PDA

View Full Version : OU leaving the starters in. OSU...

badger
10/19/2011, 01:21 PM
Is not even practicing that much. Huh?

Coach Mike Gundy is taking a ''less is more'' approach at No. 6 Oklahoma State.

Less practicing, more winning.

Gundy has instituted shorter practices for the Cowboys (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) in recent years, coinciding with a steady rise up the rankings. Instead of taking advantage of the maximum 4 hours per day or 20 hours per week allowed by the NCAA, Oklahoma State practices less than 4 1/2 hours per week.

That's 1 hour, 45 minutes on Tuesdays; 1 hour, 35 minutes on Wednesdays and an hour on Thursdays. That's it.

Gundy believes there's a point of diminishing returns in practice and players will be more productive if they enjoy what they're doing.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/No-6-Cowboys-get-most-out-of-shorter-practices-42387154)

This is going to bite them in the arse later this year when their players are too tired to finish a game... like the game between both of us. That game. Yes, that game.

NormanPride
10/19/2011, 01:50 PM
I just don't see how this is possible. There must be something else going on. There just isn't enough time to effectively install a gameplan in 4 hours.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/19/2011, 01:53 PM
Well, I guess that partly explains why they give up close to 30 points per games besides just their front four stinking.

silverwheels
10/19/2011, 02:07 PM
I just don't see how this is possible. There must be something else going on. There just isn't enough time to effectively install a gameplan in 4 hours.

It's enough time to effectively install their gameplan.

NormanPride
10/19/2011, 02:11 PM
I guess... I can't imagine this actually being true. There must be a misunderstanding.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/19/2011, 02:16 PM
I bet that by the time the "zero U" game comes around, they will find time to tackle and lift weights...

CowboyMRW
10/19/2011, 03:01 PM
Most of our time is spent in the film room. But actual pads time, this article is correct. Mondays are off. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are full pads, and then a walk through Thursday.

I'm not worried about our conditioning. We have one of the best college S&C coach in the country in Coach Glass.

NormanPride
10/19/2011, 03:33 PM
It's not the conditioning you should worry about. It's the fact that the coaches get very little hands on time with the kids. This will kill later in the season and later years because the players aren't going to develop as well.

I mean, what's the point in not using the time? The kids won't like it? That's dumb.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2011, 03:36 PM
I wonder how many years he has been doing this..I know they are winning more games than when he started..

NormanPride
10/19/2011, 03:38 PM
That is a good question.

badger
10/19/2011, 03:39 PM
I wonder how many years he has been doing this..I know they are winning more games than when he started..

If he would just make practice optional they'd be national champions already :stunned:

WildBlueSooner
10/19/2011, 03:40 PM
They have been utilizing the extra time humping sheep...and I have been told it is a very tedious process which will lead to superior strength and conditioning (Coach glASS is very good). It may be just enough to get them past the gooners!

8timechamps
10/19/2011, 03:47 PM
I understand that practice can reach a point of diminishing returns, and seeing how they have played on offense, I can understand it. However, if my defense were playing like the Cowboy's defense, I'd at least have those guys out there the maximum allowable time.

NormanPride
10/19/2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, to me this sends a terrible message. But whatever... they're winning for now...

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/19/2011, 04:56 PM
i heard next year their practices will consist of 4 hours a week just playin NCAA onXbox. This way they can "watch game film", and improve hand-eye coordination. Its a process...

oumartin
10/19/2011, 05:14 PM
well it's working for them so I can't see where there's a problem with it..

cccasooner2
10/19/2011, 05:26 PM
If he would just make practice optional they'd be national champions already :stunned:

Good one. :D

picasso
10/19/2011, 06:19 PM
That has more to do with ****ty competition.

Al Gore
10/19/2011, 09:37 PM
More quality "sheep" time...

CowboyMRW
10/19/2011, 10:15 PM
i heard next year their practices will consist of 4 hours a week just playin NCAA onXbox. This way they can "watch game film", and improve hand-eye coordination. Its a process...

If this is true I think I might try and walkon. I'm pretty good at NCAA '12 and could teach some of the players a few things on there haha

starclassic tama
10/20/2011, 12:30 AM
if the team is mature enough to handle it then it could pay dividends. all teams are not created equally, and the nick saban hellfire approach may not always be the correct choice. gundy knows his team well, and as of right now his approach is paying off.

StoopTroup
10/20/2011, 12:46 AM
Most of our time is spent in the film room. But actual pads time, this article is correct. Mondays are off. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are full pads, and then a walk through Thursday.

I'm not worried about our conditioning. We have one of the best college S&C coach in the country in Coach Glass.

CowboyMRW=Mike Gumby

He's got so much damn time on his hands he can frequent an OU Message Board.

Now....what's this stupid thread about again?

CowboyMRW
10/20/2011, 12:54 AM
Is there anyway to change usernames? I like all the vCash I've won and don't want to start at 500 again haha. Which one of yall are Stoops? I could really use some pointers to win this year's game. 0-6 versus one team is not a good feeling.

agoo758
10/20/2011, 01:22 AM

cleller
10/20/2011, 06:38 AM
Its all a big lie.

Dang I wish this game was in Norman.

GottaHavePride
10/20/2011, 08:07 AM
If film room time counts toward the 20 hr max according to the NCAA, and Gundy is only counting actual on-field practice time in his 4 hours, then we may just be arguing about terminology.

badger
10/20/2011, 08:32 AM
If film room time counts toward the 20 hr max according to the NCAA, and Gundy is only counting actual on-field practice time in his 4 hours, then we may just be arguing about terminology.

I don't know how it could... does study time count as a classroom credit? Nah. Plus, there would be soooo many violators of this rule out there. :)

soonerboy_odanorth
10/20/2011, 08:36 AM
Well I know who is utilizing all 20 hours... Kansas State. Which is what gives them the edge to beat us next weekend.

NormanPride
10/20/2011, 10:05 AM
Did Kansas State lift weights, too?

Breadburner
10/20/2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

badger
10/20/2011, 10:37 AM
Did Kansas State lift weights, too?

They stir the fiber drinks for Coach Snyder. Once a player drank some, thinking it was Tang. The player was regular for a week after that. Perhaps that is why they are so regularly consistent with their winning this year, hmmm? Been mixing in some "Tang" instead of orange gatorade for the players, Old Man Snyder?

badger
10/20/2011, 10:43 AM
Is there anyway to change usernames? I like all the vCash I've won and don't want to start at 500 again haha. Which one of yall are Stoops? I could really use some pointers to win this year's game. 0-6 versus one team is not a good feeling.

Pbbbth, you're gonna lose it all this weekend anyway when Mizzou crushes ya ;)

47straight
10/20/2011, 12:46 PM
Pretty soon the cowpokes will be spitting out "Cheat'n Gooners! Practicing during their entire allotted practice time! Classless Stoopsie runnin' it up as usual."

jaux
10/20/2011, 01:03 PM
It's because Blackmon, Weedon and Smith can't miss the swing shift at SHORTCAKE'S

StoopTroup
10/20/2011, 01:29 PM
Still our starting cheerleaders can crush Gumby's Cheerleaders

IBleedCrimson
12/12/2011, 11:06 PM
How much of the little brother's success was due to these shorter practice times?

With shorter practice times, would the number of injuries we sustained in practice (Casey Walker's throat, Still's concussion, TL's toe) have been reduced?

Was this a factor in OSU's high energy and our lack of?

^ These were questions a friend asked me today.

Told him I think a full practice has more benefits than negatives. SheepLover's success was due to high talent level. Practice injuries might have been less, but the football Gods would still be pissed off and get us back elsewhere. OSU's high energy was the result of trying to play for a MNC and their 1st outright conference title in the gunsights.

Thoughts?

Peeb
12/12/2011, 11:20 PM
How much of the little brother's success was due to these shorter practice times?

With shorter practice times, would the number of injuries we sustained in practice (Casey Walker's throat, Still's concussion, TL's toe) have been reduced?

Was this a factor in OSU's high energy and our lack of?

^ These were questions a friend asked me today.

Told him I think a full practice has more benefits than negatives. SheepLover's success was due to high talent level. Practice injuries might have been less, but the football Gods would still be pissed off and get us back elsewhere. OSU's high energy was the result of trying to play for a MNC and their 1st outright conference title in the gunsights.

Thoughts?
I've never coached D-1 football but my (unschooled) opinion is that there is no "correct" answer. Each coach needs to figure out a regime that works best for his situation.

In other words, Gundy was neither more or less clever than his contemporaries. The way the math worked out THIS season, his approach seemed to work best for his crew. Next season? Maybe yes, maybe no. We shall see.

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 02:10 PM
When you have a 28 year old quarterback and good leadership all around, there is less wasted time in practice. Just my observations.

goingoneight
12/13/2011, 03:20 PM
^True.

That will change with a younger team next year.

Tear Down This Wall
12/13/2011, 03:25 PM
This bickering is pointless. What matters to Bob Stoops is beating Ball State 62-6 and players setting individual records. We've done that. Injuries and national championship be damned!

Ryan Broyles is the all-time leading collegiate receiver, catching many of those passes in worthless blowout time. We should be happy for Ryan and less concerned with national titles. We win enough Big 12 titles for Bob Stoops to smugly answer anyone's questioning of his methods of handling his roster, pulling starters, practice time, etc.

Quit questioning Bob and be happy with your Insight Bowl that half the roster will miss due to injury!

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 03:32 PM
^True.

That will change with a younger team next year.

I think we beat them, and by a lot. Does not matter who we have at QB....its Nompton.

IBleedCrimson
12/13/2011, 05:20 PM
This bickering is pointless.

One could appreciate all your b*tching, except for this opening comment.

No one was bickering until you posted.