PDA

View Full Version : Bob as a Motivator?

Sooner in Tampa
10/23/2011, 06:12 AM
I really do have to question Bob's ability to motivate our team for certain games. The proof is in the pudding for more than one game...I have wondered it for years...starting with the horrific loss to BSU.

Does our coaching staff lack the ability to get the team up for "lesser" opponents? And does our coaching staff lack the ability to teach our kids to deal with a little bit of adversity?

The delay sucked and I think it affected our team more than Tech and we had some pretty significant injuries, but damn...

I can assure you this not a knee jerk reaction...I have pondered again since our flat performances against MU and KU...and now ultimately TTU.

Flame away, but I think it's a legit question.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2011, 06:31 AM
The problem exists in your underlying assumptions and a concept called "confirmation bias". In order to truly prove its all motivation, you have to first elminate all other factors -> weather, injuries, comparitive talent level, turnovers, etc. For example, you mention the Boise State game as "motivation", yet we led most of that game. We also had DJ Wolfe and Lendy Holmes in the secondary who were average college players. These are disprovers of motivation since a slow start would be mandatory to prove lack of motivation.

To show you the bias in your assumptions, I'll state that Adrian Peterson was not a good college running back. To prove it, I'll only use the W/L record of OU in games that he played from the last game of 2004 through 2006 (we had a losing record in those games btw). Because of confirmation bias, every time we lost from 2004 to 2006 it would just further prove in my mind that he wasn't a good running back. Even if other stats (yards/carry) etc proved that he was a good college running back.

Sooner in Tampa
10/23/2011, 06:35 AM
jkm...please don't get me wrong...I am not trying to "confirm" anything...I just thought it should be discussed.

I wouldn't have any other coach in America...but that doesn't mean that I don't question some of the performances/actions of our teams.

I am willing to listen to both sides of the argument...that's why I asked the question.

LRoss
10/23/2011, 06:40 AM
What happened to "Bob has lost his Big-Game Bob mojo?"

First he was the greatest big-game coach ever. Because he won a couple.

Then he was a terrible big-game coach, because he lost a couple.

Once in a while he loses a game against a lesser foe, too (which is pretty well inevitable because pretty much every foe is lesser and pretty much nobody goes undefeated every year). And so lately he can't win the easy one.

This isn't a flame, I see your point and what you see. But I don't think the big picture backs this up at all. I think he's a fantastic coach who's built a top-tier program and won a ton of games, but not all of them, and that makes the losses appear bigger, which makes fans dig harder for explanations, which makes statistically insignificant happenings look like major trends.

CBUS_SOONER
10/23/2011, 07:09 AM
We do look bad in games we r a heavy favorite

tooslow
10/23/2011, 07:13 AM
For example, you mention the Boise State game as "motivation", yet we led most of that game......

Not sure what game you are talking about, so I'll try not to make an assumption. When we played Boise State, we were getting drilled and NEVER led the game until the final minute or so. Hell, even that was short lived. Not to mention we had to score 24(?) straight points to take that short lived lead.

I definitely agree that, for whatever reason, motivation is something this staff is just not good at. The motivation factor really shows in our Bowl Games over the years. I can't recall when our team came out and showed the same skill in a bowl game as they did during the regular season.

Okie35
10/23/2011, 07:15 AM
Coaches coach, players play. Bob or Brent yelling at Lynn doesn't magically give him cover skills. Usually the team is motivated in big games but emotions don't help with technique. As far as this game goes the team was unprepared. I'm pretty sure they were motivated.

Widescreen
10/23/2011, 07:17 AM
For example, you mention the Boise State game as "motivation", yet we led most of that game.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But we didn't lead most of that game.

End of 1st Q:
BSU 14
OU 7

End of 2nd Q:
BSU 21
OU 10

End of 3rd Q:
BSU 28
OU 17

End of 4th Q:
BSU 35
OU 35

Edit: I see tooslow already commented on this. NEvermind.

soonercoop1
10/23/2011, 07:44 AM
Bob's teams have had the same problems for several seasons now and he has refused to fix them...OU will never win a MNC as long as BV coaches the D and they run that same complicated porous scheme....Special Teams have been terrible for several seasons but again Bob gets a pass...time to stop giving Bob a pass...Stoops is definitely not much of a motivator or game planning coach just look at his bowl record...

General Applewhite
10/23/2011, 07:59 AM
No one likes seeing Bob take shots more than me....but what needs to happen to these kids to be jacked about being undefeated with a national title shot and playing on national TV to keep that shot alive? This is not on Bob as a motivator.

winout
10/23/2011, 09:17 AM
Led most of the game against Boisey... that's a funny one, so much for the rest of your post.

Anywho, yes motivation is one of the things I rail on w Stoops that last few years. He wants to treat games like a business trip. Ol' Barry, as much as I didn't like his style, could get his teams up for games. Stoops wants to downplay "Sooner Magic". Switzer knew it was marketing to get his players to expect something big when we needed it. Bob has nothing in there to motivate the spirit... it's all just x's and o's with him.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/23/2011, 09:49 AM
Things started going south as a team when Mike Stoops left. He went beyond just being a defensive coordinator at Oklahoma. Oklahoma didn't start suffering any blow-outs or getting flat-out embarrassed on the defensive side of the ball until he departed. Sure, they had some bad games, but at least they were actually against good offenses and the 2001 and 2002 (now show on offense in the 1st half) losses to Oklahoma St., the Sooner offense was just as guilty.

btb916
10/23/2011, 09:59 AM
Things started going south as a team when Mike Stoops left. He went beyond just being a defensive coordinator at Oklahoma. Oklahoma didn't start suffering any blow-outs or getting flat-out embarrassed on the defensive side of the ball until he departed. Sure, they had some bad games, but at least they were actually against good offenses and the 2001 and 2002 (now show on offense in the 1st half) losses to Oklahoma St., the Sooner offense was just as guilty.

A 5-7 season is "things going south." If you think "things have gone south" since the early part of the 2000s you're out of your mind.

Question Bob's ability to motivate, I think that's fair...but to say we haven't been wildly successful is to believe in the tooth fairy. You're either a little kid...or you're insane.

Sooner in Tampa
10/23/2011, 10:01 AM
A 5-7 season is "things going south." If you think "things have gone south" since the early part of the 2000s you're out of your mind.

Question Bob's ability to motivate, I think that's fair...but to say we haven't been wildly successful is to believe in the tooth fairy. You're either a little kid...or you're insane.

When I think of "going south" I think of the horrid 90's

Yes...we have been wildly successful...but, I doubt that I was the only one who thought after we beat FSU to win #7 that we would STILL be waiting for #8.

A lot of it has to do with egg laying against crap teams...

btb916
10/23/2011, 10:07 AM
When I think of "going south" I think of the horrid 90's

Yes...we have been wildly successful...but, I doubt that I was the only one who thought after we beat FSU to win #7 that we would STILL be waiting for #8.

A lot of it has to do with egg laying against crap teams...

I wasn't really addressing you at all. In fact I agree with you to a certain extent. The poster I quoted said things "went south" when Mike Stoops left. And that's baloney.

OhU1
10/23/2011, 10:31 AM
I have more concerns about "Small Game Bob" than I do "Big Game Bob". We seem to play up or down to the level of competition this year. Last night we just let it get too far away. The team fought back from 24 down which shows some "in game" motivation we've lacked prior to 2010. Lacking Flemming and Wort was enough to create the perfect storm last night, but I don't want to sound like a *. Plenty of fault to go around and Tech executed - we didn't.

mainline13
10/23/2011, 12:04 PM
Many of Stoops' detractors think of him as an arragant pr*ck, and I think that's fairly accurate. IMO, when we have a team that is talented, but not extremely so, that arrogance can instill in the team a belief that they can beat anybody. Sort of like in 2000.

When we have a team that is elite, talent-wise - or nearly so - Bob's arrogance makes the team arrogant. They start believing that they can win without showing up.

It's just a theory, but it's one I've been considering since the B12CG in 2003.

delhalew
10/23/2011, 01:05 PM
The body language out there said it all. Players not playing the ball on offense or defense, Landry's lack of accuracy, on and on.

I can't understand not giving it all you've got, especially given the special aspects of this season that I don't even want to mention.

cleller
10/23/2011, 01:16 PM
Its tough being in the big time all the time.

yankee
10/23/2011, 01:25 PM
Some of you shouldn't read Skip Bayless tweets.

Breadburner
10/23/2011, 01:28 PM
I love the stupid threads after a loss......

DocD
10/23/2011, 01:33 PM
This is a good topic. I think there is plenty of evidence to support the hypothesis of Bob's weakness.

The problem is "expectations." As Sooner fans we all have very high expectations and often forget to be grateful for the immense success our teams have earned.

Personally, I have just come to the conclusion that I may have to reel in my expectations a little. I think it is just so tough to win the national title now that I think our odds have diminished to a very low level. I want to win it every year or 10 but I just don't see it happening. Sadly, its probably going to just be some magical "out-of-the-blue" year like 2000 before we win it all again.

In the meantime we have to be content with beating Texas and OSU and winning the Big 12 on a fairly regular basis.

On a side note it does seem to me - real evidence to back this up - that Bob does a better job of coaching lesser talented teams than he does with teams who are expected to do something special.

cyclonesooner
10/23/2011, 01:46 PM
Arrogance is the best adjective to describe Bob and our coaches. Leaving Gabe Lynn in at corner. running the same unimaginative vanilla running plays in red zone. The list goes on.

Sooner Among The Pack
10/23/2011, 02:10 PM
I was concerned with Bob's lack of emotion. Maybe they just didn't show it or my eyesight was blocked by the constant facepalms, but that surprises and worries me.

Sooner in Tampa
10/23/2011, 02:47 PM
I don't like Skip Bayless, but he does have moments of clarity

As I said, I have pondered the same thing more than once

wishbonesooner
10/23/2011, 04:57 PM
Arrogance is the best adjective to describe Bob and our coaches. Leaving Gabe Lynn in at corner. running the same unimaginative vanilla running plays in red zone. The list goes on.

I've thought that over the years too. Our staff takes longer than any I've ever seen to adjust from their original gameplan, almost like it hurts their pride to change and have to admit they missed it.
We have a bunch of kids that don't care as much for being a Sooner as they care about being on TV.

Okie35
10/23/2011, 05:17 PM
I don't like Skip Bayless, but he does have moments of clarity

As I said, I have pondered the same thing more than once

This wasn't one of them. Bayless is an attention whore and troll. He's NEVER liked Bob Stoops, yet he's quick to bet on OU games. I wonder if he's done that the Blake years? He probably wasn't even an OU fan then like he claims to be now.

lasooner123
10/23/2011, 05:26 PM
The problem exists in your underlying assumptions and a concept called "confirmation bias". In order to truly prove its all motivation, you have to first elminate all other factors -> weather, injuries, comparitive talent level, turnovers, etc. For example, you mention the Boise State game as "motivation", yet we led most of that game. We also had DJ Wolfe and Lendy Holmes in the secondary who were average college players. These are disprovers of motivation since a slow start would be mandatory to prove lack of motivation.

To show you the bias in your assumptions, I'll state that Adrian Peterson was not a good college running back. To prove it, I'll only use the W/L record of OU in games that he played from the last game of 2004 through 2006 (we had a losing record in those games btw). Because of confirmation bias, every time we lost from 2004 to 2006 it would just further prove in my mind that he wasn't a good running back. Even if other stats (yards/carry) etc proved that he was a good college running back.

did we? i must be misremembering us having to work extremely hard to get back in it

ashley
10/23/2011, 07:26 PM
The players played awful in the first half. That is all. Get over it. All this mombo jumbo psyco crap is silly.

Sooner in Tampa
12/4/2011, 10:16 AM
Well, looks like we have ANOTHER case in point!!!

Yet another uninspired and undisciplined effort...but it's OK...we will just go into the offseason, turn the page and everything will be peachy keen next year. The status quo is acceptable for most.

SyN
12/4/2011, 10:36 AM
Bob a Motivator? No! I hope after this nightmare is over... and during the offseason changes are made...Other wise we will have the same problem next season...
Though we probably will not be ranked in the top 25.... which might be a blessing.... No high expectations in any way shape or form...

Okie35
12/4/2011, 12:07 PM
Bob a Motivator? No! I hope after this nightmare is over... and during the offseason changes are made...Other wise we will have the same problem next season...
Though we probably will not be ranked in the top 25.... which might be a blessing.... No high expectations in any way shape or form...

We'll be in the Top 25 if LJ comes back.