PDA

View Full Version : Another one

Sooner5030
10/23/2011, 12:28 AM
College Football is an extremely competitive sport…especially with all of the money spent on coaches and facilities to compete with the best recruits possible.

We will always win more than we lose with coach Stoops….and after witnessing first-hand the 95-98 seasons I can state I am blessed to have such a successful program since then.

Something is terribly wrong with us under performing in certain games. It’s not on display anywhere else in college football….at least not at the elite level….and especially as consistently on display as with us.

This is a bad night and I wish those making +$200k on the staff wont shrug it off so easily after we finish with only 2 losses and a BCS win and the mob forgets about tonight.

Indy Sooner
10/23/2011, 12:38 AM
Excellent post. Seems every year there is one game against a lesser (on paper, anyway)
opponent which OU shouldn't lose...but does...
and unfortunately the days of losing one and getting in are behind us.

LRoss
10/23/2011, 12:45 AM
This is a bad night. No argument there.

The problem with being an elite program is you're supposed to win pretty much every game. There are very few that you're "supposed" to lose, so almost any loss can be made to feel and appear like a catastrophic failure. But if you play enough games, whether you're the better team or not, sometimes you lose. It DOES happen everywhere -- that's how we get a 15 page meltdown thread. The only difference is VERY few programs are elite enough to be shocked and outraged after ANY loss.

Congrats to Tech, they played a great game. No turnovers, didn't hurt themselves with penalties or missed fg's, and made a whole mess of plays on offense (many -- although certainly not all -- of which were really pretty well-defended). OU didn't play their best and it still would have been enough to beat many teams, and probably even Tech on many nights.

It sucks. But losing happens to half of the teams that take the field every single week. Right now Tech feels like a million bucks for winning a game they weren't "supposed to." I'd still rather expect to win every game and be pissed at the occasional loss than cheer for a mediocre program that's surprised when they manage to win a big one.

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 12:50 AM
Very good post.

Tonight, I think we got outplayed by an inferior team. Doegde looked like John Elway. The breaks went their way, and we started off sluggish, Tonight, unlike last week, it cost us. However, this time next week, I'll be just as excited about the KSU game as I was for this one. And when we play in the BCS game, I'll be the first to yell Boomer Sooner.

Losses hurt so much because we win a lot. That's the price we pay as fans of the best program in the land.

BigJerm7
10/23/2011, 12:50 AM
Agreed on all fronts. I've learned to not get too excited over the last few years. Someone always sneaks up on us. The older I get, the less worked up I get.

Tomorrow will come, the loss will sting less as each day goes by. I have a job, a nice house, and the best 4 year old son anybody could ask for. He is slowly becoming an OU fan, so that is good enough.

8timechamps
10/23/2011, 12:52 AM
College Football is an extremely competitive sport…especially with all of the money spent on coaches and facilities to compete with the best recruits possible.

We will always win more than we lose with coach Stoops….and after witnessing first-hand the 95-98 seasons I can state I am blessed to have such a successful program since then.

Something is terribly wrong with us under performing in certain games. It’s not on display anywhere else in college football….at least not at the elite level….and especially as consistently on display as with us.

This is a bad night and I wish those making +$200k on the staff wont shrug it off so easily after we finish with only 2 losses and a BCS win and the mob forgets about tonight.

I will take exception to one thing: "It's not on display at other elite programs". If that were true, we'd have at leas 5 or 6 undefeated teams every year. Every program loses.

agoo758
10/23/2011, 12:53 AM
It just seems like another year, yet another not quite getting it down for Number 8. But, I guess you'll get that feeling when you have been as successful as we have. Now I know how Nebbish fans felt with Osbourne for the first 20 or so years.