PDA

View Full Version : game start times...

ouwino
10/23/2011, 08:35 AM
well, i finally did it. after attending OU football games every home weekend since 1977,i finally had to do it. i could not stay till the end. living three hours from Norman, we had to leave early in order to get home before 4 am. i know it was weather related and it was no ones fault, but it got me to thinking...

i remember back when coach switzer was coaching. OSU had installed lights and played a few games at night. a lot of the southwest conference teams had lights and played a few night games. i remember coach being asked by a reporter why OU did not put in lights and play at night? his response was that alot of the OU fans are from all over the state. travel a great distance. some as far away as Altus, and Guymon. and he argued that it would be too hard on the fans to make them travel that far at that time of day.

dang, i miss the good old days. back when the fans were more important than the all mighty dollar. back when companies and teams treated their "customers" with care and respect.

yes, i am uspet about the loss. but, i am more upset that i had to leave before the end of the game. after 30+ years, with the advent of HD tv, with surround sound, with the advancing years, and with the fact that tv revenue is what the driving force is in college football, i think my football ticket days may be numbered. :upset:

soonercoop1
10/23/2011, 08:51 AM
definitely need to stop or limit the night games...

OUHOMER
10/23/2011, 08:59 AM
It has not been about the fans, or the consumers in while. Its all about the benjamins. I still believe the "cant leave and come back into the stadium or bring in a bottle of water " is more about making the consumer buy water for $3.50 than about security.

ouwino
10/23/2011, 09:24 AM
i know it will never happen, but perhaps the trend could be changed. if the next time a game is scheduled for after 6 pm, no fans showed up. i wonder if the "powers that be" would get the message???? probably not. they would already have their ticket revenue and tv revenue. only thing they would be missing is concession sales and the merchants would suffer. would that be enough to change the minds of the decision makers???????

btb916
10/23/2011, 09:48 AM
Last year almost all of our games were in the day. So it's not like this has been going on for years or anything...but I do agree that the schedule has had way too many night games.

I don't blame you for hightailing it with such a long drive. Unfortunately my drive is much shorter (30mins), and I don't have that justification, so I was forced to stay 'till the bitter, bitter end, with a bunch of jack-jawed Tech fans behind me. What an awful feeling that is, which we haven't had in a loooong time...

jumperstop
10/23/2011, 10:30 AM
It has not been about the fans, or the consumers in while. Its all about the benjamins. I still believe the "cant leave and come back into the stadium or bring in a bottle of water " is more about making the consumer buy water for $3.50 than about security.

They were just letting people walking in and out during the rain delay. I never even showed my ticket to get into the game. So much for security.

I mentioned this in another thread. People have kids and church too, they don't want to be out to 1030 11.

tulsaoilerfan
10/23/2011, 10:52 AM
They were just letting people walking in and out during the rain delay. I never even showed my ticket to get into the game. So much for security.

I mentioned this in another thread. People have kids and church too, they don't want to be out to 1030 11.

And i'm sure there are also people at the games that may have to go to work on Sunday morning; we should never play any games after 6 PM