PDA

View Full Version : Curious Question (o Coordinators vs D Coordinators)

humblesooner
10/21/2011, 10:31 AM
I have never coached football or even played serious football.
Why is it better for the O Coord to be "in the booth" but better for the D Coord to be "on the field"?

5thYearSooner
10/21/2011, 10:34 AM
Good Question...idk the answer

Mad Dog Madsen
10/21/2011, 10:36 AM
I know why...

delhalew
10/21/2011, 10:40 AM
I'll give my opinion but that's all it is.

I see it as a matter of compromise. Both would benefit from the view in the box, but it seems more important for a D coordinator to be able to grab a guy by the facemask, and keep intensity up. D coordinators seem to have that intense in your face style, whereas offensive guys have that mad scientist "I need the overview" mentality.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2011, 10:43 AM
Because the QB and Head Coach communicate with the OC who sees the field directly, the QB being responsible for the direction of assigned plays on the field. IOW, the plays are rehearsed and carried out the same every time, directed by the QB. The OC can see trends in the defense and call these rehearsed plays from above. The QB is responsible for real time analysis of the defensive formation (man-to-man, zone, etc.)

The defense has no rehearsed plays, just formations, assignments and stunts/etc. The DC typically communicates to his defense in groups or units (LBs, DBs) and can communicate real time by yelling to get the players set or change their assignments, based on the offensive formation shown. He could not do this from above. He also is more inclined to group his defense together when the offense is on the field and coach 'em up, whereas the OC's coaching has to be completed prior to the game.

It simply boils down to: O-plays=rehearsed D-formations/assignments=much more fluid --- Action vs. Reaction

There probably isn't a real pat answer, just a natural process that made sense in order to be able to carry out what I wrote above.

humblesooner
10/21/2011, 10:44 AM
The reason I asked the question is, I saw someone in a different post talking about the defensive adjustments that we made against KU. Someone else made the comment that we should have made those adjustments sooner than halftime. Also, we better be ready to adjust quicker when we get in to a Championship game against Bama or the game will be over by the time we make halftime adjustments.
Just wondering if it would easier to make in-game adjustments if BV were in the booth.

northspeter
10/21/2011, 10:53 AM
d coordinators have been in the booth before... its just a matter of personal preference on the coaches part... you can see the adjustments that need to made easier from the booth, but its harder to communicate that to the sidelines and players...

badger
10/21/2011, 10:56 AM
Answer:
http://www.matthaugland.com/pics/venables.jpg

What, you thought those faces were for the cameras? They're defensive signals to the defense on the field :D

Also, isn't one O-coordinator upstairs and one on the field for OU this year, or are they both upstairs? I thought I saw Jay on the field...

delhalew
10/21/2011, 11:04 AM
Jay stays on the sideline. Love Venebles D face.

KantoSooner
10/21/2011, 11:12 AM
Would it be illegal to have a 'deer stand' type thing for the D coach? I'm about 6' even and when I am standing on the sidelines at a high school game, I have a hell of a time really seeing what's going on as well as I'd like to.

badger
10/21/2011, 11:13 AM
I think someone also needs to be upstairs to communicate with the quarterback via that fun little radio signal thingie. Plus, they take photos of defensive schemes upstairs to show the quarterbacks during games, so it probably helps to have an upstairs perspective.

It is amazing how much booth coaches react to successful plays upstairs. It's pretty cool to watch, if any of you have binoculars or the means to ever sit near a coaches box:)

Howzit
10/21/2011, 11:50 AM
Would it be illegal to have a 'deer stand' type thing for the D coach? I'm about 6' even and when I am standing on the sidelines at a high school game, I have a hell of a time really seeing what's going on as well as I'd like to.

You should totally get a pair of stilts. That would be AWESOME!

BigTip
10/21/2011, 12:05 PM
You should totally get a pair of stilts. That would be AWESOME!

I laughed out loud when I first read this, but then got to thinking, that if a coach thought it would give him any edge, he would do it. Then I laughed again thinking of all d-cords. in the country walking up and down the lines wearing painter's stilts. lol.