PDA

View Full Version : Mens bball Big 12 media days

badger
10/20/2011, 10:54 AM
BRING ON THE LON!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111020_92_0_KANSAS28440)

"We haven't won the last couple years, but just three years ago we were playing a game to get to the Final Four," the first-year Sooners coach said. "So we're not that far removed.

Oklahoma has a great tradition, and our guys understand that. They understand they need to take a lot of pride in doing whatever they can as a group to get us back to that level.

"Right now it's a case of not worrying too much about what's down the road, but investing everything they possibly can every day. Our guys are gaining a sense of that responsibility. They're sincere about lining up and trying to take care of it."

The fact that Mississippi State transfer Romero Osby is now eligible after sitting out the 2010-11 season should help OU's task.

"From day one he has been a terrific worker," Kruger said. "His attitude is very good. He's a good leader. He's all about the team.

Yes, time to find out if Romero is all he was hyped to be by Felton J., or if that was his way of begging for another year :rolleyes:

ESPN also did an article yesterday here (http://insider.espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/basketball/recruiting/story/_/id/7120357/new-oklahoma-sooners-coach-lon-kruger-making-good-impression).

How successful the Oklahoma men's basketball team is going to be on the court with first-year coach Lon Kruger remains to be seen.

Off the court, though, Kruger has made his presence known on the recruiting trail. With a proven track record and a friendly personality, Kruger has already nabbed two quality shooting guards in Buddy Hield (Wichita, Kan./Sunrise Christian) and Je'lon Hornbeak (Arlington, Texas/Grace Prep).

Hornbeak was one of several top Sooners targets in attendance for OU's Hoops Jam on Sunday night, a free event for fans to watch the team practice.

[+] EnlargeLon Kruger
AP Photo/Sue OgrockiNew Sooners coach Lon Kruger is making an effort to show attention to in-state prospects.
"It went very well," Hornbeak said. "I had my whole family there to watch, and they really liked the atmosphere. Coach Kruger just comes at you with open arms and makes you feel appreciated."

One of the biggest ways Kruger is showing his appreciation is by targeting in-state prospects, something former coach Jeff Capel didn't often do.

I think little poke general Travis Ford goes later today and Bil Self went earlier today:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=440&articleid=20111020_440_0_KANSAS413953)

"We don't like Missouri a lot," Self said. "I hear from other people they don't care for us that much. (But there's) one thing about rivalries. When you get in a situation like this, there is the hidden mutual respect that kind of comes out. I think that does exist. I would hate to lose that. I really would. This league, I can't speak for everybody, but speaking from my vantage point, I would love to have Missouri in it. Love it.

"But I also think this: It's not the same situation that it has been in months past or 18 months ago where the league is jeopardy. I feel good about our league. I think our league is probably stronger today than it ever has been because you have key players (read: Oklahoma, Texas) in our league that seem to be on the same page more than they ever have been. It's not like Missouri is putting our league in jeopardy. I don't feel that at all."

I hope everyone is getting some jabs in A&M's direction too :rcmad:

badger
10/21/2011, 04:17 PM
Everything about this guy says "winner"

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111021_92_B11_CUTLIN60680)

And then the season will start and I will hopefully not be back-deleting every nice thing I've ever said about him :P

pappy
10/22/2011, 02:09 PM
I'm excited about the season. I'm not expecting championship out of Kruger immediately, but hopefully we can do better than tied for last like we are picked preseason by the coaches. I'll be very excited if we finish top 5. I think Kruger is gonna turn the program around given some time to do it.

badger
10/25/2011, 12:47 PM
Sooo... excited about the upcoming season, eh?

I couldn't wait any longer: I posted the first game on vBookie! It's less than a week away! Check it out here. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?161693-11-1-First-Sooner-mens-basketball-game-of-the-season!)

If it's not painfully obvious, I don't know much about this team or what to expect, so I chose some players at random (focusing on senior and returners, yes) and chose some key stats that they should hit against an exhibition opponent... or at least I hope they do!

Boomer!!!!!

PS: Long distance vBet also open till next month here. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?159927-Longterm-vBet-How-does-the-mens-basketball-team-do-this-season)

badger
10/26/2011, 12:14 PM
So either our guys are just relieved to be rid of Capel, or just looking to be rid of losing.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111026_92_B5_CUTLIN231125)

Player-coach relationships are being constructed off the court as well. That was supposed to one of the strengths of former coach Jeff Capel, a 36-year-old closer to today's generation of players than the 59-year-old Kruger.

"I think Coach Kruger is a lot more personable," forward Tyler Neal said. "He's easy to talk to. After every meeting we have, he always says, 'Is there anything we need to do for you guys?' That really hits for me."

I know that the season hasn't started yet... but it sure seems to be off to a good pre-start :)

Ton Loc
10/26/2011, 12:25 PM
Keep up the good work Badger. I asked my wife for men's season tickets for my Birthday. She gave me the strangest look.

badger
10/26/2011, 01:06 PM
If I were your wife I would give you a strange look too... but that is only because I live in Tulsa and not MWC. I could probably survive the drive from MWC to all the games instead of Tulsa.

Plus, I hear that mens season tix are as cheap as womens season tix this year: 99 bucks! Not too shabby. I hope it works and people get back for a few games. If I'm up for it, I'll try to make a weekend double header with the men/women (and maybe even baseball again!) late in the season.

Ton Loc
10/26/2011, 04:39 PM
$99 bucks is super cheap. I think she has spent that much just on small ticket packs in the past.
I'm officially excited about Lon and the team. I feel like I must be the only one though, this thread has 8 posts and 9 views.

badger
10/26/2011, 05:46 PM
Don't pay attention to views -- that has been bugged on here since the SF.com massive update.

Our hardcore basketball fans usually post at a different board, but once football season is waning they usually show up more here.

I will lurk at ouhoops.com for stuff if I really want to find rumors and stuff. Those guys are really crazy about Sooner basketball over there. We're more casual here :)