PDA

View Full Version : Mild observation

gaylordfan1
10/20/2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone else see how we have been playing to the level of our compitition this year? Our 2 biggest games ( FSU & UT) we came in pumped and took care of business from the first snap. Our other games we come in flat with no other game plan other to just win the game and get out. The KU game really brought this to my attention. Nothing flashy on offense... Which is probably a good idea to just keep things on the down-low... Not to show anything until its needed. But, wouldn't it be reasonable to show some things so the other team has to plan for it and at the same time getting some on the field feed back to see if it works and how we execute it? It seems we have saved big plays in the past and they have failed when we finally bring them out because of a lack of execution. Did anyone else see coach V on the sidelines against KU? He wasn't even close to being jacked, even on busted plays. It appeared to me we didn't do anything big with packages.... I know maybe it wasn't needed.... But why didn't blitz the crap out of them in the first half like we did the second half.... We could have held them to 12 total yards for the entire game (I'm exaggerating of coarse). I may be goin a little overboard, I just needed to kill some time while my wife watches Greys.

8timechamps
10/20/2011, 08:34 PM
The thought crossed my mind too. But, I'm too lazy to go back and reference every play from all the games. So, I'm just going to say "I agree", and if you're wrong, then let me be the first to call you a moron.

OUHOMER
10/20/2011, 08:36 PM
I pretty much agree, They came out so flat, I was hoping he would go a head and put in the back ups and say go for it. Show us what you got. They would be jacked up to play.

BoulderSooner79
10/20/2011, 09:00 PM
Easy to understand coming out flat against KU and I expected it. Lots of emotion in the UT game regardless of rankings and the players knew they would beat KU no matter what. I'm not so sure they came out flat against Mizzou - I think it was more that Mizzou did some things early they didn't expect and had to make some adjustments. I would expect the team to be pretty even keel and focused the rest of the way. All the remaining teams are threats to some extend, but none look excessively emotional except OSU.

rock on sooner
10/20/2011, 09:28 PM
Conventional wisdom would dictate that OUr guys would be jacked for FSU, * and Okie State and a certain amount of flatness
after the first two. The other thing is OUr guys need to stay focused on each game and not underestimate or overlook anyone
else (on the coaches here and some common sense). Just win...just win sez Capt. Obvious!

8timechamps
10/20/2011, 09:35 PM
What makes me think this team is special, and can win it all, is that we come out flat and play the worst game of the year...on the road...and still win by 30.

Seamus
10/20/2011, 10:28 PM
The thought crossed my mind too. But, I'm too lazy to go back and reference every play from all the games. So, I'm just going to say "I agree", and if you're wrong, then let me be the first to call you a moron.

I'm awfully damn close to making that a signature line.

Hell, why not?

primetime43
10/21/2011, 07:54 AM
I love how when we play "lesser" opponents we play vanilla on offense and we don't show our hand. Can we just admit we played like sh*t.

Soonerjeepman
10/21/2011, 08:07 AM
I love how when we play "lesser" opponents we play vanilla on offense and we don't show our hand. Can we just admit we played like sh*t.

I can...I think we just played like @hit....I do agree they were not emotionally charged at all...they seemed very blah blah blah coming out of the locker room.

and we did pull out the Ninja formation 1 time...to a horrible end..lost yards..

CrimsonRez
10/21/2011, 08:10 AM
It's all apart of the plan...

OrlandoSooner
10/21/2011, 08:44 AM
To be fair, Kansas is awful! A lot of teams beat them by 30+.

We played flat, but I don't think very many people are worried about this Sooner team. I know that I'm not.

jkjsooner
10/21/2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think we came out flat against Ball State. I know, that's not saying much but still...

I'm not so sure they came out flat against Mizzou - I think it was more that Mizzou did some things early they didn't expect and had to make some adjustments.

This is a little troublesome. We know in a national title game with over a month to prepare that the other team will come up with some things we didn't expect. Considering the strength of their defenses, we can't afford to be caught off-guard by UA or LSU's offense. Defensive adjustments will need to be made quickly.

SoonerSpock
10/21/2011, 09:56 AM
What makes me think this team is special, and can win it all, is that we come out flat and play the worst game of the year...on the road...and still win by 30.

With a top 5 offense against the worst defensive team in the FBS, definitely playing to the level of the competition. A receipt for disaster in the future.

8timechamps
10/21/2011, 02:57 PM
With a top 5 offense against the worst defensive team in the FBS, definitely playing to the level of the competition. A receipt for disaster in the future.

That's what the naysayers said after Mizzou...then we proceeded to dismantle texas. I'm not worried, it seems to be the character of this team.

PLaw
10/21/2011, 04:04 PM

Wow, a 30 point victory is playing to level of the competition?? We must be pretty darn good, but we should have hung half a hundred on them., meh??

BOOMER

marfacowboy
10/21/2011, 04:15 PM
Just winning ain't ever enough, I guess.

NormanPride
10/21/2011, 04:31 PM
They got 22 freaking yards in the second half and we beat them by 30.

No team can be "hyped up" to play every game. It's impossible to maintain that level of emotion every week.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2011, 05:41 PM
I don't think we came out flat against Ball State. I know, that's not saying much but still...

This is a little troublesome. We know in a national title game with over a month to prepare that the other team will come up with some things we didn't expect. Considering the strength of their defenses, we can't afford to be caught off-guard by UA or LSU's offense. Defensive adjustments will need to be made quickly.

I didn't find it troublesome (having to adjust against Mizzou). Seems recent teams were in trouble if they didn't blow the other guy off the field from the get go. This teams seems to remain calm and take over the game - I'm counting the last few games from last season as part of "this team". In fact, I felt something in the Mizzou game I haven't felt in a while -- "inevitability". That's the feeling I've had in the past when I watch some elite evil team that I'm pulling against get behind early in a game. It may suck me into watching the game hoping for the upset, but the evil team slowly and inevitably takes control and I know once they tie it or get the lead - it's over for the underdog. That's what I felt watching OUr squad against Mizzou and it was for the good guys this time.

Besides, if we get to a title won't we have a few things up our sleeve for them to have to adjust to? If it doesn't work both ways, then they are better than us.