PDA

View Full Version : Perspective people...

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 12:46 AM
We lost. It really sucks. But, I guarantee you that not one person on this board is feeling anything close to what those players and coaches in the locker room are feeling.

Feel free to debate the play calling, the the officiating, or even the level of noise in the stadium....BUT....do not break down a single player and attack him personally. There is a difference in saying "he played poor tonight, seemed a little disinterested" versus "The son of a *****, he cost us the game! He should just quit!".

Understand?

If you have problem understanding that, the Mods will be close by to help you out.

Now, carry on with the breakdown of the game...

kevpks
10/23/2011, 12:48 AM
Three games against top 20 teams left. Win out. See where you end up.

Indy Sooner
10/23/2011, 12:51 AM
Three games against top 20 teams left. Win out. See where you end up.

Watching Boise vs. SEC for the NC.

BigJerm7
10/23/2011, 12:52 AM
It doesn't matter why we lost, we still lost. Not the end of the world. Learn to enjoy life regardless.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2011, 12:53 AM
Good try 8timechamps, but there's blood in the water and we'll be rippin' our own for a while.

I know it's a little evil, but after a disappointing game, I get a little comic relief from our melt-down squad. I wonder if Badger will be summarizing.

delhalew
10/23/2011, 12:55 AM
I thought this team wanted it. Clearly I was wrong.

MyT Oklahoma
10/23/2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah we lost but so what? It's not the first time OU has lost a game and it sure won't be the last.

I do remember my personal meltdown in 1975 when KU beat us in Norman. Thank God I've mellowed over the years.

En_Fuego
10/23/2011, 12:56 AM
I really dont see how anyone could blame or single out one person. This was a combined effort.

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 12:56 AM
Good try 8timechamps, but there's blood in the water and we'll be rippin' our own for a while.

I know it's a little evil, but after a disappointing game, I get a little comic relief from our melt-down squad. I wonder if Badger will be summarizing.

I'm fine with the football criticism, it's the personal attacks on the players that I won't be okay with....and will see to it that bans are passed down for that reason.

kevpks
10/23/2011, 12:58 AM
Watching Boise vs. SEC for the NC.

A one loss OU ranked in the top 5 coming off a win against an undefeated OSU would pass Boise, not Stanford or Clemson, but Boise won't play for a title.

OU-HSV
10/23/2011, 01:00 AM
I thought this team wanted it. Clearly I was wrong. Exactly. And I'm not going to call out a particular player, because I don't think one player was responsible for this meltdown. That said, it was pretty obvious the defense lost this one. They looked lost most of the night. Awful defensive performance, one of the worst I've seen in the Stoops era. I just don't think this D was national championship caliber this year, and they've obviously shown signs in multiple games that they weren't national championship caliber. (especially tonight's game).

AlboSooner
10/23/2011, 01:00 AM
We have no business in the title game. Title run is over.

MyT Oklahoma
10/23/2011, 01:02 AM
I really dont see how anyone could blame or single out one person. This was a combined effort.

Yep.

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 01:05 AM
This was a loss in all three phases of the game. A complete letdown. I can't remember a Stoops team that lost all three phases. Anyway, the title run isn't officially over. We just no longer control our destiny. We'll need help, but it's not completely impossible.

IBleedCrimson
10/23/2011, 01:06 AM
Feel free to debate the play calling, the the officiating, or even the level of noise in the stadium....BUT....do not break down a single player and attack him personally. There is a difference in saying "he played poor tonight, seemed a little disinterested" versus "The son of a *****, he cost us the game! He should just quit!".

well said.

mightysooner
10/23/2011, 01:06 AM
Another apologist thread. Yippee!

OU-HSV
10/23/2011, 01:07 AM
This was a loss in all three phases of the game. A complete letdown. I can't remember a Stoops team that lost all three phases. Anyway, the title run isn't officially over. We just no longer control our destiny. We'll need help, but it's not completely impossible.I can...against Tech in Lubbock two seasons ago. I was there and it was terrible.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2011, 01:07 AM
Exactly. And I'm not going to call out a particular player, because I don't think one player was responsible for this meltdown. That said, it was pretty obvious the defense lost this one. They looked lost most of the night. Awful defensive performance, one of the worst I've seen in the Stoops era. I just don't think this D was national championship caliber this year, and they've obviously shown signs in multiple games that they weren't national championship caliber. (especially tonight's game).

I would agree but I can see no reason that this OU team would only have 7 points at the half against one of the worst defenses in college fooball..getting 3 and outs and the speed of light..

From Bob Stoops down to the water boys, every part of this team is responsible

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 01:10 AM
Another apologist thread. Yippee!

Who's apologizing? I'm warning that anyone calling out players will be short lived here. Wanna go rip up the scheme or the coaching staff, go for it Vince Lombardi. Attacking players on a message board is both classless and aggie-like...neither will be tolerated.

OU-HSV
10/23/2011, 01:12 AM
I would agree but I can see no reason that this OU team would only have 7 points at the half against one of the worst defenses in college fooball..getting 3 and outs and the speed of light..

From Bob Stoops down to the water boys, every part of this team is responsibleTrue about the 7 points in the first half thing. But the fact that the offense was forced to need to score 42 in Norman (or anywhere for that matter) to beat a mediocre texas tech squad is pathetic and should be tabbed as failure by the defensive unit as a whole. I don't know that anyone could argue against this point.

VA Sooner
10/23/2011, 01:13 AM
So close... oh so close.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2011, 01:17 AM

From Bob Stoops down to the water boys, every part of this team is responsible

^Correct. This team was only going to go as far as LJ and the offense could take them. No way were we going to out-Alabama our way on defense to a title. 7 points at half and leaving our defense on the field with repeated 3 and outs was a recipe for.... well, what we just saw.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2011, 01:18 AM
The missouri game was quickly headed this way at 14-3 and then the offense responded..when OU got down 14-7 then 21-7, the return punch just wasn't there..

Sabanball
10/23/2011, 01:19 AM
I agree...Lots of football yet to be played. Will probably be tough(though not impossible) for you guys to to get back in the NC race, but everything else is still achievable.

oudavid1
10/23/2011, 01:23 AM
'09 Texas. Not even close.

I sat and listened to the "eyes of texas". Worse feeling football related ive ever felt.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2011, 01:23 AM
I guess the good news is we just acquired a bunch of fans that will be pulling for us to knock of OSU if they are still unbeaten. :stupid:

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 01:26 AM
I guess the good news is we just acquired a bunch of fans that will be pulling for us to knock of OSU if they are still unbeaten. :stupid:

See...you ALWAYS find the silver lining!

FrostySooner
10/23/2011, 01:27 AM
I agree that all 3 phases of the game were lost tonight. You can't blame just the defense on this loss. We had at least 8 or 9 three and outs on offense and that really hurt our chances. With the speed of the game, it gave little to no rest for a defense. We also have to remember that we played without Jamell Fleming and Tom Wort.

Losing Whaley wasn't that big of deal to me. We have struggled running the football every year since AD left. Murray did OK but we still didn't have that prolific back to carry the load. Until we address the fact that we can't score from 3 yards out on 4 downs, we will not be championship caliber. The offense looked horrible at times and it is because we are simply one-dimensional.

As long as we continue to recruit nothing but speed on defense, offenses will find a way to expose us. We need some nastiness on our defense and until that is done, we will not be championship material. You can't put 4 defensive lineman and 7 defensive backs on the field and expect to win. Find some nasty linebackers and move what we call linebackers to the safety positions.

And finally, we need to really do some searching for a good fg kicker. We really haven't had a clutch kicker since Tim Duncan IMO. Hartley was OK but still had his issues. I think Honeycutt might turn out to be pretty good. He has looked pretty accurate this year but needs games like the TT game to get better. Only time will tell. In ways, I am glad we lost now instead of at the end of the year. Don't think we are near good enough to play with the likes of Bama or LSU.

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 01:32 AM
I agree that all 3 phases of the game were lost tonight. You can't blame just the defense on this loss. We had at least 8 or 9 three and outs on offense and that really hurt our chances. With the speed of the game, it gave little to no rest for a defense. We also have to remember that we played without Jamell Fleming and Tom Wort.

Losing Whaley wasn't that big of deal to me. We have struggled running the football every year since AD left. Murray did OK but we still didn't have that prolific back to carry the load. Until we address the fact that we can't score from 3 yards out on 4 downs, we will not be championship caliber. The offense looked horrible at times and it is because we are simply one-dimensional.

As long as we continue to recruit nothing but speed on defense, offenses will find a way to expose us. We need some nastiness on our defense and until that is done, we will not be championship material. You can't put 4 defensive lineman and 7 defensive backs on the field and expect to win. Find some nasty linebackers and move what we call linebackers to the safety positions.

And finally, we need to really do some searching for a good fg kicker. We really haven't had a clutch kicker since Tim Duncan IMO. Hartley was OK but still had his issues. I think Honeycutt might turn out to be pretty good. He has looked pretty accurate this year but needs games like the TT game to get better. Only time will tell. In ways, I am glad we lost now instead of at the end of the year. Don't think we are near good enough to play with the likes of Bama or LSU.

You summed up just about everything I felt after the loss. Well said.

soonercoop1
10/23/2011, 08:05 AM
Not sure I believe that or they would have played with some heart...the Offense was stymied by the 2 worst Ds in D-1 in consecutive weeks...certainly not the first time a Stoops team played without heart...and yes we can certainly blame the D once again because D wins championships...same problems different season...

CBUS_SOONER
10/23/2011, 08:08 AM
I thought this team wanted it. Clearly I was wrong.

Its the same sh!t different yr. Its like a broken record... Just when we think this team get it, BAM!!!!

cleller
10/23/2011, 08:18 AM
Not sure I believe that or they would have played with some heart...the Offense was stymied by the 2 worst Ds in D-1 in consecutive weeks...certainly not the first time a Stoops team played without heart...and yes we can certainly blame the D once again because D wins championships...same problems different season...

During the Missouri game thread, I made the comment, "Our defense is just not very good", and promptly got called a crap fan.

Was only trying to make an objective observation. I guess there are going to be lots of crap fans, and crap sportswriters around now.

OUNASH
10/23/2011, 08:33 AM
This was a complete bust by all from the coaches to the players to the fans. We failed to show up and it bit us at a great cost. Time to move on. I always hope the team and coaches learn from these games, but we continue year end and year out to repeat the same pattern.

nmsoonergirl
10/23/2011, 08:36 AM
We lost. It really sucks. But, I guarantee you that not one person on this board is feeling anything close to what those players and coaches in the locker room are feeling.

Understand?

If you have problem understanding that, the Mods will be close by to help you out.

Now, carry on with the breakdown of the game...

Okay, fine. But I wish we had won.:upset:

But, as I told my Texan husband last night...somehow it's so much less painful to lose to Tech than to Texas....

Sooner95
10/23/2011, 08:49 AM
Yea, tough loss, but it is what it is. I could point out several things that contributed from horrid secondary play, to getting very little pressure on the QB, missing to many starters finally caught up to us, poor offensive execution to we have got to find some consistency in the kicking game, fg's and punting.

As the cliche goes, we got beat in all three phases of the game.

Our schedule now looks a bit more daunting going forward. I think it will be more important to see how this group bounces back going to the little apple next week. see what they are made of.

kevpks
10/23/2011, 08:56 AM
During the Missouri game thread, I made the comment, "Our defense is just not very good", and promptly got called a crap fan.

Was only trying to make an objective observation. I guess there are going to be lots of crap fans, and crap sportswriters around now.

When we aren't getting turnovers, our D looks pretty average to poor. Apparently, we also lack depth.

TUSooner
10/23/2011, 09:02 AM
We have no business in the title game. Title run is over.

Yep, the charade is over for another year. There is no "D" in O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A, nor in "BV" for that matter.
We're the Corvette (fast but fragile) in the demolition derby while the winners (LSU, Bama) are driving tanks.

delhalew
10/23/2011, 09:13 AM
Am the only one that thinks it's as simple as half assed effort. Just because you can do that against KU doesn't mean you can do it every week.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/23/2011, 09:17 AM
I just wish they would consistently play four quarters of ball. It seemed like it took a while for them to get rolling and once they did it was too late. When we were just down 7 and again at the end when we were just down 3, it seemed like we were going to get it done. But you can't win a game when you don't play lights out the entire game.

sortiz1965
10/23/2011, 09:22 AM
Who's apologizing? I'm warning that anyone calling out players will be short lived here. Wanna go rip up the scheme or the coaching staff, go for it Vince Lombardi. Attacking players on a message board is both classless and aggie-like...neither will be tolerated.

Who named you administrator??? I pay hundreds of dollars for season tickets to watch idiot Hunnicutt clang critical field goals?? No sympathy...all this moron has to do is kick balls!! That's it! I blame the coaches too, who had this team horrendously unprepared. But game was still within reach, and our IDIOT kicker blew it. No sugarcoating this...so tolerate THAT, you self-righteous moron.

Pricetag
10/23/2011, 09:31 AM
Am the only one that thinks it's as simple as half assed effort. Just because you can do that against KU doesn't mean you can do it every week.
That's a huge part of it. In a way, it's a good thing that this home winning streak is over. That's one less thing that these guys can feel entitled to.

Doged
10/23/2011, 10:04 AM
Who named you administrator??? I pay hundreds of dollars for season tickets to watch idiot Hunnicutt clang critical field goals?? No sympathy...all this moron has to do is kick balls!! That's it! I blame the coaches too, who had this team horrendously unprepared. But game was still within reach, and our IDIOT kicker blew it. No sugarcoating this...so tolerate THAT, you self-righteous moron.

Guess you're new around here. Calling out players has never been acceptable on this board nor, I suspect, will it ever be deemed so.

sortiz1965
10/23/2011, 11:10 AM
Guess you're new around here. Calling out players has never been acceptable on this board nor, I suspect, will it ever be deemed so.
No I am not new and yes, I am calling out Hunnicutt. He needs to go. Unfortunately, the options left are not any good. Make that FG and we are back in the game. The one poster who derisively called this an apologist thread is exactly right. I suppose you don't spend $$ on season tickets, plus driving, hotels, etc, to watch them blow a game like this. So yes, I am calling out the entire team - except maybe Landry - for a pathetic and embarrassing effort. So deal with it.

OUInformant
10/23/2011, 11:43 AM
Oh gawd, here we go with the proverbial "keep it in perspective" threads after horrible losses.

rock on sooner
10/23/2011, 12:52 PM
Sortiz1965 needs to chill out. This was a TEAM loss, not just one player. I've been watching Sooner football since 1952 and in every
case every time the team has won or the team has lost. Last night was no different.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2011, 12:59 PM
By all means, call out a walkon kicker that had been kept on the bench by Stevens while he was healthy. That had way more to do with it than a highly rated offense that made "3 and out" the popular new buzz phrase.

cccasooner2
10/23/2011, 01:04 PM
By all means, call out a walkon kicker that had been kept on the bench by Stevens while he was healthy. That had way more to do with it than a highly rated offense that made "3 and out" the popular new buzz phrase.

We once had Chuck Third and Long, now we have Josh 3 and OUt. I blame it on Jimmie too. :roll eyes

blacktop
10/23/2011, 01:07 PM
Yes we didn't play an inspired game and yes it was a collective effort. So where do we go from here? 4 of our next 5 games are going to be tough. LSU has Bama & the SEC title. Bama has LSU, Auburn, and the SEC title. Stanford has Oregon, Notre Dame, & title. Pokes have 4 out of 5 tough games. K-State has 4 out of 5 tough games. Boise State has TCU, San Diego State & title game. Clemson has South Carolina & title game. Lotta football to be played and all of will be here. The team that can come out of the B12 with one lose or less will be a potent and highly ranked team. I'm saying we can do it! If we can we might get another shot at Boise at the very least. Boomer!