PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 12:39 PM
Really good 3-minute segment by Colbert this week. http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/400164/october-19-2011/indecision-2012---herman-cain-canes-the-unemploye (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/400164/october-19-2011/indecision-2012---herman-cain-canes-the-unemployed)d

Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful GOP leaders if they are empty caricatures of righty (base) talking points? Wasn't this Palin's appeal?

Caboose
10/22/2011, 01:06 PM
Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful DEM leaders if they are empty caricatures of Lefty (base) talking points?

Fixed it for you. And the fact that you are deferring to Colbert for your politics says all we need to know.

Colbert is entertaining, but that is about all the credit one can give him.

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 02:06 PM
And the fact that you are deferring to Colbert for your politics says all we need to know.

Colbert is entertaining, but that is about all the credit one can give him.

Which part of Colbert's clip did you find particularly incorrect or unfounded?

I thought that it was full of truthiness. I doubt that you even watched it.

And sadly, the "minorities who have to be empty caricatures of political talking-points" idea might extend to both sides of the aisle. America, you so racist.

Caboose
10/22/2011, 02:21 PM
Which part of Colbert's clip did you find particularly incorrect or unfounded?

I thought that it was full of truthiness. I doubt that you even watched it.

And sadly, the "minorities who have to be empty caricatures of political talking-points" idea might extend to both sides of the aisle. America, you so racist.

Frankly, I didnt watch your link. But the typical Colbert bit is to not address his target's actual points or arguments, but to twist their words into something else entirely and attack that instead for big laughs and high fives among his largely ignorant audience. "Oh wow, he sure showed him".... Um, actually he didn't. It was funny though.

If Colbert made an honest argument this time, my apologies.

How is Cain an empty caricature of anything? Do you only expect achievement in education and success in business for white people?

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 02:35 PM
Frankly, I didnt watch your link.

Yawn.

Caboose
10/22/2011, 03:57 PM
Yawn.

I guess you didnt want to address why you dont think a black man should be expected to be successful?

SicEmBaylor
10/22/2011, 04:06 PM
Really good 3-minute segment by Colbert this week. http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/400164/october-19-2011/indecision-2012---herman-cain-canes-the-unemploye (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/400164/october-19-2011/indecision-2012---herman-cain-canes-the-unemployed)d

Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful GOP leaders if they are empty caricatures of righty (base) talking points? Wasn't this Palin's appeal?

This is a ridiculous statement. So, any minority who happens to be a conservative is automatically a caricature of right-wing talking points? I'm not a supporter of Cain, but he's a successful businessman who seems sincerely principled.

If there are minority Republicans who are not "caricatures" of right-wing talking points that aren't successful then it has nothing to do with the fact that they're a minority and everything to do with the fact that they aren't conservative enough for the base.

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 04:36 PM
This is a ridiculous statement. So, any minority who happens to be a conservative is automatically a caricature of right-wing talking points? I'm not a supporter of Cain, but he's a successful businessman who seems sincerely principled.

You'll see that I qualified my statement to lefties and righties alike.

Furthermore, I'm talking mainly in response to the video (so shush-up, Caboose. You're a pud) where Cain is spouting "Pull Yerselves Up By Yer Bootstraps!" cliches while simultaneously blaming the Obama administration for failed economic policies (and not Wall Street). The two ideas don't mesh; they're meaningless talking points.

I think that Palin was similarly able to gain Conservative support by repeatedly appealing to a right-wing pathos (like Cain above) without saying anything of real substance.

But then again: maybe that's just politics and their blackness or womanness is irrelevant. Paul continues to be the only candidate who is saying anything meaningful, and he's also the most widely dismissed. It's probably not a coincidence. (And for the record, I think libertarianism is a dumb ideology; I just admire Paul for actually being a real person with ideas and emotions).

Caboose
10/22/2011, 04:49 PM
I think that Palin was similarly able to gain Conservative support by repeatedly appealing to a right-wing pathos (like Cain above) without saying anything of real substance.

To avoid any further meaningless argument... can I just ask if are willing to admit that the same thing is true of Obama? Did Obama not gain Liberal support by repeatedly appealing to a left-wing pathos without saying anything of substance?

The reason I ask, whether you can bring yourself to admit it or not (because we all know it is true), is because I find it curious that people vilify one person for a quality or trait that they worship in another. Why do you suppose that is?

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 04:53 PM
To avoid any further meaningless argument... can I just ask if are willing to admit that the same thing is true of Obama? Did Obama not gain Liberal support by repeatedly appealing to a left-wing pathos without saying anything of substance?

Was Obama's campaign mostly reinforced by fervent pathos? Of course; it's probably what got him elected.

Was he an empty shell of talking points and finger-pointing? No. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Regardless, Obama's campaign and presidency is irrelevant. That's not the topic.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/22/2011, 05:33 PM
Cain's not sure if he's pro- or anti-abortion rights, but when they happen, he's for lectrocution.

sappstuf
10/22/2011, 06:49 PM
Was Obama's campaign mostly reinforced by fervent pathos? Of course; it's probably what got him elected.

Was he an empty shell of talking points and finger-pointing? No. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Regardless, Obama's campaign and presidency is irrelevant. That's not the topic.

Where is "hope and change" on that link? It doesn't get anymore empty than that.

Caboose
10/22/2011, 07:27 PM

Well in four years we might be able to see which of Cain's promises were kept or not with the benefit of hindsight.
During his campaign Obama was as vague as humanly possible, he claimed he would do a few things but refused to explain how... only that he had some nebulous mysterious plan... but what he ran on was empty meaningless catchphrases that appealed to the lowest common denominator - Like "Hope and Change".

soonercoop1
10/22/2011, 07:56 PM
What is right-wing? Empty shell=successful and educated businessman. Colbert=liberal/progressive talking points. I watch him from time to time to see their agenda.

soonercruiser
10/22/2011, 07:57 PM

Is that a racist statement?? Or, just severely stereotyping blacks?
You say - Blacks must be liberal to not be discredited for being a leader???

By stereotyping in a similar way, I could say that traditional black leaders are leading the black community info poverty and personal failure. And, you want "more of same"???
:distant:
Fiffy!

Turd_Ferguson
10/22/2011, 08:02 PM
What is right-wing?Starboard???

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 08:02 PM
Well in four years we might be able to see which of Cain's promises were kept or not with the benefit of hindsight.

What promises? Other than 9-9-9 being thrown around gratuitously, I haven't really heard of any actual proposals. Maybe I'm wrong. Am I?

I even clicked on his website, and you should look too: http://www.hermancain.com/the-issues

If you click around the various "issues," you will see that his response to each is a cliched 3-paragraph response; they sound smart, and it sounds like he's taking a position. But it's basically the stereotypical Conservative position anyway, and he never submits a single plan. He just rattles off meaningless crap about "strengthening the borders" (or "The Free-Market RULEZ!!1"). It's offensive; he isn't saying anything. And he might be in the lead for the GOP nomination?

Again, maybe that's just politics. But it really is pathetic (both for Cain and the entire GOP, basically).

diverdog
10/22/2011, 08:09 PM
Frankly, I didnt watch your link. But the typical Colbert bit is to not address his target's actual points or arguments, but to twist their words into something else entirely and attack that instead for big laughs and high fives among his largely ignorant audience. "Oh wow, he sure showed him".... Um, actually he didn't. It was funny though.

If Colbert made an honest argument this time, my apologies.

How is Cain an empty caricature of anything? Do you only expect achievement in education and success in business for white people?

To bad because Colbert destroyed Cain and his idiotic comments.

Caboose
10/22/2011, 08:09 PM
What promises? Other than 9-9-9 being thrown around gratuitously, I haven't really heard of any actual proposals. Maybe I'm wrong. Am I?

I even clicked on his website, and you should look too: http://www.hermancain.com/the-issues

If you click around the various "issues," you will see that his response to each is a cliched 3-paragraph response; they sound smart, and it sounds like he's taking a position. But it's basically the stereotypical Conservative position anyway, and he never submits a single plan. He just rattles off meaningless crap about "strengthening the borders" (or "The Free-Market RULEZ!!1"). It's offensive; he isn't saying anything. And he might be in the lead for the GOP nomination?

Again, maybe that's just politics. But it really is pathetic (both for Cain and the entire GOP, basically).

I believe you are missing the point that during his campaign, Obama did the same thing.... "Hope and Change!!!", "Bush sucks", "Yes We Can", "I am black" etc. Empty meaningless slogans/personal narratives.

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 08:16 PM
I believe you are missing the point that during his campaign, Obama did the same thing.... "Hope and Change!!!", "Bush sucks", "Yes We Can", "I am black" etc. Empty meaningless slogans/personal narratives.

So Cain isn't a shi**y presidential candidate because Obama did the same thing? That's weak; what does Obama have to do with anything?

Plus, you're wrong regardless. Sure, catch-phrases figured heavily into Obama's campaign. But he did actually say some real things. I just showed the link above (this one (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter))!

Cain's positions look and sound like this:

We must support our military with the best training, equipment, technology and infrastructure necessary to keep them in a position to win. We must also provide our men and women in uniform, our veterans and their families with the benefits they deserve for their tremendous sacrifice. These heroes have served us. We must never forget to serve them.

See, who could disagree with that???! What a guy!

I'll grant that he did promise to repeal Obama's healthcare bill, and that's a very brave position. Though it was actually worded that he would "repeal and replace health care 'deform,'" but he didn't actually propose anything new. Just yelled "Free Market RULEZ!!1" a bunch.

Caboose
10/22/2011, 08:21 PM
So Cain isn't a shi**y presidential candidate because Obama did the same thing? That's weak; what does Obama have to do with anything?

Plus, you're wrong regardless. Sure, catch-phrases figured heavily into Obama's campaign. But he did actually say some real things. I just showed the link above (this one (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter))!

I was simply asking why you championed/ignored the same behavior in Obama that you have a problem with in Cain. Obama's campaign was based on empty meaningless catchphrases.

Serge Ibaka
10/22/2011, 08:26 PM
I was simply asking why you championed/ignored the same behavior in Obama. . .

I didn't.

XingTheRubicon
10/24/2011, 09:09 AM
Herman can hear Jimmy

AlboSooner
10/24/2011, 10:14 PM

It's pretty much the norm for anybody, not just minorities.

MR2-Sooner86
10/24/2011, 10:45 PM
I see it's already starting. A black man isn't a Democrat, on welfare, and made something of himself? Mother ****er must be an Uncle Tom and sellout.

Serge Ibaka
10/24/2011, 11:01 PM
I see it's already starting. A black man isn't a Democrat, on welfare, and made something of himself? Mother ****er must be an Uncle Tom and sellout.

Who said that? Nobody said that.

Don't work yourself into a tiff, now.

Caboose
10/25/2011, 08:02 AM

You are the one who brought race into this. Tell us what exactly you expect from black men. Maybe that will shed some light on why you are so offended by Herman Cain being educated, articulate, and independently successful.

Serge Ibaka
10/25/2011, 05:13 PM
You are the one who brought race into this. Tell us what exactly you expect from black men. Maybe that will shed some light on why you are so offended by Herman Cain being educated, articulate, and independently successful.

I'm not.

Y'all cannot read.

MR2-Sooner86
10/25/2011, 09:53 PM

Translation: I'm going to pretend that I don't know what you're saying even though anybody with an IQ above room temperature can see what's going on.

I know your little progressive mind is working overtime trying to spin this, as seen in this thread, so I'll go easy on you. Keep on going though as it's very entertaining.

Is it just me yes, or can minorities blacks you mean? only become successful for sure can't have blacks becoming this word GOP leaders if they are empty caricatures sure sounds like "empty caricature" could be replaced easily with "sellout" of righty (base) talking points? Wasn't this Palin's appeal?

"If blacks sellout their race and ideals, will they become good little GOP slaves?" Sounds like a pretty good translation to me.

Remember, you're the one who brought it up, not me.

You're like the media who called the Tea Party racist, even though that $100,000 reward to prove it is still up for grabs, yet ignore the liberal protest of Clarence Thomas where they said on camera to hang and lynch him.

Caboose
10/26/2011, 07:06 AM
I'm not.

Y'all cannot read.

If not offended, you certainly expressed incredulity and/or scorn. Why is it an issue for you to see a black man who is successful, educated, and thinks for himself? You most certainly asserted that Cain should not be any of those things due to his race. Why?

Caboose
10/26/2011, 07:20 AM
To bad because Colbert destroyed Cain and his idiotic comments.

IF true, this means what to us exactly about Cain? Meaning: Obama's idiotic comments are destroyed all the time. So are your own. What should we make of it?

cleller
10/26/2011, 07:55 AM
Why doesn't Colbert really have some fun, and put Herman Cain up in a debate with some imminent Democrats like Sheila Jackson Lee, and Corrine Brown?
If he really want to point out someone not being qualified for a role, that is. Colbert wouldn't do that because he's biased hypocrite at heart.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/28/2011, 01:08 AM
From TNR:

Herman Cain’s recent stumbles over substantive issues have a way of making Rick Perry seem like the Stephen Hawking of politics. In the midst of a softball CNN interview last week, he appeared to abandon his no-exceptions anti-abortion stance. The former pizza magnate also said that he hypothetically might swap terrorists held on Guantanamo for an American soldier—and then embarrassingly backtracked during the Las Vegas debate. Asked about his foreign policy orientation on Meet the Press, a baffled Cain replied, “I’m not familiar with the neo-conservative movement.” And listening to Cain constantly struggle to explain why his regressive 9-9-9 plan would not raise taxes for most Americans is a reminder of the punch line of an old joke: “Do you believe me or your own eyes?”

Cain has scored above 25 percent in a string of October national polls and has topped Mitt Romney in several of them. Despite the snickers from the pundit pack (myself included) about the presidential credentials of a former pepperoni peddler turned motivational speaker, Cain is cresting. It is easy to tick off glib explanations for his dramatic ascent: the Rick Perry implosion; the need for the anti-Romney vote to go somewhere; his humor and genial unflappability in the early debates; his compelling life story; and the obsession of conservative true believers with cockamamie tax plan.

...adding to this mixture is the fact that Republican voters—judging from every poll in this political season—would prefer not to nominate Mitt Romney. But the Anybody But Romney forces keep struggling with that ancient rule of politics and boxing: You can’t beat somebody with nobody.

soonercoop1
10/28/2011, 10:59 AM
Not to concerned about it since our foreign policy has been so "successful" in the last 20 years...who cares if he lacks political experience...I don't and I believe it is an asset as do many others...

Trophy Husband
10/28/2011, 04:04 PM

Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful DEM leaders if they are empty caricatures of lefty (base) talking points? Wasn't this Obama's appeal?