type player...But if teams will take a flyer on Ponder that early or in a time when guys like Tarvaris Jackson are starting or what they have going in Miami, Washington, Oakland, Denver, Seattle, etc..He is a 1st round pick.....Not to mention now it's not as big of a financial investment...

If Denver Fans can get Tebow a starting job when every expert in the League all agreed with Denver's Coach that not only is Tebow not Ready....he probably never will be....

And a Guy like Cam Newton can satisfy a Team and Fanbase by nearly winning every Game by himself....

Or Colt McCoy can start and play pretty well even though the difference in him and Bradford during Draft Camps was night and day and Bradford proved to be not only a Top Draft Pick but Rookie of the Year in the NFL....

I'm sure everyone is right and that Landry just isn't going to interest anyone.....lol :stupid:

I'm with you on this Step. The NFL is desperate for guys who want a shot at a life changing amount of money and endorsement Contracts that can make you tons of dough that don't have a 350 lb 4.4 in the 40 murderer coming at you for 4 quarters....and I bet he is just gonna go back to finish School with his Wife. :encouragement:

Agents are looking for guys to make them money and if Landry finishes this season without injury...you have to think they see a kid who is a Diamond. He's better than the rest of these guys like Tebow. Numbers just don't lie except if you are Landry Jones? It's a bunch of folks who just don't like him IMO. I've haven't seen a QB at OU put a football in so many different receivers hands ever. Kellen Moore at Boise has done it and I know folks will be interested in him but Landry is doing it in the Big XII and has done it for 3 years. We will be lucky to have him at OU next Season. Anyone that thinks we will be better without him for a 4th year doesn't know what they are talking about.

His Wife is a smart Gal and if they want a really nice start in life they will both take advantage of the opportunities they have before them. Tebow was the ultimate Christian and you didn't see him turn down a chance to make more money than his parent's ever saw as Missionaries. Landry has grown up a lot this last year. I've been impressed with how he handled ESPN Interviews along with Broyles early on and throughout the year. They both are having fun and I seriously see Landry and Ryan headed towards the NFL. Landry has been untouched this year and even though he's been cautious....I just think NFL Coaches are ready to get him away from Bob and start showing him how to deal with quick decision making that he's not been forced to make this year. It's always funny what happens to some guys when challenged and this year I don't think Landry has really been challenged. I think his attitude is that no matter whether it's 3rd and 20...I can get a 1st down and maybe a TD. It's the Red Zone over crowding is where his WRs, TEs and Backs have let him down at times. Give him 3 guys that can catch anything in the NFL and I bet he's there as long as he wants to play.

swardboy
11/2/2011, 06:19 AM
"Hey Sam, ain't it great in the Neffel, where those receivers can catch ANYTHING?!!"

OUNASH
11/2/2011, 07:11 AM
"Hey Sam, ain't it great in the Neffel, where those receivers can catch ANYTHING?!!"

Oh wait, what recievers. Thats what I thought. If sam had an O-line and recievers he would be putting up better numbers. Life as an NFL player isnt great if you dont have the talent around you. I think Landry would be better suited to play another year in college.

primetime43
11/2/2011, 07:35 AM
Hearing Matt Barkley is going to be a top ten QB if he comes out. So Jones may be looked at as the 3rd best QB in this draft.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2011, 08:19 AM
So if he comes back another year and gets drafted early, he will be drafted by a team with good WRs and a good OL? Hate to break it to ya, but most teams draft early in the 1st because they aren't good..

jkjsooner
11/2/2011, 08:34 AM
Ahem.

I was at a wedding so I didn't see the KSU game live. I also forgot to record it so I only got to watch the shortened replay on one of the ESPN channels.

That being said, what I saw from Saturday's game was that Jones had absolutely all day to throw and was allowed to get in a rhythm. He played a great game but we all know that he can play great when things are going smoothly.

C&CDean
11/2/2011, 08:55 AM
Someone let me know when this POS thread serves a useful purpose. You don't like Landry. That is clear. Ad nauseum.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2011, 08:57 AM
Maybe he likes retired mail guys

jkjsooner
11/2/2011, 09:04 AM
Someone let me know when this POS thread serves a useful purpose. You don't like Landry. That is clear. Ad nauseum.

I didn't bump this thread but since someone did I think it's my right to respond....

I like Jones. As I've said plenty of times on this thread, he is better than all of Stoops' QB's except Heupel, White, and Bradford. That's pretty good company but it doesn't guarantee he's going to be the #2 QB.

I hope I'm wrong. If so I'll be very happy for him.

picasso
11/2/2011, 01:37 PM
I bumped it because there's some silent windbags around here after he torched Dr. Snyder's defense for 500+.

LVSOONER15
11/2/2011, 01:43 PM
I bumped it because there's some silent windbags around here after he torched Dr. Snyder's defense for 500+.
This.
There seem to be alot of sillent windbags around these parts.

oumartin
11/2/2011, 02:45 PM
I'd say Landry handles adversity better than one Sam Bradford. Dude seems to play his best when the game is on the line.

8timechamps
11/2/2011, 02:55 PM
For what it's worth, Landry was still at #4 on Mel Kiper's NFL Draft board prior to KSU. NOT the #4 QB, the #4 overall. I hope he comes back, and the fact that Whitney has another year at OU makes it plausible. I don't see Landry as a fired-up, vocal leader...but then again, I'm never on the sidelines, in the locker room or at practice...so I don't know ****. But, what I do know is that the kid knows how to win and can throw the ball well. That's good enough for me.

THEE12NV
11/2/2011, 08:21 PM
For all of you bashing Jones, you might consider that he is 2-0 in Bowl Game starts. You have to go back a few years before finding another starting QB that can say that for OU.

C&CDean
11/2/2011, 08:25 PM
There's a whole lot of things Landry has quietly done that the haters don't acknowledge. That's why they're stupid haters.

hawaii 5-0
11/2/2011, 08:29 PM
Jones is O tay by me.

500 yards and he hardly played the 4th quarter.

I'd still like to see the back-ups get some quality PT tho.

5-0

Eielson
11/2/2011, 08:29 PM
There are a lot of ways to make Landry sound good, but comparing him to Sam Bradford is never, under any circumstance, one of them. Landry is a great quarterback, but he's just not on Sam's level.

C&CDean
11/2/2011, 08:31 PM
There are a lot of ways to make Landry sound good, but comparing him to Sam Bradford is never, under any circumstance, one of them. Landry is a great quarterback, but he's just not on Sam's level.

I know. He's broken pretty much all of Sam's records, so what does that make him?

Eielson
11/2/2011, 08:38 PM
I know. He's broken pretty much all of Sam's records, so what does that make him?

Who holds the career record for passer efficiency in college football?

picasso
11/2/2011, 08:44 PM
Who holds the career record for passer efficiency in college football?
Had Sam stayed he would have broken the NCAA career TD record but we tend to forget he helped lay a few eggs while he was here, same as Landry. 2007, Colorado comes to mind.

prrriiide
11/2/2011, 10:08 PM
he is better than all of Stoops' QB's except Heupel, White, and Bradford. That's pretty good company but it doesn't guarantee he's going to be the #2 QB.

Starting QBs under Stoops:

Heupel
Hybl
White
Bomar
Thompson
Bradford
Jones

So, your reasoning puts him in the middle of the pack. Pretty talented pack.