View Full Version : Ill start it...

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2011, 12:27 AM
Time to demote Brent Venables.

Notice I didnt say fire him.

Demote him to volunteer!

Curly Bill
10/23/2011, 12:30 AM
If we ever want to win #8 something's going to have to happen with him.

SOONER44EVER
10/23/2011, 12:33 AM
Might as well "demote" Heupel too. The offense was just as pathetic as the defense.

The Ghost of Mex
10/23/2011, 12:33 AM
Was he wearing 9 tonight?

Sooners78
10/23/2011, 12:37 AM
Might as well "demote" Heupel too. The offense was just as pathetic as the defense.

Nope. 38 is enough to win. Venerables screwed the pooch tonight.

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2011, 12:37 AM

Exactly. If Fleming plays tonight, and not Lynn, I think we win.

delhalew
10/23/2011, 12:41 AM
Don't let Hurst, Stills, Landry, Hunnicut, or a dozen others off the hook.

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2011, 12:48 AM
I'm not. Hurst gave up two huge fades (not much he could do on the one for the TD), but Fleming for Lynn would have made a big difference.

MyT Oklahoma
10/23/2011, 12:50 AM
It was a team effort (the loss). We will still live though.

nBoSTP
10/23/2011, 12:51 AM
I always think the defense plays with more passion and aggression when they are blitzing more. Brent however has never met a zone he didn't love. Not a good match.

TrophyCollector
10/23/2011, 12:51 AM

Who's job is it to recruit a backup and have them ready to go? I'm sure at least one other elite team was able to beat a 28 point underdog on their home field with one injured DB.

azheat4u
10/23/2011, 12:52 AM
Everyone wants to blame the coaches but did you see the poor tackling, dropped passes, missed blocks, missed FGS, bad passes? I can go on and on the team didn't execute and everyone shares the blame from coaches, to players to even the fans. Give TT a littl credit they made the plays when they needed to and we didn't. It's not the end of the world just the end of our chances at another title.

EnragedOUfan
10/23/2011, 12:57 AM
I saw our WR's line up 10 yards off the line of scrimmage all night......I saw the same zone defense that is used during all of our big losses........I saw virtually no pressure from our LB's all night. Lewis is great when he's blitzing and in people's face, not when he's dropping back every play to defend the pass..........Why not have the DB's get in Tech's WR's faces? Whatever happend to man defense against the spread, we have the athletes and speed......

Why did it take an entire half to realize that Lynn needs to come out of the game? Why not set up that last missed field goal to be kicked from the middle instead of the left hash marks? Makes sense, Stoops should have seen that coming.........

It has become almost the standard for OU to allow 500 plus yards against true spread offenses.

IronHorseSooner
10/23/2011, 01:19 AM
I saw our WR's line up 10 yards off the line of scrimmage all night......I saw the same zone defense that is used during all of our big losses........I saw virtually no pressure from our LB's all night. Lewis is great when he's blitzing and in people's face, not when he's dropping back every play to defend the pass..........Why not have the DB's get in Tech's WR's faces? Whatever happend to man defense against the spread, we have the athletes and speed......

Why did it take an entire half to realize that Lynn needs to come out of the game? Why not set up that last missed field goal to be kicked from the middle instead of the left hash marks? Makes sense, Stoops should have seen that coming.........

It has become almost the standard for OU to allow 500 plus yards against true spread offenses.

I agree whole heartedly!

1. This is not Gabe Lynn's fault, it is Venable's fault. If you have a guy like Colvin who can be physical and cover, why not realize this for starters? I'm not an offensive genius, but even I could figure out that they were going to go after Gabe. Venables should have fixed it WAAAAY sooner than he did.
2. I don't blame Hunnicutt. I blame the staff for not having a dedicated ST coach who can spot deficiencies. There is no excuse for this.
3. I don't blame Finch for not getting that first down in the 4th quarter, or Millard getting drilled at the goal line. I blame coaches for not getting an OL ready to do power running. Ikard and Stephenson looked confused. Why? Because you have TWO OL coaches. Here's an idea, instead of having two OL coaches, have just one, and use that other coaching slot TO GET AN ST COACH!!!!

In all, I don't blame the players as much as I blame the staff for not having the guys prepared or motivated. We have a philosophy in the military that if a soldier is making mistakes, you don't necessarily yell at the soldier, you yell at their leadership. Reason- because it is that leader's job to either ensure that the soldier is trained to do their job, or that they may need to be given another job. The exception to this when the soldier does something illegal, unethical, or immoral as an individual. In short, there needs to be a change. Even The King said that this staff loses way too many games that they have no business losing. I don't know what that change will/should be, even though I do have my personal opinion. This is up to Coach Stoops, and possibly the administration. We have way too much talent and facilities to settle.

mightysooner
10/23/2011, 01:20 AM
Flynn didn't give up 38 point my friend.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2011, 01:21 AM

38 points will win a bunch of games, hell it should win all games.

I will also give Josh a pass this season since it is his first season as the play caller.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/23/2011, 01:21 AM
We have a philosophy in the military that if a soldier is making mistakes, you don't necessarily yell at the soldier, you yell at their leadership. Reason- because it is that leader's job to either ensure that the soldier is trained to do their job, or that they may need to be given another job.

But what if the soldier just sucks at HIS job and either refuses to get better or is too stupid?

AlboSooner
10/23/2011, 01:22 AM
It shouldn't take a good coach three quarters to realize Lynn is having a bad night. You can't wait until the game is out of reach to make adjustments.

Look people in the business wonder all the time why OU struggles so much on D. I remembering Pat Jones trying to say that OU should not struggle like this on D, because the talent is too good. He hinted around it that the problem was coaching.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2011, 01:23 AM
Exactly. If Fleming plays tonight, and not Lynn, I think we win.

No we wouldn't have.

They beat us in the middle. They scored 2 times on the side Lynn was playing (Hurst gave up one of those TDs). there were a few plays his side that went for big gains...but what hurt us the most was in the middle.

AlboSooner
10/23/2011, 01:25 AM
No we wouldn't have.

They beat us in the middle. They scored 2 times on the side Lynn was playing (Hurst gave up one of those TDs). there were a few plays his side that went for big gains...but what hurt us the most was in the middle.

They killed us with the run as well. Just gashed us with the run. This was a scheme mismatch. Brent V was taken to the woodshed.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2011, 01:32 AM
It shouldn't take a good coach three quarters to realize Lynn is having a bad night. You can't wait until the game is out of reach to make adjustments.

Look people in the business wonder all the time why OU struggles so much on D. I remembering Pat Jones trying to say that OU should not struggle like this on D, because the talent is too good. He hinted around it that the problem was coaching.

This loss is not at all on Gabe Lynn. He was trying. He was just not ready for whatever reason.
This loss starts with out coaching philosphies that change from game to game on our defense. "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

If you watch a Bama game or an LSU game. They don't try to do too much on the defense. They keep it basic, or simple. Year in and year out no matter who their DC is, they are a top 10 defense in scoring and total yards...and they are also a top 10 defense in turnovers created...rarely do you see either of these teams give up 41 points at home against lesser opponents. Rarely do you see these teams give up 41 points to lesser opponents anywhere.

Nobody on this forum can convince me that Brent Venables is the best option for OU.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2011, 01:33 AM
They killed us with the run as well. Just gashed us with the run. This was a scheme mismatch. Brent V was taken to the woodshed.

Well, OU sold out to stop their pass, when they should have sold out to stop their run first....like we normally have done agianst them in the past.

Our defense made Tech look like world beaters tonight.

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2011, 01:39 AM

Pardon me if I don't take coaching tips from Pat ****ing Jones.

IronHorseSooner
10/23/2011, 02:10 AM
But what if the soldier just sucks at HIS job and either refuses to get better or is too stupid?

Then you owe to the person to let them go. You are wasting both your and their time, and everyone else watches their morale go in the can.